Four Imperative Things That Should Be Adressed Tomorrow

Seth

Four Imperative Things That Should Be Adressed Tomorrow

By Seth.P on Jan 20 2015, 1:34p + Edit Entry

16773035-mmmain.0.jpg

Tomorrow morning will be an exciting day in New York Jets history, as the team will present new General Manager Mike Maccagnan, and Head Coach Todd Bowles, who will address the media for the first time in their respective positions. Making a positive impact at the introductory press conference is certainly not an indicator of how successful any executive, or coach will be, but it can be instrumental in spreading positive vibes throughout the organization, and fan-base. The extreme opposite of this can be currently displayed with the San Francisco 49ers, as the unpopular promotion of Jim Tomsula to head coach has angered their fan-base tremendously. Unfortunately, Tomsula’s introductory press-conference went horribly among their fans, prompting their overall emotion to become significantly more negative. Regardless of how the press conference tomorrow is perceived, I have complete faith in our new regime to steer us in a positive direction. Nonetheless, here are some ideals, and issues I would like to see addressed by both men.

The offense: I suspect a notable chuck of the questions asked by the media will pertain to how Maccagnan, and Bowles intend to improve this depleted offense, and rightfully so. We should not expect concrete, and direct answers regarding specific players, or transactions, but it would be refreshing to hear some offensive ideologies, and ideas articulated. Furthermore, questions about the quarterback situation will unquestionably be asked, but anything short of a generic response should be expected, as it is too soon into the new regime to expect otherwise. We may hear something along the lines of being in an evaluation mode, and while that is perfectly understandable; it would simply be encouraging to hear something more direct than cooperate lingo.

The scouting department: Last week new Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan fired both Terry Bradway, and Jeff Bauer, who were the two most influential executives in the scouting department. It has been reported that Maccagnan already has candidates in mind to fill their positions, but don’t expect to hear specific names regarding those roles quite yet. However, considering player evaluations, and scouting is Maccagnan’s expertise; I am intrigued to hear his views, and outline for the department. It is no secret, and rather evident the Jets have been one of the worst drafting teams in the league for several years, so a transparent attempt to explain his scouting philosophies would be refreshing (I am aware there is an interview from several years ago regarding this, but I am curious if his views have changed slightly since then, and his plans specifically relating to the Jets).

Assertiveness: When John Idzik was introduced two years ago as the general manager, I did not hear a confident, and organized outlook for the organization. It was virtually a thirty-one minute, and eighteen second opportunity to assert the most simplistic, and safest answers possible. By no means do our two new leaders have to be charismatic, in fact; from all accounts they will be the opposite of that. However, one can be uninspiring to listen to, but simultaneously present himself in an assertive, and direct manner. Essentially, all that can be considered imperative is the fan-base understanding precisely the plan of attack from the general manager, directly downwards towards the head coach.

Accountability: One of the major weaknesses Rex Ryan possessed as a head coach was being far too nonchalant about discipline. I am not speaking in terms on the field, because the Jets were actually ranked twentieth among teams penalized during the season. Instead, I am referring to the culture that was possessed by the team as a unit. For instance, it may have been an honest mistake, but the fact Geno Smith missed a Saturday meeting, and was afforded the opportunity to start the game is ludicrous. Todd Bowles is not a major disciplinarian from multiple reporters, nor should he be, but this team desperately needs an added amount of accountability, and the ideology of players being responsible to perform their jobs adequately, or face the consequences.

There are a multitude of other things that can be magnified, and should be addressed tomorrow, but these four specific things are crucial for the future success of the franchise. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing what transpires at the press conference, as it should be a positive, and joyful day for the fan-base.

mehta "Mike, welcome to NY.  Is it true woody decided against hiring doug marrone due to bad press ?"

I wish someday it would be ok for team officals to tell a sports beat guy to Effing screw himself.

What qualifies Mehta to be a football beat writer anyways. Because to me he has never come across as someone who possesses an iota of football  intellect. He sounds like someone who missed his calling at TMZ.

I wish someday it would be ok for team officals to tell a sports beat guy to Effing screw himself.

What qualifies Mehta to be a football beat writer anyways. Because to me he has never come across as someone who possesses an iota of football  intellect. He sounds like someone who missed his calling at TMZ.

