The race is on to find the No. 2 Jets wide receiver

F.Chowds

Who’s No. 2?

That is the biggest question facing the Jets as they open a mini-camp Tuesday, as in: Who will be this team’s No. 2 wide receiver?

The Jets went out in free agency and signed Eric Decker from the Broncos to a five-year, $36.25 million deal. Some question whether Decker is an actual No. 1 receiver, but he will be for the Jets this season.

The mystery surrounds who will be on the opposite side of the field from him. Jeremy Kerley led the team with 43 receptions last year, but he is more of a slot receiver than one who lines up on the outside.

During the Jets’ recent organized team activities, David Nelson and Stephen Hill saw the most reps at the second wide-receiver spot during the sessions the media were permitted to watch.

Nothing will be determined over the next three days, but someone can take the lead in the competition that begins in full next month during training camp.

Hill will be one of the most fascinating players to watch during the next two months. The team’s second-round pick in 2012, Hill has battled knee injuries and inconsistent play in his first two years. But he still is only 23 years old and has the physical gifts to be a deep threat.

Wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal said Hill has played well this spring. Despite Hill’s struggles and the criticism that has come along with them, Lal praised Hill’s mentality.

“From what I see, I think he’s very confident,” Lal said. “I don’t know how much deep down what everyone’s written about him and the image he’s been portrayed with, how deeply it’s affected him. I don’t know. He doesn’t show it outwardly. But at some level when people write negative things about you it has to affect you in some way. He’s a strong person mentally. He understands that a lot of what’s written, the people may not know what happened or what the reason was. He’s smart enough to understand that difference.”

Nelson took many of the first-team snaps during the final OTA session open to the media, and figures to be the favorite to land the second starting spot entering training camp. He joined the team in the middle of last season and finished with 36 catches for 423 yards and two touchdowns.

The other contenders for the spot are Jacoby Ford and rookies Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans.

Three other things to watch

1. Will Dee be out there?

Cornerback Dee Milliner has been limited by a hamstring injury during OTAs. The Jets are counting on him this year. Can he practice?

2. How are the guards?

Willie Colon, the expected starter at right guard, is out after knee surgery. Second-year player Brian Winters moved from left to right guard last week with Oday Aboushi, another 2013 draft pick, playing left. If Colon is sidelined in training camp, this could be a problem area for the Jets.

3. Is Amaro catching on?

Rookie tight end Jace Amaro has been thrown in with the starting team during OTAs. He’s had some good moments, and others when he looks like a rookie.

While the starter on the outside across from Decker is important, its not our "# 2 receiver" we're looking for.  Decker will be Geno's top option, followed closely by Kerley.  So really we're just trying to answer the question "Who gets the 3rd-most targets?".  Amaro, Nelson, Hill and the rookies are all in the mix. 

Hopefully Amaro is that guy who can help take the pressure off Decker and Kerley.  And when all is said and done, if Hill is worthless it'll be Nelson who steps into the role on the outside.

I wouldn't count on Hill, but I certainly wouldn't count him out, either. Athletically, he has it all over Nelson. It's not unusual for a WR to get it together in his third season, and Hill -I think- is unfairly judged around here. Maybe he was over drafted, but he was always a project. Now he's in his second year in the same offense, with the same QB, for the first time in his pro career. Could be time. I could see him as the between the 20s #2, with Nelson coming in for red zone/short yardage reps.

Ultimately, I think it'll be a committee on that side of the field. Saunders will get some reps, Evans might be the go-to guy if Hill or Nelson gets hurt, and Ford is going to do all he can to win a roster spot. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets leading receivers this year are Decker, Kerley, and Chris Johnson.

I wouldn't count on Hill, but I certainly wouldn't count him out, either. Athletically, he has it all over Nelson. It's not unusual for a WR to get it together in his third season, and Hill -I think- is unfairly judged around here. Maybe he was over drafted, but he was always a project. Now he's in his second year in the same offense, with the same QB, for the first time in his pro career. Could be time. I could see him as the between the 20s #2, with Nelson coming in for red zone/short yardage reps.

Ultimately, I think it'll be a committee on that side of the field. Saunders will get some reps, Evans might be the go-to guy if Hill or Nelson gets hurt, and Ford is going to do all he can to win a roster spot. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets leading receivers this year are Decker, Kerley, and Chris Johnson.

They have to be really rooting hard for Hill.  The next top options are all better suited to the slot - Kerley, Nelson, Amaro, Saunders and even Ford are all probably better out of the slot.  I trust Mornhinweg to use those guys in ways that get the best players on the field regardless, but the guys best suited to outside WR duty are probably Hill, Evans and Enunwa. 

Jeremy Kerely is our no. 2

He can line up in the slot or out wide.  We can have Saunders or Ford take the middle, or we can have Nelson, Evans or Hill take the outside...Kerely is the constant, and he needs to be on the field with Decker no matter what.  

We have better talent and depth at WR this year.

There a lot of rookies. There is some potential. If Sanders can get off the line of scrimmage consistently he can be a potential #2. He is really explosive of his cuts and has got great hands.

If Mike Evans can buy some decent hands he can become our #2 WR. If Enunwa progresses to running decent routes he can be our #2. We will see how much progress we see in the training camp.

Otherwise Kerley starts at #2. Nelson is #3. Hill is the wildcard. If he gets its together he goes from being a question mark (in some fans and medias mind) to being a legit game changer. I saw quite a bit of improvement in Season 2 compared to Season 1.

