Mike Goodson a no-show as Jets check in to minicamp

Maxman

By Kristian DyerPublished:  June 16, 2014

Mike Goodson a no-show as Jets check in to minicamp

179472269-1300x866.jpg

It doesn’t look likely Mike Goodson will be at Jets minicamp this week, as the player was a no-show at the team’s facility on Monday according to a team source.

Goodson, who is currently involved in a legal tussle and rehabbing from a knee injury, was not present as players checked in and went through physicals Monday.

A player isn’t counted as absent from minicamp until Tuesday, but the lack of an appearance is perhaps telling. Under the collective bargaining agreement, minicamp is mandatory for all players on the roster.

The team source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said he “believed that Goodson was the only no-show [Monday].”

Goodson was not present at recently concluded organized team activities (OTAs), prompting speculation he is not a part of the Jets’ future. The Jets don’t feel that way, though. Head coach Rex Ryan was asked about Goodson attending this week’s minicamp last week.

“Yes, I mean it’s a mandatory thing,” Ryan said last week. “So I would definitely expect him.”

Last year, Goodson was arrested on drug and weapon charges in the summer, leading to a league-mandated four-game suspension. He returned to the Jets in Week 5 and played relatively well, before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 6.

Goodson told Metro New York in January he planned on rehabbing and being ready for training camp. He has not appeared at any OTAs and appears destined to be on the outside looking in for the Jets roster this season.

The team signed free agent running back Chris Johnson to pair with incumbents Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell.

Goodson’s court case, for which he could serve jail time if found guilty, is still on-going.

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/06/16/mike-goodson-show-jets-check-minicamp/#sthash.bJRNPn8H.CYJvHxXC.dpuf

Kristian Dyer reported yesterday that Mike Goodson did not report for minicamp.  The Jets are holding their mandatory minicamp this week and Goodson also missed all the OTAs (which are not mandatory).

Goodson, who is currently involved in a legal tussle and rehabbing from a knee injury, was not present as players checked in and went through physicals Monday.

A player isn’t counted as absent from minicamp until Tuesday, but the lack of an appearance is perhaps telling. Under the collective bargaining agreement, minicamp is mandatory for all players on the roster.

The team source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said he “believed that Goodson was the only no-show [Monday].”

The Jets backfield seems set with Chris Johnson, Chris Iv0ry and Bilal Powell.  Goodson is a long shot to be on the team, unless an injury occurs.  Especially when you factor in his legal situation.  Kristian Dyer adds:

Goodson’s court case, for which he could serve jail time if found guilty, is still on-going.

Visit our forums to read more about and continue the conversation.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA</img> http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs</img>http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/4lgVtjqKMNA

View the full article

I'm guessing Goodson's NFL career is probably over.  The Jets gave him his second chance after last offseason's mess once he was back, and he looked good for the limited time he got, but that hardly lasted. No way in hell he's making this roster over any one of Johnson, Ivory, or Powell, especially given that Johnson was specifically brought in to do exactly what they were hoping to get from Goodson.  If he does eventually show up, I doubt they'd bother to even give him reps over Green or Richardson.  With the way the RB position is handled in the NFL these days, there probably isn't any team that would be in a rush to scoop him up once the Jets do eventually dump him.  If he wants to play again, at best he has to hold out hope that there's enough injuries at the position around the league that someone comes calling.

If I have to guess, the reason Goodson is still even on the roster at this point is that the Jets are probably hoping to recoup some of that bonus money from him, which they can't do if they cut him.

I'm guessing Goodson's NFL career is probably over.  The Jets gave him his second chance after last offseason's mess once he was back, and he looked good for the limited time he got, but that hardly lasted. No way in hell he's making this roster over any one of Johnson, Ivory, or Powell, especially given that Johnson was specifically brought in to do exactly what they were hoping to get from Goodson.  If he does eventually show up, I doubt they'd bother to even give him reps over Green or Richardson.  With the way the RB position is handled in the NFL these days, there probably isn't any team that would be in a rush to scoop him up once the Jets do eventually dump him.  If he wants to play again, at best he has to hold out hope that there's enough injuries at the position around the league that someone comes calling.

If I have to guess, the reason Goodson is still even on the roster at this point is that the Jets are probably hoping to recoup some of that bonus money from him, which they can't do if they cut him.

I don't know the particulars, but I agree there is a money reason behind him still being on the team.

UPDATE:  When asked about his absence from the Jets' mandatory mini-camp, Goodson was quoted as saying "Wait, they haven't cut me yet?  No sh*t."

When his own agent comes out and says Goodson needs to take responsibility for his own actions,  youre in trouble.

Is Goodson hurting himself moneywise by not showing up?  Trying to figure out if it's a calculated move on his part, a rehab thing, or if he's back on drugs and is afraid to face the physical.

Goodson not showing up pretty much ends his NFL career.    Even if he doesn't win a starting or backup role, by showing up, playing hard, showing he has some talent and recovered from last years injuries and legal incident,  could go a long way.  And it wouldn't just be for the Jets.   

Him not showing up at all, plus from what has been said, not talking to anybody all offseason,  pretty much tells any team he's not worth it.    And with the RB position the way it is now in the NFL, who would waste money and time on a guy like Goodson?    I doubt any team would.  Why not take a chance on some 3rd or 4th rounder.   Goodson hasn't done anything in his career before the past year of legal hassles and injuries to warrant he deserved to stick around anyway.

he didn't blow it off, he's on the side of the road puking in his lap

I think you might be right, but I'm wondering if he isn't figuring that he has no chance of beating out Chris Johnson, and all that will happen if he tries is he'll get cut later and therefore have a worse chance of catching on with somebody else.  I think that's a possiblity.  His being back on the stuff is another possiblity of course.

If it's the former he's thinking, just not showing up for training camp is really taking a chance that after you're cut, nobody is going to want you.

Archived