Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

JetBlue

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple things people are missing. We will not be running he Buffalo offense.

It will have some similarities, but it is being specifically adapted for Geno and our personnel. Huge advantage for Geno

Gailey is VERY pro Geno and he has coached Fitz before. People should recognize that.

The offensive weapons are dramatically better. Our 6th receiver this year may be better (or the same -Owusu) than last years three. Adding Marshall has a huge ripple effect throughout the receiving corps and makes us MUCH stronger  

Fitzgerald has never been a successful QB.

Garrard's opinion worth a zillion times more than yours, or mine. Try again.

Bye the way, Fitzpatrick has never been warned by his team mates not to screw it up. Is he one of the best ever, also?

No, you just have to not be putrid to avoid being called out by your own teammates not to **** everything up.

Garrard got a 14 on his Wonderlic. ;)

If he can learn new playbook ,, thats my main worry

Actually I'm not worried about that at all. May be some different terminology but it's doubtful he's been handed a whole playbook full of plays/things he's never seen before in the 2 prior seasons.

I'm worried about what happens after the ball's snapped in live action. No matter how much I want him to be a good QB, and no matter how much the coaches say they believe in him, it will concern me until I see he's overcome it. Not talking about never throwing a pick or taking a sack, as all good (and all great) QBs do it, but there's a big gap in frequency.

Also I want to see his ball placement get dramatically better, even on completed passes. They look like great passes on the stat sheet until you realize a play coulda/shoulda gone all the way to the house instead of a mere 1st down completion.

At least there's another option now (one who seems to give a crap, unlike Vick).

What good news do you speak of?

Some wanna be actor writes an article and thats now news??

it was the direct quote from the jets QB coach I was referring to obviously

As Jets' Quarterbacks Coach Kevin Patullo put it in an interview for NewYorkJets.com:

"Geno’s working hard. He's doing all the things we're asking of him. He's working hard in the classroom and on the field, he's practicing well, he's taken leadership."

Patullo went on in his interview to praise Geno's quick feet and command of the huddle, stating how he's "feeding off of Fitz," referring to Jets' backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is great news for New York Jets' fans. The starter is taking control and working with his veteran backup. There is harmony in the locker room, and that equals wins on the field.

it was the direct quote from the jets QB coach I was referring to obviously

As Jets' Quarterbacks Coach Kevin Patullo put it in an interview for NewYorkJets.com:

Patullo went on in his interview to praise Geno's quick feet and command of the huddle, stating how he's "feeding off of Fitz," referring to Jets' backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is great news for New York Jets' fans. The starter is taking control and working with his veteran backup. There is harmony in the locker room, and that equals wins on the field.

Not if it doesn't meet with your agenda.  Geno HAS to suck; don't you get that?  

It's encouraging but still way too early. Let's get some pads on first. Geno SHOULD be better after another year under his belt, better weapons, etc. But we'll see.

We'll see what happens in preseason. I put zero stock into what happens in practice I want to see what happens when the lights are on the pads are on and they're facing nfl defenses at full speed.

We'll see if that holds true when he is not competing "against air" which is all these practices have been. When the hitting starts and the Jets start using multiple schemes in practice THEN we'll see where Geno is. Better yet when preseason games start will be an even better indicator. I hope he is up to it. 

What is your problem? Who loves Geno? Even if I did wtf does it have to do with questioning how someone who hasn't seen someone practice in over a year can comment on how they practice? How does any of this mean that we have to trust a QB who hasn't seen him in over a year. Answer that or move on

Substance, LOL, you hate Geno so much you can't bring yourself to read

My problem is Geno is wretched and makes the Jets offense unwatchable and he singlehandedly throws games away.

I am a Jets fan so yeah, I got a problem with that big time.

My problem is Geno is wretched and makes the Jets offense unwatchable and he singlehandedly throws games away.

