jets to seek out FA Jake Locker

ebonix

...First, as mediocre as Locker has been, he has been better statistically than any Jets quarterback in the last six years, and he has been better than Geno Smith by a wide margin.  Second, the Jets will likely move on from Michael Vick, meaning they will need another quarterback on the roster, preferably a veteran.  Third, there just aren't very many good choices available in the free agent market.  Fourth, of the available choices, Locker probably has more upside than almost all of them.  If the Jets choose to move on from Michael Vick and/or Geno Smith, they could do worse than Jake Locker as a replacement.

I'm interested to see how he looks on sunday first hand. Might be worth a look as a stopgap, Bradford worth a look too. I'm not interested in hoyer.  

I'd rather go the Locker/Bradford route + mid-round/developmental QB route than drafting Mariota/Winston. Then I hope we can find a QB in the 2016 draft.

I'd rather go the Locker/Bradford route + mid-round/developmental QB route than drafting Mariota/Winston. Then I hope we can find a QB in the 2016 draft.

yes, agree. No rookie starter, even if we get mariotta. If we miss out on mariotta then draft cooper and then try to develop a qb from lower in the draft.

Also where are you getting this info from- show the source

Possibly speculation from the OP, but honestly not beyond the realm of possibility that they'll pursue every FA QB available because I can't think of one that wouldn't be an upgrade.

...First, as mediocre as Locker has been, he has been better statistically than any Jets quarterback in the last six years, and he has been better than Geno Smith by a wide margin.  Second, the Jets will likely move on from Michael Vick, meaning they will need another quarterback on the roster, preferably a veteran.  Third, there just aren't very many good choices available in the free agent market.  Fourth, of the available choices, Locker probably has more upside than almost all of them.  If the Jets choose to move on from Michael Vick and/or Geno Smith, they could do worse than Jake Locker as a replacement.

I don't understand this thread... is the thread title your opinion? Or is it the title of a report you read? What is the rest of this, your opinion or an excerpt? 

God no!

Maybe the opinion of a poster on GGN? I dunno... 

Lock. Dump. Ban.

It's an excerpt.  He apologized for not linking the source.  It's a good article to discuss.  Why would we lock, dump or ban?  

I'd be happy with Locker as their starter and Mariota on the bench for a year or two (with a real deal, stable, offensive-QB minded coaching staff in place).  

Fair enough.  Are you one of those guys that insists on a HC from the offensive side?  I'm not.  I think offensive coaches tend to meddle in play calling and muck things up unless you get a guy who is to the O as Rex is to the D.  Like Payton.  I agree we need an HC that prioritizes offensive talent and isn't afraid to turn the O loose because it will lower defensive stats or make things tough on the D, but I don't think the guy has to be from the offensive side.  Obviously we need a strong offensive staff in place to develop the QB.  

How do they know who the Jets will be targeting at QB without knowing who the GM and HC are gonna be?

If Rex and Idzik were returning, Locker would make a lot of sense. He's beaten Rex and he's gotten seriously hurt. Really checks off both their boxes.

How do they know who the Jets will be targeting at QB without knowing who the GM and HC are gonna be?

If Rex and Idzik were returning, Locker would make a lot of sense. He's beaten Rex and he's gotten seriously hurt. Really checks off both their boxes.

Also, this is why it's NOT a good article to discuss. It presents as though it's inside information, when in fact it can't be anything but speculation.

I'm a huge college football and I have no idea what anyone saw in guys like him, ponder and ej Manuel. They were all average in college yet people feel in love with their "talent."

locker had a 55pct completion pct in his final year in college in a zero defense pac 10 conference.

Then he came to the pros and he sucked worse and now people want him on the Jets? Lol no thanks

Also, this is why it's NOT a good article to discuss. It presents as though it's inside information, when in fact it can't be anything but speculation.

It's a good article to discuss because of the chart and analysis off all 2015 FA QBs.  Maybe you should read it before you discuss it.

