Out With Brees Speculation, In With Phillip Rivers Speculation

The Troll

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh boy

his salary is $15,750,000

jets can't afford the chargers long snapper without trading harris, wilkerson or marshall as part of the deal

as in 2 of those guys

plus harvard, lololol

A deal for Rivers would probably include a contract restructure, turning salary into bonus, to lower his cap hit for this year, there wouldn't be any issue financially I a move for Rivers.

I'd prefer Geno to win the job over a 32 year old journeyman on his 6th NFL team.

I'd prefer Rivers, who may in fact be available, over either.

the jets have $5 million in cap room and need $3 million for the rookies and $5 million for in season flexibility.  the only way to get rivers is to trade wilkerson and harris or wilkerson and marshall 

and he's a choker

no thanks

A deal for Rivers would probably include a contract restructure, turning salary into bonus, to lower his cap hit for this year, there wouldn't be any issue financially I a move for Rivers.

he will be redone like big ben.  brees was 3 days away form being a free agent before he was redone if I'm not mistaken

this is all just leveraging

They are not trading Marshall if they are getting a QB. Trading Wilkerson would not be the best thing for this team but they just might have to because we are soon going to find out that overpaid Harris is immovable.

Those Cro and Harris overpaid deals are going end up biting us.

So assuming Rivers is available its either Mo Wilk or Philip Rivers.

if you look at jason page there are only 3 players the jets can trade away to make room for a QB without having a ton of dead money on the cap

the jets would have to include 2 of the players to make room for a QB salary

its not wilk or rivers its wilk and marshall or rivers  or wilkerson and harris or rivers

the jets have $5 million in cap room and need $3 million for the rookies and $5 million for in season flexibility.  the only way to get rivers is to trade wilkerson and harris or wilkerson and marshall 

and he's a choker

no thanks

Not sure where you get $5 million in cap room from. Haven't seen it reported that low anywhere.

Also, you bash Rivers for being a choker while simultaneously blowing a QB that has never won more than six games in a season.

and he's a choker

no thanks

Cap room is pretty easy to manufacture.  Some of the deals that have been reported can easily be monkeyed to create more space.  What "in season flexibility" is required?  Is a legit starting QB coming available during the season? 

Cap room is pretty easy to manufacture.  Some of the deals that have been reported can easily be monkeyed to create more space.  What "in season flexibility" is required?  Is a legit starting QB coming available during the season? 

injuries

squeezing $15 million into a $5 million dollar sack is tough even for tanny

Not sure where you get $5 million in cap room from. Haven't seen it reported that low anywhere.

Also, you bash Rivers for being a choker while simultaneously blowing a QB that has never won more than six games in a season.

I'm the sh*t

- Tanner Purdum signed a 2 year / $1,810,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $265,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $905,000.

- Antonio Cromartie signed a 4 year / $32,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $8,000,000.

- Marcus Gilchrist signed a 4 year / $22,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $10,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $5,500,000.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

do the math

fun time is over

He's got us at $19 mil before those signings. Depending on how those contracts are structured, we could have anywhere from $0 to $12 mil in cap room left.

it's hard to say exactly, but no matter how you slice it, the fun is over, there is no way to get a franchise QB in here without sending players back.  the jets can't get it done with picks and a cap trickeration

rivers isn't available anyway

They are not trading Marshall if they are getting a QB. Trading Wilkerson would not be the best thing for this team but they just might have to because we are soon going to find out that overpaid Harris is immovable.

Those Cro and Harris overpaid deals are going end up biting us.

So assuming Rivers is available its either Mo Wilk or Philip Rivers.

if this is true you have to do the deal. rivers is a franchise level qb and has at least 5 good years left. wilk is good, but he's a d-lineman

it's hard to say exactly, but no matter how you slice it, the fun is over, there is no way to get a franchise QB in here without sending players back.  the jets can't get it done with picks and a cap trickeration

rivers isn't available anyway

There most certainly is a way to get $15M in there.  If this guy does not have the flexibility to get a QB in here he should be fired right now.  Rivers probably isn't available, but if they want a $15-20M QB they should be able to fit one in by moving some money around.

You're still alive, hey?

Money is not going to be the obstacle to getting Rivers.  Jets can easily restructure contracts as already mentioned.

The issue will be whether he's available and whether the Jets can trade for him.

The 49ers took another hit today.  I have no idea if that affects how they view keeping Kaepernick but potentially maybe they'll think they need to rebuild (and thus be willing to trade him).

I'm almost fine w/ drafting MM at this point though.  I've heard people say he's a better version of Kaepernick.  The only reason I would want Kaepernick is that he doesn't need a year or two on the bench plus a year or two of playing time before he's developed.  I could be wrong but it feels like we have probably a 2-3 year window w/ the defense we've got before we're in salary cap trouble.  While I would love to groom a quality young QB (which is really the best way to build a winner), we have an opportunity right now.

Don't get me wrong I'd take Rivers on this team in a heartbeat if it were possible.

Part of the challenge is that Maccagnan has built this team with the assumption of no QB taking up a HUGE chunk of cap space.

You'd have to give up a big cap-eater that they'd want.  Like Wilkerson with a new deal.  But Rivers will turn 34 this season.  Is it just assumed QBs are going to play till their 40 nowadays?

Anyone who says they wouldn't take Rivers for whatever reason needs to just stop rooting for this team immediately. Your opinions aren't valid anymore

Pretty much.  Whatever it took you have to get it done.  No player on the team right now would make us more likely to be very competitive this year.  

the jets have $5 million in cap room and need $3 million for the rookies and $5 million for in season flexibility. the only way to get rivers is to trade wilkerson and harris or wilkerson and marshall

and he's a choker

no thanks

So if Rivers is a choker what does that make Mark Sanchez? A winner?

This is what I hate about sports fans pigeon-holing players as chokers. Eventually the Peyton Mannings and Arods are going to win in the clutch even if they failed in the past. It's law of averages.

I just don't see this happening.

Rivers might tell the Chargers "trade me to NY and I'll retire"

Just don't see this guy uprooting his family.

Rivers is going nowhere. This whole thing is a contract negotiation. Rivers sees The money Flacco and Wilson are getting and wants the same type of deal and he knows the chargers have no leverage. So the chargers put out some bs story about wanting mariota over rivers which they would be retarded if that was true.

He's younger than Brees (Rivers is 33, Brees 36).  Obviously the concern is him going from San Diego to NY, but then again, Brees is a dome guy.  I can't imagine the Chargers giving him a massive deal OR franchising him.  So this would make a lot of sense.

Rivers DVOA rank since 2006:

2006:  6th

2007:  20th

2008:  1st

2009:  1st

2010:  3rd

2011:  8th

2012:  22nd

2013:  3rd

2014:  10th

Conclusion:  He's a top 10 QB with several effective years left.  If he's available you make the deal for the 6th pick without question.

Archived