The WR's they took in the 4th round are garbage. That was clear from draft day till now. Thanks Idzik!

What was clear to me, was that Idzik et al. had the foresight to draft a PR/KR ace (in Saunders) in the fourth round rather than role the dice on a potential outside threat.  (Bruce Ellington?).  

When looking for "diamonds in the rough"  Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa are exactly what "diamonds in the rough" look like at this stage of the process. 

What was clear to me, was that Idzik et al. had the foresight to draft a PR/KR ace (in Saunders) in the fourth round rather than role the dice on a potential outside threat.  (Bruce Ellington?) at that stage in the draft.  

When looking for "diamonds in the rough"  Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa are exactly what they look like at this stage of the process. 

Except that there were MUCH better options there and Saunders is far from a sure thing on ST. 

Herron, Ellington, Bryant all have MUCH higher upside than anyone the jets drafted. 

I was expecting Bryant to be our pick also.  But then again, I was screaming for Moncrief when we took McDougle in the third.  

Saunders, Ellington and Herron all check in at 5'9, but the latter two have thirty pounds on our guy.  That makes me think Jalen was picked up as a return guy (first and foremost), and as a return guy he has value that the others you mention don't. 

This is a first guess. 

Which is why you can't be surprised when people mock you when your first guess insists on already designating 3 different players as "garbage" and stating how that is supposedly "clear", while declaring all of the alternatives as "MUCH" better.  Pretty emphatic statements considering you're essentially admitting to not having much basis for them.

Which is why you can't be surprised when people mock you when your first guess insists on already designating 3 different players as "garbage" and stating how that is supposedly "clear", while declaring all of the alternatives as "MUCH" better.  Pretty emphatic statements considering you're essentially admitting to not having much basis for them.

Their college careers are a basis. 

Their college careers are a basis. 

2013 punt return stats:

Ellington- 3 for 16 yards

Herron- 0 for 0 yards

Saunders- 20 for 308 yards, 2 TDs

2013 receiving stats:

Ellington- 49 for 775, 8 TDs

Herron- 72 for 937, 9 TDs

Saunders- 61 for 729, 8 TDs

The only "MUCH" better stat I see is on special teams contributions. 

Don't really see Decker as a "#1". I think we paid too much for a guy who came into the league with an injury, then played with Tebow , then finally had a decent season with Peyton Manning. I think we might b disappointed.

I'd b very excited about Stephen Hill if I didn't see him play for us last two seasons. Lol

On the other hand, I think CJ was a steal! That's a guaranteed 1000 yards and a couple long TDs....but ED doesn't excite much.

I question this new GMs judgement.... But what do I know..well see

Meh, it's not exactly an important position. As long as the guy looks like an nfler and can run fast we are okay. With Decker/kerley/amaro/cumby/cj1k we have enough targets if Geno plays well.

LMAO. Glad you enjoyed the Jets offense the last few years where they completely ignored that unimportant position. 

While the starter on the outside across from Decker is important, its not our "# 2 receiver" we're looking for. Decker will be Geno's top option, followed closely by Kerley. So really we're just trying to answer the question "Who gets the 3rd-most targets?". Amaro, Nelson, Hill and the rookies are all in the mix.

Hopefully Amaro is that guy who can help take the pressure off Decker and Kerley. And when all is said and done, if Hill is worthless it'll be Nelson who steps into the role on the outside.

This.

LMAO. Glad you enjoyed the Jets offense the last few years where they completely ignored that unimportant position.

Sorry, this is 2014. Traditional wr roles aren't as important. I'm glad you're still stuck in the late 80's.

Don't really see Decker as a "#1". I think we paid too much for a guy who came into the league with an injury, then played with Tebow , then finally had a decent season with Peyton Manning. I think we might b disappointed.

I'd b very excited about Stephen Hill if I didn't see him play for us last two seasons. Lol

On the other hand, I think CJ was a steal! That's a guaranteed 1000 yards and a couple long TDs....but ED doesn't excite much.

I question this new GMs judgement.... But what do I know..well see

I think there seems to be a lot of arguing over semantics about the idea of whether Decker is a #1.  Is he one of those top-level elite guys at the position?  No, I don't think so, and I don't think many others do either.  But few are, and I don't think it's much a stretch to say that he easily falls within the top 32 WRs in the league.

As far as crediting Manning for all Decker accomplished these past two years, while he of course won't likely put up the same kind of numbers with Geno, he had himself a pretty solid year before Manning showed up.  In only his second year in the league, playing with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow, he had 44 rec, 612 yds, 8 TDs.  Far from dominant, but still better than anything the Jets got out of their WRs last year, and it was from a second year pro with crap at QB.  It's not crazy to think that, even without Manning, he's gotten better since then.  And let's just hope the Jets' QB play this year is far better than what Decker had that year, too.  I guess we'll see though.

I could care less about "traditional WR roles." This is about a complete lack of difference making skill players.

TThat's a completely different point and one I agree with you on. I think we had a few good moves this offseason.

TThat's a completely different point and one I agree with you on. I think we had a few good moves this offseason.

here's the list the some forget about

chris johnson

eric decker

jacoby ford

jace amaro

this is not murderer's row, but a nice infusion of explosiveness, size and yes "skill"

Archived