Andy Dalton gets new deal from Bengals-6 years 115 million

Matt39

Awful deal.  Check out the list of the worst QB's in the NFL when under pressure:

QB                     QBR Unrushed     QBR Rushed      Diff.       Pct.

Mark Sanchez             41.0                   2.6                   38.4     93.7%

Sam Bradford              55.0                   4.8                   50.2     91.3%

Brandon Weeden       34.0                    4.6                   29.4     86.5%

Matt Hasselbeck         62.3                    8.8                   53.5     85.9%

Andy Dalton                59.6                   11.1                 48.5      81.4%

The league average QB has a dropoff when under pressure of about 52 %.  Peyton Manning and Drew Brees have large dropoffs as well, but their good play when unpressured mostly makes up for their poor play when pressured.

Blaine Gabbert is ahead of these 5 guys in QBR when rushed (17.6).  Ouch.

Don't we have enough punks?  Idzik likes speed.  I'm not sure he's going to be too interested in Burfict.

I feel like we are lacking that mean element. Sure, Burfict is built like a house of cookie dough. But he plays hard and is all over the field. I love that.

We had our shot at Burfict, for basically free. Can't believe we passed.

That killed me on draft day.  I could not believe Rex didn't convince Tanny to take a shot on the kid.  Huge character issues w/o a doubt, but zero risk taking him with your last pick.

Oh, and that's a ton of money for Dalton...I don't think he's done enough to justify that number.

Which is funnier, Dalton and this deal or the extension we gave Sanchez?

Both are terrible, but at least we're out from under that Sanchez deal already, both capwise and in terms of not having the guy around as a distraction.  The Bengals just handed $17M in fully guaranteed money (more than Kaepernick got) to this guy, and he'll probably be one of those infuriating QB's who does just enough to keep you interested but not enough to ever give you a shot at a title. 

The best move would have been to let him play out the final year of his rookie deal and see what happens, but then again that's what we said about Sanchez.  Teams see other franchises locking up their franchise QB's and even if he doesn't have the goods, they decide they need to lock theirs up too. 

If they'd simply let things play out and found out he wasn't the guy, they could have at least gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick out of the deal when a team inevitably decided he's THEIR guy.  Considering that comp pick would have been just 1 round later than they got Dalton in the first place.....not bad.

giphy.gif

Well played sir.  You just out-RJF'd RJF.

A team with a great defense, terrific offensive line, dynamic RB and one of the best WR's in the game just hitched their wagon to a ginger who is worse under pressure than Blaine Gabbert. 

He's like a Pennington/Sanchez combo of awfulness.

Who can they get that's better ? He's not elite but he plays well . Everyone screams about how bad he is but there are a whole lot if teams that will take him . If he walks and the next qb doesn't win it's the cheap bengals if they pay him it's OMG !

Archived