Pro-Brady Arguments are Plainly Silly and His Prospects in Federal Court are Weak

Bruce Harper

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the Pats that have kept this in the news. Why do you think the NFL is so mad? What are they supposed to cave just so it will go away? That would be open season for all teams to hold the league hostage with threats of law suits.

I really think Brady should be suspended until he comes clean and they both apologize to the NFL for questioning their character.

What a couple of idiots. Even if Goodall wanted to make this go away he cannot anymore.

Just the pats keeping it in the news huh, not Goodell at all taking forever to hear the appeal than to make a decision on the appeal? I mean the SB was last Feb..but its just the pats.

Ha ha..ok

CBS just released transcripts from the appeal and Brady denies even knowing who Jim McNally is. A 10+ year locker room attendant. Is he a friggen idiot?

If you accept Brady at his word that means it is likely someone else was instructing McNally.  Maybe a team policy?  No wonder Brady withheld those texts.

Ravens and Colts puttin the screws to goodell which is great.

The ravens had to deal with the legal bush-league play calls. Colts deflategate. Their hatred for pats surpasses ours.

Can you imagine the anger if suspension is reduced? If I was biscotti I'd publicly embarass the pats. Biscotti a pretty well respected and he's kept fairly quit so far I think. A classic, public ass-reaming of the pats would be my first order of business if suspension gets reduced.

Also, does anyone sit right behind the visitors bench? The heckling has got to be at all-time classic levels this year for Pats.

Just the pats keeping it in the news huh, not Goodell at all taking forever to hear the appeal than to make a decision on the appeal? I mean the SB was last Feb..but its just the pats.

Ha ha..ok

Why does Goodell have to rush for the Pats? And how, it's Brady suing the NFL. Hey how much quicker do you imagine this all would have went if Brady cooperated, didn't stall and then refuse to cooperate. You know, protecting others by not setting president. What a guy

Is it ever the Pats fault? They cheated. They were caught and the Pats apologists come running blaming everyone but the Pats.  Forget the fact that Brady and the Pats cheated, the process is at fault.  The commish didn't to Kraft a favor.  Didn't move quick enough.  Was too detailed.  Brady should have gotten preferential treatment.  

At least your legacy is consistent, never won a thing without cheating. Not a single title that wasn't tainted. Despised forever

Brady and the entire patriots organization are making themselves look like fools. This, on top of everything else they have done, will forever be their legacy.

I totally agree indygirl. Brady wants his name cleared more than or as much as he wants to see the suspension of games overturned.  There very well may be a reduction in the suspension of games but I don't think the * after his name is going away.

Stop already, you sound like a raving idiot. New defense, Brady was pre judged? And he was in a no win situation? LOL, Pats fans are delusional. If you're even slow enough to believe this new, 30th or so line of defense.

how old are you? 14?

Good defense.  Do not have a counter argument and point at me.  :sign0098:

The Patriots were pre-judged.  Kensil is confronting a Patriots employee on the side line saying your are screwed.  This was before the Wells investigation.  So, yes they were pre-judged. 

And the NFL did no favors for the Patriots by leaking bad information and when said information was prooven wrong did nothing to have ESPN or Mort to retract the statement.  The NFL wanted sycophant nation, go look in the mirror, to cry and whine about the Patriots to win the court of public opinion.

CBS just released transcripts from the appeal and Brady denies even knowing who Jim McNally is. A 10+ year locker room attendant. Is he a friggen idiot?

I thought he just denied knowing his name...I could see that in all honesty.  A lot of these athletes don't have the time to learn the names of the janitors, towel boys/girls, equipment guys, etc.  They're just there.  Unless McNally was the head guy, but I don't think he was.

Brady's lawyer is as clueless, arrogant and douchy as his client. What possible relevance does the following exchange have, taken from Brady's appeal hearing:

Q. And how many Super Bowls have you led the Patriots to during your career?

A. Four.

Q. Now, how many did you go to?

A. Six.

Q. I know you are focused on how many did you win?

A. Four.

Q. Okay. Has anybody won anymore?

A. Same, Montana.

Also, love that Brady disses Terry Bradshaw, you know the first guy to win four Super Bowls, by not including him. Class act that Tom Brady. 

