Ian Rappaport: Plenty of teams interested in Rex Ryan

bergenjets

Lost Kris Jenkins for the year - still #1 D.  Lost Leon Washington for the year - still # rushing team in the league (first time the Jets led the league in offensive category since 1967).

Rex was just hanging out watching...he really didnt do anything.  lmfao

But your just telling me he had depth at the DL and RB position - Tanny's fault . What did Rex do that so overwhelmingly lifted his team to the playoffs. If you say he had a very good Oline/running Game I agree, If you said he had a very good D - I agree - but I want to know how Rex the mastermind got his team to the playoffs .

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame people feel the need to fit on either side.

Only "side" I'm on is the "Jets Win a Title" side.

Rex failed to do so, and failed to show development towards doing so, and produced a worse team than the previous team in every single year he coached here, other than his very first year.

If wanting to replace that, and find someone better, is a sin, well damn me to hell then. The idea some thing there IS no one better.......leaves me almost speechless.

I'm 40. They've never been in a Super Bowl in my lifetime.

I don't want to be a Chicago Cubs Fan, pining for an entire life and never reaching that moment.

Is that so wrong? Rex was never winning a title here, no matter how many years, general managers, O-Co's and QB's you gave him. we're not missing some magic piece Rex needed to win, Rex wasn't going to win.

There's no denying given all the pieces that fit his scheme Rex's defenses can be above average to good. If he needs to adapt and adjust w/o some key players he's toast.

Lost Kris Jenkins for the year - still #1 D.  Lost Leon Washington for the year - still # rushing team in the league (first time the Jets led the league in offensive category since 1967).

Rex was just hanging out watching...he really didnt do anything.  lmfao

lmfao 

Lost Revis for the season in 2012 - still had the 2nd best pass defense in the league.

But your just telling me he had depth at the DL and RB position - Tanny's fault . What did Rex do that so overwhelmingly lifted his team to the playoffs. If you say he had a very good Oline/running Game I agree, If you said he had a very good D - I agree - but I want to know how Rex the mastermind got his team to the playoffs .

Oh ok, he couldnt win with the loss of key components but in the situations I pointed out it was depth.  That goal post, its moving, a lot.

Rex didnt do anything.  You're right.  He just sat around hanging out the facility and the team did all the work.  

Nothing below will seem especially "brilliant" because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I think the fact that a terrible defense in 2008 turned into the top D in the league in 2009 is no accident.  However, I'll give it a go in regards to specifics:

1.  Preferred a run-first offense, which was smart given our terrible young QB and beastly offensive line.  Nothing brilliant about that, but Schottenheimer is NOT a run-first guy.

2.  Whooped a talented Texans D in our opener thanks to a pretty awesome gameplan.  Lot's of A-gap blitzes that forced Schaub into one of his worst games as a pro.  Granted, it proved very easy to disrupt Schaub in later years, but at the time, he was seen as a decent QB in Kubiak's scheme.

3.  Placed that phone message to Jets season ticket holders prior to the Pats game, and the fans responded in kind with one of the loudest games in recent memory. 

4.  We know what happened in the 2009 playoffs.  Totally confused Carson Palmer and Phillip Rivers.

5.  Beat the Pats again in Week 2 of the 2010 season.  Held them scoreless in the 2nd half of that game.

6.  That 2010 team was basically the best Jets team since 1998.  Despite losing QB of the defense Jim Leonhard late in the season Rex drew up perfect gameplans against the Colts and Pats in the playoffs.

Again, Rex deserved to get fired.  But pretending he didn't make an immediate positive impact early on in his career here is revisionist history.

At least you gave it some effort , I commend that . Had to laugh at #3, the Jets fans were loud because we beat the Pats , not because Rex left a recorded message or sent a foootball weeks later. The game may have been the loudest at Metlife , but nothing close to a number of games at the old Meadowlands stadium. The new stadium is atrocious for crowd sound .

The clock continues to tick on that 15 minutes it would take for our former circus clown HC to land that big new NFL HC job

T plus 31 hours and counting and the dope is not one foot closer to an interview other than with ESPN

This isn't nearly clever enough to repeat as often as you have. Please stop.

