I am so angry. Izdick is a tool.

But did it ruin your week? 

If I seem cranky, it's because my vacation ended yesterday. 

On the issue of CBs, I've been unhappy with the GM's handling of the position all year. Hasn't really effected me emotionally, though. 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I seem cranky, it's because my vacation ended yesterday. 

On the issue of CBs, I've been unhappy with the GM's handling of the position all year. Hasn't really effected me emotionally, though. 

You always seem a little cranky.  Usually when responding to my posts.  Or the Ape.  Was your vacation somewhere in South America, at least?

Apparently Idzik should have signed a $10+ million/year corner to a 5 year contract to replace Milliner for 1 game.

If he doesn't, then he's being cheap. Because that's how he operates, or because he's being commanded to by the cheapest owner in the history of professional sports.

I just think it's hilarious that, in the past, the repeated complaint was that we were stupidly building a defense around CBs, at the behest of Ryan, the king dope, and how no one smart does such a thing. That we just need to draft guys up front that can bring pressure, and then any CB can stick with his receiver for 2-3 seconds. Because that's what the GIants had when they beat the Patriots in the SB the first time around, because the game today doesn't let you touch the receivers anymore, blah blah blah, therefore it's a waste to dump so much in resources at corner. How no matter how good the #1 and/or the #2 is, a team can always line up 3-4 wide and even two elite guys can't cover 4 receivers. 

We all read this here, month after month, for years.

Now we're strong up front - or we seem so to me, anyway - and presently have some less than sure things at CB, and it's a f*cking unparalleled disaster resulting from the blind leading the blind.

Idzik's "plan" is to have mediocre talent level at every position at every position besides DL and hope that scrap heap vets/rookies step right in and play great. It's pie in the sky horsesh*t and will result in another mediocre season that the Jets will try to get the dupes in their fatbase to celebrate just like last season. 

You always seem a little cranky.  Usually when responding to my posts.  Or the Ape.  Was your vacation somewhere in South America, at least?

That's because you remind me of country music. 

I split my time between Fire Island and NYC, where I'm apparently dating someone. Almost three full weeks off, it was nice. Still trying to figure out what it is I do here. 

I think it's more than that. It's that he went down, Milliner went down, and Patterson (who probably will at some point) didn't even look as good as mediocre while healthy. So today we don't have any of the top 3 guys penciled in to play outside. One of them is gone for the season. Another is gone until we're into the season. And the third has looked pretty bad so far. Not just the Indy game, but I think Ryan's only comment regarding Patterson in practice (prior to the game) was an unflattering one.

Doesn't mean we're screwed at the position. Not yet, anyway. But it does mean that things aren't at all going according to plans.

I think Patterson is dinged up.  He had a listed calf/ankle injury during the game and has missed the past 3 days of practice, which is why they are playing Lankster and Allen with the 1's.  Now he has a quad injury.  Rex basically accused him of loafing and saving himself for when it matters.  A common trait of older guys - don't ask me how I know.  The trouble is that Patterson may always be hurt or may not be able to step it up when the time comes.  Rex seemed to be riding him pretty hard on Thursday, pulling him for a play, then sending him back out there.  It wasn't the kind of treatment a vet usually gets.  Certainly completely counter to the way they handled Decker who was also dinged.  

Its not an indeal situation for sure, but its too early to panic. I missed the Indy game so I can't speak to what Patterson or the rest of the defense looked like but I did hear Patterson was not good. Maybe because he's banged up, maybe because he's just not that good, I don't really know. But I'm tired of people pulling the fire alarms and blaming Idzik, injuries happen, we need to have someone else step up, that is football. I don't think we were in a terrible place at the start of camp, with two first round corners (although Kyle Wilson is just not that good) a decent veteran who has an injury history (like Willie Colon did) a 3rd round rookie and some other corners that we took a flier on.

Right now we are in some trouble for sure, but its not because we should have splurged on some free agent that didnt fit our system anyway.

I'm not panicking. I think the next 3-4 weeks are going to be interesting, to say the least, until Milliner gets back. Once he is, then it's really one corner position we're thin at. Not just because of McDougle's injury, which isn't predictable no matter what anyone says. But it's compounded because in the 10 minutes of live action we saw him, Patterson doesn't look like 1/10 the CB he once supposedly was. 