Tom Brady is an idiot who disrespects the game. 

It's the Pats that have kept this in the news. Why do you think the NFL is so mad? What are they supposed to cave just so it will go away? That would be open season for all teams to hold the league hostage with threats of law suits.

I really think Brady should be suspended until he comes clean and they both apologize to the NFL for questioning their character.

What a couple of idiots. Even if Goodall wanted to make this go away he cannot anymore.

The Pats are fighting it like they should. 

The Pats are fighting it like they should. 

Actually, they shouldn't. The fighting of it is why it has blown up into a big issue. Had Brady admitted it at the outset, minimized it and moved on we wouldn't be talking about it right now. 

"Yes I had the locker room attendants prepare the balls for me, all QBs do that. I thought we were following the correct procedure, apparently we may not have been. That's my fault. I will make sure we are doing it the right way moving forward."

That's all he had to say and this would have been over. The NFL might have fined him $10 Grand. End of story. 

From yesterday's documents released by the NFLPA, below is part of Brady's testimony under oath.  As I've said before, something about Goodell's handling of this case does not fly with me.

“Q. Okay. As you are sitting here today, I am going to ask you to be very clear. Did you ever give anyone any directions or instructions or authorization, anything, for the AFC Championship Game that they should alter, change, lower the pressure of footballs?

A. Absolutely not.

Q. Okay. You never authorized it?

A. No.

Q. Okay. Do you know somebody did it despite your authorization?

A. I don’t know what you mean.

Q. In other words, are you aware that, even [though] you didn’t authorize it, they did it anyway?

A. No.

Q. Are you aware of that? 

A. No.”

From yesterday's documents released by the NFLPA, below is part of Brady's testimony under oath.  As I've said before, something about Goodell's handling of this case does not fly with me.

“Q. Okay. As you are sitting here today, I am going to ask you to be very clear. Did you ever give anyone any directions or instructions or authorization, anything, for the AFC Championship Game that they should alter, change, lower the pressure of footballs?

A. Absolutely not.

Q. Okay. You never authorized it?

A. No.

Q. Okay. Do you know somebody did it despite your authorization?

A. I don’t know what you mean.

Q. In other words, are you aware that, even [though] you didn’t authorize it, they did it anyway?

A. No.

Q. Are you aware of that? 

A. No.”

I don't see anything wrong. 

Why does Goodell have to rush for the Pats? And how, it's Brady suing the NFL. Hey how much quicker do you imagine this all would have went if Brady cooperated, didn't stall and then refuse to cooperate. You know, protecting others by not setting president. What a guy

Is it ever the Pats fault? They cheated. They were caught and the Pats apologists come running blaming everyone but the Pats. Forget the fact that Brady and the Pats cheated, the process is at fault. The commish didn't to Kraft a favor. Didn't move quick enough. Was too detailed. Brady should have gotten preferential treatment.

At least your legacy is consistent, never won a thing without cheating. Not a single title that wasn't tainted. Despised forever

Who said he had to rush for the Patriots? I agree the pats help prolong this but still the NFL has a hand in this as,well. No matter if Brady cooperated or not. Waiting on the Wells report, then to make a decision, set a date for an appeal hearing then to wait on the appeal decision all took too much time.

And thats not all on the pats. And i never once said the pats were innocent so save all that apologists talk for another poster. Even though we all know some jets fans love to extrapolate anything the pats do as a federal crime..

As far as his legacy. I laugh when a some jet fan really think this is gonna damage him or the patriots long term. It wont. Still got the rings, coaches n HOF player(s)..fans gonna whine n cry about it , no problem they will just beat you like they have been doing. So oh well. Whine n cry.

I don't see anything wrong. 

Under oath, Brady denies it.  Why would he do this if Goodell has evidence to prove otherwise?

Also, as one of the exhibits shows otherwise, how come the Ravens were able to deny they tipped off the NFL and Colts a day before the AFCCG (item below)?  If the NFL knew about it, why wouldn't they have requested to have all the balls tested before the game?  So, Goodell allowed the game to go on, possibly affecting the Colts and their ability to win, just to entrap Brady and the Pats?  

