Mike Maccagnan is first GM candidate to get 2nd interview w/ Jets

AFJF

Mehta said on the radio that a GM laughed at the idea of MacCagnan being a GM.

Then again, it's Manish Mehta who has no credibility whatsoever and whose paper has been blasted by national media and local media for their treatment of Doug Marrone

Don't know MacCagnan from Adam but I laugh at Mehta being a beat writer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mehta is in a league all his own these days.  Cimini is starting to look pretty good in comparison.

Cimini has calmed down a bit. Think it's that he's away from the NYDN, and with ESPN. Trying to build a national image, and not look so much like an idiot

Maccagnan GM

Quinn HC

Shannanhan the Younger O-Co

Acceptable?

Talent guy at GM.

Defensive Coach (not a preference tbh).

Decently up-and-coming QB-centric O-Co (and RGIII failure tbh as well).

Meh, not horrible, but not great either. But I could live with it I guess.

So let me get this straight, I'm supposed to believe that "agenda boy" is so 

locked into the NFL that he can offer a true evaluation of Maccagnan who 

NOBODY knew about until a week ago???  Really???

I wonder what new ground there is to explore in a second interview?  If you spend 4-5 hrs going thru everything from organizational structure to X's and O's, what else do you need to ask him?  The only thing I can think of is they interviewed Bowles/Reich after him and might want to ask about how he'd work with either of those guys vs. Marrone who they had already interviewed.

But who would that be that could handle owners and GMs? Make Maccagnan a personnel director or scouting director if that's where he excels.

I'd hate to stay put at #6 and suffer another year of Geno. Lovie wants Winston in TB. We still have a slim shot at the Duck.

If he's not well-equipped to handle those duties himself, he can hire an assistant GM who possesses those qualities. Really, that's the kind of job John Idzik would do well if he was capable of closing a deal on the clock.

I don't know if Maccagnan is the guy or not, but I want a top guy whose #1 qualification is identifying and evaluating talent. He can assign a value to a player in a trade up, and then have his underling negotiate the deal. There's nothing wrong with that. And if they're looking at him to pair him with Doug Marrone, you can have the head coach handle the bullying in negotiations. It's not a skill the top guy has to have. He just has to know what players he wants to get, and what they're worth.

I wonder what new ground there is to explore in a second interview?  If you spend 4-5 hrs going thru everything from organizational structure to X's and O's, what else do you need to ask him?  The only thing I can think of is they interviewed Bowles/Reich after him and might want to ask about how he'd work with either of those guys vs. Marrone who they had already interviewed.

My guess is Casserly is coaching Maccagnan through the process and maybe another candidate interviewed better.

You can't have a problem with something he doesn't have.. :winking0001:

George Young didn't have much of a personality.  Also does Ozzie Newsome light up the room?  I agree with Slats.  The guy could be a librarian for all I care as long as he can evaluate talent and assign a value to it...

Man I hope you're wrong. I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid that neither Casserly or Wolf would cook this process...

I would doubt they would do that.  But inevitably they are going to favor the guys that they have the most confidence in based on their experience.  In some ways, that is part of what they are being paid for.

Don't know whether he's the right guy or not - the approach and thought process are dead on.

We have been beyond horrible in evaluating talent for quite awhile. If the thought process is to let a talent evaluator have the reins and surround him with a good money man - I'm all for it.

Bottom line is if you don't pick good talent to begin with - everything else ultimately slides into irrelevancy.   

The process ongoing I have no problem with NFL veteran people consulting on who to bring in. Vetting candidates is the way to go. I do not need a coach and GM today . I need the right coach and GM selected.

Well supported statement there. My favorite part is when you had no idea what you were talking about.

Fill me in...talked to some Texans fans and they haven't said much about their draft since the guy got there in '11.

Please, by all means, show me the way.

Except the negative stuff is being debated

Yeah, we are debating whether or not he quit on his teams and whether or not he got in to heated arguments with the GM. Where there is smoke, there better be a smoke detector.

Fill me in...talked to some Texans fans and they haven't said much about their draft since the guy got there in '11.

Please, by all means, show me the way.

No, YOU show me the way pal. I know what I'm talking about, but i can't count the number of e-hacks that make statements like yours because they bought a keyboard. Texans drafted the best WR in 2013, the best Defensive player today in 2011, the same draft they took Jets fan favorite Reid. They consistently hit on mid round picks like brandon brooks who ranked in the top 5 guards this year again, and don't waste money on bust FA signings.... 

So ya, let's hear it. enlighten me. 

Where is the FIREMANISHMEHTA "movement"?

We need billboards, towels, banners, airplanes, parades with torches, posting his home address, telephone number, SS#, bank card pincode on the internet!!!

Get on with the "mission' already

Well it's a good thing his demeanor isn't making the draft selections. I mean Christ, one cut his teeth as a scout and the other on the business side. The guy could be a raging Sean Avery type douchebag for all I care, so long as he is good at his job.

So, no throwing darts and making selections? Dang, I guess no more drafting 15 probowlers from 12 picks then.

He was bashing Maccagnan coming in for a sec interview saying he has been in the league for 20 years and never has received a GM interview.

Yeah, but else was he supposed to say? Mac is great candidate and has an exceptional track record in the NFL? I don't mind getting the facts, although Cimini takes subtle shots at the Jets FO/CS all the time.

No, YOU show me the way pal. I know what I'm talking about, but i can't count the number of e-hacks that make statements like yours because they bought a keyboard. Texans drafted the best WR in 2013, the best Defensive player today in 2011, the same draft they took Jets fan favorite Reid. They consistently hit on mid round picks like brandon brooks who ranked in the top 5 guards this year again, and don't waste money on bust FA signings....

So ya, let's hear it. enlighten me.

Funny, I hear the exact opposite from fans of the team. 1st round good 2-7 not much. I already said I know nothing about these guys.

Never heard of him, but our drafting has been sh*t outside of 1-2 rounds. And even some of those rounds weren't even that good (Reed, Mercilus). This was the year we were supposed to have a badass draft annnnnd it's been the same. Don't know what he's done, but Won't miss the guy

Eh, I don't know much about him, but the Texan's drafting in the last few years (If I remember correctly, he's been here since 11) hasn't been very good

I have no idea who he is, but after our drafts I definitely want the Jets to hire him so we can get someone better.

Your "e-hacks" line is funny though. I'll give you that, I chuckled.

Archived