Namath: Jets Should Take Mariota

AFJF

From Kristian Dyer

http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/joe-namath-says-jets-should-select-marcus-mariota-in-2015-nfl-draft/zsJocx---3aBRpcK1ORnEM/

There hasn't been a franchise quarterback for the New York Jets since Joe Namath left the team in 1976. Namath is hoping that will change this year.

Now 39 years after Broadway Joe left the team, he thinks it is about time for the team to finally draft that franchise-changing QB. And with the No. 6 overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft, Namath thinks the Jets could and should draft that big-time quarterback if one is still available.

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will likely be off the board at that point and could well go No. 1 overall. But Marcus Mariota, the Heisman and Maxwell Award winner after a record-setting year at Oregon in 2014, could fall to the Jets. He's a popular selection for most mock drafts at No. 6, for what that's worth.

And if he does make it through the first five picks, Namath would be licking his chops for general manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles to make Mariota the first pick of their new regime. Mariota would join a suddenly crowded (and deeper) quarterback depth chart with incumbent starter Geno Smith and recently acquired Ryan Fitzpatrick in the mix.

“Yeah I would take him. I would take him,” Namath told Metro in an exclusive interview. “I don't believe he's going to be sitting there. I don't. But yeah, I would take him because he might be the best of the three.”

The concern with Mariota is not about pure talent – he is supremely gifted and can make nearly all the throws an NFL team would like. The concern is not about his production – he shattered passing records at Oregon. The concern is his acclimation to a pro style offense.

At Oregon, and in the spread, he made a lot of first-read throws. He will need a learning curve and the Jets, with either Fitzpatrick or Smith capable of starting, could be a good fit.

Mariota wouldn't come in with the immediate pressure to start and could sit and learn if he isn't ready to play immediately. This means that the Jets could be an ideal landing spot, especially with veteran wide receivers such as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker as potential targets.

Namath wasn't prepared to sit down and say that Mariota was immediately ready to start, but he likes what he sees.

“You’ve got to sit down and look at every bit of tape,” Namath said. “I don't know how many of us fans have actually seen Mariota run 900 plays and how he's reacted in various situations. I don't know if any of us know the plays called ahead of time for the quarterback that weren't good calls. “But there's no doubt that the kid can play.”

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen to Broadway Joe.

He's never wrong.  He called Super Bowl III when others thought he was crazy.  He called the demise of Rex Ryan before anyone else did.

Draft Mariotta.  In fact, draft any potential franchise quarterback because we're not going anywhere until we find one.

SAR I

Listen to Broadway Joe.

He's never wrong.  He called Super Bowl III when others thought he was crazy.  He called the demise of Rex Ryan before anyone else did.

Draft Mariotta.  In fact, draft any potential franchise quarterback because we're not going anywhere until we find one.

SAR I

Agree if Mariota is there at 6 we should take him unless a team offers us a starting QB and some picks. I was hoping for Foles but that seems a done deal and I think he's really the only QB I would have liked in a trade due to his age and prior success.. I think Mariota is going to be a fantastic QB

Did he fall off the wagon again?

Maybe

He's been a real drag since he's been sober

This Bullsh!t about Joe being a drunk is old freakin news and has been for years ...its really not funny anymore and its beginning to get stupid. This guy was one of the only good things this freakin franchise ever had and the Idiot fans consistently make fun of the guy and he always seems to be right on the money. Please just stop already/

After all the moves, I wouldn't mind drafting him with the 6th pick if he's there.  I'm not high on him and don't think he is a starter right away but if he can sit for a year or two, I think it would be a good move. 

The titans and eagles are talking trade as I post this. 0 shot at us getting Mariota and thank God. Unless Mariota plays in the Oregon offense he will suck.

We have better picks and defensive depth, we can offer the Titans more than the Eagles can if we truly want the guy.

SAR I

We have better picks and defensive depth, we can offer the Titans more than the Eagles can if we truly want the guy.

SAR I

Mariota would be such a bust here. Let him go throw screens tag passes in philly that's the only way he succeeds in the nfl.

I'm so scared and torn and I just dont know what I want but I just have this disgusting feeling that if they pass on him, he will become a HOF'er.  Why?  Because its the Jets.

Agreed...I hope he goes 2nd.

This Bullsh!t about Joe being a drunk is old freakin news and has been for years ...its really not funny anymore and its beginning to get stupid. This guy was one of the only good things this freakin franchise ever had and the Idiot fans consistently make fun of the guy and he always seems to be right on the money. Please just stop already/

Thank you....

As I have said on many occasions Jets fan are some of the most self destructive fans in the league. Jets fan will trash anyone who puts on the Jet uniform. And it doesn't matter how good they were while they were here or how accurate they have been concerning the team's need for certain upgrades.

He's a clown.

Olivia, is that you?

Hope your not still hitting the bong

I have been saying all along that if Mariota is there at six the Jets MUST take him. Maccagnan is smart enough to realize that is the ONE area the Jets have not made up on the Patriots. With Geno the Jets lost BOTH games to NE by a TOTAL of three points. But, even though Rex LOVES him some moral victories I do not. Geno blew one of those games all by himself which is something that Brady would NEVER do. Take a sack with your team in FG range to win the game? Inexcuseable. And it shows why the gap has not been closed and WON'T BE until the Jets have a franchise QB.

