Stop telling me to get an iPhone

Maxman

Status symbol. Thats what the iphone is. Personal preferences aside, It is really functionally no better or worse than any top line smart phone running android or windows. It grabbed the cool factor early and satisfies the cool status the herd mentality craves.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What needs does an iPhone meet that an Android doesn't? I'm really asking. And I don't particularly care who gets what.

I don't care who gets what either. I'm being sincere when I say this, but it depends on the user. It's less about what the phone does, and more about how the owner wants to use it, and what for. The space between what they want to do and how well the software and hardware combine to do it, informs the experience, the experience informs the impression and determines customer satisfaction.

It literally has NOTHING to do with sales figures. A $15 Nokie slab phone can "out-perform" a smartphone, depending on what the user goals are. This was my whole point, and why I say and stand by saying that they are both viable devices and that performance is all about context. 

I'll say it for the fifth time. Sales and market share are the single best metric of "who's better than who" that you, me, or a five year old could point out. To argue that they're essentially equals in product quality,  etc, is just totally inaccurate.

Don't be sour, I said you won.

So you are wrong 5 times over. I spend my career making experience design recommendations driven by user research, so even though I don't have a MBA, I have much better metrics to determine how satisfied customers are. I would also point out, yet again, that I'm not arguing "who is better". At this point, you've either chosen to be extremely dense about this, or demonstrated why MBA's are worthless.

Bold: To imply that is what I've been arguing is the ONLY thing that is totally inaccurate here. 

Using sales figures to determine "who's better then who" measures many things besides the quality of the product, by your measure, Justin Bieber is better them Miles Davis

Haha... bingo.

You can't lump art and technology. Also, two different generations.

Oy.

I think you failed to mention that you work on Wall Street.... selling hot nuts on the corner.

they have a point..  was a Wi better than a PS3 or Xbox because it sold more?  way more.

ZOMG

Oy.

I think you failed to mention that you work on Wall Street.... selling hot nuts on the corner.

ZOMG

I'll address this later, I'm headed home. You had nothing new to say until these two dopes gave you a new string to chase.

Your appearance in this thread was to declare that those who entered this argument were all wrong simply for doing so.  That's not "a different take", it's nonsense, and to make such a statement on a message board of all places removes any merit it could have had on general principle.  Although I do appreciate that your response to my noting your tendency to make statements about what others think and why, was to tell me what I think and why.

Frankly, I'm not even sure how to respond to this assertion that your presentation of an opposing viewpoint isn't an "argument", particularly given your attempts to be so condescending about it.  Arguing semantics is pretty lame, doing so incorrectly is just plain funny.

The sad part about this, and your last 2 posts, is you probably don't realize how ******* ironic they are.

Tell me I'm being condescending, by acting like a pompous hall monitor.

Tell me I'm generalizing, by generalizing what I said and did.

Tell me about how I argue semantics, by splitting hairs and posting the definition of "argument".

You sure told me. 

I'll address this later, I'm headed home. You had nothing new to say until these two dopes gave you a new string to chase.

Yes, thank goodness for Pac and CTM. Nevermind, the drumming I gave you on the previous page to which you offered quite possible the most ridiculous rebuttal of the whole thread.

I was with you for much of the exchange and am still on the fence who has won the overall duel.  I'm just pointing out there are a couple flaws in your position..  doesn't mean you still can't win..  whatever winning means lol.

The sad part about this, and your last 2 posts, is you probably don't realize how ******* ironic they are.

Tell me I'm being condescending, by acting like a pompous hall monitor.

Tell me I'm generalizing, by generalizing what I said and did.

Tell me about how I argue semantics, by splitting hairs and posting the definition of "argument".

You sure told me.

LOL. You should have just saved yourself some time and wrote "I know you are but what am I".

I was with you for much of the exchange and am still on the fence who has won the overall duel. I'm just pointing out there are a couple flaws in your position.. doesn't mean you still can't win.. whatever winning means lol.

He's posting pictures of nut carts and resorting to pot shots.... I think the Ape's fragile ego has a bruise

Hijack and making fools of yourselves aside, which phone / os is better? No.... really.

We are not allowed to discuss that.  They are both the same, only different. It depends on the experience to which the user aims.  You want to discuss what experience to which you aim?  We are also not allowed to discuss that.  We are all just mindless sheep, worshipping on the mighty altar of brand marketing by making emotionally driven decisions.  You want to discuss your emotions?  Fag. 

We are not allowed to discuss that.  They are both the same, only different. It depends on the experience to which the user aims.  You want to discuss what experience to which you aim?  We are also not allowed to discuss that.  We are all just mindless sheep, worshipping on the mighty altar of brand marketing by making emotionally driven decisions.  You want to discuss your emotions?  Fag. 

the iphone you have stuck up your a ss on vibe mode seems to be getting to ya. can you hear me now?

I was with you for much of the exchange and am still on the fence who has won the overall duel.  I'm just pointing out there are a couple flaws in your position..  doesn't mean you still can't win..  whatever winning means lol.

