Quincy Enunwa emerging as #3 WR

Jetman55

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow everyone's turning on Kerley now.  I remember last year when everyone wanted to rip my head off for saying it was a horrible deal and Kerley was a jag.

Cant wait for mid season when all the B Powell lovers do the same

Not everyone.  I still think he's a very good player who has struggled with horrific QB play. 

Wow everyone's turning on Kerley now.  I remember last year when everyone wanted to rip my head off for saying it was a horrible deal and Kerley was a jag.

Cant wait for mid season when all the B Powell lovers do the same

Not everyone.  I still think he's a very good player who has struggled with horrific QB play. 

I think horrible deal is a bit strong.  I thought it was a bit too much money at the time, but not crazy-crazy.  It is looking much worse now because these guys do not appear to have much use for him.   I kind of agree that he is a JAG, but he is a legit NFL player.  I was with O2T on Powell, but he has looked pretty good in camp.  These are the kinds of guys that are good to have around as a baseline, but you are trying to improve over them every year/week.

I think horrible deal is a bit strong.  I thought it was a bit too much money at the time, but not crazy-crazy.  It is looking much worse now because these guys do not appear to have much use for him.   I kind of agree that he is a JAG, but he is a legit NFL player.  I was with O2T on Powell, but he has looked pretty good in camp.  These are the kinds of guys that are good to have around as a baseline, but you are trying to improve over them every year/week.

I want to preface this statement by first saying in no way do I think Powell is anything special, but he has held off Stacy and Richardson from stealing his spot on the roster or depth chart...and I'm not sure when Ridley will be healthy enough to even try to take PT from Powell...

If the moron POS would have taken Cooks like he was supposed to,  there wouldnt be a competition for the top 3 on the depth chart.

Problem is last year giving Rex a receiver like Cooks would have been just as effective as giving a midget a yo-yo.

Problem is last year giving Rex a receiver like Cooks would have been just as effective as giving a midget a yo-yo.

Don't know if I agree with that because when we traded for Harvin, he helped the offense when he was healthy.  I think Cooks is a better pure receiver than Harvin and would have worked well with Decker.   Too bad we will never know.   

As much as I like a good Idzik bashing, I can see why he gave Kerley that contract. We had nothing at receiver and Geno Smith's numbers the year before were very different with Kerley in the lineup as opposed to the games in which he was out with the injury.

Eh.  They gave him the contract after they got Harvin.  There was no reason to lock him up at that point unless you thought he was going to be disgruntled about Harvin's impact.  There were tons of Andre Roberts type guys Idzik could have gone after with similar money and had in addition to Kerley so that they did not have to go with guys like Salas and Nelson when Decker or Kerley were dinged. The only one I even remember him having in was James Jones - who is an older guy that got a similar contract.

Eh.  They gave him the contract after they got Harvin.  There was no reason to lock him up at that point unless you thought he was going to be disgruntled about Harvin's impact.  There were tons of Andre Roberts type guys hIdzikcould have gone after with similar money and had in addition to Kerley so that they did not have to go with guys like Salas and Nelson when Decker or Kerley were dinged. The only one I even remember him having in was James Jones - who is an older guy that got a similar contract.

I guess he just felt comfortable with Kerley based on 2013, felt that Geno had a good rapport with him and didn't think the seemingly inexhaustable amount of salary cap money he had worked to accrue would be dented at all by giving Kerley that money.

I guess he just felt comfortable with Kerley based on 2013, felt that Geno had a good rapport with him and didn't think the seemingly inexhaustable amount of salary cap money he had worked to accrue would be dented at all by giving Kerley that money.

I wasn't against it at the time.  I thought the money was a bit high and it bothered me that Idzik was paying Kerley when he should have brought in another WR before the season.  I actually wanted a guy like Hester or Ginn.  I think both those guys signed in the 3/$9M range and would have provided return game, plus YAC mediocre WR that maybe Mornhinweg could use - replacements for Josh Cribbs.  He ended up giving up a draft pick and paying what he would have for a full contract of those guys to get Harvin when the season was already toast.  Lame move, but I guess he was trying to save his skin since the roster was obviously substandard.

It was one of those instances where Idzik's philosophy was probably good.  He left room for young guys and draft picks and used a shotgun approach by picking 3 WR and Amaro in a stacked WR draft.  OTOH, his execution was beyond pitiful and counting on that fidget lunatic Saunders to return punts was disastrous. 

Tannenbaum used the sniper approach, trading up to grab what he wanted.  Idzik used the shotgun spraying positions (OL in 2013, WR in 2014) neither one has done us much good. 

