Why....

SoFlaJets

Is the question we have been asking ourselves and each other ever since we all started getting together on Jets' message boards.  I know for a lot of us it began in the mid-to late 90's on The old Rivals Boards, then Matt's Greenhouse and Addicts, JI, and then/now; here-on Jets nation.

It seems that the internet started to hit it's stride just as Woody Johnson was awarded the New York Jets over The Dolan group. Every season since, we have all been sitting at our keyboards wondering why whenever Free Agency starts in March the Jets, having all of these needs and are NEVER in the running for any of the top tiered players. It's always seems to be the same teams that get the big name FA players. It's always like Denver or Pittsburgh, New England, and even Washington for some reason (crazy rich owner?) was ALWAYS a player. The Jets are the team that has always had guys say thanks but no thanks-the Jets idea of a big free agency signing is RE-signing guys they let go at a better price. 

The biggest problem that faces our team and GM, is a simple one; Less and less people even want to play for the New York Jets anymore. Amazingly a few years ago the Jets had 10 million dollars of cap space and couldn't even sign a decent wide receiver. Whatever the reasons are, and we can come up a bunch of them ourselves. Be it the division we're in, the owner we have, the HC we have, the market we're in, the stadium we continue to share with a better team (don't even start) or some perceived jinx associated with this team, we are always left to pick up the scraps. 

All I know is one thing: the Jets and GM John Idzik better start being really good at drafting starting players or we will continue to be the Cleveland Browns or worse year after year.

Calvin Pace

Allen Faneca

Damien Woody

Kris Jenkins

Bart Scott

Santonio Holmes

Antonio Cromartie

Laron Landry

Tim Tebow

LT

Trevor Price

Tony Richardson

Brett Farve

Thomas Jones

We never sign good big name players. Stupid Idzik and Eric Decker.

Is the question we have been asking ourselves and each other ever since we all started getting together on Jets' message boards.  I know for a lot of us it began in the mid-to late 90's on The old Rivals Boards, then Matt's Greenhouse and Addicts, JI, and then/now; here-on Jets nation.

It seems that the internet started to hit it's stride just as Woody Johnson was awarded the New York Jets over The Dolan group. Every season since, we have all been sitting at our keyboards wondering why whenever Free Agency starts in March the Jets, having all of these needs and are NEVER in the running for any of the top tiered players. It's always seems to be the same teams that get the big name FA players. It's always like Denver or Pittsburgh, New England, and even Washington for some reason (crazy rich owner?) was ALWAYS a player. The Jets are the team that has always had guys say thanks but no thanks-the Jets idea of a big free agency signing is RE-signing guys they let go at a better price. 

The biggest problem that faces our team and GM, is a simple one; Less and less people even want to play for the New York Jets anymore. Amazingly a few years ago the Jets had 10 million dollars of cap space and couldn't even sign a decent wide receiver. Whatever the reasons are, and we can come up a bunch of them ourselves. Be it the division we're in, the owner we have, the HC we have, the market we're in, the stadium we continue to share with a better team (don't even start) or some perceived jinx associated with this team, we are always left to pick up the scraps. 

All I know is one thing: the Jets and GM John Idzik better start being really good at drafting starting players or we will continue to be the Cleveland Browns or worse year after year.

:face:

Do you really long for the "good old days" of the Leon Hess era?

How bad is your memory? 

Has anyone ever looked at the bright side and say THANK YOU GOD that we are not owned by the Dolans? I do every morning. Can you even imagine?

The Dolans have completely ruined my enjoyment of basketball. I am pretty much no longer an NBA fan at all because of James Dolan. 

If he owned the Jets, I might have to go Hinkley on him. 

Has anyone ever looked at the bright side and say THANK YOU GOD that we are not owned by the Dolans? I do every morning. Can you even imagine?

