Eliminate the GM position by just giving it to whoever coaches this team....

CobraVerde

The best coaches if memory serves me correctly were usually dual job guys. They had total control of personnel and of coaching. Dont know why the jets continue hiring a separate GM, instead of letting the coach handle the duties. I say whoever takes over this team as coach next year, give them the GM job too.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? 

This seems like a CobraVerde thread.

Well then why dont you start a conversation for once that gets people talking instead of just trash talking.

You want Mangini back?

Interesting...

Where did i say Mangini? Why are you making sht up like a not so smart person instead of giving a valid opinion.

no

by all means enlighten us with your vast knowledge.

Found this thread on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1yt1l4/what_nfl_coaches_also_serve_as_the_gm/

Insteresting that Bellichick Carroll Caldwell Lewis are all coach/gm. Doesnt it make sense that since most of the jets turmoil has stemmed from disagreements between coach and executive? You mean to tell me none of you would want to just give whatever wet dream idea of coach you want complete control rather than having to deal with this Who is in charge of the Jets crap year in and year out?

The best coaches if memory serves me correctly were usually dual job guys. They had total control of personnel and of coaching. Dont know why the jets continue hiring a separate GM, instead of letting the coach handle the duties. I say whoever takes over this team as coach next year, give them the GM job too.

Thoughts?

I agree there. It reduces a person to blame for all the losses.

Found this thread on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1yt1l4/what_nfl_coaches_also_serve_as_the_gm/

Insteresting that Bellichick Carroll Caldwell Lewis are all coach/gm. Doesnt it make sense that since most of the jets turmoil has stemmed from disagreements between coach and executive? You mean to tell me none of you would want to just give whatever wet dream idea of coach you want complete control rather than having to deal with this Who is in charge of the Jets crap year in and year out?

Pete Carroll is not a GM

I think we should get rid of the HC and GM and turn the management of the team over to IDSUCK and the rest of his band of Billboard Boys and their "cause"...

After all, they can scam donations, create billboards and copy Steelers tpwels...why not let this great "cause" draft players, design game plans and call plays..

They can do it...and think of all the press conferences and media interviews they can do

What if we find a franchise QB and everyone else is interchangeable? I tend to think the GM is significantly more important than the head coach. If you can't assemble a talented roster, I don't care who your coach is. For as bad as Rex needs to go, Idzik needs to go twice as much. Not just because he's bad at his job, which he is, but because there's someone out there immensely better.

If the Jets somehow manage to land a guy like Harbaugh, he'll almost certainly come with the power making him the de facto GM. There aren't a lot of candidates at that level out there, though.

The GM position and the head coaching job are both full time jobs. We're having trouble finding guys that can do either competently, now you want to go out of your way to give someone double responsibilities? Probably not the best plan going in. They can shoot for a guy like Harbaugh before hiring a GM, but then they need to hire a GM who hires the coach, etc.

Thoughts?

10616019_10203747390959262_2337117426873

by all means enlighten us with your vast knowledge.

Good thing Im too stupid to get sarcasm, that way everything is a compliment.

You are taking the success of the dual role from rare examples, then saying this "I say whoever takes over this team as coach next year, give them the GM job too." This is ludicrous and I felt it deserved a simple no rather than an explanation. Simply saying NO is a way to voice my opposition without going into details. But since you want to be enlightened Ill bite.

You are making a blanketed statement. If there is a HC who could fill this role, I as well as 99% of Jet fans would be all in. Harbough for example. However If a guy like Rex is coach, then you get all defensive picks, and I as well as 99% of all Jet fans would be not all in. So therefore your question didn't deserve an answer because without an example of a person who may or may not fill a dual role, the discussion is mute. 

Thoughts?

Really bad idea

What if we eliminate the head coach position and just give it to whoever the GM is?

why don't we just eliminate the entire franchise and set ourselves free .... This can turn into a Yankee forum with a few color changes and a team that averages a few championships a decade

This does not usually work out as the HC cares about winning the next game and the GM cares about the next 5 years.  I am amazed the BB can do it. He trades away guys that can help him the upcoming year for potential future benefit.  For a guy that is "on to cincinati" this is out of character.

Thoughts?

They did that with Parcells and his drafts were laughable. Great coaches don't necessarily know great talent. I want a true personnel guy in charge of hiring a HC and picking the players in the draft. A coach divided against himself cannot stand. Also, Jets players hated Weeb Ewbank as GM and HC. It is kind of a conflict of interest in that as coach you want to build a guy up, but as GM you kind of want to tear him down to take less money.

This does not usually work out as the HC cares about winning the next game and the GM cares about the next 5 years.  I am amazed the BB can do it. He trades away guys that can help him the upcoming year for potential future benefit.  For a guy that is "on to cincinati" this is out of character.

He has all kinds of help. He doesn't do the job all by himself that is for sure. NE has a personnel director and a scouting department that work together in getting Belicheat all the info he needs.

Archived