Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Bugg

Metal Church were in London Tuesday night. I'd never seen them before, Mike Howe back singing for the first time in over 20 years. Just brilliant. A few songs off the new album, the rest almost all the classics. Amazing night.

CiNAuMLWwAAodRp.jpg

Two support acts, one Dutch thrash band who were damn good, if a little derivative, the other some Belgian band who were meh.

On 4/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

saw pearl jam in ft laudy.......super tight show, great setlist, eddie guzzled 3 bottles of wine onstage by my count and has replaced the george bush mask with a Trump one lol.......mike is a way better guitar player than i remember and basically had his whole side of the stage hyped up with his crazy antics

Saw them in Jax on 4/13. Ridiculously great show. 

• 2 weeks later...

Blind Guardian in Dublin for the first time in ten years. Another great show, the band were class, but the support act? Gloryhammer. Holy f**k, one of the most mental things I have ever seen. Sebastian Vettel's deranged cousin dressed up as some sort of discount Chinese knockoff Iron Man, guitarist who appeared to be a medieval squire, an evil wizard wannabe on keyboards, singing songs about hammer wielding space unicorns invading Dundee (I think).

And most unbelievable of all, it worked. They were excellent. But then Blind Guardian came along and blew them away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Took in 3 shows this week-

Black Sabbath at Jones Beach-a really tight band. Geezer and Iommi are great, the sub drummer is outstanding.Suspect the band is not heartbroken old and not well Bill Ward is gone.  Ozzy is Ozzy. Heck, he's better than David Lee Roth by a bunch. And he has a sense of humor and he loves what he is doing. If you go back to the 70s, and you would not  expect the Prince of Darkness to say "God bless you" 45 times a night and thank the audience profusely. A fun night.But an older and more mellow crowd than I expected. 

Zac Brown Band, Citifield- great show, tight band. Not a lot of bands, in addition to an excellent collection of country and party tunes, can cover The Who, Frank Sinatra, Van Morrison and John Mellencamp. In a way Brown is being held back for mainstream superstardom because he's so hard to fit in a box. To the idiots that run the Mets-if you sell out a concert hire more than 5 ticket takers, sheetheels. Absolutely insane that a good chunk of the audience weren't able to get in for the start only because this stadium is run so cheaply. 

Miranda Lambert and Kenny Chesney, Metlife-were busy partying did not see Old Dominion nor Sam Hunt. Solid show. Both seem a little too polished. Without looking at setlist.com would bet they both run through the same songs in exact order the whole tour. For all his talent, Chesney is a very odd duck. Lambert has that crazy girl eye thing going on. Proof that no matter how hot the woman,there is some guy some where who has had enough of her BS. 

• Upvote 3

Vektor made it to Dublin this week and played the new album in its entirety. Which, considering just how good that album is, went down a storm. The only disappointments was that the sound could have been better and some technical issues delayedthe start, meaning I had to leave before the end. Other than that, no complaints.

Support acts were pretty good, local thrash band and an English band who clearly love the entire early 1990's Florida scene - especially the more technical of those bands (Cynic, Atheist, late era Death, etc).

Saw Kamasi Washington a few weeks back, he's every bit as incredible as he sounds on wax. The band he tours with is unfairly good, particularly the bassist and trombonist. 

Only thing is you forget that every song on The Epic is like 9 to 15 minutes long, so you only get about an 8-song set. Lotta songs I wished I would have gotten to hear that he just didn't have the time to play.

Heading to Pearl Jam at Wrigley later tonight. Pretty psyched. Weather is absolutely perfect.

• 6 months later...

Kreator and Sepultura in Dublin this week. Pretty good, Sepultura were better than I expected, some of the classics, and the post Cavalera-era stuff didn't sound bad at all - but the stuff from Roots stuck out like a sore thumb. Dunno why people want the classic lineup to reunite anyways, Max Cavalera has turned into something that looks like a homeless bum that stumbles up on stage, jumps up and down a bit with a guitar with two strings missing, and wanders off.

Kreator were damned good, though too much stuff from the 2000s, as evidenced by the way the place went apesh*t when they finished off with the really old and fast stuff.