Kleck, you're a bright guy.  You gotta admit that so much of this doesn't make logical sense.  Again, I blame Goodell for his incompetence and, if we can take our hate Pats hats off, it starts to look like a witch hunt.

The NFL became aware of the issue on Jan. 17 — the day before the AFC Championship Game — when Colts general manager Ryan Grigson e-mailed league employee Dave Gardi about a potential problem. Grigson forwarded Gardi an e-mail from Colts equipment manager Sean Sullivan, who stated that the Ravens’ special teams coach called Colts head coach Chuck Pagano during the week to tell him about an issue with the special teams footballs during the Patriots-Ravens playoff game the prior week. Sullivan also wrote that “it is well known around the league” that the Patriots’ ball boys often let air out of the footballs after inspection. Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said in February that “we were never involved with it.”

Under oath, Brady denies it.

Brady is not under oath. An appeal in the NFL offices is not a court of law.

And even if he was under oath, would he be the first person to perjure himself?

Again, and I can not stress this enough, if Brady had handled this better in January we would not be having this conversation right now. 

Based on the locker rooms attendants' text messages and Brady's refusal to share text messages from that period of time, it is fairly obvious that something outside the parameters of the rules was done and that Brady knew more than he claims he does. 

He could have avoided all of this mishegas by admitting it, minimizing it and moving on. Had he done that, the league would have maybe given him a slap on the wrist fine and the story would have been drowned out by the usual Super Bowl hype. 

Instead, he lied, he made bad, tasteless jokes, he covered it up, cost his team a first-round draft pick, a massive fine and will probably wind up costing himself four games. 

Goodell, in his role as commissioner, simply reacted to the situation that unfolded and what I am sure was pressure from other owners who are sick of the Pats' bullsh*t. 

Actually, they shouldn't. The fighting of it is why it has blown up into a big issue. Had Brady admitted it at the outset, minimized it and moved on we wouldn't be talking about it right now. 

"Yes I had the locker room attendants prepare the balls for me, all QBs do that. I thought we were following the correct procedure, apparently we may not have been. That's my fault. I will make sure we are doing it the right way moving forward."

That's all he had to say and this would have been over. The NFL might have fined him $10 Grand. End of story. 

the league was tipped off, they could have spoken to NE rather than try to catch them.  they warned them in spygate, they warn teams all the time. then if they are caught they get severe punishment.  the league doesn't have real evidence, they don't check the balls every game to have a guide.  it was odd to go after them over something so silly.  the NFL brought this upon themselves and worked the media and fans into a frenzy over nonsense.

the league was tipped off, they could have spoken to NE rather than try to catch them.  they warned them in spygate, they warn teams all the time. then if they are caught they get severe punishment.  the league doesn't have real evidence, they don't check the balls every game to have a guide.  it was odd to go after them over something so silly.  the NFL brought this upon themselves and worked the media and fans into a frenzy over nonsense.

Not for nothin, but the NFL has warned the Pats in the past to no avail. 

"I did it, it was no big deal, and I'll make sure it won't happen again."

Story over. 

Quote of emphasis. 

Brady is not under oath. An appeal in the NFL offices is not a court of law.

And even if he was under oath, would he be the first person to perjure himself?

Again, and I can not stress this enough, if Brady had handled this better in January we would not be having this conversation right now. 

Based on the locker rooms attendants' text messages and Brady's refusal to share text messages from that period of time, it is fairly obvious that something outside the parameters of the rules was done and that Brady knew more than he claims he does. 

He could have avoided all of this mishegas by admitting it, minimizing it and moving on. Had he done that, the league would have maybe given him a slap on the wrist fine and the story would have been drowned out by the usual Super Bowl hype. 

Instead, he lied, he made bad, tasteless jokes, he covered it up, cost his team a first-round draft pick, a massive fine and will probably wind up costing himself four games. 

Goodell, in his role as commissioner, simply reacted to the situation that unfolded and what I am sure was pressure from other owners who are sick of the Pats' bullsh*t. 

We know it's not a court of law.  But by your reasoning, all the Wells work would have no validity/weight, too.  

There is the court of public opinion.  Again, Brady would have known the consequences of lying in that hearing.   Especially when you consider that--with enough cash thrown at them by the tabloid press for instance--anyone in the Pats camp who actually did tamper with the balls could be enticed to spill the beans on Brady.  

