REX, Harbaugh, Flacco Ravens...

southparkcpa

Looking at the Ravens, slight above average talent developed by a solid management team of GM, asst GM and coach.

They passed over their DC (REX) to bring in a DB special teams coach. Think about that. a special teams coach got the HC job over REX.    Flacco would never have become the QB he is under REX and management knew it.  Early on Flacco looked scared and played defensively. YET..they brought in the right talent around him.

Point being ... the right GM and coaching with player development is so much more important than players.  Arguably the Ravens talent is only slightly above average but are developed well above average. Who thought they would be here after Ray Rice???

The JETS need to bring in real football men with long term vision.

agreed, and if you look at harbaughs resume prior to getting the HC gig it took tremendous balls to hire him

newsome must have seen the skill set he was looking for and had the confidence to pull the trigger

so jealous

I like the Ravens and am happy for some Baltimore friends I have made down here in Florida. I want the Jets to have a QB like Flacco, like Big Ben, yea and like Brady. It's about time the Jets move into the next century and start playing football the way it's SUPPOSED to be being played in this era. Ground and pound this fatso.

Word at the time was Rex interviewed for that job terribly. After that he got his teeth fixed and practiced...etc. That was compounded by the notion that Bisciotti was hesitant about making him the face of the franchise after being aware of his personality.

Lit up the room, though.

I like the Ravens and am happy for some Baltimore friends I have made down here in Florida. I want the Jets to have a QB like Flacco, like Big Ben, yea and like Brady. It's about time the Jets move into the next century and start playing football the way it's SUPPOSED to be being played in this era. Ground and pound this fatso.

Right but the point is that had we gotten Flacco..we would have ruined him before we knew it. REX ruins QBs and the Ravens knew it.

Word at the time was Rex interviewed for that job terribly. After that he got his teeth fixed and practiced...etc. That was compounded by the notion that Bisciotti was hesitant about making him the face of the franchise after being aware of his personality.

I remember reading they thought he was too loyal to his players. too close to them to be the cold calculating executive

we saw that over and over here

Its not a REX thread....its a management thread.   We need real management to develop the right players.

Sort of like yesterdays discussion of why Starbucks succeeds. Management.

I thought the title of your thread started with the name "Rex" but in all caps.  Then when I started to read the thread that wasn't about Rex, it told me to take some time to think about Rex not getting hired over Harbaugh.  In all honesty, I did stop reading at that point.  My bad.

I thought the title of your thread started with the name "Rex" but in all caps. Then when I started to read the thread that wasn't about Rex, it told me to take some time to think about Rex not getting hired over Harbaugh. In all honesty, I did stop reading at that point. My bad.

We have to get it in now. The way it looks, Rex will be out of the league in two weeks.

Bisciotti built a multibillion $$ privately owned business out of his garage and knows how to take intelligent risk

Woody started receiving trust fund distributions at age 5 and ran nothing until he decided to buy a football team via a blackberry email bidding war while on a beach

The problem was and always will be, the guy signing the checks.

Its not a REX thread....its a management thread.   We need real management to develop the right players.

Sort of like yesterdays discussion of why Starbucks succeeds. Management.

Agreed but my point is or was up above that it is also a question of football PHILOSOPHY, Do we WANT to play the game like the Green Bay Packers of the 60's or do we want to play it the way it's being played today, with TODAY'S rules of protecting QB's and WRs always having 90% of the penalties called THEIR way?  

this is an opinion. All Baltimore proved last night is you can win with defense as long as you have at least average QB play which the jets haven't had in years

You call a 62% completion % with 27 TDs and only 12 INTs 4000 yrds and a 91 QBR AVERAGE Anth?

this is an opinion. All Baltimore proved last night is you can win with defense as long as you have at least average QB play which the jets haven't had in years

No question..it is my opinion but based on real fact pattern and I believe the opinion of Ravens management.

the team who made the playoffs every year since 2008 except 2013 and has 2 SB wins.

Their management clearly does something right and its not just defense. Ray Rice taking pressure off Flacco. Bring in Steve Smith, replace Ray Rice and have the balls to cut him.  management.

You call a 62% completion % with 27 TDs and only 12 INTs 4000 yrds and a 91 QBR AVERAGE Anth?

no. Flacco is a good QB in my mind. Was just saying even an average QB can win with the right team but a good to great team with a "great coach" can not win with bad QB play, see Arizona

no. Flacco is a good QB in my mind. Was just saying even an average QB can win with the right team but a good to great team with a "great coach" can not win with bad QB play, see Arizona

Or Sanchez with the Eagles. QB play is extremely key but a good QB on a team with poor management will suffer.

