If Geno was released...

Joe Jets fan

The Jets would NOT release Geno.

I think Geno would draw interest form more teams than we think.  He's young, athletic and may need time away from NY and sit on the sidelines.  Good for a backup role somewhere.

Yes, in a heartbeat he would be claimed off waivers. Some teams that I think would be interested (Bills, Saints, Browns, Dolphins, Packers, Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers, Bears, Redskins, Texans)

Bills, Browns, 49ers, Texans , Bears and Redskins would likely be looking at Geno as a potential starter.

Saints, Packers and Broncos would look at him as a decent backup plan.

Seahawks would take a look at him as a last resort incase they cant come up with a reasonable price for Wilson.

Dolphins might scoop him up to compete for their starting QB spot after his 159 qbr in Miami last season.

Another team that would take a look at him is the Cardinals, even though they like Carson Palmer he was injured last season and their backup QB situation was a nightmare.

I know a lot of people dislike Geno but it really truly can be worse.

Literally every team.  The Giants signed Curtis Painter last year for $800K behind Eli and Nassib.  Geno makes $585K this year and like $700K next.  I do not believe there is a team in the league that believes it has 3 QBs better than Geno and I don't think there is a QB in the league making more than $100k less.  This year the Giants signed Ricky Stanzi to a reserves/futures contract that costs more than what Geno has left on his deal for the year. That's the Giants that have 2 QBs they like.

Literally every team.  The Giants signed Curtis Painter for $800K behind Eli and Nassib.  Geno makes $585K this year and like $700K next.  I do not believe there is a team in the league that believes it has 3 QBs better than Geno and I don't think there is a QB in the league making more than $100k less.

+1

Under his current contract, yes, any team looking for even a third string QB would pick him up and see if they could fix him. He has two years of starting experience and that would give another team a cheap year to see what they could do with him. However, if he had a larger contract I can't imagine many teams would want to spend big money to try to develop the guy.

right now, would he be claimed off waivers?

What team do you think claims him?

Its a question of what other teams think of Geno's value.

So following this logic his value is high? Because there isn't a chance in hell he gets released.

And he gets picked up immediately.

New twist on another Geno thread though. Doesn't this find ways to kill Geno thing get tiring?

Yes it does. So it appears the vast majority beleave other teams value Geno much more then I thought they do.

It may only mean that this is what the majority believe: even teams that think he will never get any better may still think he would provide more value on their roster than their current 3rd string QB. There aren't many QBs floating around with 2 years starting experience at his age, salary, and (actual or theoretical) upside/potential.

I think it would be shocking if he cleared waivers given his present contract. If he had $5 million left on his deal then I think he'd almost certainly clear waivers. But with 2 non-guaranteed years at <$2million if kept through 2016? I don't see it.

Archived