QB Thoughts

KRL

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't have a problem giving up a third for Glennon I would prefer a fourth but I think a second next year is a bit steep. I agree with the O-line issues if we can keep him on his feet he can make plays. I was hoping we picked him instead of Geno. I agree if Bowles can get our secondary and O-line shored up we can win some games

I don't see the difference.  Traditional wisdom is that a 2nd next year is equal to a 3rd this year.  Considering we are picking at the top of the round, if you think Rex sucked and Glennon is worth going after I would think we will be picking later in the round and next year's pick will lose value. 

Very true. I hope we can get Glennon before the draft starts because if Mariota does fall to us I want to wheel and deal that #6 pick, hopefully to Cleveland and get both their #1's

After we give up a 2nd - 4th for Glennon why would anybody trade up to us?  Why not play us against Chicago?  We aren't likely to draft Mariotta.

A couple of things:

It'll be interesting to see what Tampa/TN do at the top of the draft, because that shapes our future.  However, since free agency comes before the draft (I'm not sure why they won't reverse that, makes more sense) we would have to make a decision on QB before the draft.  After the top two, you may as well hand the job to Geno because there is absolutely no one else in the draft that can be a productive starter next year.  So, then we have to invest decent money in someone (or picks) to get our competition for Geno.  At that point we've invested in Geno, whoever we get to compete with him, and then possibly go for a top 6 pick QB?  I think that'll be over-investing in a position without a lock down answer.    

Why do people hate Glennon?  Schiano never seemed to like him much, and Lovie hated him.  How much better than Geno is he?  He had an 83 rating this year, which is a grand 6 points higher than Geno, and played with two stud WRs that are all pro caliber.  I'm not sure why I would want to pay more assets especially when we're low on assets to pick up Glennon, when the payoff might just not be an greater.  To me Glennon is a below average QB, and so is Geno.  He maybe slightly better than Geno, but he's not enough of an improvement to actually do anything with our team unless he drastically improves.   

Those are two very good questions; both coaches saw plenty of him on tape, in practice, in training camp etc.  What did they see that we don't or were they both morons and missed the boat on this kid?   I am not on the Glennon bandwagon but if he comes cheap, say a 4th rounder I am all for it.  If we trade down and gather more picks I might even consider and 3rd rounder (depending on what we do or don't do in FA).   Truthfully he would bring good competition to the QB position but I am far from sold on him. 

Geno should not have been starting as a rookie, we all know that. He also took a horrific beating in 2013 got hit many times late & then had to learn a whole new system in 2014.

He's still learning to take the snap from center & the snap cadence you learn to keep defenses honest. In 2 years I've seen Geno make 50 throws that were better & more accurate than Sanchez.

In 2013 he played with arguably the worst offensive players in the league. He learns a whole new system & he starts over with a whole new stable of players, Decker with a bad hammy, Amaro (a rookie), Cumby (getting thrown around like a rag doll), and a combination of Kerley with a new guy every week!

Salas, Graham, Owusu, Harvin.

CJ2 was awful last year coming out of the backfield dropping ball after ball in the flat. Amaro had numerous drops including a huge 3rd & 10 vs the Pats that would have put us in field position far FG instead, Folks kicking a 50 yarder.

This fan base has amnesia.

I'm gonna tell you guys right now that Bowles after watching film of Geno will not be throwing him away like most of you are. No doubt he will bring in competition (veteran).

Way too much was put on this kids shoulders way to soon & he still keeps pressing on. Rex screwed up in 2013, Sanchez should have been starting & Geno sitting & watching.

The Jets sign 1 good receiver (Decker), draft a TE (Amaro), a washed up CJ2 and what was everyone expecting? An offensive explosion?

Let's see what Chan Gailey comes up with. Finally an OC that is respected by EVERYONE, a guy that designs an offense to the talent on the team. I'm sure we will fix the right side of the Oline.

I guarantee you that if you look at the statistics from last year, the Jets offense had some of the worst starting possessions in the league. We were always backed up in our own zone, whether through the defense always letting teams convert 3rd downs to change field position or by the myriad of presnap penalties that had us at 1st & 15 or 2nd & 18.

Negative plays kill young QBs. Everyone needs to play smarter on this team. It's a team game!

