2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

BA released its top prospects the other day, if you discount Matz (who they had #1), two of our top three prospects are shortstops (Rosario and Cecchini). Worth noting they ranked both ahead of Nimmo but I think that was because of the injuries.

Yep.  I'm sure our future is likely secured up the middle, and I doubt we would have been one of the 8 teams drafting a SS in the 1st round last year.  But still.  There was enough talent going in that 1st round to make me unhappy about not having a pick. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another large question that I think most media have been neglecting is what to do with Plawecki. They can't keep him called up if d'Arnoud is the future, because Plawecki needs games. The problem is d'Arnoud is definitely their guy of the future because of his bat, but they need someone that can be reliable for the hypothetical because d'Arnoud seems to be cursed, and that's certainly NOT Recker. I don't think that's fair to Plawecki, the guy is ready to be a full-time catcher somewhere, and if the league knows that then there has to be someone out there that would give up something of fair value in return. 

If I'm Alderson, I'm putting some feelers out in FA to see if I can land a veteran backup on the cheap, and if so float that Plawecki is available, preferably for a good at third or OF prospect.

If would have to be solid deal.  I don't trust d'Arnaud long-term and there's a huge shortage of catchers.  Matt Wieters is about to get a big contract even though he's only played in 101 games in the last 2 seasons, because there's just nothing out there.

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

Catcher Anthony Recker and infielder Wilfredo Tovar have cleared waivers and have been outrighted off the Mets’ 40-man roster. The Mets’ 40-man roster now stands at 38, including the addition of left-handed reliever Josh Smoker.

So the Mets officially gave Daniel Murphy a qualifying offer ($15.8 million for 2016 season) So if a team does sign him it will also cost them a 1st round draft pick.

Why would anyone do that?

He should bet on himself and take the 15.8, the Mets would go crazy if he did. 

He should bet on himself and take the 15.8, the Mets would go crazy if he did. 

No, they tendered the qualifying, so you have to believe they are prepared for him to accept it (though, no one ever has in the history of qualified offers).

Hey if the Mets keep Murphy,m we get another year to develop Herrerra, and have back-up for Wright.

Win/win either way in my book

So the Mets officially gave Daniel Murphy a qualifying offer ($15.8 million for 2016 season) So if a team does sign him it will also cost them a 1st round draft pick.

Why would anyone do that?

Did you watch him in the NLDS and NLCS?  Are you aware the Orioles are losing Chris Davis?  Lefty power bats don't just grow on trees.  He's about to get paid.

Did you watch him in the NLDS and NLCS?  Are you aware the Orioles are losing Chris Davis?  Lefty power bats don't just grow on trees.  He's about to get paid.

Are we talking about the same player? Since when is Daniel Murphy "a lefty power bat"? Chris Davis, who hit 33, 53, 26, 47  home runs in each of the last 4 seasons.  Murphy has never hit 15 in a season. Derek Jeter hit 15 or more 9 times, was he a righty power bat? I watched the NLDS and NLCS and I saw a player who played well beyond his baseball card. I also watched him in the WS, which was a better look at who he actually is. A smart team ignores everything he did in October. He's Martin Prado with poorer defense.

No, they tendered the qualifying, so you have to believe they are prepared for him to accept it (though, no one ever has in the history of qualified offers).

Hey if the Mets keep Murphy,m we get another year to develop Herrerra, and have back-up for Wright.

Win/win either way in my book

I agree, but I would certainly prefer the draft pick and spend the $15m elsewhere

I agree, but I would certainly prefer the draft pick and spend the $15m elsewhere

And that is what the Mets will most likely get to do.

Perhaps you were to busy measuring decibel levels in the bar, or trolling this thread to get Green Jets and Hamesque type responses during the WS, but while you were doing that you missed Murphy who has the best contact rate in the game, display gap to gap power. Perhaps you also missed how the Royals used that approach to beat the Mets. 

