Ian Rappaport: Plenty of teams interested in Rex Ryan

bergenjets

No he's not.  Rex at least does one thing well.  Two if you count teaching DL technique as separate from drawing up a defensive gameplan.  Sanchez did 0 things well.  Both deserved to go, but if Rex really were the Sanchez of coaching, no chance we make the playoffs in '09 and '10.  Rex's strengths helped make up for Sanchez's many weaknesses for a short period of time.

Rex is excellent at developing defensive line players. Sione Pouha and Mike Devito was a nothing until Rex came along. I can think of 10 teams off top of my head who could use him as a DC.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course there is interest. Rex doesn't suck. He just has no grasp of the offense, is terrible at in game management, clock control, timeouts, challenges, having guys lay in the end zone on kickoffs, developing young offensive players, making halftime adjustments, and adjusting his strategy to the game today.

But he sure can coach up the defense. I imagine he'll catch on somewhere eventually and win something.

I forgot about the end zone one... LOL

I disagree. Once teams caught on to the overload blitzes his D was quite tame. He never really adjusts his scheme and adapts. He blitzes from different angles and overloads which is not exactly mind boggling. Once he doesn't have the guys he needs (probowl cbs and lbs) he's pretty much average. Which means he really isn't a great d mind. He has a scheme he learned from his old man. 

Disclaimer that I'm glad Rex was fired. It needed to be done for multiple reasons. But there's no denying he can coach defense. 

Total Defense:

2014: 6th

2013: 11th

2012: 8th

2011: 5th

2010: 3rd

2009: 1st

2008: 2nd

2007: 6th

2006: 1st

2005: 5th

Disclaimer that I'm glad Rex was fired. It needed to be done for multiple reasons. But there's no denying he can coach defense. 

Total Defense:

I suspect those rankings won't look as impressive if the category was points allowed. Wins are based on whoever scores the most points, not gains the most yards.

i need to call foul on this. i wanted rex gone and am not part of the "fan club" but if you really think the people who said 5-15 minutes or whatever meant that literally then you need remedial internet and social skills.

rex will get offers if he wants them. my guess is he goes to the broadcast boost for a year then realizes he is only happy on the sideline.

The clock continues to tick on that 15 minutes it would take for our former circus clown HC to land that big new NFL HC job

T plus 31 hours and counting and the dope is not one foot closer to an interview other than with ESPN

Points allowed by the defense or the offense?

If we are trying measure defensive prowess, I would think points allowed by the defense is a more pertinent statistic. This year Rex D ranked #6 in yards allowed but #28 in points allowed for instance. Quinn and the seattle D have been #1 in least points allowed 3yrs in a row.

Total Defense:

Total Defense:

Just curious

what do these stats look like during last 2 minutes of 1st half and last 2 minutes of game, I will hang up now and listen for answer off air

Wow, lots of haters here. Anybody who thinks Rex won't get another head coaching gig is insane.

I don't think anyone is arguing he'll never get another shot.

I think most are arguing he's not the #1 Choice of every team in the NFL, is not the "best option" available, and may not (probably won't) be a Head Coach in the NFL in 2015.

He could certainly yak on TV a few years are get hype-over-rated, like a Cowher or a Gruden, sure, and get another HC gig that way.

If you need a DC Rex is a very desirable commodity.  He's limited as an HC.

Limited for sure. Ain't got a clue. The Jets were head coached by TWO guys on game day. Rex on the defensive headset and MM on the other. The media are the ONLY ones who think Rex is a good coach. Good motivator - AT TIMES - let's not forget how many times the Jets looked terrible and got their asses handed to them by 30 points or more. Buffalo anyone?

The clock continues to tick on that 15 minutes it would take for our former circus clown HC to land that big new NFL HC job

T plus 31 hours and counting and the dope is not one foot closer to an interview other than with ESPN

Are you going to keep this up?  That quote was from Rob Ryan who said he'd "be out of work for like 5 minutes" when the Cowboys fired him.  He was right.  I don't think anybody said Rex would get a new HC job so easily.  He could probably get a DC job, but why should he?  The Jets are paying him and he could work in television and pocket both checks. Your annoying posts during a time period when there has not been a single hire are not particularly informative. 

He's also GREAT at coaching defensive takeways..

2013. Total of 15...worst in the 54 year history of the Jets

2014. Total of 12 going into the Miami game. Not sure we had even one...a new franchise record for defensive ineptitude from the Defensive Genius..and all that stuff

Total Defense:

That's Yards.

Yards don't win games.  Points do.

2009:  17th

2010:  13th

2011:  13th

2012:  28th

2013:  29th

2014:  28th

Rex's Jets Defense has never been more than average giving up points.

I think most are arguing he's not the #1 Choice of every team in the NFL, is not the "best option" available, and may not (probably won't) be a Head Coach in the NFL in 2015.

Just depends on the coaching market, really.  He won't be the first choice of the Falcons, Raiders or Bears.  But he could definitely rise to the top if other coaches they target go elsewhere.

He SHOULD revert back to being a DC if he wants to have the maximum success.  But the difference in salary of a HC and DC can be pretty vast.

That's Yards.

Yards don't win games.  Points do.

2009:  17th

2010:  13th

2011:  13th

2012:  28th

2013:  29th

2014:  28th

Rex's Jets Defense has never been more than average giving up points.