Stop believing your eyes. Let hopes and dreams dictate your thinking. Assign imagined upsides to each of your quarterbacks and judge thusly. 

I am a Jets fan so yeah, I got a problem with that big time.

All well and good, I also am sick of sh*tty QB play, we're in agreement. But this has nothing to do with Garrad hasn't seen Geno practice in over a year and can hardly speak to what he's doing today.

All well and good, I also am sick of sh*tty QB play, we're in agreement. But this has nothing to do with Garrad hasn't seen Geno practice in over a year and can hardly speak to what he's doing today.

So then no one here is allowed to talk about him either since we have never practiced with Geno? Garrard has eyes, watches the games, actually knows Geno personally, and actually knows what it takes to play the position. I repeat: his opinion is more valuable than anyone on here.

So then no one here is allowed to talk about him either since we have never practiced with Geno? Garrard has eyes, watches the games, actually knows Geno personally, and actually knows what it takes to play the position. I repeat: his opinion is more valuable than anyone on here.

agree

Why don't you take a second and read the original comments by Garrad before talking because you're on a tangent and obviously don't know what he was saying. .

The whole point was Garrard talked about Geno playing one way in practice vs how he plays in games. So yeah, if you don't see practices today the comments are pointless. And whether we see them or not has nothing to do with it. He wasn't talking only about game day performances,meh was talking about what he saw on practices.

Since we are using Quarterbacks who watched Geno in practice, here is one who not only saw him in practice for half a summer but actually was with him for an entire season; Genos second, not first.  

Former Jets backup QB Michael Vick praises Geno Smith

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52034/former-jets-backup-qb-michael-vick-praises-geno-smith

Unlike David Garrard, who offered a less-than-effusive evaluation of Geno Smithin a television interview last month, Michael Vick stayed on the high road when questioned about his former New York Jets teammate.

"I think Geno just has to stay the course," Vick told the NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Tuesday night. "I think, without struggle, there's no progress, and I think he's been through that part throughout the first two years of his career.

"I think Geno just has to stay the course," Michael Vick said of Geno Smith. 

"I watched him mature a lot down the stretch throughout the course of the year last year, and he started to get it," Vick continued.

"I think some guys, it takes longer than others. I think going into Year 3, Geno can go in with some confidence, feeling good about the way he finished up last year and have an opportunity to go out there and show his teammates and show the Jets nation that he has it, he has what it takes and they're waiting to see it.”

Vick is right about one thing: Smith finished on an upbeat note.

Consider: In Weeks 1 to 12, Smith compiled a 27.6 QBR -- 31st in the NFL.

From Weeks 13 to 17, his QBR was 49.8 -- 19th over that span.

A 49.8 QBR is the definition of average, but, hey, it was an improvement, right? Smith showed resilience, rebounding from a three-game benching. Which brings us back to Vick.

If Vick had created any semblance of a spark during his three-game stint, it might have been enough to keep Smith on the bench for the remainder of the season. Maybe Vick wouldn't be unemployed right now. Maybe Smith wouldn't be going to training camp as the first-team quarterback. Maybe Rex Ryan still would be ...

Oh, never mind. Let's not go that far.

Garrard is certainly entitled to his opinion and he may have been correct in some areas but there is such a thing as a growth process and it appears to me anyway, that Geno has grown both as a person and a player.  He went through a very tough year and finished on a high note; I know folks want to dismiss that but I think it is relevant.  Now with the offense tailored to his strengths and better weapons, we will see if he can take his game to that next level to justify being the starter.   

Since we are using Quarterbacks who watched Geno in practice, here is one who not only saw him in practice for half a summer but actually was with him for an entire season; Genos second, not first.  

Former Jets backup QB Michael Vick praises Geno Smith

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52034/former-jets-backup-qb-michael-vick-praises-geno-smith

Unlike David Garrard, who offered a less-than-effusive evaluation of Geno Smithin a television interview last month, Michael Vick stayed on the high road when questioned about his former New York Jets teammate.

