Jets should redo Dbrick & Mangold

Jetster

The Jets have 30 million tied up in their Oline, mostly on these 2 guys. I would redo both of their contracts in a way that they playout their last years with the Jets.

Mangold rebounded from a tough 2013 & ranked out as a top 3 center in the entire league.

Dbrick also ranked highly & could always slide over to RT in the future if you drafted a stud LT.

With 50 million to spend in free agency I'd love to see the 1st signing be Iupati if available, I think it would be similar to when we signed Fanaca, except Iupati is a lot younger.

When we let Mawae go in free agency he still played well for 2 years with the Titans. Mangold should retire as a NY Jet.

Redoing those 2 contracts could really help us negotiate through free agency over the next 3 years of growth for Todd Bowles vision of what he wants the Jets to look like.

I will not be shocked if our new GM makes a move like this. Right now I believe DBricks 2016 salary is over 14 million!

Brick did not rank highly, and as a light in the ass finesse left tackle, he'd have that ass handed to him on the right side. Once he's not getting it done in pass protection where he is, he's done. I'd only redo his deal to reduce it at this point. 

Brick cannot RT, a position usually manned by more of a mauler.

He's better than Breno! Breno showed me nothing in pass protection, in fact I think he's below average.

Jets have no one to threat to replace DBrick with.

Also I don't know where your getting your ratings but Brick actually ranked very well considering his QB held onto the ball too long.

You have to take that into account!

Heck no. The Jets need to start preparing for the departure of Ferguson. That guy is a pass blocking LT(only) on a team that should be focusing on running the football to protect whoever the starting QB is going to be.

Geno needs protecting

Marriota will need protecting

Chase Daniels would need protecting. (that's the guy I would like to add) 

We need OLmen who are supreme run blockers and can protect the passer above average wise

Mangold is the type of player this team needs .

Brick is the type of player a passing team needs.

He's better than Breno! Breno showed me nothing in pass protection, in fact I think he's below average.

Jets have no one to threat to replace DBrick with.

Also I don't know where your getting your ratings but Brick actually ranked very well considering his QB held onto the ball too long.

You have to take that into account!

Breno's issues doesnt mean that you put D'Brick on the right side. You can draft a RT and push Breno inside and you've solved your problem. You move Brick and it will further throw off that line. You move Brick to RT then who is going to pass protect the QB's blindside? You already said that Breno can't do it. And I doubt D'Brick is more of a Mauler than Breno, so you're going to have a massive downgrade on the left side and a slight downgrade in the running game on the right side. 

If your answer is to draft a guy then you can simply do that and throw him on the right side until he can prove that he's a better pass protector than Brick. You redo Bricks deal but you dont move him unless you have someone better. Breno should have nothing to do with that decision. 

The Jets have 30 million tied up in their Oline, mostly on these 2 guys. I would redo both of their contracts in a way that they playout their last years with the Jets.

Mangold rebounded from a tough 2013 & ranked out as a top 3 center in the entire league.

Dbrick also ranked highly & could always slide over to RT in the future if you drafted a stud LT.

With 50 million to spend in free agency I'd love to see the 1st signing be Iupati if available, I think it would be similar to when we signed Fanaca, except Iupati is a lot younger.

When we let Mawae go in free agency he still played well for 2 years with the Titans. Mangold should retire as a NY Jet.

Redoing those 2 contracts could really help us negotiate through free agency over the next 3 years of growth for Todd Bowles vision of what he wants the Jets to look like.

I will not be shocked if our new GM makes a move like this. Right now I believe DBricks 2016 salary is over 14 million!

We have plenty of cap room this season, I wouldn't touch their contracts, at least not this year.

Breno's issues doesnt mean that you put D'Brick on the right side. You can draft a RT and push Breno inside and you've solved your problem. You move Brick and it will further throw off that line. You move Brick to RT then who is going to pass protect the QB's blindside? You already said that Breno can't do it. And I doubt D'Brick is more of a Mauler than Breno, so you're going to have a massive downgrade on the left side and a slight downgrade in the running game on the right side. 

If your answer is to draft a guy then you can simply do that and throw him on the right side until he can prove that he's a better pass protector than Brick. You redo Bricks deal but you dont move him unless you have someone better. Breno should have nothing to do with that decision.

I was talking about the end of his career here. I said nothing about moving him to RT next year.

