is this it for Rex?

Lizard King

Elway, Cutler, Manning. Cutler's obviously not at the level of the others but I'd still say he's a franchise QB, he was very good when he was there. 

Luck is obviously a franchise QB already even if he is a little overrated.

I think you're mixing up what a franchise QB is and all time greats. 

We're due **** all. 

Denver got rid of Cutler because he had issues. They bought Manning.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denver had Elway and that's it.

I have my doubts about Andy Luck, but tanking a whole season for the 1st overall pick isn't exactly falling into a QB.

The Jets are due for a stud QB.

You get a stud qb with good drafting and timing. For instance, Brett Favre was enough to keep the jets over 500 in 2007. Had we played, Kellen Clemens let's say, maybe we draft Matthew Stafford instead of Mark Sanchez.

You don't expect Vick to seriously make this team competitive. So you don't play him. His career is over, he was getting worse in Philly by the game.

Why does it matter how they got him? They got him. That's what I meant when I say they "trip and fall" into them. They just keep ending up with these QB's you can build a contender around.

The Saints bought Drew Brees - I'm pretty sure he's still their franchise QB. 

The Broncos got rid of Cutler because your offensive co-ordinator was an even bigger bitch than he was. 

Why does it matter how they got him? They got him. That's what I meant when I say they "trip and fall" into them. They just keep ending up with these QB's you can build a contender around.

The Saints bought Drew Brees - I'm pretty sure he's still their franchise QB.

The Bears got rid of Cutler because your offensive co-ordinator was an even bigger bitch than he was.

Bears got rid of cutler after Monday night?

You get a stud qb with good drafting and timing. For instance, Brett Favre was enough to keep the jets over 500 in 2007. Had we played, Kellen Clemens let's say, maybe we draft Matthew Stafford instead of Mark Sanchez.

You don't expect Vick to seriously make this team competitive. So you don't play him. His career is over, he was getting worse in Philly by the game.

This. Timing and luck is everything when it comes to QB's.

Manning's neck imploding the same year the best QB prospect since Manning himself is coming out was ******* ridiculously fortunate. 

The Jets are rarely ones for timing or luck. 

actually the more i think about the more i am inclined for the jets to draft a QB in 16'. Mariotta is a upgrade over smith but not sure it is enough to make him a franchise QB and I am scared by winston's 10 cent head he displays sometimes.

Maybe a QB will be available in fa at end of season but right now if i was coach I start vick with his propensity for getting injured most likely smith is back in 4-5 games anyway.

Then in 15' we bring in another fa QB to compete with smith and vick for 15'

Then we either get lucky with the fa QB or we sputter again undersmith/vick and get a good draft pick in 16' where hopefully we can secure our franchise QB.

1. Gunner Kiel, Notre Dame
Depending on how Kiel's first spring and summer go with the Irish, he could easily redshirt and become a part of the NFL's Class of 2017. Or the nation's top quarterback recruit of 2012 could make it difficult to keep him off the field. While the depth chart is crowded with the likes of Tommy Rees, Andrew Hendrix and Everett Golson, Kiel will eventually be the best of the quartet. He has all the tools that a coach, such as Brian Kelly, looks for in a franchise quarterback, from his throwing motion and underrated agility to his cool demeanor in the huddle. He has a very Manning-like quality about him, the total package behind center. And the highest ceiling in South Bend since Brady Quinn was still on campus.

Obsession with you? hahaha! you started following me around this site during Rex's first year. remember? telling me how you are one of the best andf most active posters on the site in your pms to me? LMAO I didnt even know who you were other than meeting you at a tailgate in Miami in 2008 with your gf Klecko. get a grip kid

Hey Jimmy was that the same day that we met down here?

actually the more i think about the more i am inclined for the jets to draft a QB in 16'. Mariotta is a upgrade over smith but not sure it is enough to make him a franchise QB and I am scared by winston's 10 cent head he displays sometimes.

Maybe a QB will be available in fa at end of season but right now if i was coach I start vick with his propensity for getting injured most likely smith is back in 4-5 games anyway.

Then in 15' we bring in another fa QB to compete with smith and vick for 15'

Then we either get lucky with the fa QB or we sputter again undersmith/vick and get a good draft pick in 16' where hopefully we can secure our franchise QB.

1. Gunner Kiel, Notre Dame

Depending on how Kiel's first spring and summer go with the Irish, he could easily redshirt and become a part of the NFL's Class of 2017. Or the nation's top quarterback recruit of 2012 could make it difficult to keep him off the field. While the depth chart is crowded with the likes of Tommy Rees, Andrew Hendrix and Everett Golson, Kiel will eventually be the best of the quartet. He has all the tools that a coach, such as Brian Kelly, looks for in a franchise quarterback, from his throwing motion and underrated agility to his cool demeanor in the huddle. He has a very Manning-like quality about him, the total package behind center. And the highest ceiling in South Bend since Brady Quinn was still on campus.

Gunner Kiel transferred to Cincinnati and he is terrible. 

By the way, as for the OP,I don't think there's any question that Rex is on his final season here. This team's wheels are falling off and the upcoming couple games are just going to magnify how badly.