17076998_1905786269641477_48172636230280

• Upvote 2

On 3/4/2017 at 11:55 AM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Kreator and Sepultura in Dublin this week. Pretty good, Sepultura were better than I expected, some of the classics, and the post Cavalera-era stuff didn't sound bad at all - but the stuff from Roots stuck out like a sore thumb. Dunno why people want the classic lineup to reunite anyways, Max Cavalera has turned into something that looks like a homeless bum that stumbles up on stage, jumps up and down a bit with a guitar with two strings missing, and wanders off.

Kreator were damned good, though too much stuff from the 2000s, as evidenced by the way the place went apesh*t when they finished off with the really old and fast stuff.

17076998_1905786269641477_48172636230280

Dude, your avatar image just sent me into hysterics.  I did a double take.  Merging Bowles with Kotex is pure genius.  Fantastic.  Thanks for the lulz.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2015 at 11:41 AM, slats said:

. . .Recently saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Beacon, and if you're a fan, they're well worth the price of admission. Dweezil can Really play guitar, and he bring out other great guitarists to light a fire under each other. The guy doing the Zappa vocals is spot on, too. Plan to make this an annual thing. . .

Hey, slats, how've you been?  I'm sure you know about this. Damn, it's ugly.  

http://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1982286-response-to-my-brother-s-open-letter

Oh, and GO JETS!   What else. What a year.  Three bag salute. :bag: :bag: :bag: Hope you're well. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:22 AM, HighPitch said:

What do you mean? The stuff off roots sounded bad because max wasn't playing?

The stuff off Roots sounded bad because it was the stuff off Roots. :lol:

Sonata Arctica last week weren't bad, way too much slow stuff from the last couple of albums though. Band of the night were the opening act, Striker. G

• 2 weeks later...

Wane 2017 report:

blackberry smoke real good

les Brers probably the best show. Unreal guitar work by jack Pearson

turkauz was amazing

papadosio was real good

panic was so so, as usual

missed govt mule and trey

pink talking fish fun as usual

pink talking fu closed it and rocked out the tributes. The turkauz hotties sat in

finally, bob weir. I have to say I was surprised how good he sounded. Came out solo both nights for a few tunes. On Saturday night trey came out and they did a few duo acoustic tunes.....I miss you....Cassidy...million reasons.....then the band came out and busted into a great shakedown street.

i was in the first to 10 rows back for all these shows.

wanee is THE BEST

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2015 at 11:41 AM, slats said:

Saw the Who at New Orleans Jazz Fest. They were much better than I expected. Daultry still belts it out. The dude playing the drums is much more Moon than Rogers. Entwistle is much missed, however.

Recently saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Beacon, and if you're a fan, they're well worth the price of admission. Dweezil can Really play guitar, and he bring out other great guitarists to light a fire under each other. The guy doing the Zappa vocals is spot on, too. Plan to make this an annual thing.

Have a few shows coming up in the fall. Joe Jackson, Robyn Hitchcock, Tame Impala... Let's see how this thread goes and I'll report back.

Seen zpz a few times. Always good

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Miranda Lambert and Old Dominion back in February. Seeing Thomas Rhett, Dan & Shay, and Granger Smith the first weekend in June. Taste of Country Music fesitval second weekend in June with Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert and Sam Hunt as the headliners. 

Then in July I'll see Chris Stapleton for the second time. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, HighPitch said:

See i lik roots personally although its a lil departure from metal

Lil departure from metal, big departure from decent Sepultura music. it's where Max lost the plot, and sadly, never found it again. It's probably in a shampoo bottle at his house...

Been a huge fan of Oddisee for a long time and I finally got to catch him live last night. Really one of the best sets I have ever seen. He has been experimenting more and more with abstract jazz, vocal harmonies, and live instrumentation the past couple years and they are really magic on stage together.

My orange blossom jam 2017 review:

1. Th stereo type-never hear of em but good instrumental jam heavy keyboards

2. Unlimited devotion- a dea tribute band. Pretty good, but not superb

3. Applebutter express- kicked ass. Really catchy songs wouldnt be surprised they rise a bit in the country scene. 

4. Savi fernadez band had a strong set

5. Holey miss moley- i dunno, i like em but this time they got i to rapping a bit. Too much rap. Wtf? 

6. The heavy pets- wow really surprised. Did a superb "fearless" cover by pink floyd. Very fun

7.grass is dead-a bluegrass dead tribute that killed it. At this poi t i was really wasted and singing too much

Obj is a gkod little cheap festival. Byob

• 1 month later...