Brick definitely has 3 years left. Centers can usually play for years if they stay healthy. Saints won a Super Bowl with one of our castoff centers in Goodwin.

I guess it all depends on the dead money if you are forced to cut him in 2016 if he doesn't agree to a pay cut.

Over 14 million for Dbrick is insanity!

I don't see Brick here two years from now.  Mangold maybe.  It could be Brick's play is a reflection of the guys playing to his right.  They have been pretty bad.  Even Faneca his last year was below average.  But if it is Brick I see him gone after this year.

a redo usually means pushing money into the future or just playing with salary and bonuses to get more cap space now.  I wouldn't do that here

and neither guy is taking a pay cut.  the jets have a new regime and ther are coming off of a 4-12 disaster, both agents will tell them to eff off about an actual pay cut

brick isn't pace or ogden, but he is super reliable and a good soldier.  

Brick is hardly a premier run blocker.  He is guy with long arms who can keep guys off the QBs back.

God **** it. 

I'm so sick of people talking about the OL. Will they re-do Brick? Will they sign Iupati? what will they do about Colon? 

NEWS FLASH: IT DOESNT MATTER

who was Eli's LT when he won 2 rings? David Friggin Diehl. 

The Jets have the very best center in football and went 4-12.

The line is fine. more than good enough to win. Brick is better than Nate Solder and Russell Okung. They were in the Super Bowl.

Geno is not even close to Russell Wilson. That's the problem folks. The real problem. 

it doesn't matter without a QB. That's the one problem with the Jets that we should be talking about. Or at least not be in denial about and make OL\CB\WR threads. It's ignoring the gunshot wound in favor of the paper cut. 

Could the line be better? the Jets could have first rounders and Pro Bowlers at all the OL positions, and Revis, and whoever else. They still won't get the title. 

SOURCE: it actually happened in 2009 and 2010 with Faneca and Woody. 

This league is all about the QB. 

God **** it. 

I'm so sick of people talking about the OL. Will they re-do Brick? Will they sign Iupati? what will they do about Colon? 

The line is fine. more than good enough to win. Brick is better than Nate Solder and Russell Okung. They were in the Super Bowl.

Geno is not even close to Russell Wilson. That's the problem folks. The real problem. 

it doesn't matter without a QB. That's the one problem with the Jets that we should be talking about. Or at least not be in denial about and make OL\CB\WR threads. It's ignoring the gunshot wound in favor of the paper cut. 

Could the line be better? the Jets could have first rounders and Pro Bowlers at all the OL positions, and Revis, and whoever else. They still won't get the title. 

Uh, we talk about these things because we all know a franchise QB is not falling in our laps anytime soon. Even if they take Mariota if he falls to 6 there is no way they start him in 2015.

We're dealing with the cards we have & with the ones we will obtain in free agency & the draft. Unfortunately there are no Aces in the hole to bail us out of our QB predicament.

Look at the playoff QBs!

Brady, Manning, Luck, Big Ben, Flacco. All the best QBs in the AFC!

If the Jets were smart they would have done what 1000s of Jets fans were saying before last years draft, draft QBs until you get one!

Teddy Bridgewater was sitting right there for them! Who do you think would be more beneficial long term..Bridgewater or Pryor?

Get a f*cking QB!

God **** it. 

Then explain the Falcons and the Lions > Both have Franchise QBs or so they believe, weapons galore, and in the case of the Lions, the top ranked defense last yr.

You don't win with a QB, you win with a team that plays to the strength of the team.  If the strength of your team is the right arm of your QB, then you use that and you build your team around that.

The strength of the Jets is the running game and defense. Why do we have a LT who is a liability in the running game making our team right handed. We have pass receiving TEs who can't run block. We have a solid Dline but no Lbers who can get to the QB and a poor secondary all playing out of position. The reason we haven't won is because we don't have a team, but a collection of talented players that don't support what we need to be doing.

It has little to do with the QB who should not have been the QB to begin with. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees, you develop them in a system. The last system the Jets had was under Herman Edwards . We ran the cover 2 defense and the WCO under Paul Hackett. Herm was sabotaged by 2 things.

Pennington's inability to stay healthy

A front office who didn't support him

You win as a team and you lose as a team.  

I was talking about the end of his career here. I said nothing about moving him to RT next year.

Brick definitely has 3 years left. Centers can usually play for years if they stay healthy. Saints won a Super Bowl with one of our castoff centers in Goodwin.

