5-5 at the bye!

stevegrunder

If we can go 5-5 leading up to the bye, I think we are in the playoffs. The last 6 set us up to go 5-1 pretty easily.

If we can go 6-4, at the bye, I think we will win the division this year.

Question is can we get to 5-5 at the bye, or better? I think we can.

If we can go 5-5 leading up to the bye, I think we are in the playoffs. The last 6 set us up to go 5-1 pretty easily.

If we can go 6-4, at the bye, I think we will win the division this year.

Question is can we get to 5-5 at the bye, or better? I think we can.

5 win teams don't usually make the playoffs. Neither do teams that only play 10 games. 

We'll need 10 wins to get in the playoffs this year, just like most years.

5 win teams don't usually make the playoffs. Neither do teams that only play 10 games. 

We'll need 10 wins to get in the playoffs this year, just like most years.

That's probably why he said at the bye and then mentioned the possibility for going 5-1 down the stretch.  I think you need to wipe the poop out of your eyes.

That's probably why he said at the bye and then mentioned the possibility for going 5-1 down the stretch.  I think you need to wipe the poop out of your eyes.

If it wasn't obvious I was giving him a hard time for saying "we make the playoffs at the bye", then you need to wipe the poop out of your brains.

If it wasn't obvious I was giving him a hard time for saying "we make the playoffs at the bye", then you need to wipe the poop out of your brains.

That might make sense if that quote was actually a real quote, or if he hadn't made the distinctive point of explaining himself further.  You still lose.

Besides, if I wiped the poop out of my brains, there wouldn't be much left, so that's just a ridiculous comment anyway.

That might make sense if that quote was actually a real quote, or if he hadn't made the distinctive point of explaining himself further.  You still lose.

Besides, if I wiped the poop out of my brains, there wouldn't be much left, so that's just a ridiculous comment anyway.

He said, "If we can go 5-5 leading up to the bye, I think we are in the playoffs."

Should be "will be in" or "are making", because grammar. 

I don't lose. Silly.

This schedule is so brutal...I think they'll have to play close to perfect football (or at least their version of it) if they want to start the season 5-5.

I don't agree. I don't think it's that hard of a schedule and we can be competitive with the vast majority of teams in the league.

I wish I could agree with that statement, but we face so many top-notch QB's during that stretch with a very suspect secondary.  For these kids to come up and even slow down Manning, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers...ugh...part of me wants to believe they can do it, but that part of me thinks they'll have to be perfect to have a shot.

I'm done going up and down the schedule and looking for wins and losses. It's so hard to predict in W's and L's in the NFL especially with the Jets. You never know what injuries pop up and what teams were the hot pick but actually suck (Texans and Falcons last year). And the Jets are especially unpredictable; they win games I expect them to lose and they absolutely blow games I expect them to win. I rather take it week by week instead of saying that after week 10 they will be this record.

I wish I could agree with that statement, but we face so many top-notch QB's during that stretch with a very suspect secondary.  For these kids to come up and even slow down Manning, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers...ugh...part of me wants to believe they can do it, but that part of me thinks they'll have to be perfect to have a shot.

The 2013 Jets beat Brady, Ryan, and Brees while losing to the likes of Locker, Manuel, and Tannehill.  Needless to say, the Jets are not exactly the easiest team to predict.

Besides, I think people are getting a little too worked up over the supposed difficulty of the Jets early schedule.  For starters, we see year after year how much different schedules end up being than everything thinks they are at the start of the season.  Even if we ignore that, some of these teams weren't even as great as people try to make them out to be last year.  For example, while neither are bad teams, the Bears won 8 games and the Lions 7, and the Jets get both at home.  Sure, they'll very likely get their asses kicked by the likes of GB, but I'm not sold on this doom and gloom surrounding the Jets early schedule.

The 2013 Jets beat Brady, Ryan, and Brees while losing to the likes of Locker, Manuel, and Tannehill. Needless to say, the Jets are not exactly the easiest team to predict.

Besides, I think people are getting a little too worked up over the supposed difficulty of the Jets early schedule. For starters, we see year after year how much different schedules end up being than everything thinks they are at the start of the season. Even if we ignore that, some of these teams weren't even as great as people try to make them out to be last year. For example, while neither are bad teams, the Bears won 8 games and the Lions 7, and the Jets get both at home. Sure, they'll very likely get their asses kicked by the likes of GB, but I'm not sold on this doom and gloom surrounding the Jets early schedule.

We match up better against the NFC North than the West anyways. Id rather our D against the good offenses than vice versa.

Is there such a thing as a week 1 trap game? lol

For all the knocks on Rex there are, the Jets have actually done really well in week 1 during his time here, with the lone exception of that Ravens mess (and I think we all know that's a completely different animal when it comes to Rex).

The 2013 Jets beat Brady, Ryan, and Brees while losing to the likes of Locker, Manuel, and Tannehill.  Needless to say, the Jets are not exactly the easiest team to predict.

Besides, I think people are getting a little too worked up over the supposed difficulty of the Jets early schedule.  For starters, we see year after year how much different schedules end up being than everything thinks they are at the start of the season.  Even if we ignore that, some of these teams weren't even as great as people try to make them out to be last year.  For example, while neither are bad teams, the Bears won 8 games and the Lions 7, and the Jets get both at home.  Sure, they'll very likely get their asses kicked by the likes of GB, but I'm not sold on this doom and gloom surrounding the Jets early schedule.

All valid points, but it's the total lack of experience that scares me.  These are veteran QB's, some of them future HOF QB's at that, who will be facing a young/unchallenged secondary.  Believe me though, first pre-season game is Thursday, talk to me the day before the Raiders game, and I'll be predicting 12-4....kickoff can't get here soon enough!

I agree Bears and Lions at home should be vastly different obstacles than playing them on the road.

But we play 6 out of first 10 games at home. We beat Drew Brees last season at home with a receiving corps of Salas, Sudfeld, Nelson and Kerley. Plus we have road game against Green Bay. We have historically done well against that team. So its not out of the realm of possibility.

But we play 6 out of first 10 games at home. We beat Drew Brees last season at home with a receiving corps of Salas, Sudfeld, Nelson and Kerley. Plus we have road game against Green Bay. We have historically done well against that team. So its not out of the realm of possibility.

Definitely in the realm of possibility.  I mean, let's face it, with the Jets front seven they basically need the secondary to be solid but not spectacular and for Geno to not turn it over twice as often as he gets it in the end zone.  Even a 1/1 ratio and this Jets team can play with anyone, but those are two huge ifs.  4-4 or 5-5 can  happen, but not if we see another 20+ turnover season from our starting QB.

I don't agree. I don't think it's that hard of a schedule and we can be competitive with the vast majority of teams in the league.

I think a lot of the perception is what happens every year. The assumption is that the tough teams (from last year) will continue to be tough, and that many of the others who weren't have improved to the point where they will now be tough. And then there's the Raiders.

So looking at the schedule through that set of eyes will make the schedule look harder than it ultimately will be. Detroit is on there as a tough opponent. Same with Chicago. Meanwhile they sucked last year and are just being viewed (by many) as a good overall team that we'll probably lose to because they have some elite individual fantasy football players. They may be improved enough to be that this year but it's hardly a given. Who's to say that Matt Stafford is even going to be a healthy QB this year? How is it known that Chicago won't be giving up 30 ppg this season? AND that a paper tiger like the Chiefs will still be so hard to beat that a loss is all but assured.

We'll see when the time comes for these matchups how hard of an opponent we're facing. There are so many surprises - in both directions - every year.

Archived