Tennessee Titans come into Sunday's game against the Jets with Jake Locker starting at quarterback.  Locker is only starting because rookie Zach Mettenberger is out with an injury.  Mettenberger, a 2014 sixth round draft choice, beat out Locker earlier in the year for the starting job, and it appears very likely the Titans will not re-sign Jake Locker this offseason, when he is slated to become a free agent.  Could this game be an audition for Locker to become an option at starting quarterback for the 2015 NY Jets?

I know, I know, yuck.  Locker had four years in Tennessee to state his case and never really secured the starting position.  Part of that was due to multiple injuries, part was due to uninspired play, but Locker was never quite good enough to win the job permanently in Tennessee, and he was beaten out this year by an unheralded sixth round draft choice rookie quarterback.  So if Locker isn't good enough for Tennessee, why should the Jets want him?

There are actually a few good reasons.  First, as mediocre as Locker has been, he has been better statistically than any Jets quarterback in the last six years, and he has been better than Geno Smith by a wide margin.  Second, the Jets will likely move on from Michael Vick, meaning they will need another quarterback on the roster, preferably a veteran.  Third, there just aren't very many good choices available in the free agent market.  Fourth, of the available choices, Locker probably has more upside than almost all of them.  If the Jets choose to move on from Michael Vick and/or Geno Smith, they could do worse than Jake Locker as a replacement.

Listed below are the best (I use that term loosely, by necessity) of the current free agent quarterback options for 2015.  There are of course other possibilities, like perhapsRobert Griffin III, if the Redskins choose to cut or trade him, but these are the most palatable options slated for free agency in 2015.  It is not an inspiring group, but the best of these players still represent an upgrade, in some cases a substantial upgrade, over the level of play the Jets have seen over the last six years.

Shaun Hill and Austin Davis have better numbers than Locker, but Hill will turn 35 years old in January and hasn't started more than six games in a season since 2010.  Hill is probably past his due date.  Austin Davis has only played in nine games his entire career, all in 2014, and after getting off to a hot start, he really fell hard back to earth, throwing for a 75 QB rating or lower in four of his last five starts.  With such a small sample size and such a hard fall I'd be very wary of counting on Davis.  The Rams also may well wish to re-sign Davis in the offseason.  Jason Campbell has slightly better passing numbers than Locker, but he'll turn 34 by the end of the 2015 season, he hasn't been a full time starter since 2010, and he hasn't had better than a 76 QB rating since 2011.  There's no upside with Campbell, but the Jets could do worse.  Of the remaining options, Locker is as good or better than any of them, has as much upside as any of them, has the 2nd highest QB rating, the highest yards per attempt, and the best TD to INT ratio, and Locker runs the ball much, much better than any of them.  As much as you may consider Locker and say to yourself, I'll pass, he may well be the best Jets option at quarterback in 2015. So as you watch Sunday's game, you might want to pay particularly close attention to the other team's quarterback.  He just might be auditioning for the starting QB job for the Jets come next year.

It is nothing but speculation.  Doesn't mean it isn't something to discuss.  Go to the link for the chart because it formats as half the page cut and pasted. 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/12/12/7382805/ny-jets-jake-the-jet

It's a good article to discuss because of the chart and analysis off all 2015 FA QBs.  Maybe you should read it before you discuss it.

It is nothing but speculation.  Doesn't mean it isn't something to discuss.  Go to the link for the chart because it formats as half the page cut and pasted. 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/12/12/7382805/ny-jets-jake-the-jet

The questions I asked were to determine if I should bother, your seal of approval was a strike against it.

Possibly speculation from the OP, but honestly not beyond the realm of possibility that they'll pursue every FA QB available because I can't think of one that wouldn't be an upgrade.

Yes, any new GM coming will need to get a established QB...They'll know they'll have to win immediately or the fans will be irrational and buy billboards and throw flags to get him fired.

So they'll bring in and overpay a lot of free agents and hope for a 9 win season in perpetuity.  It seems Jet fans are happy with 9 win season and are unwilling to rebuild..

Jake Locker is horrible.  He'll have a good game against our secondary which right now couldn't stop Ryan Leaf.  You guys are so lost in your own world I wouldn't even consider this clown for a one-year stop gap while we develop another qb I'd rather just let that new qb start right away.

This is Mike Vick all over again.  Jets fans and this organization overrating another team's crappy veteran qb.

Archived