Could Woody be fined by the NFL for tampering on the Revis comments?

joewilly12

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Woody Johnson be fined by NFL for saying he wants Darrelle Revis to return to Jets?

FLORHAM PARK -- During the course of his press conference Monday, after he firedcoach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik,Jets owner Woody Johnson was asked about his former star cornerback, Darrelle Revis.

Johnson made some candid remarks that could result in him being fined by the NFL for tampering. A league spokesman declined to comment when asked if Johnson might be fined for saying what he said about Revis. It sure seems like the league would not hesitate to fine a player for saying something like Johnson said Monday.

Johnson was asked about the Jets not landing Revis this past offseason, when Revis was a free agent and the Jets desperately needed cornerbacks. Revis wound up signing with the Patriots.

After Johnson was asked the question, Jets media relations director Bruce Speight tried to interject and say Johnson could not talk about the matter. But Johnson spoke up anyway, and said he did not think the Jets had a realistic shot at getting Revis back last offseason.

"Darrelle is a great player," Johnson said. "If I thought I could've gotten Darrelle for that, I probably would've taken him. It was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I'd love Darrelle to come back."

What made Johnson think he couldn't get Revis back last offseason?

"I guess my experience with his agents, and that's all," Johnson said. "It would have been very hard."

It is that "I'd love Darrelle to come back" line that could catch the NFL's eye, and result in tampering fine for Johnson, who has more than enough money to pay it, of course.

Could the Jets get Revis back during this upcoming offseason? Ryan certainly could have used Revis in 2014. Even now, the Jets still need a No. 1 cornerback, since Idzik so poorly addressed the position in free agency last offseason. And the draft, in which the Jets will pick sixth in the first round, does not boast a significant crop of elite cornerback prospects.

Revis is technically under contract with the Patriots for next season, but his two-year deal is back-loaded, so that he will carry a $25 million salary cap charge next season, compared to $7 million this season.

So the Patriots might release him and let him become a free agent again, though he certainly could re-sign with them. New England saw Revis thrive this season, and show he remains one of the NFL's best cornerbacks.

After Johnson grew tired of Revis's contract holdouts, he decided to trade him following the 2012 season. Revis played his first six NFL seasons with the Jets and became a star. Johnson and Idzik sent Revis to Tampa Bay, in exchange for a first-round draft pick and a fourth rounder.

The Jets used the first rounder to select defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, last year's NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. The fourth rounder was used this year on wide receiver Jalen Saunders, whom the Jets cut earlier this season. Overall, Johnson is pleased with what he got in the Revis trade, even though he lost an elite player.

"There's a lot of emphasis on one player (Revis)," Johnson said. "We made a trade with the Buccaneers and we got a one and a (fourth-round pick), so we got a fairly good player (Richardson) in return for that. I would say (Richardson) should be a Pro Bowler. I agree with the coach (Ryan) on that."

Tampa Bay tried to trade Revis after last season, but couldn't do so, and opted to cut him. Revis then signed with the Patriots. Earlier this season, Revis was non-committal when asked if he would like to return to New England in 2015, or perhaps come back to the Jets, or maybe play for Ryan, wherever he lands.

Johnson was plenty committal Monday about his desire to once again employ Revis. How decisively will the NFL deal with Johnson's comments?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/could_jets_owner_woody_johnson_be_subject_to_fine_for_his_comments_about_darrelle_revis.html#incart_more_sports

Not tampering in any form.

Typical New York Media, see if you can **** the home team by inflating some sh*t into something it isn't.

isnt it just unreal how the NY media lives to start TMZ -like drama?....I've lived here my whole life so I guess I have nothing to compare but it can't be like this is most cities can it ?...the jets media especially is a joke , they are as bad as high school girls I swear.

I'd agree that he should be fine, but here is the wording from the policy. 

"Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: 'He's an excellent player, and we'd very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.') In addition, speculation by a club owner, executive, or employee on whether a player under contract to a second club may play for a third club in the future may negatively impact the relationship between the player and the club currently holding his rights. If comments are found to have adversely affected that relationship, a finding of tampering can result. All clubs should be aware that improper disclosure of confidential trade discussions with another club may be a violation of this section on prohibited public statements."

Typical New York Media, see if you can **** the home team by inflating some sh*t into something it isn't.

You can not comment that you want a player on another team that is under contract. This is tampering beyond a shadow of a doubt

As soon as I heard it I laughed, not believing that the guy can be that stupid.  What do you consider tampering if that is not? He said that he wanted a guy who plays for the patriots and is under contract and as a poster previously said will be renegotiating the contract in 1 month.

It's absolutely tampering, per the NFL's anti-tampering policy, which states "Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: 'He's an excellent player, and we'd very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.') In addition, speculation by a club owner, executive, or employee on whether a player under contract to a second club may play for a third club in the future may negatively impact the relationship between the player and the club currently holding his rights. If comments are found to have adversely affected that relationship, a finding of tampering can result. All clubs should be aware that improper disclosure of confidential trade discussions with another club may be a violation of this section on prohibited public statements."

The Patriots will have to show that Woody's comments inflicted damage upon their relationship with Revis in order to really nail the Jets on this. Since Revis' deal was effectively a one year deal, it's unlikely that anything will come of this, but facts are facts: the Jets tampered.

Claiming to want a player under contract with another team? You bet that is tampering.

Jets are cheating again just as they did with Parcells.

Wait so if BB said he would love to have a RB like Adrian Peterson (Before his problems) that's tampering?? If that's the case a HC can't talk about any other player in the league that's under contract.. Now if you offer a contract like Kraft did to BB when he was signed to take over as Jet HC that I could see..

Claiming to want a player under contract with another team? You bet that is tampering.

Troll level expert.  :sign0098:

Wait so if BB said he would love to have a RB like Adrian Peterson (Before his problems) that's tampering?? If that's the case a HC can't talk about any other player in the league that's under contract.. Now if you offer a contract like Kraft did to BB when he was signed to take over as Jet HC that I could see..

Saying you want a player LIKE Adrian Peterson is entirely different than saying you WANT Adrian Peterson. Woody openly admitted that he'd love to have Darrell Revis back as Jet.

According to the league rules as stated above, this is blatant tampering by the Jets.

Hope your new regime learns to play by the rules.

I wonder if Roger Goodell will destroy the tape of Woody's press conference.

Pretty sure this is a pot & kettle type of comment.

TX knows he's full of sh*t. Stirring the pot is what he does.

Goodell will award the Pats the Jets 1st round pick

And hurt his former team?  :rl:

Yeah right.  Goodell will sweep this under the rug like he did earlier this year when Woody tempered with Desean Jackson.

Idzik the DICK this guy was the poison that cost Rex Ryan his job 

In retrospect, it all makes sense.   I can see Idzik giving Woody the wrong info regarding CB, Vontae Davis not worthy, B. Flower, Taliq, D. Cromartie, and the rest of the strong 2014 CB free agents class.   Idzik telling Woody Revis is demanding 20 million.  And when Revis signed for a lot less and watching his coach transitioning a six round draft safety to play CB, he started to doubt this guy.  And then to top it up in the strongest WR draft in history, this guy couldn’t find ONE guy to catch a single ball during the season.  Forget the early round when Brandon Cooks was for the taking.  This guy whiffed twice taking 5’6 punt returner and another guy with no upside over 6’4 4.40 ACC Maltavis Bryant and Bruce Ellington.  He was content going into the season starting Jeff Freaking Nelson.  Woody then realized he has been duped.   This guy played a good game during the hiring process.

Any Jets fan who can't handle standing up for his team when articles like this are posted that are in the newspapers(I didn't write the article)  to me is a cowardly fan who doesn't deserve to be a member of this board. If the Patriots fans want to comment then stand up and defend the Jets or GTFO of here! 

Archived