LOL

LOL. You should have just saved yourself some time and wrote "I know you are but what am I".

Yeah, okay.

Hijack and making fools of yourselves aside, which phone / os is better? No.... really.

It's a thread about smartphones, in which smartphones are being discussed. Perhaps BleedinVageen can post the definition of hijack for you.

Actually, I responded to Arsis. I said nothing about my marketing credentials. I simply pointed out he was comparing an operating system to hardware. At this point, you've got off the reservation... I'm not going to get into he-said, she-said with you. 

You argued for Android. Got it. I tried to talk about customer behavior, loyalty and advocacy. You tried to keep bending it back to the Android vs. Apple thing. There's nothing I can really do with you or that, I'm not going to recite the rehashed pro-Apple talking points you are looking for. It's a waste of time. 

The battery life thing is an example, btw, if it were a weak example then explain to me why battery life is a well-established talking point in every review of every smartphone, or why battery life is included in the short list of specs on every device? It's a very, very good example actually. There's an entire after-market battery industry. THAT is why there hasn't been any real innovation in battery life, there's no incentive. You call that example weak, then make a statement like the bold? LOL childish.

What are your Marketing credentials?

And you made another post with STFU in it.  Maybe you are joking there as well, but seriously there is no need for that kind of talk here. Don't do it.

What are your Marketing credentials?

And you made another post with STFU in it.  Maybe you are joking there as well, but seriously there is no need for that kind of talk here. Don't do it.

LOL... STFU and GFY are staples of communication on this site. 

Zero.. he makes pretty pictures and thinks it gives him a unique insight into marketing.

lol, awesome.

Well I think this post clears everything up. We can all go home now. Good job everybody, all of you did some great work.

I actually still take mine out when we have company hoping it will happen again. I even try to talk to the other player when one is batting. I find someone getting knocked in the head way more entertaining than the game itself.

Well I think this post clears everything up. We can all go home now. Good job everybody, all of you did some great work.

I actually still take mine out when we have company hoping it will happen again. I even try to talk to the other player when one is batting. I find someone getting knocked in the head way more entertaining than the game itself.

Zero.. he makes pretty pictures and thinks it gives him a unique insight into marketing.

I used tobe a VP if Marketing that's why I asked. Thought I was missing out on an important credential lol.

You don't always have to be so confrontational.

I'm not "always" confrontational.

I came into this thread and tried to make it a discussion. It was mired in being Apple vs. ???? standard jargon. I challenged that, and introduced the notion that you cannot properly assess which is better unless you define the performance variables. I didn't come in arguing, I came in suggesting we look and think about the topic differently. That was immediately met with dissatisfaction, it was confronted by other posters, because I wasn't falling into either group A or group B, thus the interwebz debate champs weren't getting canned arguments from me that they already knew how to counter. This is why Lizzie went down the path of debating things I never brought up, he refused to let it being anything other than A vs. B. 

So, you can paint me however you want, but my intent was just to make it a smarter conversation. To challenge people NOT to just hurl the canned crap back and forth, and to actually think about what performance truly is. It isn't specs on the side of a box, it isn't sales figures ... it is the perception that you, the user, have done what you wanted to with the device. If that is consistently accomplished, then you have a viable device. Even if it's not necessarily the most superior technology on the market.

If having the expectation that an intelligent conversation could be had in place of a debate makes me the bad guy. Oh well. I'm not apologizing for having high expectations of JN members. I post here because the collective IQ is higher than the other Jets sites.

I'm not "always" confrontational.

I came into this thread and tried to make it a discussion. It was mired in being Apple vs. ???? standard jargon. I challenged that, and introduced the notion that you cannot properly assess which is better unless you define the performance variables. I didn't come in arguing, I came in suggesting we look and think about the topic differently. That was immediately met with dissatisfaction, it was confronted by other posters, because I wasn't falling into either group A or group B, thus the interwebz debate champs weren't getting canned arguments from me that they already knew how to counter. This is why Lizzie went down the path of debating things I never brought up, he refused to let it being anything other than A vs. B. 

So, you can paint me however you want, but my intent was just to make it a smarter conversation. To challenge people NOT to just hurl the canned crap back and forth, and to actually think about what performance truly is. It isn't specs on the side of a box, it isn't sales figures ... it is the perception that you, the user, have done what you wanted to with the device. If that is consistently accomplished, then you have a viable device. Even if it's not necessarily the most superior technology on the market.

If having the expectation that an intelligent conversation could be had in place of a debate makes me the bad guy. Oh well. I'm not apologizing for having high expectations of JN members. I post here because the collective IQ is higher than the other Jets sites.

The only two things I asked of you in this thread is 1) to not personally attack others and 2) to not tell others to STFU.

That isn't asking a lot of you.

The only two things I asked of you in this thread is 1) to not personally attack others and 2) to not tell others to STFU.

That isn't asking a lot of you.

You are speaking to a creature that doesn't know how to use a toilet, being civil is a lot to ask 

Archived