Young Yankee fanboy, sometimes it is good to copy a champion, in this case getting contact players who display smart at bats, in this bastion of strikeout malaise that is current mlb offense. The fact that strikeouts have gone up the last 10 years may tell you in this age of less scoring, CONTACT and ability to know a zone is the new ilk of valuable baseball players.

Just maybe.

And that is what the Mets will most likely get to do.

Perhaps you were to busy measuring decibel levels in the bar, or trolling this thread to get Green Jets and Hamesque type responses during the WS, but while you were doing that you missed Murphy who has the best contact rate in the game, display gap to gap power. Perhaps you also missed how the Royals used that approach to beat the Mets. 

Young Yankee fanboy, sometimes it is good to copy a champion, in this case getting contact players who display smart at bats, in this bastion of strikeout malaise that is current mlb offense. The fact that strikeouts have gone up the last 10 years may tell you in this age of less scoring, CONTACT and ability to know a zone is the new ilk of valuable baseball players.

Just maybe.

cant even agree with you without you taking shots.. whatever man I don't have the energy tonight

If would have to be solid deal.  I don't trust d'Arnaud long-term and there's a huge shortage of catchers.  Matt Wieters is about to get a big contract even though he's only played in 101 games in the last 2 seasons, because there's just nothing out there.

I think d'Arnaud is going to be fine. Those were two freak injuries he had this year (a Posey tag and getting hit on the hand), not lingering injuries from past stuff.

...or trolling this thread to get Green Jets and Hamesque type responses during the WS...

Don't compare me to Ham, dude. Ham wasn't provoked, I was. Ham sent really creepy messages privately, I did not. Ham did what he did because a guy was saying mean things about Sarah Palin. That's not what was said to me.

Look, here's the deal. I really don't care if anyone thinks I'm a nutjob, or thinks I'm some sort of closet psychopath for losing it on that jagoff. In 15 years of posting on JI and this board, I have lost it on a total of three people. Twice for dudes bringing my family into a discussion in a derogatory manner, and one for taking a blatantly racist and very personal shot at my religion. I don't give a sh*t if this is the Internet. I'm consistent across the board with how I am here and in real life, this is 100% the person I am, and any stranger who brings those two topics into a situation gets the same treatment. If that makes me a loon, so be it, but there are lines when it comes to the sh*t you do or don't say to someone. If you cross them, be prepared to deal with repercussions because you don't know who the hell you are talking to.

Bottom line, next time you're in an argument with a guy you don't know, start mentioning sh*t about his wife. See how well that goes over for you. Oh, and make sure you do it when he's already heated about something else.

That's pretty much the last thing I have to say about this. Also, I'd appreciate it if the regulars who post in this thread would let it go already. I'm still not cool with what happened, and all this does is encourage that idiot to keep trolling this thread, which as you can see, he still is.

Are we talking about the same player? Since when is Daniel Murphy "a lefty power bat"? Chris Davis, who hit 33, 53, 26, 47  home runs in each of the last 4 seasons.  Murphy has never hit 15 in a season. Derek Jeter hit 15 or more 9 times, was he a righty power bat? I watched the NLDS and NLCS and I saw a player who played well beyond his baseball card. I also watched him in the WS, which was a better look at who he actually is. A smart team ignores everything he did in October. He's Martin Prado with poorer defense.

meh....Chase Headley received a multi year deal based on a career where he put up good HR numbers once. Some AL team like the Angels may consider him the perfect DH type bat that can back-up multiple infield positions.

If not, the Mets rightfully rewarded him for giving the team and fan base an amazing run. A few months where they took over the city Baseball wise. 

The money is a win for Murphy if he takes it. If he stays or leaves it is a win for the Mets.

Pablo Sandoval got $95 million, why wouldn't Murphy get paid?  Murphy and Sandoval are fairly similar players.