Hard to say really what Patterson was brought in to be. I have my idea, which I've stated. I think also it's because IF he's in the right position, it was believed he would pick it off instead of merely getting a PD deflection, and there weren't enough turnovers (on defense) last year. I have to believe that was a factor in bringing him in, that he was viewed as something of a ballhawk, in addition to perhaps starting until the next guy on the depth chart steps it up (or until Patterson gets injured, whichever happens first). Same thing with McDougal. They don't merely want cover corners; they want corners with the hands to pick off passes when the opportunities are there.

I think what Ryan's trying out with Allen is interesting, to say the least. Last year there were concerns whether Allen had the cover skills to be more than just a thumper at safety and now he's going to be manning-up on speedsters? I'll be impressed if it works out. But there are others on the team if/when this doesn't work out. All the extra coverage work may make him a better safety anyway. Probably won't hurt.

The Jets (alleged) top three CBs all have injury histories. Milliner, Patterson, and McDougle. The two draftees dropped because of their injuries, and the vet was cheap. I get that he likes that value, but that's a lot of injury history/risk at one (critical) position. Signing one quality/reliable CB this offseason wouldn't've broken the bank. I think that's a legitimate criticism. 

Yes.  But at the same time does McDougle having history of a shoulder injury make him prone to an ACL injury?  

...says the guy whose team spent more than the Jets this offseason despite having less of a budget to work with.

...says the guy whose team's secondary features Antrel Rolle, Prince Amukamara, DRC, Walter Thurmond, etc.

[/quote

and the Giants will win 8 games this year.

Yes. But at the same time does McDougle having history of a shoulder injury make him prone to an ACL injury?

That was the upside of his injury history - that he had no leg/knee stuff. Now he has this ACL, and there's no telling how he's gonna come back from it. It's a shame.

But yeah, unfortunately, injury history often leads to injury future.

I think Patterson is dinged up.  He had a listed calf/ankle injury during the game and has missed the past 3 days of practice, which is why they are playing Lankster and Allen with the 1's.  Now he has a quad injury.  Rex basically accused him of loafing and saving himself for when it matters.  A common trait of older guys - don't ask me how I know.  The trouble is that Patterson may always be hurt or may not be able to step it up when the time comes.  Rex seemed to be riding him pretty hard on Thursday, pulling him for a play, then sending him back out there.  It wasn't the kind of treatment a vet usually gets.  Certainly completely counter to the way they handled Decker who was also dinged.  

I hope he was dinged up. Because if that was him totally healthy he doesn't belong on a roster. It's still not that reassuring, though, because Patterson - like every player - is pretty likely to be dinged up during the season. If he's got to be totally free of even a minor bruise to perform then he's not going to be too valuable over the course of a full season. Particularly with his injury history.  Hopefully he was more than just a tad banged up and that affected his play. 

Would love it for the midget from Iowa St to step in with the situation begging for someone to do so. Have hardly heard his name mentioned, though. I know he's not even 5'8" but he's fast (4.29 at his pro day) and had a ridiculous 43" vertical. And not a word about him door even with opportunity knocking -- actually breaking in his front door to clear a red carpet for him.

I think Idzik was not interested in signing any of the FA corners to multi year contracts. He would probably take a guy willing to go on a 1 year, but he just did not like the fit for the rest of these guys. Well, no FA was looking for 1 year. Those guys will pop up in the next few weeks. wait and see.

That's because you remind me of country music. 

I split my time between Fire Island and NYC, where I'm apparently dating someone. Almost three full weeks off, it was nice. Still trying to figure out what it is I do here.

Dating someone on Fire Island? Welcome to modship.

I'm convinced Izdick is here to ruin this already miserable franchise. I truly feel he never had any intentions of making us better and making a name for himself. He hated the Jets growing up, despised what Namath did to professional sports and believes the sack dance ruined Football. Therefore, his one true intention when interviewing was to get the job, field the worst team possible and ruin the Jets.....FOREVER!

Yes.  But at the same time does McDougle having history of a shoulder injury make him prone to an ACL injury?  

Thank you.  The guy misses most of last year with a shoulder injury and when he injures his knee the self anointed cognoscenti say we drafted "an injury prone player".   The thought process is half-baked, half-cocked and half assed.

Idzik's "plan" is to have mediocre talent level at every position at every position besides DL and hope that scrap heap vets/rookies step right in and play great. It's pie in the sky horsesh*t and will result in another mediocre season that the Jets will try to get the dupes in their fatbase to celebrate just like last season. 