I miss the days when the writers would ask the coaches which o-lineman graded out best after they watched the game film

you're right, now it's mostly self serving TMZ non sense to fit the pre-determined narrative

Good thoughts.

I'm just hoping that neither guy tries to talk to the fans like they're idiots. I don't need them to promise me the playoffs, and I don't want them to tell me how great every player on the Jets is. It's ok to tell us that there's a lot of work to be done, that there's a plan, and that getting to a Super Bowl is the only thing that matters.

Nothing needs to be addressed tomorrow, it's a press conference that means litterally nothing in terms of the future of the team. All it really is, is a introduction to the blowhards in the media and us the fans. Man is the NY media self absorbed or what? 

Well notice how the title says these things SHOULD be adressed, and not necessarily HAVE to be. Technically, nothing in any press conference is required, but this is a defining moment in Jets history, and I believe the quality of what is asserted should be valued.

I think it will be meaningless. For all Idzik's rambling on, had he nailed it in the draft and FA no one would care. Not even a little.

You underestimate how damaging that mid-season press conference was for his tenure, and eventual firing.

You underestimate how damaging that mid-season press conference was for his tenure, and eventual firing.

That's just a guess, no matter how awkward it was. The damage in performance was already done, and he needed to have more than Richardson and Ivory to justify surviving a full housecleaning.

This PC, by contrast, is before anyone does anything. It's meaningless.

That's just a guess, no matter how awkward it was. The damage in performance was already done, and he needed to have more than Richardson and Ivory to justify surviving a full housecleaning.

This PC, by contrast, is before anyone does anything. It's meaningless.

Of course, the primary reason Idzik was fired is due to his personnel failures, but that press conference struck a negative cord with the media, and fan-base. Once you have those two groups against you; the chance of survival becomes mitigated. 

Of course, the primary reason Idzik was fired is due to his personnel failures, but that press conference struck a negative cord with the media, and fan-base. Once you have those two groups against you; the chance of survival becomes mitigated.

I think, prior to that press conference, a lot of us thought that Idzik was carrying out a plan that was so next-level that we couldn't possibly understand the nuances therein, like he was using some sabermetric wizardy or something. His bombing of that presser eviscerated any shred of confidence among those who were giving him the benefit of the doubt, and it allowed them to divert the blame entirely from Rex, which is what most people wanted to do anyway. I still think Idzik's failures were overblown, and Maccagnan is going to reap the benefits of what Idzik set in motion.

I think, prior to that press conference, a lot of us thought that Idzik was carrying out a plan that was so next-level that we couldn't possibly understand the nuances therein, like he was using some sabermetric wizardy or something. His bombing of that presser eviscerated any shred of confidence among those who were giving him the benefit of the doubt, and it allowed them to divert the blame entirely from Rex, which is what most people wanted to do anyway. I still think Idzik's failures were overblown, and Maccagnan is going to reap the benefits of what Idzik set in motion.

I think it's safe to say Idzik was in way over his head. But the pass Rex received, especially after Idzik bombed that press conference was ridiculous. Rex was the primary reason Idzik was here to begin with anyway.

I think it's safe to say Idzik was in way over his head. But the pass Rex received, especially after Idzik bombed that press conference was ridiculous. Rex was the primary reason Idzik was here to begin with anyway.

Word. I think it was a no-win situation for any GM coming in, especially if Woody pushed to keep Rex after 2012. I'm just grateful that Idzik didn't burn all the cap room trying to save both of their jobs.

I think it will be meaningless. For all Idzik's rambling on, had he nailed it in the draft and FA no one would care. Not even a little.

Yeah I agree.....what does matter will be what happens between now and Week 1 2015 behind the scenes for this regime to get off to a good start.

I'll still be excited to listen to is, but I have no expectations and don't expect much useful info to come out of it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We've had 45+ years of not getting there. Tomorrow should be about setting an agenda to do things systematically and correctly in the broadest sense possible. And really it is as Sperm says meaningless until these guys start doing things that do matter. What will matter is free agency, the draft,  minicamp and then training camp. Through no fault of Bowles or MacCaggan there have been a lot of pressers in Jets history that didn't end mattering.

If you want a barnburner of a presser, take the Thruway north and west. And good luck with that. 