Story over. 

As much as we don't want to hear it, past deeds have nothing to do with this case.  See, if the other owners are running the show and directing Goodell, just come out and say so.  We know the NFL is a fiefdom and would now at least understand the motivation.

Story over. 

they warned them multiple times over spygate which was why they punished them the way they did.  in this instance they tried to catch them when Indy was so up in arms over the balls they sat on the info for months trying to hold it to get NE off their game if they met in the playoffs like they did.

Brady's lawyer is as clueless, arrogant and douchy as his client. What possible relevance does the following exchange have, taken from Brady's appeal hearing:

Also, love that Brady disses Terry Bradshaw, you know the first guy to win four Super Bowls, by not including him. Class act that Tom Brady. 

Tom Brady is an idiot who disrespects the game. 

Not only that, the other two 4-time SB-winning QB's did not have allegations of the kind of cheating the Pats have done to even get into the SB. In other words, Bradshaw's and Montana's rings aren't tainted.

We know it's not a court of law.  But by your reasoning, all the Wells work would have no validity/weight, too.  

There is the court of public opinion.  Again, Brady would have known the consequences of lying in that hearing.   Especially when you consider that--with enough cash thrown at them by the tabloid press for instance--anyone in the Pats camp who actually did tamper with the balls could be enticed to spill the beans on Brady.  

As much as we don't want to hear it, past deeds have nothing to do with this case.  See, if the other owners are running the show and directing Goodell, just come out and say so.  We know the NFL is a fiefdom and would now at least understand the motivation.

:face:

Al Capone didn't go to prison for murder. He went for not paying his taxes. 

Brady and the Pats were not appropriately punished for Spygate and the perception was that Goodell burned the tapes to hide evidence of even more damning cheating not to mention the stories of additional radio signals that just kind of went away somehow. 

Of course Goodell is controlled by the owners. They pay his bloated salary. His actions in this case may be motivated by a desire to not appear as though he is controlled by one particular owner. 

And you know what? I'm fine with it. Brady pretty obviously knew about it and by extension, played a role in it. 

It's never the crime that does you in, its the cover up. 

Brady did it, he knows he did it and arrogantly thought he could get away with it or his Daddy would pressure the headmaster to take it easy on him. 

He was wrong. And it is glorious. 

Brady and the Pats were not appropriately punished for Spygate and the perception was that Goodell burned the tapes to hide evidence of even more damning cheating not to mention the stories of additional radio signals that just kind of went away somehow. 

Of course Goodell is controlled by the owners. They pay his bloated salary. His actions in this case may be motivated by a desire to not appear as though he is controlled by one particular owner. 

And you know what? I'm fine with it. Brady pretty obviously knew about it and by extension, played a role in it. 

Brady did it, he knows he did it and arrogantly thought he could get away with it or his Daddy would pressure the headmaster to take it easy on him. 

I hope you are right.  I am a bit concerned about how the Judge wants the case to settle so badly.  In my opinion, Brady has much stronger reasons to compromise, but we'll see if he has the common sense and lack of arrogance to do so.  Goodell has to please all the owners who hate Brady and the Pats, so in many ways he might prefer to lose the court case than compromise so at least he can tell his guys, "we tried, but the Judge got it wrong." If Brady is offered two games he should grab it and run because this Judge is a former arbitrator and believes very strongly in Alternative Dispute Resolution.  There is not better way to undermine ADR, than to reverse a non-arbitrary decision of an arbitrator, even where you disagree with it.

Good defense.  Do not have a counter argument and point at me.  :sign0098:

The Patriots were pre-judged.  Kensil is confronting a Patriots employee on the side line saying your are screwed.  This was before the Wells investigation.  So, yes they were pre-judged. 

And the NFL did no favors for the Patriots by leaking bad information and when said information was prooven wrong did nothing to have ESPN or Mort to retract the statement.  The NFL wanted sycophant nation, go look in the mirror, to cry and whine about the Patriots to win the court of public opinion.

Sure, it was a league edict to prejudge the team, to get the nation as a whole against the poor Pats and that forced them to continue their cheating ways. The fact that the balls were deflated, the fact that any and every QB would know immediately that they were while Brady continues to deniy he knew anything, it's on the league. You don't even deny Brady did it anymore, you just look for reasons to make the league look bad.