How did Mangini do with that D?  That is how Rex the mastermind got his team to the playoffs. 

At least you gave it some effort , I commend that . Had to laugh at #3, the Jets fans were loud because we beat the Pats , not because Rex left a recorded message or sent a foootball weeks later. The game may have been the loudest at Metlife , but nothing close to a number of games at the old Meadowlands stadium. The new stadium is atrocious for crowd sound .

That wasn't in MetLife.  That game was at Giants Stadium.  It was 2009.  And it was loud from the start, not just loud because we beat them.

That wasn't in MetLife.  That game was at Giants Stadium.  It was 2009.  And it was loud from the start, not just loud because we beat them.

Yeah your right the years are blending together, but certainly not the loudest. The GB win and in game and the 51-45 Marino/O'B were my recollections of the loudest ever.

Of course there is interest. Rex doesn't suck. He just has no grasp of the offense, is terrible at in game management, clock control, timeouts, challenges, having guys lay in the end zone on kickoffs, developing young offensive players, making halftime adjustments, and adjusting his strategy to the game today.

But he sure can coach up the defense. I imagine he'll catch on somewhere eventually and win something.

bingo,,same skill set his dad had and why his Dad also failed as a HC

We were 12th in 2013 in Idzik's first season.  Still think a few spots doesn't matter?

Maybe you missed my first post when I said something changed in the organization in 2013 that maybe, just maybe had an impact on the talent of the roster, therefore the ranking of the D?

Did Rex all of a sudden forget how to coach it?  lol

Come'on man! 

So then on the flipside he led his teams to lose the AFCCG's - correct.  Because his D which was "so much better than Mangini's " certainly sh*t the bed when it mattered most.

Yep!  Rex is the worst.  He did nothing those years.  Just hung out watching and wearing a headset to make it look like he was doing something. Those games vs. Manning and Brady on the road...he didnt even go to practice those weeks.  Just kicked it and drank a few brews singing songs about the heartland.

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him

T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's not even a foot closer to a phone call than he was yesterday

Maybe teams want a coach who coaches a good game, not just a blowhard who just talks a good game

lol now that he isn't the jets coach you hate him? typical

Maybe you missed my first post when I said something changed in the organization in 2013 that maybe, just maybe had an impact on the talent of the roster, therefore the ranking of the D?

Come'on man! 

Yep!  Rex is the worst.  He did nothing those years.  Just hung out watching and wearing a headset to make it look like he was doing something. Those games vs. Manning and Brady on the road...he didnt even go to practice those weeks.  Just kicked it and drank a few brews singing songs about the heartland.

So to you the difference between 5th and 9th is negligible, whereas 9th and 12th is vast?

Come'on man! 

Those games are essentially the epitome of Rex as a HC - preparing great gameplans for the Brady's and Manning's. Yet coming out flat and virtually unprepared for BigBen & the Steelers. It seems like Rex had a tiered system for QB's , if he felt the QB was elite he put together great gameplans yet for other teams/QB's almost seems like he couldn't be bothered. But I'm sure you'll argue the Jets won the NE/Ind games because of great coaching but lost the other games including the AFCCG's because of lack of talent. 

I said in RECENT memory you old f*ck, lol. 

Hey , I won't even talk about the stands swaying in Shea for some of the games there. Not too old(51) but unfortunately was only 6 when they won SB III and really didn't appreciate what that meant at the time and the fact it wasn't repeatable.

Listening to the FAN is comedy extreme, the lamentations over firing a 4 win coach is just stunning.

You would think we fired Bill Parcells after back-to-back-to-back Super Bowl titles.

My God, did Rex's Clown Car Bravado really sell THAT well to the working-class-hero crowd?

Those games are essentially the epitome of Rex as a HC - preparing great gameplans for the Brady's and Manning's. Yet coming out flat and virtually unprepared for BigBen & the Steelers. It seems like Rex had a tiered system for QB's , if he felt the QB was elite he put together great gameplans yet for other teams/QB's almost seems like he couldn't be bothered. But I'm sure you'll argue the Jets won the NE/Ind games because of great coaching but lost the other games including the AFCCG's because of lack of talent. 

