Namath: Jets Should Take Mariota

AFJF

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen to Broadway Joe.

He's never wrong.  He called Super Bowl III when others thought he was crazy.  He called the demise of Rex Ryan before anyone else did.

Draft Mariotta.  In fact, draft any potential franchise quarterback because we're not going anywhere until we find one.

SAR I

Ape called that one first, but in general this is an accurate post. 

This Bullsh!t about Joe being a drunk is old freakin news and has been for years ...its really not funny anymore and its beginning to get stupid. This guy was one of the only good things this freakin franchise ever had and the Idiot fans consistently make fun of the guy and he always seems to be right on the money. Please just stop already/

Even piss drunk and half in the grave Joe Namath has more credibility talking about the sport than 99% of the media and 100% of the fans.

You and I are pretty much aligned. However, I think the one exception is to build a tough as balls O and D line while waiting. Those guys have a long career on average and can greatly assist a young QB when and if he is found.

Sure, as long as the draft picks and the FA money are not being eaten up so that when a franchise QB prospect appears we aren't unable to get him.

SAR I

Forget the names attached, Joe Namath's thesis, and one that's shared by millions of Jets fans, is that until the franchise quarterback is found this team goes nowhere.

We've had defensive coaches since forever, the last offensive guy we had in here was circa 1996, and all they can do is get us into the playoffs at which point we run into the franchise quarterback who can pick apart our franchise defense and that's the end of another dream.  There is only one way to find your franchise quarterback and that's through the draft, so saying we're going to take our first or second rounder and draft "best player available" or another defensive lineman isn't a good strategy.  Find the franchise quarterback first, then build around him.  Building everything else as a priority and hoping you can win doesn't work.  Best it can get you is to the AFC Championship Game where you run into John Elway or Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger who beat you singlehandedly.

This isn't rocket science.  But the way the Jets have been acting, the quarterback doesn't matter at all.  Testaverde and Favre were old has-beens who could only be depended on 10 weeks a year, Pennington was only taken because we had 4 first round picks and he had a weak injured arm, Sanchez was only taken because we didn't have a warm body at the position and we did nothing to support him.  Namath is saying its time we took the quarterback position seriously.  He's 100% correct.

SAR I

Agreed. You have to dare to be great. And unless the plan is still to try to win 9-10 games scoring 17 points with the upside being a wildcard and 1st round exit, you need a QB. Mariota is sharper than Smith by a bunch. Physically he may be more of a runner than a passer, but he can throw, and he's very coachable. He's not a drunkard like Manziel nor a dumbass like Smith. 

Bowles is being polite when he calls SMith the #1. May be Mariota doesn't happen, but this CS and FO KNOWS Smith blows. Fitzpatrick is a professional stopgap if we don't get a real QB, or a backup if we do. 

I believe that tells a very pertinent story. Mark Sanchez is not anyone's long term solution. Sorry Joe. 

Recall "Hard Knocks". Namath tried to teach Nacho Sheetbox how tot take a snap. Said Sheetbox ignored him. Namath knows more about being an NFL QB than any of us, 

Listen to Broadway Joe.

He's never wrong.  He called Super Bowl III when others thought he was crazy.  He called the demise of Rex Ryan before anyone else did.

Draft Mariotta.  In fact, draft any potential franchise quarterback because we're not going anywhere until we find one.

SAR I

You don't "draft" franchise QB's, you develop them. It takes time. It doesn't matter where you pick them or how they do early on. Most franchise QB's struggle early on.

best-selling-players-by-state.jpg

On a somewhat related note, Joe Namath is the most popular throwback jersey in the state of New Jersey. And Iowa.

SAR I

I would love to see the parameters of this infographic. 

Kobe is a bigger Jersey sell in Wisconsin than Favre (historically) or Rodgers? 

Payton (as 'sweet' and beloved as he was) is more popular in terms of Jersey sales than Jordan?? Especially when you consider the fact that NBA jerseys are cheaper than NFL jerseys, this is absurd.

Namath jerseys dominate a higher percentage of Iowa's population than Alabama or NY?

Vincanity (Toronto edition) in CT? Having lived in CT since the age of 2, I can very accurately tell you that anywhere from mid to southern CT is all Jeter jerseys, and anything north of that is Brady or Bird.  