I guess it all depends on the dead money if you are forced to cut him in 2016 if he doesn't agree to a pay cut.

Over 14 million for Dbrick is insanity!

Then simply redo his contract. I just didnt see the point with all of the moving him around on the line...even if its after next year. 

God **** it. 

That line isn't good enough to win the type of games we're looking to win. That RG spot is a death trap for any RB or QB. Thats just the truth. Breno isn't the worst RT in the world and Aboushi could be coming into himself at LG. We really need Dozier to either fill that RG spot or the RT spot and push Breno into that RG spot because we really do have a hole at RG. The Penalties from Colon by themselves should warrant the change. 

That line isn't good enough to win the type of games we're looking to win. That RG spot is a death trap for any RB or QB. Thats just the truth. Breno isn't the worst RT in the world and Aboushi could be coming into himself at LG. We really need Dozier to either fill that RG spot or the RT spot and push Breno into that RG spot because we really do have a hole at RG. The Penalties from Colon by themselves should warrant the change.

49ers are in huge cap trouble.

Iupati should be a Jets target! Young Pro bowl guard replacing old washed up Colon...huge upgrade! Plus he's a mauler in the run game which is what we need to do to protect whoever our QB is.

Talk about competition for the other starting guard spot!

Winters-Aboushi-Dozier

Fight it out boys!

Exactly what incentive does D'Brick have to restructure his contract?

A hometown discount?

A shot at a ring?

There is no incentive for him to give up money.

Agreed. He has zero incentive to take a pay cut today because the Jets have no leverage today; he's the only left tackle on the roster. Which is why neither contract should be touched. The only exception would be in the unlikely event (as of today) that Brick somehow gets beat out for the starting job this year; then he gets cut outright, not restructured with additional new bonus money. 

Beyond that unlikely scenario, the only tangible reason for a team to "redo" veteran contracts (without an outright pay cut) would be if we badly needed spending ability right now, and we're forgoing future space for space this season.  Except that makes no sense whatsoever in our current position.  First and foremost, without a stable (or even known) QB situation, it's not like we'd be instant superbowl contenders if we only had a little bit more spending flexibility this year.  Further, we already are going to have some $50M in cap space if/when Harvin's cut. Further still, new contracts for incoming FAs have lighter cap hits in year 1 than later. You sign Iupati for say $8M per season. He doesn''t cost $8M against the 2015 cap; it'll be less than half that. Ditto Wilkerson: extending Wilk beyond his $7M RFA tender won't net-cost anything in terms of his 2015 cap number -- in all likelihood it will actually lower it. 

So unless one is looking to extend either of these 2 beyond their existing deals, 3 seasons before they're set to expire, or unless Denver cuts Peyton Manning and he suddenly wants nothing more in life than to play for the 2015 NY Jets (lol), it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to restructure Ferguson or Mangold.

"Oooh, we only had $50M in cap space for the 2015 season. Now we have $59M in cap room. So we'll clear another $8-10M that we don't need for 2015 because there aren't enough new contracts to possibly to spend that on in 1 offseason anyway."

"Restructuring" either one would be mindless/senseless/purposeless.

Exactly what incentive does D'Brick have to restructure his contract?

A hometown discount?

A shot at a ring?

There is no incentive for him to give up money.

Every year you have a shot at a ring. If you dont believe that then dont even get up to play. 

It would be a hometown discount. IF D'Brick wants to be a Jet next year and into his retirement then he will have to redo the contract. If not, release him. Trust me, D'Brick is a middle of the pack LT right now. We can draft a LT and work from there if need be. 

49ers are in huge cap trouble.

Iupati should be a Jets target! Young Pro bowl guard replacing old washed up Colon...huge upgrade! Plus he's a mauler in the run game which is what we need to do to protect whoever our QB is.

Talk about competition for the other starting guard spot!

Winters-Aboushi-Dozier

Fight it out boys!

I believe that Iupati will be a Jet. We may overpay to make sure of it, but I do believe that he'll be in the green and white next year. 

God **** it. 

And then there was that day when bitonti officially hit his breaking point.

Are you talking about a pay cut, or a restructure?   Because if your talking about a restructure, it really doesn't make much sense.   

Jets don't need a restructure, they have plenty of cap room.  That's the reason you do restructures.  To create more cap space.  To entice the player to do this, you have to give him new upfront money, and push the rest down the road.   Under the Jets circumstance, there's no point.