I really want to go see "Pete Townshend's Quadrophenia" at the Met in September.  But just like most rock shows these days, ticket prices are crazy.  Pete's 72 now so really want to catch the show which might be the last staging with him.  But even cheap seats with parking and the rest is going to run like $700.  Maybe I'd do it if Keith and John were alive.  But I can't justify spending all that coin. Fuk this world.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I really want to go see "Pete Townshend's Quadrophenia" at the Met in September.  But just like most rock shows these days, ticket prices are crazy.  Pete's 72 now so really want to catch the show which might be the last staging with him.  But even cheap seats with parking and the rest is going to run like $700.  Maybe I'd do it if Keith and John were alive.  But I can't justify spending all that coin. Fuk this world.

The same exact show with Alfie Bowe and Billy Idol recorded at Royal Albert Hall about 2 years ago runs on AXS from time to time. It's kinda fun, but understand it' more orchestra than Townsend anyway. it's a bit odd to see one guy with a guitar and an orchestra. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

The same exact show with Alfie Bowe and Billy Idol recorded at Royal Albert Hall about 2 years ago runs on AXS from time to time. It's kinda fun, but understand it' more orchestra than Townsend anyway. it's a bit odd to see one guy with a guitar and an orchestra. 

Yeah, in my heart, that's how I feel, too.  I just wanted one more quasi-Who experience until Pete decides to hang 'em up. Sounded like a fun night, especially at the Met.   

saw U2 Joshua tree tour last week at raymond james stadium and i had high expectations.  They surpassed them!  It was more of an event than a concert.  200 ft wide screen behind them and it was amazing.  I encourage all who can make this show as they tour to attend, you wont regret it.

also should add that i went to gasparilla music festival a couple months ago.  Cage the Elephant headlined and they kicked mucho ass!!! was happy for a bit listening to Ghost Faced Killa but then my buddy asked why he was playing all RZA and wu tang stuff.  kinda ruined it for me... saving grace would have been him pulling one of the wu on stage and for a moment it looked like he would.  asked they crowd who they wanted to see on stage and was a large portion of method man fans.  he brought up a little white girl to sing his parts... the end, moved onto the next stage...

• Upvote 3

I saw Dave at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, back to back nights. I've never been to a Dave show. The first night was cool; he's cool and is passionate about his music. The second night, the crowd was loaded with dudebros and he played all deep cuts sh*t and it sucked. 

For some reason, I bought tickets to Jason Isbell in New Haven. The opener did ten very loud songs that were like some sh*t you'd hear at open mic night at your local hipster pub, which put the crowd into a deep sleep. By the time Isbell came out, the crowd was shot and couldn't give a sh*t. He was fine, but doesn't really have a fastball. Think Bruce Springsteen, but if Bruce co-wrote his songs with Larry the Cable Guy. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I saw Dave at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, back to back nights. I've never been to a Dave show. The first night was cool; he's cool and is passionate about his music. The second night, the crowd was loaded with dudebros and he played all deep cuts sh*t and it sucked. 

For some reason, I bought tickets to Jason Isbell in New Haven. The opener did ten very loud songs that were like some sh*t you'd hear at open mic night at your local hipster pub, which put the crowd into a deep sleep. By the time Isbell came out, the crowd was shot and couldn't give a sh*t. He was fine, but doesn't really have a fastball. Think Bruce Springsteen, but if Bruce co-wrote his songs with Larry the Cable Guy. 

I cant think of an artist I hate more than Dave Matthews.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 6/27/2017 at 6:30 PM, T0mShane said:

Saw Isbell open for Zac Brown. His songs are kinda better than he is as a performer. 

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

Saw Isbell open for Zac Brown. His songs are kinda better than he is as a performer. 

I suppose? All the critics love him. The venue I saw him in sucks: it's always full of disinterested Yale students snapchatting the whole show.