2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

The Royals base running was fabulous, truly a lost art in baseball today. 

I feel for you, I know how I'd feel if the Jets got there and lost a close SB. 

But.....

You're team is young, and talented.  Yes a few people will leave, but that always happens.  No reason with that rotation the Mets shouldn't be contending for the next 4-5 years.

The rotation will be fine. I'm not worried about the franchise, we'll be fine too. The nice little secret about the Mets is that we have a bunch of really good young offensive players coming up over the next two three years. 

But the hitch with that is it leaves the Mets with some really big decisions. Do you sacrifice getting Nimmo and Herrera the experience that young guys need in order to chase another one with Ces and Murph? Had they played great in the WS and we won, I'd say yeah. But now I dunno. What I saw this year, I want that sustained for another several years. To do that we need to be more reliant on our farm system, which is very good and clearly firing out some A players. But the trade off is that we'd be sacrificing some veteran hitters for the next two years that could help get us back. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, gotta remember how close we were in all but one of these World Series games, even with Cespedes off his game.  Imagine if he's on?

I don't know if we have the money to keep him, but what I DO know is that if we find it, that means our pitching staff and prospect crop will be relatively intact.  That will likely not be the case if we lose him, then have to go out and trade for someone else.  Why do that to ourselves if it can be avoided?

Agreed.  But dont get excited.  This wasnt hard to convince me of.  haha

Yeah, T0m, who the **** does that?

There were crazy stats from this series, like KC only leading 13 innings compared to the Mets leading for 24 innings with 16 innings tied.  The big difference were the bullpens. KC's pen had a 1.90 ERA, 30 K and 4 BB while the Mets had a 4.22 with 13 K and 8 BB. The late game walks killed the Mets.

Unreal!!!! 

The rotation will be fine. I'm not worried about the franchise, we'll be fine too. The nice little secret about the Mets is that we have a bunch of really good young offensive players coming up over the next two three years. 

But the hitch with that is it leaves the Mets with some really big decisions. Do you sacrifice getting Nimmo and Herrera the experience that young guys need in order to chase another one with Ces and Murph? Had they played great in the WS and we won, I'd say yeah. But now I dunno. What I saw this year, I want that sustained for another several years. To do that we need to be more reliant on our farm system, which is very good and clearly firing out some A players. But the trade off is that we'd be sacrificing some veteran hitters for the next two years that could help get us back. 

I"m not the GM.  But what is Cespedes looking for?

Not one of those huge long term contracts works out.  Maybe a Mike Trout, cause he was 24 when he signed it.  It's why I hope the Yanks don't sign anyone other than maybe another bullpen arm.

I"m not the GM.  But what is Cespedes looking for?

Not one of those huge long term contracts works out.  Maybe a Mike Trout, cause he was 24 when he signed it.  It's why I hope the Yanks don't sign anyone other than maybe another bullpen arm.

It's not the money, it's the time. The problem is Granderson is playing right for another 2 years, Conforto is the full time left fielder barring something bad. That only leaves center for Nimmo, which is his natural position anyways. Keeping Ces means we either teach Nimmo another position or trade him. And considering the postseason Yo had and his age, I just don't know. The Mets have put a ton of work and time into Nimmo, and with how inconsistent Ces is I am not sure it's worth it. 

If I had to guess I don't think Cespedas is Sandy Alderson's favorite. My guess is he won't seriously entertain the idea of bringing him back. It's free agency and everyone will be overpaid, I don't think he'll want to use whatever money the Wilpons give him on an inconsistent player. As good as he was for the Mets, look at the back of his baseball card, he's never been that good. I personally would prefer a player who is maybe not as good as Cespedas when Cespedas is at his best, but is more consistent from start to finish.

It's not the money, it's the time. The problem is Granderson is playing right for another 2 years, Conforto is the full time left fielder barring something bad. That only leaves center for Nimmo, which is his natural position anyways. Keeping Ces means we either teach Nimmo another position or trade him. And considering the postseason Yo had and his age, I just don't know. The Mets have put a ton of work and time into Nimmo, and with how inconsistent Ces is I am not sure it's worth it. 