If your talking about a pay cut, Brick and Mangold would laugh in their face with 50+ million in cap space

Every year you have a shot at a ring. If you dont believe that then dont even get up to play. 

It would be a hometown discount. IF D'Brick wants to be a Jet next year and into his retirement then he will have to redo the contract. If not, release him. Trust me, D'Brick is a middle of the pack LT right now. We can draft a LT and work from there if need be. 

I don't see him voluntarily taking a pay cut this season. Next year maybe, since no one's likely then offering him a new contract that will pay him $10.5M in 2016 and then $13M in 2017 (what the Jets are due to pay him). Plus we'd have a better immediate cap incentive for cutting him then as well, in the form of a lower acceleration of amortized prior bonus money paid, which adds to team leverage.

But this year? He'd get his upcoming (2015) $7-8M in new money from some other team desperate for a left tackle as the spending limit shoots up to over $140M (maybe even $150M) in a few weeks and many teams will be flush with >$20M in cap space. Plus we wouldn't be clearing up needed immediate space since we already have more space than we can realistically use/need this offseason. Summary: the Jets have no leverage in 2015 and he's not taking a pay cut.

Aside from any pay cut discussions, I wouldn't want to guarantee any more future years of elite pay to a player who hasn't played elite (let alone consistently elite) in years.  He's reliable in that he's never injured and has no locker room or other off-field drama that I can recall in his 9 seasons. But go through some of the threads on gameday from the past few seasons. 98% of the time you see his name written it's a bad thing, and his name is mentioned too many times for an 8-figure offensive lineman. And for all Geno's (or Vick's) shortcomings, these aren't statuesque QBs who just stand still in the pocket like a rooted tree like Sanchez did for 4 years. When there's pressure from up the gut, Smith would run straight backwards and then trip or get tackled, but I don't remember so many sacks on Brick's man that were only surrendered because Geno held the ball for 5 seconds as is now being alleged. Granted I missed some games this year, but it's not just sack numbers that some of us see (or remember); he's gotten beaten 1-on-1 by his man a lot and has given up a lot of early pressure even in the absence of actual sacks.

Sometimes with a change of scenery (going to a new team or a total revamping of the coaching staff on the same team) a previously great player can have a resurgence, at least for a season or two. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this happens with Ferguson. Even with poor pass blocking next to him (and little to no TE help from the likes of Dustin Keller) he was one of the NFL's truly elite pass blockers for years.

I don't see him voluntarily taking a pay cut this season. Next year maybe, since no one's likely then offering him a new contract that will pay him $10.5M in 2016 and then $13M in 2017 (what the Jets are due to pay him). Plus we'd have a better immediate cap incentive for cutting him then as well, in the form of a lower acceleration of amortized prior bonus money paid, which adds to team leverage.

But this year? He'd get his upcoming (2015) $7-8M in new money from some other team desperate for a left tackle as the spending limit shoots up to over $140M (maybe even $150M) in a few weeks and many teams will be flush with >$20M in cap space. Plus we wouldn't be clearing up needed immediate space since we already have more space than we can realistically use/need this offseason. Summary: the Jets have no leverage in 2015 and he's not taking a pay cut.

Aside from any pay cut discussions, I wouldn't want to guarantee any more future years of elite pay to a player who hasn't played elite (let alone consistently elite) in years.  He's reliable in that he's never injured and has no locker room or other off-field drama that I can recall in his 9 seasons. But go through some of the threads on gameday from the past few seasons. 98% of the time you see his name written it's a bad thing, and his name is mentioned too many times for an 8-figure offensive lineman. And for all Geno's (or Vick's) shortcomings, these aren't statuesque QBs who just stand still in the pocket like a rooted tree like Sanchez did for 4 years. When there's pressure from up the gut, Smith would run straight backwards and then trip or get tackled, but I don't remember so many sacks on Brick's man that were only surrendered because Geno held the ball for 5 seconds as is now being alleged. Granted I missed some games this year, but it's not just sack numbers that some of us see (or remember); he's gotten beaten 1-on-1 by his man a lot and has given up a lot of early pressure even in the absence of actual sacks.

Sometimes with a change of scenery (going to a new team or a total revamping of the coaching staff on the same team) a previously great player can have a resurgence, at least for a season or two. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this happens with Ferguson. Even with poor pass blocking next to him (and little to no TE help from the likes of Dustin Keller) he was one of the NFL's truly elite pass blockers for years.