No, I figure we probably would still not have won a SB yet, but we WOULD have be able to watch the Jets in a cool stadium on the West side of Manhattan Island with these two words emblazoned above our heads as we walked in: JETS STADIUM

No, I figure we probably would still not have won a SB yet, but we WOULD have be able to watch the Jets in a cool stadium on the West side of Manhattan Island with these two words emblazoned above our heads as we walked in: JETS STADIUM

You give Jimmy Dolan too much credit. 

Leon Hess approached the Dolans about making the WSS the new Garden and the Dolans turned him down. 

Calvin Pace

Allen Faneca

Damien Woody

Kris Jenkins

Bart Scott

Santonio Holmes

Antonio Cromartie

Laron Landry

Tim Tebow

LT

Trevor Price

Tony Richardson

Brett Farve

Thomas Jones

We never sign good big name players. Stupid Idzik and Eric Decker.

Technically we traded for like 6 of those guys. #doesntcount

No offense, but you're dreaming if you think the Dolans would have built a $2B stadium in NYC and would not have sold the naming rights.  It never would have said Jets Stadium.  Never.  

Oh, and MetLife Stadium sucks.

Jets have one of the longest droughts going on finding a franchise QB. Don't get me wrong, you can win without an elite guy but there is one thing the brady, brees, manning type guys usually do for you and that's keep you from those gut punching 11+ loss seasons. Thanks to our defense we are lucky to have not suffered one of those abject failure years recently. It will get awfully crowded underneath the GW bridge if we have one of those Jacksonville-type lost years.

No offense, but you're dreaming if you think the Dolans would have built a $2B stadium in NYC and would not have sold the naming rights.  It never would have said Jets Stadium.  Never.  

Oh, and MetLife Stadium sucks.

OK, I'll give you that, it might have read Jet Blue Stadium

I just went back 5 years and the Jets signed NO top 50 FA's from other teams-NONE 

There were 2 years we were not permitted to by the CBA.  After that was done, there was no cap space to do so either.  

We were supposed to sign a high-priced FA when we were limited to Jay Feely's contract amount?

There were 2 years we were not permitted to by the CBA.  After that was done, there was no cap space to do so either.  

We were supposed to sign a high-priced FA when we were limited to Jay Feely's contract amount?

Players could have been cut or contracts renegotiated I'm sure...we also have to ask ourselves why ther was no cap space left? Who GOT the big re-ups?

who cares, as long as the Giants weren't in the stadium eveey other week ya know?

All I'm gonna say about that is if you think the PSLs and ticket prices are high for Metlife Stadium, think about what they might have been in a domed stadium in Manhattan where you wouldn't be able to tailgate. 

Man did I hate that guy.  I mean sure, he was no Eric Smith, but he was certainly up there.

All I'm gonna say about that is if you think the PSLs and ticket prices are high for Metlife Stadium, think about what they might have been in a domed stadium in Manhattan where you wouldn't be able to tailgate. 

I'll take the dome, no Giants and a nice west side bar restaurant with hot waitresses before the game any day, any time over freezing outside at Metlife. 

Have you even been to Metlife? And fork the PSLs. I only go to one or two games a year now so who cares.

At this time a lot of us would prefer to watch our team lose in comfort.

Players could have been cut or contracts renegotiated I'm sure...we also have to ask ourselves why ther was no cap space left? Who GOT the big re-ups?

It's been pretty well documented here why.  But off the top of my head: Revis, Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Ferguson, Mangold, Scott, Cromartie, Jenkins.  Those are just the tippy-top guys.  Then there are other mid-level ones (still millions but less millions) from DeVito to Moore to Pouha and others like any years' first round picks.

But 2 of those 5 years we were not allowed to sign a FA for greater $ than one we let go of signed elsewhere for.  That's why in 2010 I think our big FA splash was Taylor.  He was the most expensive FA we were allowed to sign because that's how much Feely got from Arizona.

I'll take the dome, no Giants and a nice west side bar restaurant with hot waitresses before the game any day, any time over freezing outside at Metlife.

Have you even been to Metlife? And fork the PSLs. I only go to one or two games a year now so who cares.

At this time a lot of us would prefer to watch our team lose in comfort.

Do you live in Manhattan?

Archived