The Rockies have considered the possibility of signing Daniel Murphy to play first base, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. The Mets did, of course, extend Murphy a qualifying offer. The Rockies’ top pick — fourth overall — is protected, although they would have to give up their Comp Round A pick he rejects the qualifying offer and they sign him.

Called O'Day last week. I think he should be the Mets #1 priority for the offseason. And I'm all in on Parra, the guy can play all three outfield positions, shouldn't be hard at all to find him playing time even if they bring Nimmo up.

I'm a big Fowler guy though. He's a good locker room presence, still fairly young, won't break the bank and would provide some great depth.

As has been the case in recent years, the Mets don't appear to be in the mix for top-shelf talents such as Justin Upton or Jason Heyward, both of whom almost certainly would demand large multiyear deals. Said Alderson: "It's not something we like to do."

However, early indications are that the Mets will target free-agent centerfielder Denard Span, who was not given a qualifying offer after an injury-plagued year with the Nationals. That means if signed, he will not cost his new team a draft pick.

The Mets also have their eye on Gerardo Parra, whom they nearly traded for at last July's trade deadline, and Dexter Fowler. Span, Parra and Fowler appear to be preferred internally over other potential fits in centerfield such as Colby Rasmus and Will Venable.

The club has interest in sidearming righthander Darren O'Day, who is coming off a dominant season for the Orioles in which he posted a 1.53 ERA in 68 appearances.

O'Day, 33, fits a clear need for the Mets, whose shaky bullpen was exposed during the postseason. But he is perhaps the best option in a relatively thin market for back-end arms, meaning he'll command a hefty multiyear deal.

Because the Orioles did not extend him a qualifying offer, the team that signs O'Day won't be required to part with a draft pick, which will make his market even more competitive.

At the very least, the Mets have plans to round out the rest of the bullpen.

Called O'Day last week. I think he should be the Mets #1 priority for the offseason. And I'm all in on Parra, the guy can play all three outfield positions, shouldn't be hard at all to find him playing time even if they bring Nimmo up.

I'm a big Fowler guy though. He's a good locker room presence, still fairly young, won't break the bank and would provide some great depth.

Parra would be the good contact and good defensive player that would be a good fit.

BA released its top prospects the other day, if you discount Matz (who they had #1), two of our top three prospects are shortstops (Rosario and Cecchini). Worth noting they ranked both ahead of Nimmo but I think that was because of the injuries.

Hated the Cecchini pick when they made it, given the dearth of hitting talent in the system.  It was a high-floor/low-ceiling pick (for a HS player).  I'm not generally a fan of middle infielders who don't have either plus power or plus speed, because they're a dime a dozen - unless they happen to be elite defenders (which he is not).

It burns me even more now, considering that the next SS selected after him that year was Corey Seager.

Hated the Cecchini pick when they made it, given the dearth of hitting talent in the system.  It was a high-floor/low-ceiling pick (for a HS player).  I'm not generally a fan of middle infielders who don't have either plus power or plus speed, because they're a dime a dozen - unless they happen to be elite defenders (which he is not).

It burns me even more now, considering that the next SS selected after him that year was Corey Seager.

McCullers too, oy.

My concern with Cecchini is his arm. Very limited in what I've seen from him but it sure does look like he has a water pistol.

My concern with Cecchini is his arm. Very limited in what I've seen from him but it sure does look like he has a water pistol.

I haven't seen much from him, but recall the pre-draft scouting reports rating his arm as either above-average or plus.  In fact, I think that was the thing that he got the most praise for, aside from having a brother who got drafted by the Red Sox.

I haven't seen much from him, but recall the pre-draft scouting reports rating his arm as either above-average or plus.  In fact, I think that was the thing that he got the most praise for, aside from having a brother who got drafted by the Red Sox.

End of the day I think the Mets are all in on Rosario anyways. Supposedly that Venezuelan kid we signed a few years back is turning into a monster, Carpio. BA bumped him up to I think 6th or 7th, which is saying a lot because I think the guy literally just turned 18.