Not a reliable indicator either thanks to us leading the NFL in pick 6's pretty much every year in that span.  Since Rex is HC of the whole team those pick 6's fall on him as well, but if you're evaluating his defenses they grade out pretty nicely.

Are you going to keep this up? That quote was from Rob Ryan who said he'd "be out of work for like 5 minutes" when the Cowboys fired him. He was right. I don't think anybody said Rex would get a new HC job so easily. He could probably get a DC job, but why should he? The Jets are paying him and he could work in television and pocket both checks. Your annoying posts during a time period when there has not been a single hire are not particularly informative.

Go check the posts here...dozens of fan club members said 15 minutes or less. Don't blame me for keeping the "Oh how wrong you were" clock ticking on them

If we are trying measure defensive prowess, I would think points allowed by the defense is a more pertinent statistic. This year Rex D ranked #6 in yards allowed but #28 in points allowed for instance. Quinn and the seattle D have been #1 in least points allowed 3yrs in a row.

My point was that the Jets offense allows the other team to score when the Jets defense is on the sidelines.  They also tend to provide sh*tty field position.  These things factor into "points allowed" which generally amount to the amount of points scored against a team because they rarely bother to deduct the pick sixes, fumbles, etc. FWIW, I think they were 24th in points allowed and 28th in points scored, but maybe your stats took into account other points allowed and other teams were worse. To be fair, the sh*t offense helps the yards against because teams don't open up and have a short field to travel

Total Defense:

2014: , 24th PPG, 30th 3rd %,   

Teams don't need to run up the score and thus yardage against Rex ran teams. Teams didn't need to score much against the Jets. I believe the Ravens were a low scoring team when Rex was there as DC too.

Also check the D rosters he's had over the years, particularly with the ravens. When you have hall of fame/pro bowl players it's a lot easier to be a "master mind".

Footballoutsider's ranking of the Jets D using the DVOA and  "Weighted defense" (gives a stronger grade to late-season games) metrics:

2009:

DVOA (-25.5 %) - 1st

Weighted (-29.2 %) - 1st

2010:

DVOA (-10.9 %) - 5th

Weighted (-11.7 %) - 4th

2011:

DVOA (-16.1 %) - 2nd

Weighted (-14.3 %) - 2nd

2012:

DVOA (-4.2 %) - 9th

Weighted (-8.9 %) - 10th

2013:

DVOA (-5.6 %) - 12th

Weighted (-0.9 %) - 16th

2014:

DVOA (-3.6 %) - 21st

Weighted (2.7 %) - 22nd

I think these numbers more accurately reflect what happened.  The D was very strong until 2012, when Rex could no longer "coach up" a defense devoid of elite talent.  Which is both an indictment of Tannenbaum/Idzik AND Rex.  All 3 definitely needed to be gone.

2014: , 24th PPG, 30th 3rd %,   

Did it ever occur that teams don't need to run up the score and thus yardage against Rex ran teams? Teams didn't need to score much against the Jets.

Also check the D rosters he's had over the years, particularly with the ravens. When you have hall of fame/pro bowl players it's a lot easier to be a "master mind".

Especially if the HOF player is your QB..

No he's not.  Rex at least does one thing well.  Two if you count teaching DL technique as separate from drawing up a defensive gameplan.  Sanchez did 0 things well.  Both deserved to go, but if Rex really were the Sanchez of coaching, no chance we make the playoffs in '09 and '10.  Rex's strengths helped make up for Sanchez's many weaknesses for a short period of time. 

Ok, enlighten me , what exactly did Rex do in 2009-2010 to help us make the playoffs. What were the briliant moves he made that alowed the team to win more games .

Footballoutsider's ranking of the Jets D using the DVOA and  "Weighted defense" (gives a stronger grade to late-season games) metrics:

2009:

DVOA (-25.5 %) - 1st

Weighted (-29.2 %) - 1st

2010:

DVOA (-10.9 %) - 5th

Weighted (-11.7 %) - 4th

2011:

DVOA (-16.1 %) - 2nd

Weighted (-14.3 %) - 2nd

2012:

DVOA (-4.2 %) - 9th

Weighted (-8.9 %) - 10th

2013:

DVOA (-5.6 %) - 12th

Weighted (-0.9 %) - 16th

2014:

DVOA (-3.6 %) - 21st

Weighted (2.7 %) - 22nd

I think these numbers more accurately reflect what happened.  The D was very strong until 2012, when Rex could no longer "coach up" a defense devoid of elite talent.  Which is both an indictment of Tannenbaum/Idzik AND Rex.  All 3 definitely needed to be gone.

They lost their best player on D for the season in 2012.  A slight slip in rankings was going to happen.  His first season, they lost Jenkins who everyone said we couldnt survive without and ranked 1st.  T0mShane at the time thought it was the greatest magic trick in the history of coaching. 

The damning part of these stats is something changes in 2013 and everything went to sh*t.  Go figure.

Total Defense:

There's no denying given all the pieces that fit his scheme Rex's defenses can be above average to good. If he needs to adapt and adjust w/o some key players he's toast.

Ok, enlighten me , what exactly did Rex do in 2009-2010 to help us make the playoffs. What were the briliant moves he made that alowed the team to win more games .

Lost Kris Jenkins for the year - still #1 D.  Lost Leon Washington for the year - still # rushing team in the league (first time the Jets led the league in offensive category since 1967).

Rex was just hanging out watching...he really didnt do anything.  lmfao

Archived