Jets Putting Antonio Allen in Awkward Position

flgreen

Jets putting Antonio Allen in awkward position

OCTOBER 10, 2014    LAST UPDATED: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2014, 1:21 AM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

THE RECORD

FLORHAM PARK – Rex Ryan compared the battle of wits with legendary Denver quarterback Peyton Manning to a chess match, and likened Manning to the late chess grandmaster Bobby Fischer.

Continuing with that analogy, third-year defensive back Antonio Allen is one piece Ryan has moved all over the board this season. Allen, drafted in the seventh round in 2012 as a safety, was switched to cornerback on Aug. 11 after cornerbacks Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle both had been injured the previous day.

Allen started at corner in the Jets' first four regular-season games before moving back to safety last week in practice. He started at his old position in the team's 31-0 loss to San Diego on Sunday.

Ryan, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman and Allen all have been cryptic about where he will line up Sunday against the high-powered Denver offense, which has multiple weapons, including tight end Julius Thomas.

However, starting cornerback Darrin Walls (knee) was limited in practice Thursday, so the Jets would need someone to play in his place if he can't go or is limited to a certain amount of snaps.

"We'll see," Allen said Thursday with a grin when asked which position he will play.

But Allen hasn't been all smiles, as he indicated Thursday.

"It's difficult, man, but I don't control what goes on," Allen told The Record when asked how hard it is to keep changing positions. "All I can do is just come here and prepare and be ready for work. That's about it.

"I mean, it's frustrating, like I said," Allen added, "but I've got a job to do so I can't do much complaining. [i have to] just go out there and get my job done."

Was he surprised he was switched back to safety?

"I don't even know what to say," he replied. "I mean it is what it is."

Both Ryan and Thurman defended the yo-yoing of the still-developing Allen, who seemed to be coming into his own as a safety before the position switch. Allen mostly has played creditably at cornerback, although he allowed a 59-yard touchdown catch by Detroit's Jeremy Ross on Sept. 28.

He was moved back to safety to match up against San Diego's Antonio Gates but was beaten twice by him for touchdown receptions.

"We were trying to look at our roster, where we can do certain things," Ryan said, explaining why Allen was moved back to safety. "Gates presents an unusual challenge for you when you have a tight end like that. We felt that 'Double A' matched up better.

"We know how that worked out," Ryan said with a smile. "But he really gave us our best shot to cover him and obviously that didn't work out so well."

"Versatility is something that if you have it, you have to take advantage of it," Thurman said, defending the decision to use Allen at both positions. "What we're trying to do is put our pieces in place to do jobs that we need done. When you look at this young man, he is a talented kid, so we are trying to utilize him the best way to fit our defense, just like an offense would do to try to enhance their offensive capabilities."

BRIEFS: Ryan had no problems with backup QB Michael Vick's comments Wednesday, when he implied that he hadn't prepared well enough in practice last week. After the loss to San Diego, Ryan had challenged his players to look in the mirror.

"I think that's exactly what Mike's saying," Ryan noted, "that when Mike looked at it he had the guts to say, 'You know what? Maybe I could have done more. I could have prepared better.'"

Vick indicated Thursday he could have phrased it better.

ILB David Harris (shoulder) sat out practice Thursday for the second consecutive day, but Ryan said he is progressing and that he expects him to play Sunday. The coach also expects former Denver WR Eric Decker (hamstring) to play Sunday. He was limited in practice Thursday.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/jets-put-allen-in-tough-spot-1.1106653#sthash.UgIxm7ny.dpuf

I've wondered about this.  Allen was starting to look like a pretty good safety.   Good enough that he was the teams best CB.  That says alot.

Now as Milliner comes back they want to move him back to safety, where he belongs, where he has had no snaps.   Ouch

Leave the kid at safety

I've wondered about this.  Allen was starting to look like a pretty good safety.   Good enough that he was the teams best CB.  That says alot.

Now as Milliner comes back they want to move him back to safety, where he belongs, where he has had no snaps.   Ouch

Leave the kid at safety

Agreed he looked better at safety. Disagree he was the teams best CB. Week after week he was abused because his coverage skills on WRs is lacking. He can cover TEs well, save for how bad Gates made him look last week. Keep him at safety.

Ryan had no problems with backup QB Michael Vick's comments Wednesday, when he implied that he hadn't prepared well enough in practice last week. After the loss to San Diego, Ryan had challenged his players to look in the mirror.   "I think that's exactly what Mike's saying," Ryan noted, "that when Mike looked at it he had the guts to say, 'You know what? Maybe I could have done more. I could have prepared better.'"

The Rex Ryan Era, ladies and gentlemen.

The Rex Ryan Era, ladies and gentlemen.

Well now rex is stuck. If he suddenly after giving out so many free passes started disciplining players, it would probably cause his entitled players to explode. He made his bed now he must lie in it.

Well now rex is stuck. If he suddenly after giving out so many free passes started disciplining players, it would probably cause his entitled players to explode. He made his bed now he must lie in it.

Typical of players coaches and bad managers everywhere. 

Mike Vick would have prepared better if there was a better CB on the team?

you should actually listen to the press conferences instead of being drawn to sensationalist headlines like a dumb moth.

Mike Vick said he knew his words would be twisted but he's trying to take accountability which would hopefully funnel throughout the team. 

How many times have we heard that guys in the locker room look up to him?  If that's true, and he is willing to tell the media he needed to be more prepared, what does that say about their own preparation? 

It's an obvious motivational ploy by a savvy vet who cares.

Only the weak minded like you and your ilk would extrapolate that Vick admitted he doesn't care and isn't trying and that's somehow a condemnation of Rex.  use your brain, weakling.

you should actually listen to the press conferences instead of being drawn to sensationalist headlines like a dumb moth.

Mike Vick said he knew his words would be twisted but he's trying to take accountability which would hopefully funnel throughout the team. 

How many times have we heard that guys in the locker room look up to him?  If that's true, and he is willing to tell the media he needed to be more prepared, what does that say about their own preparation? 

Only the weak minded like you and your ilk would extrapolate that Vick admitted he doesn't care and isn't trying and that's somehow a condemnation of Rex.  use your brain, weakling.

I'm assuming your post is an obvious motivational ploy by a savvy vet who cares.

We are to assume Michael Vick cares? When did that start?

Why did we move him to corner in the first place?

Why is Quentin Coples playing OLB?

This is the first time in NFL history a safety was asked to play corner out of necessity because of injury and then asked to go back. What an embarrassment this team is.

Rex's previous ability to put players in multiple spots and have success (like with Adalius Thomas in Baltimore) has been over-done the last couple years.  Rather than keep a guy at a position of success he's weakening multiple positions by moving them into uncomfortable roles.  Keep Allen at safety and put Coples hand in the dirt, and let the pieces fall where they may at OLB and CB. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFkAAvDkj9k

Rex's previous ability to put players in multiple spots and have success (like with Adalius Thomas in Baltimore) has been over-done the last couple years.  Rather than keep a guy at a position of success he's weakening multiple positions by moving them into uncomfortable roles.  Keep Allen at safety and put Coples hand in the dirt, and let the pieces fall where they may at OLB and CB. 

defensive genius

We are to assume Michael Vick cares? When did that start?

Last couple years Vick has been calculated with everything he says in front of a mic.  You telling me he nonchalantly said he doesn't care to vultures like Cimini and Mehta without knowing what he was doing?

Don't care what any of you guys say...  to me it was crystal clear what he was trying to accomplish.

Archived