Is Idzig good?

Jetfanincanada

The better GMs hang on to their cash until all the ludicrous feeding-frenzy bloated contracts subside, then make realistic offers to those that are still left, and those that get released over the next week or so.  The only guy I would've liked that got signed so far is Schwarz and he'll be way overpaid.

I mean what has he done really that gives us such faith in him?

I would feel better if Rex had total control over the franchise.

The deal he got for Revis was pretty impressive. Injured CB who wanted to get paid $16M/year and only one suitor? Thumbs up.

He could have kept Revis for 1 more year and dealt with his situation in Feb like a lot of fans wanted. Would have been a disgusting mistake.

Stuck to his board with the #13 pick even though the last thing we needed was another DT. Got arguably the best player in the whole draft by doing so.

I think Ivory was worth a 4th round pick.

He didn't reach on Geno Smith when it would have been understandable to do so.

He dumped Santonio Holmes.

He's probably dumping Mark Sanchez.

He didn't chase after pure UFAs that weren't noticeably better than the FAs we added, leading to the maximum compensatory picks this year.

He didn't try to keep Mike DeVito or Sione Pouha or Bart Scott past their value to the team.

He didn't offer a huge contract with big guarantees for the better Landry. Our safety problem is chiefly in coverage and LaRon is barely better than Eric Smith in that dept.

He did not bring back Eric Smith.

He didn't extend David Harris for another 3-5 years to lower his cap # last season (I think lots of GMs would have).

Same thing I said about Harris goes quadruple for Mark Sanchez.

He does not appear to be caving in to Austin Howard who reportedly wants a ludicrous $7M/year.

Not bad for 13 months as GM. The bar was low last year because of the team's situation and the resources available to change it. But he's not going to be graded on a curve like that forever. This season will be a pretty good test. Not just in bringing people in, but in exhibiting restraint where it is called for and not panicking into a bad move.

The deal he got for Revis was pretty impressive.

He could have kept Revis for 1 more year and dealt with his situation in Feb like a lot of fans wanted. Would have been a disgusting mistake.

Stuck to his board with the #13 pick even though the last thing we needed was another DT. Got arguably the best player in the whole draft by doing so.

He didn't chase after pure UFAs that weren't noticeably better than the FAs we added, leading to the maximum compensatory picks this year.

He didn't try to keep Mike DeVito or Sione Pouha or Bart Scott past their value to the team.

He didn't offer a huge contract with big guarantees for the better Landry. Our safety problem is chiefly in coverage and LaRon is barely better than Eric Smith in that dept.

He didn't extend David Harris for another 3-5 years to lower his cap # last season (I think lots of GMs would have).

He does not appear to be caving in to Austin Howard who reportedly wants a ludicrous $7M/year.

Not bad for 13 months as GM. The bar was low last year because of the team's situation and the resources available to change it. But he's not going to be graded on a curve like that forever. This season will be a pretty good test. Not just in bringing people in, but in exhibiting restraint where it is called for and not panicking into a bad move.

All very good points. I don't like him going after Vick. Vick sux, I want good players, not sucky dog killers.

good list sperm, but he whiffed on a chance to send a message to the team by keeping a thug turd (because he is fast) who puked in his own lap while parked in a car in the middle of a highway

cutting said turd would have made for a pretty nice first year

The deal he got for Revis was pretty impressive. Injured CB who wanted to get paid $16M/year and only one suitor? Thumbs up.

meh. most of this is in the idiots guide to gm'ing

good list sperm, but he whiffed on a chance to send a message to the team by keeping a thug turd (because he is fast) who puked in his own lap while parked in a car in the middle of a highway

cutting said turd would have made for a pretty nice first year

He wasn't hurting anyone. On some levels I actually felt bad for Goodson. He didn't go out of his way to be a team problem. He didn't carry himself with a f*ck-everyone attitude. Hung out with the wrong guy who he used to know from when they were kids. But he wasn't driving, he didn't kill anyone, and he wasn't out to do anything to anyone. He was freaking wasted. I've been wasted before.

Like it or not, the message he simultaneously sent to the team is that the team isn't going to abandon you in your hour of need. Had he been the driver Idzik may have handled it differently. We'll never know, of course.

meh. most of this is in the idiots guide to gm'ing

I disagree. I think there are a lot of GMs who would have done a number of these things differently, and this was by no means a definitive list of everything done.

It's easy to say, with the benefit of hindsight, that anyone would have done the right thing just like the guy who did them right.

Likewise, there were other things that he didn't hit on. But when someone has to hit on low-priced players and rookies in their rookie season, that does make the job more difficult. As such, a lot of people - myself included - kept that in mind when assessing the job he did. If he had $45M in cap space and a dozen draft picks and last year's haul was the result, then his grade would have been worse. But due to the crappola situation he was hired under - including, for better or worse, removing the ability to hire his own HC - he got graded on a curve of sorts.

I'm not ready to announce Idzik as my favorite GM of all time or anything, but I'd say he's done an above average job to date. However this is a new season and he'll be graded on it without the benefit of that curve.

I disagree. I think there are a lot of GMs who would have done a number of these things differently, and this was by no means a definitive list of everything done.

It's easy to say, with the benefit of hindsight, that anyone would have done the right thing just like the guy who did them right.

Likewise, there were other things that he didn't hit on. But when someone has to hit on low-priced players and rookies in their rookie season, that does make the job more difficult. As such, a lot of people - myself included - kept that in mind when assessing the job he did. If he had $45M in cap space and a dozen draft picks and last year's haul was the result, then his grade would have been worse. But due to the crappola situation he was hired under - including, for better or worse, removing the ability to hire his own HC - he got graded on a curve of sorts.

I'm not ready to announce Idzik as my favorite GM of all time or anything, but I'd say he's done an above average job to date. However this is a new season and he'll be graded on it without the benefit of that curve.

Above average? He's brought ONE impact player to this roster. ONE. And we all know Rex is the reason Richardson is here. The rest of his first draft was AT BEST mediocre, his first FA was terrible, today was terrible. MARK SANCHEZ IS STILL ON THE ROSTER!!!!! How is that above average?

sperm, don't get me wrong. I think he did a fine job last year, all things considered. wasn't happy with every move he made,but as a whole and on a curve, not much to complain about. I was referring to the list that you made. most were no brainers. cant really pat him on the back and you cant criticize him, either. there is no curve this year,however, and this is the year you start making your judgements about him. so, far he is making the no brainer cuts and he got folk signed. good moves, but all pretty standard. I wish he would have locked howard down last year and I think it was a mistake waiting till he did, but your right, we don't know when he started negotiations. I just hope he is as well planned as advertised and has some good plan b options when his plan a's don't work out

Archived