Out With Brees Speculation, In With Phillip Rivers Speculation

The Troll

Trade milliner. The 6th pick and next years 2nd rounder to move up to #2.

Trade back with SD give them #2 and Mariotta. While we get Rivers and SD 2nd rounder.

Boom. Lock it up. GM of the year.

Ha.  Do you really think Ruston Webster and Ken Whisenhunt would give us the #2 pick for Milliner, #6 and next year's (or this year's) 2nd rounder?  That would be shockingly stupid.  But you get an A+ for creativity!   :)

Edit: Using the draft value chart, there's a 1,000 point differential between #2 and #6.  Next year's #2 is equivalent to this year's #3 (so they say), so that would be worth 240 points.  that makes Milliner's value in this mythical deal 760 points, the equivalent of pick #23 in round 1.  Swing and a miss. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport intimates the Chargers have left open the possibility of trading Philip Rivers.
The Chargers have made it clear they don't want to trade Rivers. "But what I have not heard, is we willnot trade Rivers," were the words of Rapsheet onPath to the Draft. It may seem like a stretch, but general managers deal in this sort of doublespeak all the time. It's possible Tom Telesco has deliberately left himself some wiggle room in the event his franchise signal caller is shipped out. Although it's hard to picture Rivers in another uniform, his public comments on his Chargers future were far more direct than we're used to hearing from players. Mar 24 - 6:15 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it would take "multiple first-round picks" for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers.
Rapsheet's report is via ""several sources with the Chargers." Rapsheet emphasizes that the team doesn't want to trade Rivers, but that it hasn't explicitly said he won't be dealt. The Bolts recently approached Rivers about an extension, but were rebuffed. Rivers is on public record as wanting to play out his deal, and says there's "nothing" that could change his mind. Multiple first-rounders would indeed be the going rate for a quarterback of Rivers' ilk, even at age 33. Mar 24 - 6:55 PM

I'd be all for landing Rivers, but for multiple first-rounders? I dunno. Those firsts could potentially be our long-term franchise QB. Could Rivers even be a short-term franchise QB?

I would take a shot at Rivers and trade a few picks. Rivers is way better than anyone in the draft and with him we wouldn't be picking in the top 6 and shouldn't have a shot at a top QB in the draft for the next couple of years. If our team stays relatively healthy and adds Rivers then we are a playoff team and with a dangerous defense we are 1 or 2 games away for challenging for the AFC championship.

Yes I think big!

I would take a shot at Rivers and trade a few picks. Rivers is way better than anyone in the draft and with him we wouldn't be picking in the top 6 and shouldn't have a shot at a top QB in the draft for the next couple of years. If our team stays relatively healthy and adds Rivers then we are a playoff team and with a dangerous defense we are 1 or 2 games away for challenging for the AFC championship.

Yes I think big!

While I admit that does sound appealing, and I would love every minute of it if it came true, I'm trying to stay realistic. Rivers only took the Chargers to the AFC Championship once and lost. Now, I don't pay as much attention to other teams as I should. But, does the blame of their playoff troubles fall on Rivers solely, or does the coach and remaining team have the blame. While I'm aware that he is an upper-echelon QB with tremendous stats, I'm still unconvinced that he could be "the guy" for his for an extended period of time. Those draft picks could be mighty useful if Geno continues to suck and Fitz serves no more than a mediocre stop-gap.

On the other hand, this team DID go to back-to-back AFCC games with Mark ******* Sanchez and I'd wager that Rivers could've gotten us to the Superbowl at least. So, maybe...?

Ah, well, it probably doesn't matter anyway. I doubt he leaves SD. Probably just smoke.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport intimates the Chargers have left open the possibility of trading Philip Rivers.

The Chargers have made it clear they don't want to trade Rivers. "But what I have not heard, is we willnot trade Rivers," were the words of Rapsheet onPath to the Draft. It may seem like a stretch, but general managers deal in this sort of doublespeak all the time. It's possible Tom Telesco has deliberately left himself some wiggle room in the event his franchise signal caller is shipped out. Although it's hard to picture Rivers in another uniform, his public comments on his Chargers future were far more direct than we're used to hearing from players. Mar 24 - 6:15 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it would take "multiple first-round picks" for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers.

Rapsheet's report is via ""several sources with the Chargers." Rapsheet emphasizes that the team doesn't want to trade Rivers, but that it hasn't explicitly said he won't be dealt. The Bolts recently approached Rivers about an extension, but were rebuffed. Rivers is on public record as wanting to play out his deal, and says there's "nothing" that could change his mind. Multiple first-rounders would indeed be the going rate for a quarterback of Rivers' ilk, even at age 33. Mar 24 - 6:55 PM

The Jets need to make this happen.

No Dupree sucks, sure, but I am willing to settle for Rivers and Gregory at the top of the second or third, whatever they keep.

The Jets need to make this happen.

No Dupree sucks, sure, but I am willing to settle for Rivers and Gregory at the top of the second or third, whatever they keep.

It's an understandable sticker shock (a pair of 1st rounders, especially while we're holding #6 overall). A lot of it is the idea of every 1st rounder imagined as a sure thing superstar (especially a prospect who one imagines racking up about a sack a game for the next decade).

But then consider Rivers already is that type/level player, at a far more important position than whatever we're likely to add with a couple of round 1 picks. Sure his future is shorter, but it is also more assured than any 1 draftee.

Also I wonder if this unofficial pricetag might be less somewhat less for us since we pick so high; the #6 pick plus next year's 1 isn't the same as someone else's #20-something pick plus next year's 1. Then again, for the latter team, it might be 2 #1s and more. SD is surely going to ERFA tag Rivers after the season if they can't re-sign him, so there's really no waiting out his contract.