Jeez, forgot about Nimmo entirely.  I suck at this.

Was Kevin Pawlecki  on post season roster? I ask because Travis d'Arnaud had a lot of trouble in the run game. Hows Pawlecki throwing runners out?

d'Arnaud will be the guy in the future. He does a very good job framing pitches, as well as calling games. he needs to work on blocking balls and his throwing. He has actually regressed in those areas.

POP time is something that you can work on and improve in an off season. It is leg work and coming out of the chute.

Jeez, forgot about Nimmo entirely.  I suck at this.

I saw him play a couple times down in St Lucie (parents live about 40 minutes away so we're down there quite a bit now.) The kid really is legit. I don't know if he'll be great, or if he's as good as Conforto, but he's definitely legit. I think if the Mets had not been in a pennant race (and had he not gotten hurt again obviously) they would have called him up in August or so. He's ready.

I saw him play a couple times down in St Lucie (parents live about 40 minutes away so we're down there quite a bit now.) The kid really is legit. I don't know if he'll be great, or if he's as good as Conforto, but he's definitely legit. I think if the Mets had not been in a pennant race (and had he not gotten hurt again obviously) they would have called him up in August or so. He's ready.

I would be surprised to see Nimmo next year. He is raw and unlike Conforto, did not play College ball. They probably want to have Nimmo get a full year of AAA, unless there is an injury next year.

Nimmo is very different player than Conforto. He is an on base machine that will have some expandable power. But more gap power translating to extra bases. He should fill out more eventually to be more of a HR hitter. But not Conforto.

The kid grew up in Wyoming, so his exposure to baseball had been limited. Would think that next September they look to mix him in, and then see what he can dpo

There wasn't a person out there that wasn't screaming to let Harvey go out there for the 9th.

And it's easy to blame this on an error, but the truth of the matter is that Hosmer made a heads up play because the Royals scouted Duda and knew he wouldn't be able to make that throw. To have the presence of mind in that situation to pull that move deserves a lot of credit.

I don't know if we'll be back here next year. We might take a step back offensively because I don't think we're bringing Ces or Murph back, not just because of them bombing but also because the long term plans look to be Nimmo and Herrera, so it'll take some time to work them in. With Wheeler and Montero back, the pitching will be better, that's for sure. And honestly, the Mets need to spend on a bullpen probably more than they do anything else.

I am bummed and probably will be for a few days. It sucks losing out on finally seeing a championship because we couldn't stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Last week it really looked like karma was on our side, but alas, it was not meant to be. Broken hearted as always, sports are such a mother ****er.

my buddy who pitched against harvey in high school said harvey had to go out there, but after the way he pitched to the first batter collins had to go get him after that. 

I don't blame him one iota for going back there.  It just kills me that TC kept him in there for 1 batter too long.  The walk to Cain handed them a runner in scoring position with how poorly d'Arnaud was back there, and it was time right then to lift him and let him get his ovation.  But Harvey had every right to demand to be left in, and TC made the right decision to let him start the inning.  It just went 1 batter too long.  It happens.  The real problem was exactly what cost us all series; not enough offense and porous defense. 

Harvey didn't deserve that fate.

I agree.  Give Harvey a nice long extension. Feel really bad for how it turned out for him but he can lead my rotation any day.  The extra batter he was left in for just goes down as another Terry head scratcher.

my buddy who pitched against harvey in high school said harvey had to go out there, but after the way he pitched to the first batter collins had to go get him after that. 

Had him pitch out of the stretch too.

Such a shame. If Harvey pulled that off it would have been baseball history right there. Title aside we missed out on seeing something special last night. 

There wasn't a person out there that wasn't screaming to let Harvey go out there for the 9th.

