A counter article to the daily news crap

Beaver

http://m.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/03/18/source-jets-deliberately-taking-measured-approach-free-agents/   Source: Jets deliberately taking measured approach with free agents

Despite being linked to multiple big names in free agency this offseason, the Jets haven’t whiffed on as many potential targets as one might think a team executive tells Metro New York.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the team executive tells Metro that while the Jets have engaged in talks with a number of high-profile free agent targets, they “refuse to budge from their salary cap disciplines.”

The source said the Jets evaluate a player on the field and will assign a dollar range they are comfortable with for negotiations. They “will stick to that number, even if it means letting the player walk.”

He called general manager John Idzik “calm and collected and unwilling to mortgage the future for a big splash now.”

The Jets have spent the offseason making a number of under-the-radar moves, including signing kicker Nick Folk, linebackers Calvin Pace and Nick Bellore and cornerbacks Ellis Lankster and Darrin Walls to new contracts. In addition, they signed tackle Breno Giacomini to a free agent deal. The big splash signing was wide receiver Eric Decker.

Last offseason, the Jets were limited in their ability to poach free agent talent on the open market due to a tight salary cap situation. This was the result of investment in marquee free agents over previous years, including wide receiver Santonio Holmes and cornerback Antonio Cromartie – both of whom were cut this offseason to create more salary cap space. The source said the Jets showing restraint this offseason doesn’t mean an unwillingness to spend, it just means “that they don’t want to be handcuffed under the cap like last year.”

“It doesn’t mean that we missed on all our targets. We didn’t,” the source said. “It just means that the targets didn’t make sense with what John wants to do, and that is build depth and competition on both sides of the ball — not just a few stars.

“Fans shouldn’t look at it as if the team missed on free agents. We just aren’t going to overpay and ignore other areas of need. We did well with players like Antwan Barnes and Chris Ivory last year, plus we have all of our [draft] picks. The team isn’t done, there is still quality out there. There will be more signings. And this team is poised to be flexible and active through the summer if and when other teams make camp cuts.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

guys we are at a time in this teams development that we do NOT have to break the bank or give in to players demands. We simply have  to many needs ATM and one of the biggest is at WR which up to this point has been addressed with the signing of Eric Decker. We are approaching a draft filled with loads of WR talent and so Im sure we do not need to overpay for guys like James Jones or the oft injured Maclin or the oft Injured Sidney Rice. If they come cheap sure give it a shot but Im sure Idzik has a number in mind they may not like so we move on knowing what the draft has in store.

When it comes to the CB's why would we break the bank for 1 guy ? Do any of you really think any of those corners available are going to have the Revis type years of 09 and 10 ?? Including Revis himself ? if you think that your crazy so 8-12 mil per did not seem like a good option to Idzik either and the word on the street is it pissed off the big baby Rex. My advice to Rex is the STFU :) . He needs to get used to the way this organization is now being run and get on board with that or his ass will be looking for a job next year.

Im looking forward to the draft and possible camp cuts which we know always pop out a few solid players. Should be fun watching the young talent on this football team develop something we have not seen here over the past few years .

I thought this was interesting...

3/12: "Every single NFL team was at Michigan State's Pro Day yesterday... except for the Jets." - Tony Pauline (re: Darqueze Dennard) 

LOL   Pretty ironic considering everything going on right now.   The Jets HATE Cornerbacks!!!   :biggrin:

seriously every time i see a negative Jets article on a national website like ESPN or cbssports.com it is always linked to a Manish Mettha article.....every single time......this guy is the reason we are viewed as a joke......would never believe one sportswriter had that much power and clout to shape a perception of a franchise.....Jets should pull every string to get him fired or reassigned off the Jets beat

seriously every time i see a negative Jets article on a national website like ESPN or cbssports.com it is always linked to a Manish Mettha article.....every single time......this guy is the reason we are viewed as a joke......would never believe one sportswriter had that much power and clout to shape a perception of a franchise.....Jets should pull every string to get him fired or reassigned off the Jets beat

Jets should pull daily news press pass/privileges.

guys we are at a time in this teams development that we do NOT have to break the bank or give in to players demands. We simply have  to many needs ATM and one of the biggest is at WR which up to this point has been addressed with the signing of Eric Decker. We are approaching a draft filled with loads of WR talent and so Im sure we do not need to overpay for guys like James Jones or the oft injured Maclin or the oft Injured Sidney Rice. If they come cheap sure give it a shot but Im sure Idzik has a number in mind they may not like so we move on knowing what the draft has in store.

When it comes to the CB's why would we break the bank for 1 guy ? Do any of you really think any of those corners available are going to have the Revis type years of 09 and 10 ?? Including Revis himself ? if you think that your crazy so 8-12 mil per did not seem like a good option to Idzik either and the word on the street is it pissed off the big baby Rex. My advice to Rex is the STFU :) . He needs to get used to the way this organization is now being run and get on board with that or his ass will be looking for a job next year.

Im looking forward to the draft and possible camp cuts which we know always pop out a few solid players. Should be fun watching the young talent on this football team develop something we have not seen here over the past few years .

Yep, that's the way I am looking at it, too.  The only stress I feel about the Jets is when I visit here -- the craziness is inescapable. 

Milliner was playing like a first round rookie corner the last few games of the season.  I do not expect him to regress.  If he had never shown improvement I would be very worried.  But if you think he will play like a first rounder next year, then why go get a roller coaster guy like DRC?  The Jets are actually better off at corner right now they were last year, when AC was the worst corner on the team.  He is gone now.  They may draft one this year but I doubt it is in the first round.  Where they really need a secondary upgrade is at free safety.  They have none.  All their guys are SS.  A real FS roaming the defensive backfield would make a huge difference on this team.

Hmmm could she be perusing the board?

SoFlaJets

2005 Walk-on free agent

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 AM

we have a lot of draft picks and there are still a few players yet available from the Free Agency crop. Also, training camp can be like Christmas Day with it's yearly visits from The Turk, a lot of important players have been reshuffled during the cut periods. Unfortunately for the Jets fans, we have usually been the team that makes the stupid choices of who to keep and who to let go. Hopefully under Idzik we won't have to watch PRODUCTIVE guys like Danny Woodhead get passed over by some useless already out of the league RB or have to endure the constant reminders of the failure of a Gholston, a DuCasse, and now Stephen Hill high draft pick(s). I want to see a more heartless approach in assessing AND ADMITTING TO these type of mistakes...IOW: Cut their goldbricking a$ses

Hmmm could she be perusing the board?

SoFlaJets

2005 Walk-on free agent

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 AM

we have a lot of draft picks and there are still a few players yet available from the Free Agency crop. Also, training camp can be like Christmas Day with it's yearly visits from The Turk, a lot of important players have been reshuffled during the cut periods. Unfortunately for the Jets fans, we have usually been the team that makes the stupid choices of who to keep and who to let go. Hopefully under Idzik we won't have to watch PRODUCTIVE guys like Danny Woodhead get passed over by some useless already out of the league RB or have to endure the constant reminders of the failure of a Gholston, a DuCasse, and now Stephen Hill high draft pick(s). I want to see a more heartless approach in assessing AND ADMITTING TO these type of mistakes...IOW: Cut their goldbricking a$ses

Good catch and it's a he.  I made the same mistake til I heard him on the sny.tv jetsblog podcast one time.

Archived