"I think Geno just has to stay the course," Vick told the NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Tuesday night. "I think, without struggle, there's no progress, and I think he's been through that part throughout the first two years of his career.

"I think Geno just has to stay the course," Michael Vick said of Geno Smith. 

"I watched him mature a lot down the stretch throughout the course of the year last year, and he started to get it," Vick continued.

"I think some guys, it takes longer than others. I think going into Year 3, Geno can go in with some confidence, feeling good about the way he finished up last year and have an opportunity to go out there and show his teammates and show the Jets nation that he has it, he has what it takes and they're waiting to see it.”

Vick is right about one thing: Smith finished on an upbeat note.

Consider: In Weeks 1 to 12, Smith compiled a 27.6 QBR -- 31st in the NFL.

From Weeks 13 to 17, his QBR was 49.8 -- 19th over that span.

A 49.8 QBR is the definition of average, but, hey, it was an improvement, right? Smith showed resilience, rebounding from a three-game benching. Which brings us back to Vick.

If Vick had created any semblance of a spark during his three-game stint, it might have been enough to keep Smith on the bench for the remainder of the season. Maybe Vick wouldn't be unemployed right now. Maybe Smith wouldn't be going to training camp as the first-team quarterback. Maybe Rex Ryan still would be ...

Oh, never mind. Let's not go that far.

Garrard is certainly entitled to his opinion and he may have been correct in some areas but there is such a thing as a growth process and it appears to me anyway, that Geno has grown both as a person and a player.  He went through a very tough year and finished on a high note; I know folks want to dismiss that but I think it is relevant.  Now with the offense tailored to his strengths and better weapons, we will see if he can take his game to that next level to justify being the starter.   

Ok so our poll so far is that 33% of former NFL QBs think Geno can be good. (Namath is in the "no" column). Anyone else? 33% equals suck BTW.

Why don't you take a second and read the original comments by Garrad before talking because you're on a tangent and obviously don't know what he was saying. .

The whole point was Garrard talked about Geno playing one way in practice vs how he plays in games. So yeah, if you don't see practices today the comments are pointless. And whether we see them or not has nothing to do with it. He wasn't talking only about game day performances,meh was talking about what he saw on practices.

don't need to re-read. we both agree with what garrard said. game too fast for geno, he is fool's gold in practice/controlled environment. slow brain.

Ok so our poll so far is that 33% of former NFL QBs think Geno can be good. (Namath is in the "no" column). Anyone else? 33% equals suck BTW.

Actually the only former qb that was on the team with him for a full season and watched everyday in practice etc. is Vick.   I don't recall Namath ever said he didn't think Geno could be good and neither did Garrard unless I missed something.   

THIS is what Namath ACTUALLY said as recently as May:  

Woody Johnson, Jets owner, and Joe Namath, Jets icon, have watched Geno Smith play quarterback for their favorite team the last two years. But the owner sounds higher on Smith than does the icon.

"He's going to mature," Johnson said Tuesday at the 13th annual BTIG Commissions for Charity Day in Manhattan. "He's not going to be making rookie mistakes anymore. He's not going to be making sophomore mistakes anymore, hopefully.  "And when we played the Dolphins [in the season finale], he played OK. So if he can keep that going, we're good. We need to get him more targets."

Namath stated he isn't privy to the finer details of exactly where Smith is at in his career. "But what I have said in the past is I haven't seen anything particularly outstanding about the passing ability or the footwork or the running," the Jets' lone Super Bowl-winning quarterback said. "What is outstanding?"

The 71-year-old Namath thinks a third year "absolutely" could make a difference for Smith, especially with a better cast around him.

But the opening round of the draft is just a day away. Two marquee quarterbacks are available. Jameis Winston is expected to go first to Tampa Bay. Then the Marcus Mariota watch begins. Will the quarterback go No. 2 to Tennessee? Will the Jets or another team trade into that slot and take him? Will the Jets select him if he falls to No. 6?

ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE ON NEWSDAY

"From what I've seen of Mariota, he's not going to be available at that time," Namath said. "Some of the teams are pretty well set at that position. But those that aren't, sure, I'd make the move. I'd try and get him. From what I've seen the last four years of him, I want him, yeah.

"I wouldn't say if I were the Jets I'd trade up for him. I couldn't do that because I haven't seen the real body of work that Geno has put in."

Johnson said the Jets will draft the best player and not base it on need. Namath gave a glowing review of Johnson's new guys in charge: general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles.

"I like the aggressiveness," Namath said. "I believe that they're bold and they know what the hell they're doing."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/woody-johnson-high-on-geno-smith-joe-namath-isn-t-1.10345064

Sorry but I don't see where you get this "Namath doesn't think he can be good" from. 

Namath stated he isn't privy to the finer details of exactly where Smith is at in his career. "But what I have said in the past is I haven't seen anything particularly outstanding about the passing ability or the footwork or the running," the Jets' lone Super Bowl-winning quarterback said. "What is outstanding?"

The 71-year-old Namath thinks a third year "absolutely" could make a difference for Smith, especially with a better cast around him.

To summarize: "I do not think Geno is good but I am hopeful because I am a Jet fan and this is the make-or-break year for him and he will have no excuses with the talent around him now." This also happens to be my exact position.

To summarize: "I do not think Geno is good but I am hopeful because I am a Jet fan and this is the make-or-break year for him and he will have no excuses with the talent around him now."

No that is your take on it.  You are like those commentators who have to tell you what you just heard when someone gives a speech, lol.  Sorry but I can read and comprehend for myself and don't need any help.  But thanks anyway. 

No that is your take on it.  You are like those commentators who have to tell you what you just heard when someone gives a speech, lol.  Sorry but I can read and comprehend for myself and don't need any help.  But thanks anyway. 

That's like, your opinion, man.

Huh? How else u take it, LOL. I hope Geno does well, but come on, this isnt a ringing endorsement

"But what I have said in the past is I haven't seen anything particularly outstanding about the passing ability or the footwork or the running," the Jets' lone Super Bowl-winning quarterback said. "What is outstanding?"

"But what I have said in the past is I haven't seen anything particularly outstanding about the passing ability or the footwork or the running," the Jets' lone Super Bowl-winning quarterback said. "What is outstanding?"

Shhh... TRUTH Hurts  :winking0001:

To summarize: "I do not think Geno is good but I am hopeful because I am a Jet fan and this is the make-or-break year for him and he will have no excuses with the talent around him now." This also happens to be my exact position.

Make-or-break was also last year's mantra for Geno, for what it's worth.  I personally expected nothing from his sophomore season after his buffoonish conduct on an airplane gave me a glimpse the guy we continue to trust our offense to. So brace yourself for more disappointment if he starts. He needs the humility of the pine - and only maybe then does he have a shot. But as long as he thinks he's something special then we'll continue to have problems. 

Shhh... TRUTH Hurts  :winking0001:

The full quote was - Namath stated he isn't privy to the finer details of exactly where Smith is at in his career.

Huh? How else u take it, LOL. I hope Geno does well, but come on, this isnt a ringing endorsement

Again with the selective quotes... smh.  HERE IS THE DIRECT QUOTE IN ITS ENTIRETY.

Namath stated he isn't privy to the finer details of exactly where Smith is at in his career.

If you are going to post the quote at least post the rest of it.  I have no problems with any of Namaths comments.  

To summarize: "I do not think Geno is good but I am hopeful because I am a Jet fan and this is the make-or-break year for him and he will have no excuses with the talent around him now."

You have this amazing ability to read an article and change the entire focus of what is being said to what you want told

And then ague with people who actually what was said.

Archived