And Mantle. In Idaho? Like, what?

Edit: Also, given the disparity in times and relative wealth between Johnny U's days and now, I'd be willing to wager than Peyton has more jersey sales than Johnny U...even though Johnny U is the first GOAT NFL QB. 

Edit 2: Also, I find it interesting that Tillman and Gleason are the highest jersey sales. I wonder how much of those revenue streams are allocated to their respective families, and then how much to the shared profits that the franchise owners get. 

LMAO... was in the gym this morning (Charlotte NC) and heard 2 Eagles fans talking about how Sanchez can hold down the fort.

Even got'em out here in Chicago, bro. A diehard I see a couple times a week has been dying to make me eat my "he will do a few positive things then just completely soil the bed" speech to him last year.

He'll be waiting an eternity. 

On a somewhat related note, Joe Namath is the most popular throwback jersey in the state of New Jersey. And Iowa.

SAR I

This is pretty cool.  I've been spending entirely too much time trying to figure out some of these.  Like 14 in New Mexico (Ernie Banks).  Who's the # 4 in West Virginia and also in Wyoming?

If Mariota is there, draft him.  But let him sit behind Fitzpatrick and learn for a year.  He needs time to acclimate to a pro system.  Let him do what Aaron Rodgers did (maybe not for 3 years, but give him time to learn and adjust before throwing him out there).

SAR I

I think this infographic suggests that you cannot predict what throwbacks are going to be popular in the "urban" crowd.  You probably have to look at which jerseys match expensive sneakers most effectively to predict which jerseys are going to be top sellers.  

He was all over Manziel, saying he'd love to have him on his team and all that stuff. People need to chill out with the "Namath knows best" stuff, he's not Moses.

Nobody said he was Moses, just that he's proven to be right more than wrong. 

I think this infographic suggests that you cannot predict what throwbacks are going to be popular in the "urban" crowd.  You probably have to look at which jerseys match expensive sneakers most effectively to predict which jerseys are going to be top sellers.  

Mississippi and Alabama going with Larry Bird and Ryne Sandberg couldn't be any whiter. 

Ah.  Sandberg in WV and Gehrig in Wyoming.  Of course.  Also didn't realize that map ONLY represents retro jerseys.  I figured, why the heck would Kobe (who carries a ridiculous 7 states) be considered a "retro" jersey when he's still playing.....

It can't be retro only....Kobe and Vince Carter are still active...and although Vince's Raptors jerz could fall into the 'retro' category, Kobe's Lakers jersey certainly doesn't.

It can't be retro only....Kobe and Vince Carter are still active...and although Vince's Raptors jerz could fall into the 'retro' category, Kobe's Lakers jersey certainly doesn't.

http://mitchellandness.com/company/best-selling-players-by-state/

We’ve seen quite a few maps showing the top jerseys in each state, from the Top Selling NFL Jersey among Women Map to the NFL Team Jersey Map. As purveyors of throwback sports apparel with an extensive catalog of vintage jerseys, we wanted to look more into which of our retro jerseys were most popular in each state. We thought it would be interesting to learn more about which historical players each state was fond of or what sport each state enjoyed the most. Using our 2014 sales data, we compiled a list of our top selling player in each state then and aggregated that data into the map seen here. See our full list of players below, with a short description of that player’s career or season. Without further ado, here is Mitchell & Ness’ Best Selling Player by State map.

http://mitchellandness.com/company/best-selling-players-by-state/

We’ve seen quite a few maps showing the top jerseys in each state, from the Top Selling NFL Jersey among Women Map to the NFL Team Jersey Map. As purveyors of throwback sports apparel with an extensive catalog of vintage jerseys, we wanted to look more into which of our retro jerseys were most popular in each state. We thought it would be interesting to learn more about which historical players each state was fond of or what sport each state enjoyed the most. Using our 2014 sales data, we compiled a list of our top selling player in each state then and aggregated that data into the map seen here. See our full list of players below, with a short description of that player’s career or season. Without further ado, here is Mitchell & Ness’ Best Selling Player by State map.

So they're taking the player out of the equation...they literally are talking about just jerseys, in which case that '96 Kobe jerz would be retro. Got it. 

Archived