I hope you are right.  I am a bit concerned about how the Judge wants the case to settle so badly.  In my opinion, Brady has much stronger reasons to compromise, but we'll see if he has the common sense and lack of arrogance to do so.  Goodell has to please all the owners who hate Brady and the Pats, so in many ways he might prefer to lose the court case than compromise so at least he can tell his guys, "we tried, but the Judge got it wrong." If Brady is offered two games he should grab it and run because this Judge is a former arbitrator and believes very strongly in Alternative Dispute Resolution.  There is not better way to undermine ADR, than to reverse a non-arbitrary decision of an arbitrator, even where you disagree with it.

Of course the judge wants to find a settlement. Its a stupid case. A man is suing the NFL over the proper inflation levels of footballs. This is the very definition of a frivolous lawsuit. But that actually could be Goodell's ace in the hole.

The NFL has allegedly already offered Brady a compromise and he scoffed at it. They will probably make the same offer or a better one that Brady will probably decline as well which will likely not put him in the good graces of this judge. 

I thought he just denied knowing his name...I could see that in all honesty.  A lot of these athletes don't have the time to learn the names of the janitors, towel boys/girls, equipment guys, etc.  They're just there.  Unless McNally was the head guy, but I don't think he was.

He was asked if he knew him, his answer was no.

McNally worked for the team for more than 10 years, he knew him and his name. He signed stuff, he tipped him, he knew him. It's stupid to claim he didnt

Agreed that if Brady won't accept any suspension as part of the settlement and the Judge is aware of that, it likely will factor into the Judge's consideration of his appeal.  Sometimes Judges will keep themselves separate from the Mediation and will assign a Magistrate or Court Mediator to handle it so his perceptions of the case will not be affected by the behavior or positions of the parties in the mediation.  Does anyone here know if Judge Berman is going to personally handle the settlement conference(s)? 

Edit:  Berman is handling the settlement conference himself.  If Brady insists on no suspension as a part of any settlement he may be digging a hole for himself.

Who said he had to rush for the Patriots? I agree the pats help prolong this but still the NFL has a hand in this as,well. No matter if Brady cooperated or not. Waiting on the Wells report, then to make a decision, set a date for an appeal hearing then to wait on the appeal decision all took too much time.

And thats not all on the pats. And i never once said the pats were innocent so save all that apologists talk for another poster. Even though we all know some jets fans love to extrapolate anything the pats do as a federal crime..

As far as his legacy. I laugh when a some jet fan really think this is gonna damage him or the patriots long term. It wont. Still got the rings, coaches n HOF player(s)..fans gonna whine n cry about it , no problem they will just beat you like they have been doing. So oh well. Whine n cry.

Again, it's the process, it everything other than Brady is a cheater. It's Jets fans making this a "federal crime".

And sorry, ESPN has talked about his legacy taking a huge hit. Fan polls have Brady's legacy taking a big hit. His rating by advertisers,me here he is on the scale of likability, trust etc has bottomed out. But hey advertisers, fans etc, it's must a group of whiners.

Not only that, the other two 4-time SB-winning QB's did not have allegations of the kind of cheating the Pats have done to even get into the SB. In other words, Bradshaw's and Montana's rings aren't tainted.

go look up Jerry Rice admitting using stickum, go check out Bill Walsh scripting plays then pretending his headset didn't work so opponents couldn't use their headsets early in games.

go look up Jerry Rice admitting using stickum, go check out Bill Walsh scripting plays then pretending his headset didn't work so opponents couldn't use their headsets early in games.

Oh, the "everybody does it" defense.  I have never been too impressed by that one.

Yeah. Those are on the same level of infractions as pitchers who scuff up baseballs. Nothing like undermining officials' authority by tampering with the balls after they were approved; failing to cooperate with an investigation; then destroying evidence. To equate what Rice did to what happened here is tantamount to comparing a speeding ticket to robbery.

No offense, but you are too biased to see the situation objectively.  As difficult as it is for us as Jet fans to accept, spy gate has nothing to do with this. If they were not punished enough for the taping, blame the dope Goodell for his incompetence. (See a pattern here about this guy's failings as a leader?  I do.)

