Pryor to strong safety?

Maxman

Breakout. Season.

Finally playing his true position under a HC who specializes in the secondary. Not to mention he won't have the pressure he had on him as a rookie with terrible corners playing in front of him.

Playing Free Safety in 46 Bear alignment is particularly challenging because the FS is essentially a centerfielder while the SS is in normally in the box and the two CB's are playing man.

The guy is a glorified Eric Smith do of course he'll be playing SS.

LITTLE bit of a strong opinion.  If after a year of playing his normal position, and he still struggles, then I would start calling for the Eric Smith comparisons....would you agree?

LITTLE bit of a strong opinion.  If after a year of playing his normal position, and he still struggles, then I would start calling for the Eric Smith comparisons....would you agree?

yes.  Jury is out until January.  But what concerns me was his poor tackling at FS last year.  Coverage not his strong point, I get that, but he couldn't tackle either, which isn't a great sign for SS.  We shall see.  I hope for our sake he pans out well.

I didn't like the selection of Pryor in the first round at all last year, and his play reflected the reasons I didn't like him.

With that said I think Pryor is one of two players on the defense who are going to have a breakout season this year.  The other being Coples.

Pryor's skill set is tailor made for Bowles "Big Nickle " position that is one of the cornerstones of Bowles D.  One of Pryor's best and worst traits is that he doesn't wrap people up and bring them down for the tackle.  He tries to hit them full speed, and really rattle their teeth.  As the center fielder last year, often with very little  behind him, it was infuriating to see him just fly by a receiver, looking for the high light hit, and have the guy gain big yards after catch, on what should have been a moderate gain.

As the "Big Nickle"  he will be close to the LOS.  When he goes for those big hits, there will be 2 or 3 guys behind him covering for the times he misses.   He will be able to  effectively  play the enforcer role in the middle of the field, with out compromising the deep ball.

Think the position just suits him perfect.

yes.  Jury is out until January.  But what concerns me was his poor tackling at FS last year.  Coverage not his strong point, I get that, but he couldn't tackle either, which isn't a great sign for SS.  We shall see.  I hope for our sake he pans out well.

I doubt tackling is going to be a problem. I think he got overwhelmed playing out of position. He definitely had some moments last year that gives me the feeling that when he establishes some confidence to his game that he'll be good to go.

No reason to sh*t on this. Pryor was a solid mid second round prospect taken a little early. If he were taken in the second instead of the first people would feel much better about him. Sounds like he'll be playing in his more suited, comfortable position, where he made a name for himself in college. He now has a full year of NFL speed adjustment under his belt.  He sucked last year but he was a rookie playing somewhat out of position. I don't think his skillset ever led anyone to believe he'd be an all pro safety (besides Idzik/Rex) but I genuinely think he'll end up being a solid, contributing starter fans will eventually appreciate. 

Yep.  If he falls down in coverage >5 times next season he's definitely an Eric Smith.  If not then Smith stands in a category by himself.

No reason to sh*t on this. Pryor was a solid mid second round prospect taken a little early. If he were taken in the second instead of the first people would feel much better about him. Sounds like he'll be playing in his more suited, comfortable position, where he made a name for himself in college. He now has a full year of NFL speed adjustment under his belt.  He sucked last year but he was a rookie playing somewhat out of position. I don't think his skillset ever led anyone to believe he'd be an all pro safety (besides Idzik) but I genuinely think he'll end up being a solid, contributing starter fans will eventually appreciate. 

Is Marcus Gilchrist one of those safeties who knows how to direct traffic, like a Jim Leonhard?  If so he could help Pryor as well.

LITTLE bit of a strong opinion. If after a year of playing his normal position, and he still struggles, then I would start calling for the Eric Smith comparisons....would you agree?

What else am I supposed to see? He's a hard hitter who can't cover a fullback or tight end with 5.00 40. Straight from the Eric Smith/Jimmy Leonhard school of scrubology.

What else am I supposed to see? He's a hard hitter who can't cover a fullback or tight end with 5.00 40. Straight from the Eric Smith/Jimmy Leonhard school of scrubology.

If Calvin Pryor ends up the next Jim Leonhard we'll be very pleased with him.  Remember how poorly we played the two times he got hurt?  Two of the worst blowouts in the Rex era. 

Is Marcus Gilchrist one of those safeties who knows how to direct traffic, like a Jim Leonhard?  If so he could help Pryor as well.

I really don't know enough about Gilchrist other than from reading he also seemed to be playing out of (safety) position in San Diego. Seems like there was mixed feelings on him from their fan base. To be fair....nobody is usually as hard on a player than their own fan base. I'm really excited to see the Gilchrist/Pryor combo at Safety given the talent surrounding them at CB. Sprinkle in Allen on occasion too. Should hopefully be fun to watch!!!