Unless..... the Jets go on a November-December 8 game winning streak and go into the playoffs as a wildcard again and some miracles start happening, like oh say...the defense figures out how to catch an errant pass that hits them in the shoulderpads, a few fumbles are picked up and the whistle DOESN'T blow the play dead, or maybe even MORE farfetched is the idea that the officials start to realize that they need to start calling the games fairly and throw meaningful flags on the Jets opponents. I mean come ON now, how can it be that we went like 12 quarters before a hold was called and when it was, it was an insignificant call. 

I have been saying since before pre season even begaan that the Jets needed to start getting some luck and calls thrown their way-for a change.

Turnovers are doing the Jets in. What progress are you seeing there?

Its Sanchez all over again where the defense plays its axx off only to have the QB give the game away.

Its really not though.  Sanchez would go on stints through each and every game where he literally couldnt move the offense.  How many times did the Jets hold an opponent to no TD's and still lose under Sanchez?  This season, we've seen Geno move the chains rather consistently.  Very few 3 and outs which was Sanchez's specialty.  Geno is a play maker.  Sanchez at his best was a terrible game manager.

Sanchez was a negative/negative in that he couldnt move the offense at times and had numerous back breaking turnovers a game.

Geno is a positive/negative in that he can move the offense but still has back breaking turnovers.  You have to hope it can be fixed.  

The bottom line is, you dont give up on him yet.  What if Vick comes in and then plays worse than Geno?  You put Geno back in?  **** that noise.  You think the team is a mess now? 

By the way, as for the OP,I don't think there's any question that Rex is on his final season here. This team's wheels are falling off and the upcoming couple games are just going to magnify how badly.

Seriously?

I mean, I know it's early, but the Jets are currently the #1 rushing offense and #1 rushing defense in the NFL. The #2 overall defense. They're not getting slaughtered out there, they're losing games via bad turnovers and bad calls (and I hate to use that, but the officiating has been tilted against the Jets so far in every one of their games).

There are issues you can pin on the coaching staff. Some of the penalties. Not protecting the football. I understand the overall sloppy complaint. But statistically, they're solid, and they've been very competitive in both of their losses. I think a lot of teams are sloppy early in the year, with the softer training camps and practices. It's a long season, and they absolutely have to improve there. If they remain this penalty/turnover prone team throughout the season, then I think you have a stong case against the coach.

But right now? The wheels are hardly falling off.

Seriously?

I mean, I know it's early, but the Jets are currently the #1 rushing offense and #1 rushing defense in the NFL. The #2 overall defense. They're not getting slaughtered out there, they're losing games via bad turnovers and bad calls (and I hate to use that, but the officiating has been tilted against the Jets so far in every one of their games).

There are issues you can pin on the coaching staff. Some of the penalties. Not protecting the football. I understand the overall sloppy complaint. But statistically, they're solid, and they've been very competitive in both of their losses. I think a lot of teams are sloppy early in the year, with the softer training camps and practices. It's a long season, and they absolutely have to improve there. If they remain this penalty/turnover prone team throughout the season, then I think you have a stong case against the coach.

It's insane. We've lost two games to good football teams each by a single score and the wheels are coming off?

There are teams that haven't been remotely competitive. 

Seriously?

Agreed.  The wheels are fine.  Its what sits on top of those wheels that isnt very good.  It just not a well built vehicle.  Hard to beat the good cars in the race when your car isnt really in the same category. 

Agreed.  The wheels are fine.  Its what sits on top of those wheels that isnt very good.  It just not a well built vehicle.  Hard to beat the good cars in the race when your car isnt really in the same category.

Exactly. We've been hearing the it's a passing league complaints about Rex forever, yet in his second year as GM, Idzik is fielding some of the worst WRs and CBs in the NFL this year. And Rex is somehow making due without the CBs. It's tough to ask a second year, second round QB to make due with these receivers, though.

Some people want (or expect) a playoff or bust scenario with Rex, but I'm not sure they're gonna get it. If Rex can keep the defense in the overall top 5, and Geno can improve to an 85+ passer rating, it's gonna be hard to say the team is going in the wrong direction - even if they finish with seven or eight wins.

A sixth round comp pick. I don't understand why this is even worthy of discussion. It's not like the GM hit the rest of them out of the park, either.

Oh I'm not complaining about the quality of the pick. My only point was that that pick was, most definitely, Rex's pick. I don't even know if I feel that head coaches should stay out of draft-day decisions, I'm sure Rex isn't the only coach that has some sway in the draft room.

Oh I'm not complaining about the quality of the pick. My only point was that that pick was, most definitely, Rex's pick. I don't even know if I feel that head coaches should stay out of draft-day decisions, I'm sure Rex isn't the only coach that has some sway in the draft room.

If they're choosing between two defensive linemen, ask Rex. Literally any other draft-related question? Throw Rex out of the room.

Rex absolutely still has say in the draft room though.

Ofcourse he has some say.  Why wouldnt he?  He's got more experience evaluating talent than his boss does.  And if the position picks are any indication whether its Rex or Idzick, then its favoring Rex right now.