First, you're completely off base here.  He acquired the top CB prospect, top DL prospect, top QB prospect, a top safety prospect in each of the last 2 drafts along with the top WR free agent, the top veteran RB available, and top QB available this offseason....none of that suggest he is going after "mediocre" talent.  You can perhaps argue he went after the WRONG guys, but you cannot argue his goal is mediocrity.

Second, even if you were correct, would you prefer we go all in without a QB to run the ship?  I'd say its a good idea to pocket a good amount of your cash until you find yourself a franchise QB.  If its not Geno, and we instead find it in the 2015 draft, we're very quickly the new favorites in the AFC East.  Tom Brady and Bill Belichick will be gone by the time our QB is in his 3rd season. 

Our goal wasn't to field a roster capable of getting us a wild card berth and early playoff exit this season.  Our goal is to be a perennial playoff contender and host a lot of playoff games over the next decade.  Every move Idzik has made his 2 seasons here has been geared towards that.  So unlike the OP I'm not going to lose sleep about missing out on a flavor-of-the-month corner over the offseason. 

I'm convinced Izdick is here to ruin this already miserable franchise. I truly feel he never had any intentions of making us better and making a name for himself. He hated the Jets growing up, despised what Namath did to professional sports and believes the sack dance ruined Football. Therefore, his one true intention when interviewing was to get the job, field the worst team possible and ruin the Jets.....FOREVER!

Signing Assante Samuel is probably a good step along that path!

First, you're completely off base here.  He acquired the top CB prospect, top DL prospect, top QB prospect, a top safety prospect in each of the last 2 drafts along with the top WR free agent, the top veteran RB available, and top QB available this offseason....none of that suggest he is going after "mediocre" talent.  You can perhaps argue he went after the WRONG guys, but you cannot argue his goal is mediocrity.

Second, even if you were correct, would you prefer we go all in without a QB to run the ship?  I'd say its a good idea to pocket a good amount of your cash until you find yourself a franchise QB.  If its not Geno, and we instead find it in the 2015 draft, we're very quickly the new favorites in the AFC East.  Tom Brady and Bill Belichick will be gone by the time our QB is in his 3rd season. 

Our goal wasn't to field a roster capable of getting us a wild card berth and early playoff exit this season.  Our goal is to be a perennial playoff contender and host a lot of playoff games over the next decade.  Every move Idzik has made his 2 seasons here has been geared towards that.  So unlike the OP I'm not going to lose sleep about missing out on a flavor-of-the-month corner over the offseason. 

How long do we give Idzik to improve the team? Until he finds a franchise QB and then can REALLY start the process?

This is not me having a problem with Idzik, but with this logic.

How long do we give Idzik to improve the team? Until he finds a franchise QB and then can REALLY start the process?

We're not an org like the Steelers or Packers where rebuilds can happen quickly.  We've been hampered by poor ownership for years.  So Idzik had to simultaneously change the culture internally (check) along with flipping the roster.  So I'd say its fair to say 2 years is not enough.  If we fail to find ourselves a true franchise QB in Geno or someone from the 2015 draft, and/or that QB proves to be a bust by 2016, I'd say Idzik will have proven to be the wrong guy to lead us. 

Geno was a good pick in that he was the top QB prospect, albeit in a weak 2013 crop, whom we didn't have to invest a 1st rounder in.  But if Geno isn't the guy, Idzik will need to attach his name to a Hundley, Winston, Mariota or 4th option.  That QB will dictate Idzik's fate here.

Oh, so you don't have any clue what you'd do.  You just want to complain to complain.  Got it.

An example. They had the most picks in the draft out of any team and didn't trade up once. NOT ONCE. Instead they drafted reach players and guys who won't make the team. They also had the most Cap space in the league going into and exiting free agency. You're telling me they couldn't improve the team more than they have with that extra 30 million?

An example. They had the most picks in the draft out of any team and didn't trade up once. NOT ONCE. Instead they drafted reach players and guys who won't make the team. They also had the most Cap space in the league going into and exiting free agency. You're telling me they couldn't improve the team more than they have with that extra 30 million?

Curious, do you truly think if Izdick wanted win, which we know he doesn't, but if he did...do you think he could have built a contender this offseason?

So Idzik had to simultaneously change the culture internally (check) along with flipping the roster.  So I'd say its fair to say 2 years is not enough.

You are out of your mind if you think Idzik has tamed the beast. He has done a better job at keeping him in check than Tannenbaum did, but insanity is only treatable, not curable; and I'm operating under the notion that it's only a matter of time before Woody slathers himself up in peanut butter and demands that Idzik trade for Courtney Brown.

Archived