Rex "Confident" Jets will be playoff team

Jetlife33

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365930/article/rex-ryan-confident-ny-jets-will-be-a-playoff-team

The jolly old Rex Ryan we know and love has begun to creep back into the picture.

The New York Jets coach has refrained from guaranteeing as much as a sunrise in recent seasons, but he sees enough in this year's Gang Green roster to predict a postseason berth in 2014.

0ap2000000361281.jpg

"I believe we're better than that. I believe we're a lot better than that," Ryan said of last year's 8-8 squad, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "Eight-and-eight would be a hell of a disappointment for us. I'm just telling you that I believe this team is on the cusp of doing some special things. ... I'm confident we will be a playoff team."

Why not? Outside of one or two outfits in the AFC, it's foolish to rule anyone out inside this up-for-grabs conference.

Besides, Ryan oversees a solid young defense that grew stronger up the middle with the addition of rookie safety Calvin Pryor. If New York's cornerbacks can hold down the fort, scoring points on this unit will be a chore.

Quarterback Geno Smith is raw, but with Michael VickChris Johnson and Eric Decker on the roster, the Jets are no longer a joke at the skill positions.

"Dude, I can't wait," Ryan said. "I cannot wait to snap this thing off for real, because I feel that this is going to be that team that I've been looking for."

The old confidence is back, but if he's wrong, Ryan might be making predictions somewhere else come 2015.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" invites Bucky Brooks in-studio for a team-by-team AFC training camp preview.

dude, CANT WAIT.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be one hell of a coaching job if Rex gets them to 8-8.

Even if that's true, gotta give them credit for aiming higher than that. Maybe it's a good thing for the Jets to go in with a playoff mentality instead of the mentality that 8-8 should be considered a hell of a job.

Rex is right, this is a team that went 8-8 last year, and has pretty significantly upgraded it's talent level.

Throw in a jump in productivity at the QB position (would be hard to be even close to as bad as last year) and this team will be a big disappointment if it finishes less than 10-6.

This team will feast on the crap of the league, Oakland, Buffalo, Miami, Minn, Tenn are cake games for this team. Then they will win at least 2 or 3 of the tougher games.

I don't have a problem with this statement. I would hope a coach is confident. There is a huge difference between guaranteeing superbowls and instilling some confidence in the troops.

I'd normally agree with this and be fine with his comments...but he says the same damn thing every season.  "We're gonna' be the team nobody wants to play" and "teams better be ready because they're gonna' get our best shot" and on and on and on...how about trying to "walk softly and carry a big stick" for once.  Again, I love the guy as a coach but stop telling everyone what you're going to do and just get it done.

Rex Ryan needs to stop predicting playoffs. He needs to remember actions speak louder then words. Rex Ryan is only getting himself into even more trouble through talking. Don't talk just win! This guy over exaggerates his teams talent level example the past 3 seasons. I don't want Rex Ryan praising this team just yet when he doesn't even know how they are going to play. I also don't want Rex Ryan jinxing anything. He should not even mention the word Playoffs as far as im concerned. Just Win!

Same sh*t different year. Let's see how he's talking after the first 10-12 games.

Honest question. 

I know how you feel about Rex, but would you rather have a coach that didn't think his team could make the playoffs and was resigned to that? I can't imagine opening up an article and reading:

"We don't have the talent to compete this year," Ryan said. "It will be a long year. I'm hoping that were are able to win between six and eight games. 

"If we can do that I will consider this a successful year."

Honest question. 

I know how you feel about Rex, but would you rather have a coach that didn't think his team could make the playoffs and was resigned to that? I can't imagine opening up an article and reading:

"We don't have the talent to compete this year," Ryan said. "It will be a long year. I'm hoping that were are able to win between six and eight games. 

"If we can do that I will consider this a successful year."

post-5567-0-28364300-1405719009_thumb.jp

Archived