You say Brady was "obviously" guilty like you have inside information.  Again, you're allowing your bias to shape your opinion instead of looking at the bizarre facts of this case, and it's handling by the NFL, objectively.

The one fact that keeps bugging me is that the Ravens and NFL knew about a potential problem with the balls before the AFCCG.  Why do nothing about it?  You could test the balls just before the game and give definitive proof that the Pats tampered.  Goodell didn't do that.  Instead he let the game go on.  What?

Frankly, because of that idiots handling of the situation, I have no idea who perpetrated the act or if the air pressure was done by anyone intentionally at all.

Here, check out this experts take on how the balls were determined to be lacking in air pressure.  I gotta believe this noted scientist from Yale would kill his reputation to shill for Brady?  I never heard about this opinion.  And why didn't Wells report these findings?

Buried some 175 pages deep in the Tom Brady appeal testimony is the opinion of Edward Snyder, a Yale University professor who has an extensive background in data analysis.

His take: Exponent's science, which was cited in the Wells Report and used to reach the conclusion that intentional football deflation had occurred, is not legitimate. 

An excerpt from Snyder's testimony:

Q: What is your bottom-line takeaway from the work of the -- the statistical work of Exponent?

Snyder: "It's just not -- it's partly the setting, it's partly the impromptu protocol, but it's also the work that they have done statistically. The combination is it's not something that leads to reliable conclusions.

And, certainly, it's certainly not the kind of scientific work that I would be comfortable with reaching judgments about people. I'm in a very different situation from the Commissioner, but these are -- these are not reliable findings."

Prior to that, Snyder explained why this is his view.

Q: Did Exponent consider all of the data available to it?

Snyder: No, they did not.

Q: Would you be more specific.

Snyder: Let me give two specifics. The 12th ball, the ball intercepted by D'Qwell Jackson during the first half, it was measured by, according to the report, someone on the Colts' sideline, and then it was measured by the NFL Official, Mr. Daniel or Daniels, I believe.

And he, interestingly, he measured that ball three times with the same gauge and wrote the results on the ball.

Q: Do you remember what the results were?

Snyder: Well, I think the results -- if you included it in the analysis, it would be favorable to the

view that there was not deflation, first of all. But the other thing that I found particularly important was, to my knowledge, this was the only time during the game that officials used the same gauge and recorded three measurements.

Why is that important? Well, here, you get a sense of potential measurement error. People who are not trained to take these gauges, put them in the footballs and record temperature -- psi. So what do you see?

You see three measurements on the 12th ball and they differ by .4 psi; .4 psi is huge. So the measurement error that we are dealing with in this environment is the combination of that and the protocol. I mean, it just, it really was striking to me. And Exponent said we are not going to pay attention to the 12th ball.

Q: You had said that there was another set of data not considered by Exponent. What was that?

Snyder: The other data, and this goes back to the officials having some sense of the protocol, they measured post-game. They measured four Colts' balls. They measured four Patriots' balls.

When I saw that, I said to myself, wow, now you've got more control data. There's no possibility that between halftime and the end of the game you would have tampering with either sets of balls.

So now we have, in addition to the four Colts' balls at halftime, which I described unscientifically as a puny control group, now you have the ability to triple that with the end of the game data; excuse me; the end of the game data. But Exponent said we're not going to look at those, either.

If you feel so inclined, you can find the full transcript of the testimony here.

somehow, someway, the Pats fan last resort seems to always be "everyone does it".  Newsflash:  That sort of "defense" doesn't work.  Pfail.

Brady cheated.  Brady lied.  Brady destroyed evidence.  Kraft accepted the team punishment.  Brady and the NFLPA are wrong here.  Brady's legacy is now and will always be blemished.

Yeah. Those are on the same level of infractions as pitchers who scuff up baseballs. Nothing like undermining officials' authority by tampering with the balls after they were approved; failing to cooperate with an investigation; then destroying evidence. To equate what Rice did to what happened here is tantamount to comparing a speeding ticket to robbery.

yes, no big deal to illegally use stickum but it's the end of the world when a football is slightly underinflated.

Archived