If I had one complaint about our FA period (even more than the Harris deal) it's that we have a right-now winner with a conspicuous absence at the 1 position you can't win without. Fitzpatrick is fine in spurts, but he's more of an ideal stopgap than an ideal solution. The team has a great 3-year window ahead of it (not even counting who else we add in the draft and who we re-sign for longer), and Rivers should have 3 pro bowl years left in him. At least 2, with 2 more where he's certainly adequate enough at worst.

I don't like trading away high draft picks for veterans just as a general rule. But the team is uniquely constructed right now and any Jets fan knows how long the wait can be for a franchise QB to materialize. Just for starters, one has to be available to us in the first place.

The only other obvious absent piece is an upgraded pass rusher (situational pass rusher at a minimum). Everything else is good enough to win with right now, and finding other upgrades/augments (guard, RT, RB, another OLB) would just be gravy.

There are plenty of superbowl winners who had more holes (including more significant holes) than the 2015 Jets + Rivers + our remaining draft picks.

Ah, I should forget it. It's not going to happen.

Ruined?  No.  We got some good players.  Market value for some, overpayed others but that's how FA works...its a bidding war.  "Destroyed" meant pulverized, pummeled, crushed, etc.  Its in reference to the speed in which the cap was dissolved, not the value or lack thereof of the players or their contracts.  Sort of like a house of cards or dominoes that take hours to build but but topple in seconds.  Or standing on line at Disney for two hours only to ride the rollercoaster for 45 seconds.   

Ruined?  No.  We got some good players.  Market value for some, overpayed others but that's how FA works...its a bidding war.  "Destroyed" meant pulverized, pummeled, crushed, etc.  Its in reference to the speed in which the cap was dissolved, not the value or lack thereof of the players or their contracts.  Sort of like a house of cards or dominoes that take hours to build but but topple in seconds.  Or standing on line at Disney for two hours only to ride the rollercoaster for 45 seconds.   

Oh, it sounded like a complaint.

While I admit that does sound appealing, and I would love every minute of it if it came true, I'm trying to stay realistic. Rivers only took the Chargers to the AFC Championship once and lost.

So your saying Mark Sanchez is twice as good as Rivers?  :)

The Chargers are reportedly sweet on Mariota and have scheduled a private workout with him. Rivers' contract is coming to end after the season. While I don't personally like Rivers, hate him, in fact, he would be a massive upgrade at the QB position and instantly make the Jets a legitimate contender. The biggest obstacle to this scenario would be the Titans, who hold the number two pick and a coach with a massive Rivers boner.

They can have him. I don't like Rivers. I don't think he is ever going to go to the SB unless he buys a ticket. Has had some very good SD teams and STILL couldn't get past Denver, NE, Baltimore or Pittsburgh in playoffs. Rivers is pure and simple a stats QB who builds great numbers against weak sister teams and early in the season. Good QB but NOT great. No wonder they want Mariota.

If the chargers want two firsts for a Rivers you give it to them and then give Rivers a $100 million contract.

1. Rivers makes us a legit SB contender

2. Rivers is 33 but is a drop back qb who probably has another 5-6 years left at a high level.

3. We're not getting a franchise qb in this draft

If the chargers want two firsts for a Rivers you give it to them and then give Rivers a $100 million contract.

1. Rivers makes us a legit SB contender

2. Rivers is 33 but is a drop back qb who probably has another 5-6 years left at a high level.

3. We're not getting a franchise qb in this draft

Go back to Detroit. Rivers is NOT a SB caliber QB. Jets beat him in 2010 with Mark Sanchez at QB. 'Nuff said.

Look at it this way. The Jets beat SD with Mark Sanchez at QB. I think that says it all about Rivers.

Go back to Detroit. Rivers is NOT a SB caliber QB. Jets beat him in 2010 with Mark Sanchez at QB. 'Nuff said.

This is so incredibly short sighted and reactionary. Rivers 100% makes us an SB contender. Not saying there's any chance in hell he'd be ok with uprooting his country farm family and bringing them to the greatest city in the world, but he's absolutely a top 10 QB. With what I think our D will be, and with the weapons we'll have on offense, we would absolutely challenge for the division, and possibly conference title. 

Multiple 1st round picks for a close to 34 year old QB. I don't even know why this is being entertained or discussed here. I wouldn't even give up ONE 1st round pick for him. We could have gotten Peyton "for free" when the Colts cut him loose. Yes, he was older, but also twice the QB. I'd probably give up a 2nd for Rivers. He'll still have to be paid like a top 5 QB on top of it...

Multiple 1st round picks for a close to 34 year old QB. I don't even know why this is being entertained or discussed here. I wouldn't even give up ONE 1st round pick for him. We could have gotten Peyton "for free" when the Colts cut him loose. Yes, he was older, but also twice the QB. I'd probably give up a 2nd for Rivers. He'll still have to be paid like a top 5 QB on top of it...

We have officially entered the jet fan poster vortex. Jake Locker and Matt Moore are good but Rivers sucks.

Shirley you're not for cereal...

I'm in the vortex with you right no we're going over how Phillip Rivers would hurt this team.

Who said that? What are you even talking about? Let me correct myself: You're probably closer to 15 or 20. You're nuts. Rivers is good. He's not multiple first round picks good, especially at age 34. With a new, huge contract. No. Just no. Don't think for a second that the Chargers wouldn't take this offer and run with it if anybody was actually crazy enough to offer them that much. His contract is running up. You'd have to be absolutely stupid to give up your future for a guy who's about to hit free agency anyway. At age 34. Give me a break. I'd love to have him here, he'd make this team a contender. But there's no way in hell I'd pay the Chargers multiple 1st round picks for him.

Archived