Four Imperative Things That Should Be Adressed Tomorrow

By Seth.P on Jan 20 2015, 1:34p + Edit Entry

16773035-mmmain.0.jpg

Tomorrow morning will be an exciting day in New York Jets history, as the team will present new General Manager Mike Maccagnan, and Head Coach Todd Bowles, who will address the media for the first time in their respective positions. Making a positive impact at the introductory press conference is certainly not an indicator of how successful any executive, or coach will be, but it can be instrumental in spreading positive vibes throughout the organization, and fan-base. The extreme opposite of this can be currently displayed with the San Francisco 49ers, as the unpopular promotion of Jim Tomsula to head coach has angered their fan-base tremendously. Unfortunately, Tomsula’s introductory press-conference went horribly among their fans, prompting their overall emotion to become significantly more negative. Regardless of how the press conference tomorrow is perceived, I have complete faith in our new regime to steer us in a positive direction. Nonetheless, here are some ideals, and issues I would like to see addressed by both men.

The offense: I suspect a notable chuck of the questions asked by the media will pertain to how Maccagnan, and Bowles intend to improve this depleted offense, and rightfully so. We should not expect concrete, and direct answers regarding specific players, or transactions, but it would be refreshing to hear some offensive ideologies, and ideas articulated. Furthermore, questions about the quarterback situation will unquestionably be asked, but anything short of a generic response should be expected, as it is too soon into the new regime to expect otherwise. We may hear something along the lines of being in an evaluation mode, and while that is perfectly understandable; it would simply be encouraging to hear something more direct than cooperate lingo.

The scouting department: Last week new Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan fired both Terry Bradway, and Jeff Bauer, who were the two most influential executives in the scouting department. It has been reported that Maccagnan already has candidates in mind to fill their positions, but don’t expect to hear specific names regarding those roles quite yet. However, considering player evaluations, and scouting is Maccagnan’s expertise; I am intrigued to hear his views, and outline for the department. It is no secret, and rather evident the Jets have been one of the worst drafting teams in the league for several years, so a transparent attempt to explain his scouting philosophies would be refreshing (I am aware there is an interview from several years ago regarding this, but I am curious if his views have changed slightly since then, and his plans specifically relating to the Jets).

Assertiveness: When John Idzik was introduced two years ago as the general manager, I did not hear a confident, and organized outlook for the organization. It was virtually a thirty-one minute, and eighteen second opportunity to assert the most simplistic, and safest answers possible. By no means do our two new leaders have to be charismatic, in fact; from all accounts they will be the opposite of that. However, one can be uninspiring to listen to, but simultaneously present himself in an assertive, and direct manner. Essentially, all that can be considered imperative is the fan-base understanding precisely the plan of attack from the general manager, directly downwards towards the head coach.

Accountability: One of the major weaknesses Rex Ryan possessed as a head coach was being far too nonchalant about discipline. I am not speaking in terms on the field, because the Jets were actually ranked twentieth among teams penalized during the season. Instead, I am referring to the culture that was possessed by the team as a unit. For instance, it may have been an honest mistake, but the fact Geno Smith missed a Saturday meeting, and was afforded the opportunity to start the game is ludicrous. Todd Bowles is not a major disciplinarian from multiple reporters, nor should he be, but this team desperately needs an added amount of accountability, and the ideology of players being responsible to perform their jobs adequately, or face the consequences.

There are a multitude of other things that can be magnified, and should be addressed tomorrow, but these four specific things are crucial for the future success of the franchise. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing what transpires at the press conference, as it should be a positive, and joyful day for the fan-base.

Interesting thoughts, Seth. Thanks. I've got some similar concerns, however, I don't necessarily agree that they all need to be discussed tomorrow. I look at the subjects you've raise as more of a "living" agreement between the people in charge of the team and the fanbase. I don't always need them to speak to these things, as long as it's evident that these things are paramount in the actions, decisions and dialogue around their progress in re-shaping the team.

Out of curiosity, and totally unrelated, what is the editorial work-flow like at sbnation? I see a lot of content that is obviously not proof-read in circulation, and being an ad agency traditionalist at heart it kind of gives me agita.