Don't compare me to Ham, dude. Ham wasn't provoked, I was. Ham sent really creepy messages privately, I did not. Ham did what he did because a guy was saying mean things about Sarah Palin. That's not what was said to me.

Look, here's the deal. I really don't care if anyone thinks I'm a nutjob, or thinks I'm some sort of closet psychopath for losing it on that jagoff. In 15 years of posting on JI and this board, I have lost it on a total of three people. Twice for dudes bringing my family into a discussion in a derogatory manner, and one for taking a blatantly racist and very personal shot at my religion. I don't give a sh*t if this is the Internet. I'm consistent across the board with how I am here and in real life, this is 100% the person I am, and any stranger who brings those two topics into a situation gets the same treatment. If that makes me a loon, so be it, but there are lines when it comes to the sh*t you do or don't say to someone. If you cross them, be prepared to deal with repercussions because you don't know who the hell you are talking to.

Bottom line, next time you're in an argument with a guy you don't know, start mentioning sh*t about his wife. See how well that goes over for you. Oh, and make sure you do it when he's already heated about something else.

Star Wars?

My big concern for the Mets is again doing nothing this off season like last year when they made no deals and only signed Cuddyer and John Mayberry Jr. The org doesn't have enough offense as 2015 proved. And if they don't re-sign Murphy and Cespedes and just rely on the minor league org they don't have enough bats to be a contender. I have no problem not bringing back either of those guys but they have to go outside of the org to replace them. I don't expect them to sign big ticket guys but Sandy has to bring in bonafide MLB bats like he did last July. 

Right now the Braves are asking for one of the core four young pitchers from the Mets for shortstop Andrelton Simmons -- Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard or Steven Matz. At some point, maybe the asking price pivots to Atlanta native Zack Wheeler. For now, though, Mets are concentrating on the outfield since Wilmer Flores and Ruben Tejada got them to the World Series.

Right now the Braves are asking for one of the core four young pitchers from the Mets for shortstop Andrelton Simmons -- Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard or Steven Matz. At some point, maybe the asking price pivots to Atlanta native Zack Wheeler. For now, though, Mets are concentrating on the outfield since Wilmer Flores and Ruben Tejada got them to the World Series.

This would make no sense.  Tejada + Flores + multiple highly rated infield prospects.....even if a core 5 pitcher wasn't involved it would be pretty pointless to trade for a middle infielder.

The thing about Murphy is that he's the best pure hitter on the team. As for his 14 Hrs during the regular season and 7 during post season. It could be like some other players he's added power to his game. Maybe just by maturing, getting stronger etc. I won't miss his defense if he leaves. Basically overall he was alright. For the most part he made the plays and sometimes was very good. But at times he was terrible. Like he was playing in a fog when on the field. So if they lose him it's a big loss esp for a team offensively challenged. There is nobody in their org who can make up the kind of offense he brings including.Dilson Herrera. Sandy btw has never been in love with Murph because of his OBP and not getting many walks. So it's my hope they will sign somebody like a Zobrist or even Howie Kendricks to replace Murph if he goes. But I think they will go internal.

The only problem with losing Murphy is that Alderson proved with Cuddyer that he doesn't understand the value of a high draft pick. That's pretty much the only reason I can think of why letting Murphy walk at this price is a bad thing. Paying Murphy 50/4 is like basically setting the new rate for the standard jag contract...  But what do I know. 

The only problem with losing Murphy is that Alderson proved with Cuddyer that he doesn't understand the value of a high draft pick. That's pretty much the only reason I can think of why letting Murphy walk at this price is a bad thing. Paying Murphy 50/4 is like basically setting the new rate for the standard jag contract...  But what do I know. 

The guy that was ready to take mlb to arbitration over a top 10 draft pick for Michael Bourne, does not value high draft picks? What?