And it's easy to blame this on an error, but the truth of the matter is that Hosmer made a heads up play because the Royals scouted Duda and knew he wouldn't be able to make that throw. To have the presence of mind in that situation to pull that move deserves a lot of credit.

I don't know if we'll be back here next year. We might take a step back offensively because I don't think we're bringing Ces or Murph back, not just because of them bombing but also because the long term plans look to be Nimmo and Herrera, so it'll take some time to work them in. With Wheeler and Montero back, the pitching will be better, that's for sure. And honestly, the Mets need to spend on a bullpen probably more than they do anything else.

I am bummed and probably will be for a few days. It sucks losing out on finally seeing a championship because we couldn't stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Last week it really looked like karma was on our side, but alas, it was not meant to be. Broken hearted as always, sports are such a mother ****er.

Duda's arm wasn't a problem the last two years, just made a bad throw.

See I don't think we were missing any pieces in this run.  But we might be about to.  A lot of people wouldn't mind seeing Cespedes go after the postseason he had, but I'm not one of them.  It's very difficult to replace his kind of talent and without him, we don't really have any legitimacy in the middle of the order.

Murphy will have to go, however.  We saw the best and worst of him this postseason.  He's meant to play in the AL.  With the type of pitching we have we need defense up the middle. 

Not a baseball guy but it seemed like the Mets committed too many errors.

Duda's arm wasn't a problem the last two years, just made a bad throw.

Jayson Stark
Senior Writer, ESPN.com
The Royals' scouting report heading into the World Series was to look for ways to force Lucas Duda & David Wright to make throws in pressure situations. Thought that would come via bunt ... but whatever works!

Not a baseball guy but it seemed like the Mets committed too many errors.

Years from now, baseball fans will look at the score cards and see the Mets committed 6 errors in this series. And unfortunately that won't tell the whole story, because Cespedes' game 1 blunder and Duda's game 5 throw weren't scored as errors, and the impact of those plays cannot be understated.

Duda's was way worse, but it's such bullsh*t that Escobar goes down in the books as hitting an IHP. It was without question an error. I get that it was scored accordingly because of the way they address it in the rule book, but they need to change the language regarding miscommunication.

This just makes no sense to me.  For all the grief Mets fans take from Yankee fans every single year, I can't imagine why someone would ever root for both teams. 

when mets fans rooted hard against the Yankees in 2001 WS just a month after 9/11 that was clear

when mets fans rooted hard against the Yankees in 2001 WS just a month after 9/11 that was clear

I rooted for the Yankees to win all 3 games in NY for the city, and also didn't mind the late-90's Yankees all that much.  GFY.  Had you worn your Royals avatar like you were supposed to I guarantee we would have won this series.

Ok enough with the back and forth- this a Mets thread lets discuss them

Which if any free agent would you want the Mets to resign? 9 Mets are free agents

Colon if he can come back on a 1 year deal?

I think Colon is tricky in that with Wheeler coming back, you are signing him to essentially be the long man out of the bullpen and to spot start. I like Colon a lot, so if you can get him for a reasonable one year deal, I would do it, IF it does not take away from our ability to sign 7th and 8th inning bullpen help.

I think if you can get Murph for a reasonable deal, they should do it. Wright is a huge unknown, and he can play many positions, although none well, so he will get at bats. At a minimum, I would tender him.

I would offer Ces a 3 year $50 million deal, which he would never ever take, but would be nervous as hell going any more years or anymore money than that on him.

I would love t have both Johnson and Uribe back on reasonable deals, even more if Murph is gone.

Colon gives you innings with a young staff that could be key again. Murphy gets  a tender which he probably will not accept looking for a long term deal/

Colon won't be back. The Mets will look to fill those innings with Wheeler (when he is available), Montero, and other young arms. Starting pitcher innings will not be as big a problem for the Mets next year. (with the exception of Matz)

They need to find 7th inning and 8th inning bullpen help. I would look at Blevins again.

Archived