The team was 1-6 the day he signed that extension. He had to know already that his job status was tenuous at best, and resigning Kerley wasn't going to save it. It just wasn't something that had to be done during the season. 

I wasn't against it at the time.  I thought the money was a bit high and it bothered me that Idzik was paying Kerley when he should have brought in another WR before the season.  I actually wanted a guy like Hester or Ginn.  I think both those guys signed in the 3/$9M range and would have provided return game, plus YAC mediocre WR that maybe Mornhinweg could use - replacements for Josh Cribbs.  It was one of those instances where Idzik's philosophy was probably good.  He left room for young guys and draft picks and used a shotgun approach by picking 3 WR and Amaro in a stacked WR draft.  OTOH, his execution was beyond pitiful and counting on that fidget lunatic Saunders to return punts was disastrous. 

Tannenbaum used the sniper approach, trading up to grab what he wanted.  Idzik used the shotgun spraying positions (OL in 2013, WR in 2014) neither one has done us much good. 

Excellent points dude.  

The team was 1-6 the day he signed that extension. He had to know already that his job status was tenuous at best, and resigning Kerley wasn't going to save it. It just wasn't something that had to be done during the season. 

I'm just trying to figure out why he did it. At the time, I didn't think it was a horrible move it would be hypocritical of me to damn it in hindsight. Again, I think comfortability had alot to do with it and I always suspected he was uncomfortable dealing in the open market.

A team can never have too many competent receivers.

Even if Kerley loses out on the No. 3 job, it doesn't make sense to get rid of him.  There's no real cap issue, and guys get hurt so he'll play.

A team can never have too many competent receivers.

Even if Kerley loses out on the No. 3 job, it doesn't make sense to get rid of him.  There's no real cap issue, and guys get hurt so he'll play.

Yes and no.  If you can get something back for him it might be worth moving him.  They seem to like Owusu better and he should theoretically provide replacement value.  I kind of like Kerley, so I would probably rather keep him than have an extra 5th or 6th, but I'm not sure this staff feels the same.  He'd cost a bit to move this year though.  Normally I'd have thought they figured they knew what they had in Kerley and wanted to check other options, but the fact he seem bewildered by his role does not bode well.  Especially since Devin Smith has been out.

Before the end of the season I would expect Decker in the slot with Marshal and D. Smith on the outside

I seriously doubt it, as Devin Smith needed a lot of work on his route running .   Devin Smith missing most of training camp due to injury , had to set him back big time in his development. ( has no timing or Chemistry with the Qb's)     Probably looking at 2016  more realistic when you might see him have any impact on the Jets offense.

I seriously doubt it, as Devin Smith needed a lot of work on his route running .   Devin Smith missing most of training camp due to injury , had to set him back big time in his development. ( has no timing or Chemistry with the Qb's)     Probably looking at 2016  more realistic when you might see him have any impact on the Jets offense.

At this stage in his career, Smith's main role will be to stretch the field while Marshall and Decker work the underneath and intermediate routes.  According to reports, he was playing well early in camp, and I personally think he'll carve out a nice role in the offense by the middle of the season.  His game is going to become more refined as he gains more experience and adjusts to the speed of the NFL.

There were a large number of rookie wide receivers that had a big impact on their teams last year, and a handful of them were injured at the start of the season as well.  In my opinion, Smith has the talent to continue the trend and make an impact this year.

So far, Enunwa has one catch for six yards in the preseason but he has seen the majority of his reps with the first team.

emerging

yeah, and Chris ivory had 3 catches in our first drive...like has been said, with Fitz at QB, we have yet to complete a pass in the preseason on a ball that travels more than 8 yards in the air...while Ivory of all people looks like he'Ll catch more balls than Decker and our TES and our #3 WR all combined...

Nor sure how much Enunwa is at fault vs a QB who caNt complete passes that need to travel 9 or more yards in the air.  

However, I do believe in Chan Gailey, at least to date,  and he likes Enunwa over Kerley...so I'll go with that.

yeah, and Chris ivivory had 3 catches in our first drive...like has been said, with Fitz at QB, we have yet to compete a pass in the preseason on a ball that travels more than 8 yards in the air...while Ivory of all people looks like he'Ll catch more balls than Decker and our TES and our #3 WR all combined...

Nor sure how much Enunwa is at fault vs a QB who caNt complete passes that need to travel 9 or more yards in the air.  

However, I do believe in Chan Gailey, at least to date,  and he likes Enunwa over Kerley...so I'll go with that.

preach brother!!!!  only the jets wuld have a QB who throws the ball 8 yards !!!   unreal !!!!