Ofcourse he has some say.  Why wouldnt he?  He's got more experience evaluating talent than his boss does.  And if the position picks are any indication whether its Rex or Idzick, then its favoring Rex right now.

Right, I dont mind it I guess. But he's never going to suggest going offense. He's on the record saying he doesn't like drafting offense. This team literally shouldn't pick one defensive player next May. 

Right, I dont mind it I guess. But he's never going to suggest going offense. He's on the record saying he doesn't like drafting offense. This team literally shouldn't pick one defensive player next May.

They should never pass on a stud pass rusher, and CB is going to be a major need in the next draft - unless Idzik blows the dust off his wallet and buys one in free agency (guffaw!). McDougle may still have the potential to be the real deal, but coming off an ACL, he might be two years away. That's a long time for a kid who hasn't taken an NFL snap yet.

But yeah, sure, WRs and OL, please. Maybe a RB.

He might not like it but his first few drafts were heavy offense.  Agreed though, it should be all offense next draft.  Any defensive holes should be strictly veteran FA's.

They should never pass on a stud pass rusher, and CB is going to be a major need in the next draft - unless Idzik blows the dust off his wallet and buys one in free agency (guffaw!). McDougle may still have the potential to be the real deal, but coming off an ACL, he might be two years away. That's a long time for a kid who hasn't taken an NFL snap yet.

But yeah, sure, WRs and OL, please. Maybe a RB.

Probably a MLB too. Harris might be on his way out.

Gunner Kiel transferred to Cincinnati and he is terrible. 

well besides the transferring part saw the article i read was from 2012 we will see how he really is saturday when he plays ohio state. From the stuff i am have seen so far this year granted it is not against top teams but he seems to be making better descions.

Exactly. We've been hearing the it's a passing league complaints about Rex forever, yet in his second year as GM, Idzik is fielding some of the worst WRs and CBs in the NFL this year. And Rex is somehow making due without the CBs. It's tough to ask a second year, second round QB to make due with these receivers, though.

Some people want (or expect) a playoff or bust scenario with Rex, but I'm not sure they're gonna get it. If Rex can keep the defense in the overall top 5, and Geno can improve to an 85+ passer rating, it's gonna be hard to say the team is going in the wrong direction - even if they finish with seven or eight wins.

Feels like the mantra of 2013 all over again. 

I love Rex, but I am getting so tired of hearing Jets fans act like this is a crappy roster, and the only thing they have going for them is Rex.

Its getting really old. This is a decent roster, they have a great front 7, good safeties, good OL, good RB's, solid but non spectacular receivers, and a young good QB.

If Rex does not go at least 9-7 with this roster, I will be fine with moving on from him.

I love Rex, but I am getting so tired of hearing Jets fans act like this is a crappy roster, and the only thing they have going for them is Rex.

Its getting really old. This is a decent roster, they have a great front 7, good safeties, good OL, good RB's, solid but non spectacular receivers, and a young good QB.

If Rex does not go at least 9-7 with this roster, I will be fine with moving on from him.

Early contender for Captain '15

The bold is a bold faced lie, and they have nothing at TE to help pick up the slack. The OL has a glaring weakness at guard. They have no CBs to speak of, so one of those good safeties is currently playing CB. And if you're not inclined to blame the refs, that good young QB pretty much threw the game away all by himself on Monday night. Outside of DL, there's not a dominating player anywhere on the roster. You hope Pryor can develop into one, but there's nothing on offense at all. 

The Jets have the lowest payroll in the league, and the quality of the roster reflects that. 

The bold is a bold faced lie, and they have nothing at TE to help pick up the slack. The OL has a glaring weakness at guard. They have no CBs to speak of, so one of those good safeties is currently playing CB. And if you're not inclined to blame the refs, that good young QB pretty much threw the game away all by himself on Monday night. Outside of DL, there's not a dominating player anywhere on the roster. You hope Pryor can develop into one, but there's nothing on offense at all. 

The Jets have the lowest payroll in the league, and the quality of the roster reflects that. 

Its not a lie at all, Curley and Decker are very good WR's. I agree they are weak at TE, and they need a Gaurd. But you know what, every damn roster in the NFL has holes, save maybe 2 or 3, and I would even question that.

That is the modern age, there are 32 teams and a salary cap, that is what happens.

I am also sick and tired of the low salary as an excuse, its garbage. Team payroll is more of an indication of what your players have done in the past, not what they are doing now or are going to do in the future, its utter nonsense.

Geno made mistakes, but I thought both losses have been poorly coached. The Bears game was more than winnable, but I thought Morningwood crapped his pants that game. The Packers game was poorly coached as well.

As I said, I love Rex, but I am not going to sit and make excuses for him. I thought he did a great job last year, but he has a much improved roster this year, and he needs to do better.

Rex absolutely still has say in the draft room though.

If your HC does not have serious say in the draft room, you have a serious problem. GM's need to provide the coaching staff with the personnel they need to be successful. If Rex is calling for help at OL, and Idzik ignores him, and the OL sucks, its not Rex's fault. On the contrary, if Rex is getting the positions he needs, he better win with them. That is how accountability works, and how successful franchises are run.

Archived