This is the best post I have seen since I joined this forum.  Thanks for providing some perspective.  Geno actually played better (some would argue he couldn't get any worse!) after he came back from the benching; especially the last 3 - 4 games when Decker got healthy and they finally got in sync.  I am hoping that if Chan can get the likes of Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Fitz to excel, he can do the same with Geno, now with 2 years under his belt.   

Could you imagine?  Imagine last year's draft without Amaro and with a QB that could not beat Geno out in camp. 

the Jets actually  had a QB that could beat Geno out in camp. His name was Mike Vick and he never got reps. 

I can't believe people still believe in Geno Smith. Jetster, Do you work for the Jets marketing department? He's an absolute POS.  Source: I have a tv.

the Jets actually  had a QB that could beat Geno out in camp. His name was Mike Vick and he never got reps. 

I can't believe people still believe in Geno Smith. Jetster, Do you work for the Jets marketing department? He's an absolute POS.  Source: I have a tv.

Over 10 years of posting on Jets boards, and you really have a hard time grasping that one?

This is the best post I have seen since I joined this forum.  Thanks for providing some perspective.  Geno actually played better (some would argue he couldn't get any worse!) after he came back from the benching; especially the last 3 - 4 games when Decker got healthy and they finally got in sync.  I am hoping that if Chan can get the likes of Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Fitz to excel, he can do the same with Geno, now with 2 years under his belt.   

There is some reason to think that Gailey can get more out of Geno, but I would rather not bank on it.  Geno is not "the Answer" but I guess there is hope he can be schemed to success.  I would love to have a "system QB" at this point.

Why are you calling me an idiot for pointing outan absolute given? Bree's EMERGED as elite before leaving SD. Do you know what emerged means?

Citing a bunch of stats out of context doesn't tell the whole story. Did you ever watch Bree's play in SD?

Just showed you his stats prior of him joining the Saints.  Let me ask you this, did you think Hasselbeck was elite back them in 05?  :roll:

Yes, really. Go and watch those Tampa games. Watch how many drops those Top WR's commit, including their top rookie TE. Go back and watch how many false starts or other penalties back up their offense, and on 3rd and long watch Glennon complete passes for the 1st down only to be called back by penalties. Watch how that offensive line can't hold blocks or open up adequate holes for Doug Martin and Bobby Rainey, making that offense one dimensional.

Im not sure if you actually watched his games or you're just watching the names of his WR's. Mike Glennon looks like a Good QB on a bad team that have two good WR's that tend to drop passes at times. He's certainly better than Geno Smith. 

From the limited sample, Geno my look like the better athlete but Glennon seems less mistake-prone.

From the limited sample, Geno my look like the better athlete but Glennon seems less mistake-prone.

Geno is hands down the better athlete, Glennon is the better Quarterback. 

Geno in his 30 career games has thrown 25 TD's and 34 INT's

Glennon in his 19 career games has thrown 29TD's and 15 INT's

And outside of stats, just the way Glennon looks on the field is better. He isn't an athlete like Geno so Glennon always moves in the pocket while keeping his eyes down the field trying to make the pass. Thats very hard to teach yet Glennon has it and its natural. What Geno has been taught is to use his legs. Thats cool but many times I've see Geno bail on a play early because of this training. It hurts the team and it hurts his development. 

If you were a GM you would have cut Steve Young. He was awful in his 1st two years. Of course I'm not saying the Geno will be as good as Steve Young but 2 years is way to early to just GIVE UP on a young QB.

I'm also not saying that you don't bring in competition.

The Dolphins are about to give Ryan Tannyhill a 100 million dollar contract. Geno Smith kicked his AZZ in Miami last year!

I just find it hilarious that the same Jet fans that scream we have the worst offensive roster in football somehow expect a young QB to put everyone on his shoulders & win games?

We signed Decker who was injured most of the year & drafted a TE? That's it! We also started Colon & Breno! 2 cast offs from other teams. I understand that QBs coming into the NFL (especially ones that played in spread offenses in the shotgun) are gonna need more than 2 years to master the nuances to be an NFL QB.

You guys need to listen to what ex NFL QBs have to say about these things. They know more than lay people what it takes to get better in the NFL. Steve Young intimated you don't want Rex Ryan near any young QB.

Bet you won't see the wildcat anymore with Chan calling the shots!