Interesting thoughts, Seth. Thanks. I've got some similar concerns, however, I don't necessarily agree that they all need to be discussed tomorrow. I look at the subjects you've raise as more of a "living" agreement between the people in charge of the team and the fanbase. I don't always need them to speak to these things, as long as it's evident that these things are paramount in the actions, decisions and dialogue around their progress in re-shaping the team.

Out of curiosity, and totally unrelated, what is the editorial work-flow like at sbnation? I see a lot of content that is obviously not proof-read in circulation, and being an ad agency traditionalist at heart it kind of gives me agita.

Like I previously affirmed, nothing definitely is required to be addressed, but I feel it would formulate positive vibes throughout the organization, and fan-base, should they elect to do so.

I am not a writer for SB Nation or any website. I have posted several articles over the past several days in their fan-post section, and simply want to place my name out there as a potential writer. I enjoy writing about our beloved New York Jets as a hobby, and would love to contribute for SB Nation, or a successfully ran site in general.

Like I previously affirmed, nothing definitely is required to be addressed, but I feel it would formulate positive vibes throughout the organization, and fan-base, should they elect to do so.

I am not a writer for SB Nation or any website. I have posted several articles over the past several days in their fan-post section, and simply want to place my name out there as a potential writer. I enjoy writing about our beloved New York Jets as a hobby, and would love to contribute for SB Nation, or a successfully ran site in general.

Can't argue with the bold. That said, I get the sense that firing Rex, Idzik, Bradway and Bauer gives them some positive vibe equity, so if they aren't particularly revealing tomorrow it'll be alright. I don't expect the fanbase to turn on them (apart from the fanbase that is just waiting for a fake reason to) over one press conference. 

I didn't realize that was how SB Nation works. Pretty cool, and very ambitious of you trying to get out there. Don't take the critique the wrong way, I'm just a hard-ass when it comes to "shipping" anything with errors in it. Best of luck, keep sharing the articles here too... it's nice seeing a different perspective and writers trying to find something to focus on that isn't quite the same as what all the beat-writers copy from each other.

Can't argue with the bold. That said, I get the sense that firing Rex, Idzik, Bradway and Bauer gives them some positive vibe equity, so if they aren't particularly revealing tomorrow it'll be alright. I don't expect the fanbase to turn on them (apart from the fanbase that is just waiting for a fake reason to) over one press conference. 

I didn't realize that was how SB Nation works. Pretty cool, and very ambitious of you trying to get out there. Don't take the critique the wrong way, I'm just a hard-ass when it comes to "shipping" anything with errors in it. Best of luck, keep sharing the articles here too... it's nice seeing a different perspective and writers trying to find something to focus on that isn't quite the same as what all the beat-writers copy from each other.

Thank you, I thoroughly appreciate the compliments. Part of becoming a successful writer is to be critiqued, and learn from any mistakes made along the way. I don’t resent criticism; I embrace, and evolve from it.

In the end, it seems clear the advice Woody got was to not make the same mistake twice. That being, leaving in a lame duck GM to bring in a new HC after doing the same in reverse with Ryan when he hired Idzik. There were a lot of HC vacancies and when there's a supply and demand issue you can't leave in place a GM with no less than 2 strikes on him (many would say he already struck out). It is an unstable situation and the job is already among the harder sells because there's no QB, we're not necessarily in a position to get the top one in the draft, and there's no obvious savior going to hit free agency (not to mention the media scrutiny here even if we did have one).

Idzik had to go and Johnson doesn't come across as shrewd enough to hide his thoughts (see Revis comments). He may have wanted to give Idzik another year but whether on his own or through Casserly/Wolf he ultimately decided he needed to fire both or he'd again be out of the running for the best candidates. Plus (even though it's shooting fish in a barrel after picks don't pan out) I've no doubt Casserly or both suggested he was a poor judge of talent.

Idzik didn't do himself any favors in the presser, but he was getting fired anyway because of his body of work.

And again, even if one or both facepalm their pressers, ultimately the fans and media both will still ultimately judge them on what they believe their body of work is. If Bowles comes off like a mopey MaGoo and then the Jets go 11-5 this season he'll still have the fans/press eating out of his hand. If he absolutely nails this first PC but we go 2-14, pitchforks will be sharpened.

If it goes well it'll make the fans feel better or the first few months and perhaps the initial press will be better as well. But ultimately, 1 press conference it's meaningless.

Archived