I dont think we should be asking him to take a pay cut this year. Next year he either takes a pay cut or he gets released. 

I believe that Iupati will be a Jet. We may overpay to make sure of it, but I do believe that he'll be in the green and white next year.

I hope you right bro he's my number 1 target before they go ham in the secondary that's should be there priorities to start free agency.

I hope you right bro he's my number 1 target before they go ham in the secondary that's should be there priorities to start free agency.

He's an absolute necessity. Though we have alot of young talent at that position (Winters, Aboushi, Dozier), no one has stepped up at the position and it would be a mistake going into the season with them as your only options at LG/RG. Sign Iupati, let the other 3 compete for the RT position, and depending on what we see maybe we'll even find our RG and our future RT in the competition. I think Aboushi and Dozier are physical enough to play the RG role and I think Dozier could possibly develop into our future RT with Winters being good depth at LG/RG.

I dont think we should be asking him to take a pay cut this year. Next year he either takes a pay cut or he gets released.

Even more than that, it's probably bad form, at a minimum, for a freshman GM to demand that one of the more respected, big-name, lifelong team veterans to take a pay cut before he's met him. Especially in a year Ferguson's not exactly breaking the bank in new money for a starting left tackle, and one in which we don't need any immediate cap relief.

Only way Ferguson gets any alteration to his 2015 compensation from the Jets is if we make a trade for Joe Thomas. There won't be any LT's on the FA market that would cause a new GM and HC to say they don't even need to see Ferguson in practice to know this new pickup is an obvious upgrade.

Next year it depends. If he finds the fountain of 2009 and we didn't pick up his obvious future replacement this season and we're still in decent shape cap-wise (which is likely), then maybe he sticks for another season even with a $14M cap hit. It's a gargantuan cap hit for him, but if it's for 1 year, he's not preventing us from picking up a necessary piece elsewhere on the field, and the cap limit is up near $150M, then maybe just let it go.  At least he's not some dirtbag that's gobbling up 10% of the cap. The year after that, though? He's not sticking under this deal when the team's staring at a $13M cap savings for letting go of a player with only 1 year left. If he's worth even close to that money then they'll extend him by a couple of years to spread the hit some. If they can't lock him up then the team has to be absolute contenders with no replacement and no more-significant holes that require that money to fill.

But while bad left tackles can certainly hurt, great ones don't win you anything. Look at Cleveland. They've won more than 5 games twice in Thomas's 8 great seasons, and after his rookie season haven't had even one .500 season since.

Even more than that, it's probably bad form, at a minimum, for a freshman GM to demand that one of the more respected, big-name, lifelong team veterans to take a pay cut before he's met him. Especially in a year Ferguson's not exactly breaking the bank in new money for a starting left tackle, and one in which we don't need any immediate cap relief.

Only way Ferguson gets any alteration to his 2015 compensation from the Jets is if we make a trade for Joe Thomas. There won't be any LT's on the FA market that would cause a new GM and HC to say they don't even need to see Ferguson in practice to know this new pickup is an obvious upgrade.

Next year it depends. If he finds the fountain of 2009 and we didn't pick up his obvious future replacement this season and we're still in decent shape cap-wise (which is likely), then maybe he sticks for another season even with a $14M cap hit. It's a gargantuan cap hit for him, but if it's for 1 year, he's not preventing us from picking up a necessary piece elsewhere on the field, and the cap limit is up near $150M, then maybe just let it go.  At least he's not some dirtbag that's gobbling up 10% of the cap. The year after that, though? He's not sticking under this deal when the team's staring at a $13M cap savings for letting go of a player with only 1 year left. If he's worth even close to that money then they'll extend him by a couple of years to spread the hit some. If they can't lock him up then the team has to be absolute contenders with no replacement and no more-significant holes that require that money to fill.

But while bad left tackles can certainly hurt, great ones don't win you anything. Look at Cleveland. They've won more than 5 games twice in Thomas's 8 great seasons, and after his rookie season haven't had even one .500 season since.

I understand you. Maybe I should have clarified my position. My intent was having Brick take that pay cut next year given what he would count against the cap. I should have stated that, but I wasnt talking about this year. 

I understand you. Maybe I should have clarified my position. My intent was having Brick take that pay cut next year given what he would count against the cap. I should have stated that, but I wasnt talking about this year. 

He's not taking a pay cut this year no many how many times you request it.

Archived