I really don't know enough about Gilchrist other than from reading he also seemed to be playing out of (safety) position in San Diego. Seems like there was mixed feelings on him from their fan base. To be fair....nobody is usually as hard on a player than their own fan base. I'm really excited to see the Gilchrist/Pryor combo at Safety given the talent surrounding them at CB. Sprinkle in Allen on occasion too. Should hopefully be fun to watch!!!

When it comes to secondary, we can pretty safely give Bowles the benefit of the doubt, sort of like we gave Rex the benefit of the doubt when it came to D-linemen.

Now we just need some fresh talent at LB.

Trendy to pile on Pryor around these parts, but this news should excite us. Hopefully Gilchrist can be competent in coverage.

We took a pass on Brandin cook, kelvin Benjamin and Haha Clinton Dix for a backup caliber strong safety. Nothing trendy about that

Leonhard was terrible.

QB of the defense in 2009 when the D was ranked # 1.  In 2010, coming off a 4-game winning streak, after he got hurt we lost 45-3 to the Pats.  In 2011, coming off a 3-game winning streak that put us at 8-5, Leonhard got hurt again and we lost our final 3 games.  He was an instrumental to our success those three seasons. 

Our record in the 40 regular season games he started was 26-14 (.650 winning %). 

Eric Smith sucked for sure.  But you're dead wrong on Leonhard. 

QB of the defense in 2009 when the D was ranked # 1. In 2010, coming off a 4-game winning streak, after he got hurt we lost 45-3 to the Pats. In 2011, coming off a 3-game winning streak that put us at 8-5, Leonhard got hurt again and we lost our final 3 games. He was an instrumental to our success those three seasons.

Our record in the 40 regular season games he started was 26-14 (.650 winning %).

Eric Smith sucked for sure. But you're dead wrong on Leonhard.

No I'm right. Guy couldn't cover a one legged man and the defense actually got better after he got injured in 2010. Qb of the defense my ass Rex called the plays.

No I'm right. Guy couldn't cover a one legged man and the defense actually got better after he got injured in 2010. Qb of the defense my ass Rex called the plays.

Rex called the plays.  Leonhard directed traffic.  Read Collision Low Crossers then come back to me.  Rex saw his importance and so did Mike Pettine, who brought him to Cleveland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371707/article/jim-leonhard-signs-with-the-cleveland-browns

As any reader of Nicholas Dawidoff's Collision Low Crossers knows, Leonhard is essentially a coach on the field with an extraordinarily high football IQ. He will help Browns defenders grasp the nuances of Pettine's scheme, while pushing free safety Tashaun Gipson for snaps.

I worked all day yesterday so I didn't read much. I saw a quote about this though.... It is probably in the ota thread but I though this was worthy of its own topic.

Thoughts?

" Pryor to strong safety? "..

~ ~ I sure hope so because he is a Ss... he is NOT  a Fs     :character0181:

The guy is a glorified Eric Smith do of course he'll be playing SS.

IDK Eric Smith was a smart player that could get the secondary lined up (filling that role the years Leonhard went down) and was a Special Teams captain, but he was physically limited, particularly with his stiff hips and limited speed.

Pryor seems to definitely be more athletic than Smith was, but with his terrible angles, appearing to run himself out of position to make the play at times shows me he struggles with the mental part of the game.

If Pryor can get the fundamentals down and take better angles he should be able to make plays with his athletic ability. And despite what the scouting reports said about Pryor coming into the league, I have yet to see him lay someone out like Smith did throughout his career.

Too bad Smith didn't have the hips and speed to be more effective in coverage, cause if he did he'd of been one hell of a player.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I worked all day yesterday so I didn't read much. I saw a quote about this though.... It is probably in the ota thread but I though this was worthy of its own topic.

Thoughts?

My thoughts? I'm sorry for over loading you with more work during the ramp up of the draft :(

New trend:  Your definitive assessment that a guy playing his first year out of position is "backup caliber" is stupid.

Have to agree. Dude has ZERO patience and refuses to see the entire situation for what it was.

My thoughts? I'm sorry for over loading you with more work during the ramp up of the draft :(

LOL. It is quite alright. There are plenty of hours in the day. Check your email when you get a chance. 

IDK Eric Smith was a smart player that could get the secondary lined up (filling that role the years Leonhard went down) and was a Special Teams captain, but he was physically limited, particularly with his stiff hips and limited speed.

Pryor seems to definitely be more athletic than Smith was, but with his terrible angles, appearing to run himself out of position to make the play at times shows me he struggles with the mental part of the game.

If Pryor can get the fundamentals down and take better angles he should be able to make plays with his athletic ability. And despite what the scouting reports said about Pryor coming into the league, I have yet to see him lay someone out like Smith did throughout his career.

Too bad Smith didn't have the hips and speed to be more effective in coverage, cause if he did he'd of been one hell of a player.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Was Pryor one of the guys who wasn't getting to meetings on time?  I had the impression that he was benched at least once for reasons unrelated to his play.

Archived