At this stage in his career, Smith's main role will be to stretch the field while Marshall and Decker work the underneath and intermediate routes.  According to reports, he was playing well early in camp, and I personally think he'll carve out a nice role in the offense by the middle of the season.  His game is going to become more refined as he gains more experience and adjusts to the speed of the NFL.

There were a large number of rookie wide receivers that had a big impact on their teams last year, and a handful of them were injured at the start of the season as well.  In my opinion, Smith has the talent to continue the trend and make an impact this year.

First off Devin Smith was hurt july31,2015 .  when exactly was the start of Jets training camp( so What was it one practice he impressed in)

This isn't college anymore and just running fast  in straight line down the field , isn't going to cut it against NFL Cb's.   

The Wr you mention succeeding early last year were  may more advanced than Devin Smith is right now.  ( again Devin Smith route running needs a lot of work) Jmo I think you're dreaming if you really think he going to be very effective this year.    

So far this regime has awarded him the #3 slot but based on the 2 PS games so far, I'm not sure why. Kerley has dependable hands, good route runner and is adept at picking up YAC. He's not great at any one thing but I would say he is a good overall WR. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerley supplants Enunwa if he doesn't get off to a hot start in the first few games of the reg. season. 

Not really.  Practice performance counts too.  They have just had a training camp and seen a lot of both

First off Devin Smith was hurt july31,2015 .  when exactly was the start of Jets training camp( so What was it one practice he impressed in)

This isn't college anymore and just running fast  in straight line down the field , isn't going to cut it against NFL Cb's.   

The Wr you mention succeeding early last year were  may more advanced than Devin Smith is right now.  ( again Devin Smith route running needs a lot of work) Jmo I think you're dreaming if you really think he going to be very effective this year.    

Let's return to this topic after the bye week.  I'm sure how he fits in Gailey's game plan will be based on his strengths as he refines his areas for development.  He'll be in certain packages, but let's see if he's successful how he is used once Gailey gets a hold of him.

his rookie season is lost.  he missed mini camp due to his baby momma giving birth, and all of training camp with an injury.  he will be waaay behind and probably have a hammy injury to boot

the myth about his route running is one of those "lies told often enough becomes the tuth".  he is so damned good at tracking the deep ball that ohio state had him do that a lot

he can run the whole tree

yeah, and Chris ivory had 3 catches in our first drive...like has been said, with Fitz at QB, we have yet to complete a pass in the preseason on a ball that travels more than 8 yards in the air...while Ivory of all people looks like he'Ll catch more balls than Decker and our TES and our #3 WR all combined...

WAH!!!!!

Remember the preseason we had in 2012 when we didn't score a td in 4 games and then took a giant dump on Buffalo in week 1?  Yeah I do.

I want new blood at #3. The Kerley experiment should be over. As decent as he is, he simply can't stay healthy. I also question his heart because he misses multiple games every year. I also prefer Enunwa or even Shaq over Kerley. Theyre bigger dudes.

I want new blood at #3. The Kerley experiment should be over. As decent as he is, he simply can't stay healthy. I also question his heart because he misses multiple games every year. I also prefer Enunwa or even Shaq over Kerley. Theyre bigger dudes.

Really?  Every year? Kerley has missed 6 of 64 games as a pro. Two games as a rookie, and then four games in '13 when his arm get bent the wrong way at a 90-degree angle. Because of that you question his heart?

Really?  Every year? Kerley has missed 6 of 64 games as a pro. Two games as a rookie, and then four games in '13 when his arm get bent the wrong way at a 90-degree angle. Because of that you question his heart?

You beat me to it lol Kerley puts his heart out for us every season, the kid will never be an elite receiver but he plays as hard as he can for us. Since he has been here he has been one of our most durable and reliable wrs. I don't get all the Kerley hate it doesn't add up.

Does that include the games where he's on the field but doesn't show up anywhere in the box score? 

Does that include the games where he's on the field but doesn't show up anywhere in the box score? 

Yup...QB play has been so bad with Geno that you never know if it's the receiver or the QB preventing several players from being productive.

Yup...QB play has been so bad with Geno that you never know if it's the receiver or the QB preventing several players from being productive.

This staff might disagree with you. They had Geno pencilled in to start, and have Kerley hovering around the bubble. 

This staff might disagree with you. They had Geno pencilled in to start, and have Kerley hovering around the bubble. 

They do indeed.  Odd since Kerley has been the far better pro, but it's not the first time a CS has favored potential over production.

Archived