They did not come out flat.  They went up against a very tough team.  It is difficult to gameplan against getting punched in the mouth.  This bullsh*t idea that they were unprepared is annoying.  The refs called that game very tightly, especially at the start.  IIRC the Jets had them on a 3 and out if not for a ticky tack call on Cromartie. They gave the Jets a couple of give backs later on Ike Taylor, but Sanchez managed to look that gift horse in the mouth. Later in the opening drive they stuffed them and Roethlisberger ran for the exact distance they needed on a 3rd and long.  They held the Steelers on their 2nd drive and got on INT on 4th and short.  Of course the O went for negative yardage and then had a twenty something yard punt.  10-0.  That is not just coaching or being flat. It is hard to win on the road in the playoffs.  Doesn't everybody know that? 

If only Belichick did not choke his gameplans against Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning.  It takes a ton of skill, talent and luck to get to that level.  You can't win them all and every time you lose it is not because you are flat or poorly coached.  

This isn't nearly clever enough to repeat as often as you have. Please stop.

OK boss

No problem...

Can I bring it up.again in 2017 when he finally gets his foot in an NFL door and takes a defensive coordinator job somewhere?

They did not come out flat.  They went up against a very tough team.  It is difficult to gameplan against getting punched in the mouth.  This bullsh*t idea that they were unprepared is annoying.  The refs called that game very tightly, especially at the start.  IIRC the Jets had them on a 3 and out if not for a ticky tack call on Cromartie. They gave the Jets a couple of give backs later on Ike Taylor, but Sanchez managed to look that gift horse in the mouth. Later in the opening drive they stuffed them and Roethlisberger ran for the exact distance they needed on a 3rd and long.  They held the Steelers on their 2nd drive and got on INT on 4th and short.  Of course the O went for negative yardage and then had a twenty something yard punt.  10-0.  That is not just coaching or being flat. It is hard to win on the road in the playoffs.  Doesn't everybody know that? 

If only Belichick did not choke his gameplans against Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning.  It takes a ton of skill, talent and luck to get to that level.  You can't win them all and every time you lose it is not because you are flat or poorly coached.  

You're tryin to tell me they didn't come out flat against the Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall ran all over them , the heart of the team , the defense . Then when they had a chance after a furious 2nd half comeback the same D couldn't get the ball back and let Pitt run out the clock.

And you have to give the Giants credit with those two wins they pressured Brady where he's most vurnerable - up the gut, but the Giants still lucked out with the in the grasp - helmet catch.

You're tryin to tell me they didn't come out flat against the Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall ran all over them , the heart of the team , the defense . Then when they had a chance after a furious 2nd half comeback the same D couldn't get the ball back and let Pitt run out the clock.

And you have to give the Giants credit with those two wins they pressured Brady where he's most vurnerable - up the gut, but the Giants still lucked out with the in the grasp - helmet catch.

They lost.  Sometimes the other team is better. IMO the Steelers were the better team.  Actually, so were the Pats, but the Jets managed to beat them. Roethlisberger is probably one the most difficult guys to gameplan against.  Mendenhall had an excellent game against them, but I think he had like 4.4 ypc.  It's not like he was so otherworldly.  I am very impressed that you can give the Giants credit but not the Steelers.  It is hard to win a playoff game on the road, let alone do it 3 times in a row.  Ask Sean Payton.  Everybody here is (rightfully) excited at the idea of having him coach here, but he managed to lose to a ******* 7-9 team. 

I remember quite well that game against the pats.  One of the best regular season games I ever saw.  It was incredible, the fans and players were in rhythm.  Brady had not chance in that game.  It was the first time ever that I saw Brady being rattles from start to the end and I think he has like four delay of game.

It was stupid and childish of woody to do it again at the meadowlands.  Because he couldn’t get his wish to build a new Stadium in the west side like a spoil rich, he decided out of spite to not build one in Flushing, Queens.  We could have our own identity if not for the stupid and dumb decision by woody to help the Giants pay for their stupid and crappy Stadium.  In fact the Cowboys Stadium is a thousand times better looking than the one at the meadowland and it was a lot cheaper.  

Archived