Please, provide me with some examples. I've watched every game Geno has played. I also watched about 80% of Glennon's games, and from what I see, not only is Glennon better than Geno but Glennon shows potential to be a top 15 QB in the NFL. Now before you get bent all out of shape about my top 15 potential comment, these are the names of the QB's from 13th to 18th. http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

13. Nick Foles

14. Ryan Tannehill

15. Mark Sanchez

16. Cam Newton

17. Colin Kaepernick

18. Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

I believe that Mike Glennon's talent can have him in that conversation. In Geno's rookie year he was the 28th best QB out of 32, this year 29th. In Glennon rookie year he was 22nd and this year he didnt qualify given lack of games. However, if you go that that link that I provided you and click on "unqualified" you'll get to see all the players who threw footballs, you'll see that Glennon is in between Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick, so If Glennon would have been able to play more games at the rate he was playing at he would have been the 17th best QB in football in just his 2nd year, a rise of 5 spots from year 1 to year 2. Geno Smith actually fell 1 spot in his 2nd year.

Mike Glennon when rating him by the Total QBR is head and shoulders better than Geno Smith. Tampa Bay's organization doesn't see it and I believe that if the Jets can trade for him then we will be able to show them (Tampa) the type of QB they drafted year-after-year. 

I'd like to know why you think Geno is better than Glennon. 

Geno is mobile. Geno can run. Geno has better accuracy. Geno has a bigger arm. Geno throws a better deep ball. Geno can win a game in the 4th quarter.Geno played for Rex, Geno played with lesser weapons.

Not saying Geno will be the next franchise guy but he is easily better than Glennon.

Those are two very good questions; both coaches saw plenty of him on tape, in practice, in training camp etc.  What did they see that we don't or were they both morons and missed the boat on this kid?   I am not on the Glennon bandwagon but if he comes cheap, say a 4th rounder I am all for it.  If we trade down and gather more picks I might even consider and 3rd rounder (depending on what we do or don't do in FA).   Truthfully he would bring good competition to the QB position but I am far from sold on him. 

Yeah, I can take Schiano to be a moron, but when Lovie goes out of his way to screw the kid, then I think something is up.  He also fell a decent amount in the draft as well.   I think he would be good competition for Geno, but I agree, I wouldn't really bother with him unless he's super cheap.  But I just don't see why they would move him for a low pick either, since they can have him as a backup for 2 more years and know that he can be average if need be.  

He's not better than Geno especially when you take into account Genos running ability lack of weapons, lack of scheme fit and playing offense under Rex

I think it's debatable if he's better or not, but his performance has been slightly better.  However, I don't see the upgrade enough to throw a high pick at him.  

Geno is mobile. Geno can run. Geno has better accuracy. Geno has a bigger arm. Geno throws a better deep ball. Geno can win a game in the 4th quarter.Geno played for Rex, Geno played with lesser weapons.

Not saying Geno will be the next franchise guy but he is easily better than Glennon.

Im glad you said all these things. Im doing a "play by play" breakdown of Mike Glennon that I'll be putting on youtube and linking to this site in its own thread. I'll make sure to give you a heads up when the video is up. If you can do the same thing with Geno Smith that would be awesome. 

Geno isn't nearly as accurate as Mike Glennon or has a better deep ball and the proof is in the pudding. 

Those are two very good questions; both coaches saw plenty of him on tape, in practice, in training camp etc. What did they see that we don't or were they both morons and missed the boat on this kid? I am not on the Glennon bandwagon but if he comes cheap, say a 4th rounder I am all for it. If we trade down and gather more picks I might even consider and 3rd rounder (depending on what we do or don't do in FA). Truthfully he would bring good competition to the QB position but I am far from sold on him.

You guys seriously are relying on Love Smith for qb assessment?

I wouldn't touch Bradford with a 10-foot pole. First of all the instant the pole makes contact will put him on the shelf for six to eight weeks. Then the first d-lineman that sacks him puts him out for the rest of the season. I have a couple of good friends who are lifelong Rams fans and they say buyer beware. He hasn't played a full season yet. Why would that change in NY?

I'm not defending him or saying this is impressive, but he's been in the league for five years he started all 16 games in two seasons.

Im glad you said all these things. Im doing a "play by play" breakdown of Mike Glennon that I'll be putting on youtube and linking to this site in its own thread. I'll make sure to give you a heads up when the video is up. If you can do the same thing with Geno Smith that would be awesome.

Geno isn't nearly as accurate as Mike Glennon or has a better deep ball and the proof is in the pudding.

Geno's biggest problem is accuracy. It's actually responsible for over half of his interceptions. Glennon throws a much better ball.

Archived