Listen to Broadway Joe.

SAR I

THIS.  Line up all the Namath haters...   tell us when he has been wrong.

He was absolutely spot on with Sanchez, REX coddling players etc...

Listen to Broadway Joe.

SAR I

he also diplomatically said geno sucked (paraphrase)

I have been saying all along that if Mariota is there at six the Jets MUST take him. Maccagnan is smart enough to realize that is the ONE area the Jets have not made up on the Patriots. With Geno the Jets lost BOTH games to NE by a TOTAL of three points. But, even though Rex LOVES him some moral victories I do not. Geno blew one of those games all by himself which is something that Brady would NEVER do. Take a sack with your team in FG range to win the game? Inexcuseable. And it shows why the gap has not been closed and WON'T BE until the Jets have a franchise QB.

lol, do you really think if we draft Mariota he will even sniff the field this year?   Geno never should have started his first year and lucked into 8-8.  His second year, we should have started Vick and let Geno sit behind him and be ready to step in at some point in the season.   To compare, Geno at that stage of his career to Brady is laughable!  Yet, did you see the interceptions Brady threw in the Superbowl?  How about Russell Wilsons pick to LOSE the Super Bowl!  I guess he isn't a franchise qb, huh?  I guess if you were a Seattle fan you would want to run him out of town. 

I almost hope we do draft Mariota and when he is ******* up and stinking up the field (as ALL young qbs will do from time to time; especially those who played exclusively in "gimmick" offenses in college) I can't wait to read how we really blew it and should have taken Cooper, Fowler etc, etc.

THIS.  Line up all the Namath haters...   tell us when he has been wrong.

He was absolutely spot on with Sanchez, REX coddling players etc...

he also diplomatically said geno sucked (paraphrase)

Forget the names attached, Joe Namath's thesis, and one that's shared by millions of Jets fans, is that until the franchise quarterback is found this team goes nowhere.

We've had defensive coaches since forever, the last offensive guy we had in here was circa 1996, and all they can do is get us into the playoffs at which point we run into the franchise quarterback who can pick apart our franchise defense and that's the end of another dream.  There is only one way to find your franchise quarterback and that's through the draft, so saying we're going to take our first or second rounder and draft "best player available" or another defensive lineman isn't a good strategy.  Find the franchise quarterback first, then build around him.  Building everything else as a priority and hoping you can win doesn't work.  Best it can get you is to the AFC Championship Game where you run into John Elway or Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger who beat you singlehandedly.

This isn't rocket science.  But the way the Jets have been acting, the quarterback doesn't matter at all.  Testaverde and Favre were old has-beens who could only be depended on 10 weeks a year, Pennington was only taken because we had 4 first round picks and he had a weak injured arm, Sanchez was only taken because we didn't have a warm body at the position and we did nothing to support him.  Namath is saying its time we took the quarterback position seriously.  He's 100% correct.

SAR I

I respect Joe Namath's opinion, and respectfully disagree.

I don't think Mariota is a Franchise QB now, or ever.

I think he lacks in a number of places, from pure passing ability/arm at an NFL level, to his huge lack of experience in an NFL-like Offense.

I think he is simply over-hyped and over-valued in a weak QB pool draft year, and thus benefits more than his talent and potential warrant.

I pass.  Or better yet, I trade the pick if he falls to us, and gather additional picks to continue rebuilding the talent of this franchise.

Bold Wild Crazy Prediction:  The Jets Starting QB in 2015 will have a superior performance year to any year Mariota ever plays in the NFL. :winking0001:

P.S. Be mindful of agreeing too hard with the same folks who thought Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith were the next HOF'er must-draft guys.....

Forget the names attached, Joe Namath's thesis, and one that's shared by millions of Jets fans, is that until the franchise quarterback is found this team goes nowhere.

We've had defensive coaches since forever, the last offensive guy we had in here was circa 1996, and all they can do is get us into the playoffs at which point we run into the franchise quarterback who can pick apart our franchise defense and that's the end of another dream.  There is only one way to find your franchise quarterback and that's through the draft, so saying we're going to take our first or second rounder and draft "best player available" or another defensive lineman isn't a good strategy.  Find the franchise quarterback first, then build around him.  Building everything else as a priority and hoping you can win doesn't work.  Best it can get you is to the AFC Championship Game where you run into John Elway or Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger who beat you singlehandedly.

This isn't rocket science.  But the way the Jets have been acting, the quarterback doesn't matter at all.  Testaverde and Favre were old has-beens who could only be depended on 10 weeks a year, Pennington was only taken because we had 4 first round picks and he had a weak injured arm, Sanchez was only taken because we didn't have a warm body at the position and we did nothing to support him.  Namath is saying its time we took the quarterback position seriously.  He's 100% correct.

SAR I

You and I are pretty much aligned. However, I think the one exception is to build a tough as balls O and D line while waiting. Those guys have a long career on average and can greatly assist a young QB when and if he is found.

Archived