Or Sanchez with the Eagles. QB play is extremely key but a good QB on a team with poor management will suffer.

I mentioned this in another thread. in the Raiders snow game when Brady was an unknown at the time the Pats threw a million misdirection screen passes in that game that had the Raiders off balance. if Rex was the coach Brady would have been taking 7 step drops on third and long and gotten killed.

I mentioned this in another thread. in the Raiders snow game when Brady was an unknown at the time the Pats threw a million misdirection screen passes in that game that had the Raiders off balance. if Rex was the coach Brady would have been taking 7 step drops on third and long and gotten killed.

Agreed. I saw the development of Flacco all during 2008. He played at Delaware and needed some real help in the first year and he got it.

Yeah the Ravens proved that with what's his name at QB.

Agreed but my point is or was up above that it is also a question of football PHILOSOPHY, Do we WANT to play the game like the Green Bay Packers of the 60's or do we want to play it the way it's being played today, with TODAY'S rules of protecting QB's and WRs always having 90% of the penalties called THEIR way?  

I'll take Door Number Two

I would LOVE for us to hire a special teams coordinator as coach of the Jets. I think they have a number of huge advantages over the "coordinator of the year route"

1. Balance Since they do special teams they tend to approach a team with a balance of offense and defense

2. Ability to adjust scheme to the players on the team. Instead of forcing a team into a certain system

3. Ability to deal with player turnover 

4. Ability to coach up players in a short amount of time

5.Better suited to handle the management aspects of a team

Baltimore obviously made the right choice, and as much as Flacco is not really a franchise guy, ge consistently plays at a much higher level in the playoffs.

Side note: Kubiak's play calling was so good last night he seriously increased his chances of becoming a HC again if he wants it.

I would LOVE for us to hire a special teams coordinator as coach of the Jets. I think they have a number of huge advantages over the "coordinator of the year route"

1. Balance Since they do special teams they tend to approach a team with a balance of offense and defense

2. Ability to adjust scheme to the players on the team. Instead of forcing a team into a certain system

Baltimore obviously made the right choice, and as much as Flacco is not really a franchise guy, ge consistently plays at a much higher level in the playoffs.

Side note: Kubiak's play calling was so good last night he seriously increased his chances of becoming a HC again if he wants it.

Agreed!  Special Teams Coordinators are usually better prepared to become HC.  They have to deal with offensive and defensive players.  I wish we would have hired Westhoff six years ago.  He would have been great.  But, he didn't even get the courtesy of an interview.

Not for one moment have the Ravens regretted passing on Rex as HC because they new his ceiling is good DC.

Ravens draft, develop players, and coach well. Once Jets do all 3 at same time they'll have sustained success. Not necessarily a championship, but they'll remain in conversation.

It's like the Giants since Eli. When they had all 3 they won championships. They haven't drafted well or coached well on D since 2011 and they've missed the playoffs because of it.

Looking at the Ravens, slight above average talent developed by a solid management team of GM, asst GM and coach.

They passed over their DC (REX) to bring in a DB special teams coach. Think about that. a special teams coach got the HC job over REX.    Flacco would never have become the QB he is under REX and management knew it.  Early on Flacco looked scared and played defensively. YET..they brought in the right talent around him.

Point being ... the right GM and coaching with player development is so much more important than players.  Arguably the Ravens talent is only slightly above average but are developed well above average. Who thought they would be here after Ray Rice???

The JETS need to bring in real football men with long term vision.

I have been pointing this out for years.

He was a member of the Ravens coaching staff for 10 years.  They went in another direction.

They knew what they had in Rex and went with John who had no association with the team.

I have been pointing this out for years.

He was a member of the Ravens coaching staff for 10 years.  They went in another direction.

They knew what they had in Rex and went with John who had no association with the team.

And the Pats seem to hire ex NY foottnall team HC's the Tuna,Carroll and the napkin quitter in recent times..

Good post and certainly an interesting way to look at it...But with that - you would need to have strong OC's and DC's as there will be no play calling experience on either side of the ball.

And the Pats seem to hire ex NY foottnall team HC's the Tuna,Carroll and the napkin quitter in recent times..

True.

I wish I could find some articles on the thought process with Carroll.

I get they wanted an anti-Par$ells, but who else was considered.

Archived