Goodson's contract re-negotiated.

eboozer

New York Jets No. 2 running back Mike Goodson was set to make $1 million in base salary next season with a $650,000 roster bonus, but the Jets have unsurprisingly restructured his deal following some major injury and off-field issues in his first year with the organization after signing a three-year deal last offseason. ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini reports that the Jets and Goodson have restructured his deal so that his 2014 cap hit will go down from $1.9 million to $1.28 million. This gap leads Cimini to believe that the Jets restructured his $650,000 roster bonus, and it would honestly be a surprise if this weren’t the case.

Last season, Goodson appeared in just two games after tearing his ACL and MCL in mid-October. He missed the first four games of the season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and only managed to play in the Week 5 and 6 games against the Atlanta Falcons and Pittsburgh Steelers. Goodson had a nice seven carries for 61 yards and two receptions for 19 yards in a limited role in both of those games, but he was still a major disappointment.

The 26-year-old will be cheap in 2014, and he still has upside for the Jets. Goodson has the tools to be a good backup for Chris Ivory, and we all remember his very good 2010 season with the Carolina Panthers when he averaged 4.4 yards per carry on 103 carries and also added 40 receptions. It’s going to be interesting to see if he can give the Jets that sort of needed all-purpose ability next season, and his talent and potential value outweigh his off-field issues and injuries enough so that John Idzik feels comfortable enough to keep him following a restructuring.

I'm going to laugh at you clowns when the Jets win 10+ gams this season.

:jawdrop:  I personally hope you're right. To be in the hunt all season for a playoff spot would bring me great joy. I'll be $150 lighter in the pocket, but it will prevent me from smashing the $1200 flat screen, so, in the long run, I'm ahead in the game. [-o<

it should be renegotiated to $0 , as in your ass is cut clown

In his limited time he looked really good in the pass-catching role.  He's very fast.  I want to see what he can do when healthy and out of legal trouble. 

Ivory, Powell, Goodson.  Easily the best trio of backs we've had since Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan and.....Jerald Sowell?  Whoever the f*ck the 3rd guy was.

In his limited time he looked really good in the pass-catching role.  He's very fast.  I want to see what he can do when healthy and out of legal trouble. 

Ivory, Powell, Goodson.  Easily the best trio of backs we've had since Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan and.....Jerald Sowell?  Whoever the f*ck the 3rd guy was.

whatever he can do, it is not as valuable as the message that would have been sent to act like a professional and don't embarrass the franchise

whatever he can do, it is not as valuable as the message that would have been sent to act like a professional and don't embarrass the franchise

We already sent a message by cutting Santonio and all the other dead weight.  Goodson has been in rehab for a while now.  I think they're looking to see if he's willing to commit himself to getting cleaned up and offer him a 2nd chance.  I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

It's a good depth signing,.he can be explosive and looked good in his one full game..( Atlanta if I remember )....I'm sorry if this makes me an awful person but I just can't get worried about the arrest, i just can't...he's not dating my daughter.

We already sent a message by cutting Santonio and all the other dead weight.  Goodson has been in rehab for a while now.  I think they're looking to see if he's willing to commit himself to getting cleaned up and offer him a 2nd chance.  I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

Agreed, and the message thing a lot of times is fiction that the media sells fans....Philbin really took command of that Miami locker room by cutting ocho huh?

It's a good depth signing,.he can be explosive and looked good in his one full game..( Atlanta if I remember )....I'm sorry if this makes me an awful person but I just can't get worried about the arrest, i just can't...he's not dating my daughter.

Not yet.

decent draft, few guys step up, and a few signings... We aren't far off. Our wr's were terrible last season. F gates.

Our roster looks really not bad all of a sudden, even before the draft.  Even moreso if Geno is the guy to bring it all together.  This is the most confident I've felt about the Jets long-term future in a long time.

Our roster looks really not bad all of a sudden, even before the draft.  Even moreso if Geno is the guy to bring it all together.  This is the most confident I've felt about the Jets long-term future in a long time.

im 100% with you. Sure I would have liked a signing or two, but we are still better than last season. Give me 1 more OL, 1 corner, and another wr... Let's go.

im 100% with you. Sure I would have liked a signing or two, but we are still better than last season. Give me 1 more OL, 1 corner, and another wr... Let's go.

How bout a TE and S too just for the hell of it :) I'm with you guys though I haven't felt this positive about the Jets in forever.

How bout a TE and S too just for the hell of it :) I'm with you guys though I haven't felt this positive about the Jets in forever.

Keller is still out there. And our safety play wasn't all that bad. I do wish we had a bruiser back there. Give me Kam Chancellor-esque play!

Keller is still out there. And our safety play wasn't all that bad. I do wish we had a bruiser back there. Give me Kam Chancellor-esque play!

Wouldn't mind a Keller reunion. I'm not sure if he signed yet but I was also thinking about Owen Daniels. He's a really good pass catching TE. And as far as S goes I would love a bruiser back there as well.

We already sent a message by cutting Santonio and all the other dead weight.  I think they're looking to see if he's willing to commit himself to getting cleaned up and offer him a 2nd chance.  I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

Oh, so we are signing Vick??

With these last 2, we're up to 25% of the roster positions.

how do we know that Goodson's injury doesn't slow him down, like you say may have happened to Keller? Goodson obviously relies on speed, and he may never be the same, ala Leon Washington. Or was his injury less severe?

Roscoe, For Idzik to do this deal, as opposed to cutting him, I would suppose that they have seen or had reports of his rehab. For all we know, he may be woking out in Florham Park. Maybe the DA told him he can't leave the state before trial and has been rehabbing in Florham Park.

They must be somewhat impressed by what they've seen

Archived