One thing that Alderson has proven is that he absolutely values draft picks, and considers the farm system the lifeblood of the organization.

Collins 3rd for Manager of the Year. Pretty much how I thought it would go down. Maddon deserved that award, he completely changed the culture of that organization and took a team of kids to the NLCS. Classy as all hell too. When the Mets won at Wrigley he came back out and started congratulating all the Mets fans that were celebrating.

50/4 isn't a bad deal for the Mets. He's the best pure hitter on the team and Grandy is making 60/4. As for losing the 1st round draft pick for Cuddyer I thought it was worth it even though a calculated risk. Sandy has been hanging onto and emphasizing prospects over the MLB roster for five years. It's about time he tried to get significant players from outside the org even if in Cuddyer's case it didn't work (yet). Maybe the guy will come back and hit .300 in 2016. I'm just afraid he'll go internal for 2nd base (Herrera and Flores) and ignore short. If they again do nothing at the Winter meetings and go into the season with the current team minus Murphy it's a huge mistake. As for Duda. I was on the bandwagon to get rid of the guy. What ruins him are the deep slumps and the reason he gets into them is swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. When he doesn't do that and shows some ability to take the low pitches (which are impossible to hit) he is very productive. And has 30-40 Hr power. I wouldn't get rid of him. In the playoffs and WS he showed a degree of bat control he didn't show most of the season. Maybe Kevin Long has finally gotten through to him. 

50/4 isn't a bad deal for the Mets. He's the best pure hitter on the team and Grandy is making 60/4. As for losing the 1st round draft pick for Cuddyer I thought it was worth it even though a calculated risk. Sandy has been hanging onto and emphasizing prospects over the MLB roster for five years. It's about time he tried to get significant players from outside the org even if in Cuddyer's case it didn't work (yet). Maybe the guy will come back and hit .300 in 2016. I'm just afraid he'll go internal for 2nd base (Herrera and Flores) and ignore short. If they again do nothing at the Winter meetings and go into the season with the current team minus Murphy it's a huge mistake. As for Duda. I was on the bandwagon to get rid of the guy. What ruins him are the deep slumps and the reason he gets into them is swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. When he doesn't do that and shows some ability to take the low pitches (which are impossible to hit) he is very productive. And has 30-40 Hr power. I wouldn't get rid of him. In the playoffs and WS he showed a degree of bat control he didn't show most of the season. Maybe Kevin Long has finally gotten through to him. 

Agree on Cuddyer. At the time that was a huge bat for the Mets sorry offense. It was incredible however to see just how bad he has become defensively in the outfield.

I think we were players on trying to get Simmons from the Braves to play SS but their initial asking price was deGrom...that wasn't happening. Personally I would be fine with a healthy Tejada at SS next season but Sandy seems hard pressed for an upgrade. 

We need one big bat and a very good utility player assuming we lose Murphy and Cespedes. I hope Sandy keeps all five of his potential Ace SP's unless completely overwhelmed by an offer. We will always be competitive with that staff.

My off season wish list:

1.) Big bat w/Cespedes being the preference as he only costs money and not talent while also solving bullet #3 below.

2.) 2B or a super utility player.  Preference is to keep Murphy.

3.) CF upgrade if it makes sense. Not ready to write Lagares off just yet but would be open to an immediate upgrade offensively if we are not in on the Cespedes sweepstakes.

4.) Bullpen and you can't fault Sandy for the WS performance of our pen. He made the right deals but relievers are such an unknown when it comes to performance from one season to the next...even from month to month as Clippard showed us. Think about it...the Mets led in the 8th or 9th inning and actually handed the ball to our closer (albeit in no win situations twice) with the lead in three games and lost all of them.

The difficult part in all of the above is that while we as fans lust for big moves, Sandy has the task of juggling the money so that he can begin to entertain signing his SP's to long term deals while at the same time spending enough to keep the offense Major League competitive.

Archived