Newsday: Jets claimed S Ronald Martin from SEA

C Mart

Biography

HOW ACQUIRED:

Signed as an undrafted rookie free agent on May 8, 2015.

COLLEGE: Started 21 of 37 games played for the Tigers, including all 13 his senior season when he collected a career-high 73 tackles, two ints. and nine passes defensed. Had 149 career tackles, five interceptions and 15 passes defensed.

PERSONAL: Participated in four sports at White Castle HS – football, basketball, baseball and track. Earned first-team all-state honors in football and basketball. Played QB and safety and led team to the class 1A state title as a senior. Threw for more than 1,400 yards and rushed for more than 1,100 yards and 25 total touchdowns on offense his senior year. Tallied nine interceptions to go along with 15 passes defensed. An all-district performer in baseball as a pitcher and outfielder. Anchored both sprint relays and ran the 400 meters. Posted 44 feet in triple jump and 23 feet in the long jump in track. Born on February 26, 1993.

I will never understand the logic of some of these moves, picking up cut UDFAs from other teams to replace players that went through all of training camp and made the initial 53.

if the player is deemed better by the CS / FO and fits your scheme or anticipated role better why not. 

I marvel at all the would be GMs who know that Miles has to be better than Martin and the Jets just made a mistake. People sure are funny.

I've only heard about Martin for the first time today, so it's not like I'm in a position to judge. :)

I've only heard about Martin for the first time today, so it's not like I'm in a position to judge. :)

but of course the Jets can't judge even after watching Miles up close for months. If the brain trust can't be trusted on this one - we're doomed.

They cut Miles after picking up Martin. Miles played very well in preseason, he deserves to be on the 53 man roster. Wish they would have picked someone else to cut. 

OK Coach. 

Look at it this way. Miles now has the chance to be claimed by another team and their 53 man roster. If he isn't he'll most likely end up on Jets or some other teams PS 

I will never understand the logic of some of these moves, picking up cut UDFAs from other teams to replace players that went through all of training camp and made the initial 53.

After a player has made it through training camp the coaching staff has a good idea of what that player is in their system, the ones at the bottom end of the initial 53 might be below average players in this specific system and they might want to take a look at someone elses cut UDFA to see if that player could atleast be average? We picked up Marcus Williams last year who the Texans cut (he was a UDFA) and he is actually pretty decent on our team.

6'2"  220#........ prototypical size for a S

4.63 Pro day 40

GRADE
5.05?

• 6'2"HEIGHT
    • 220LBS.WEIGHT

OVERVIEW

Earned LSU's Mike Miley Leadership Award and the Most Improved Award based on his hard work and effort during spring drill.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.65 and 4.63 seconds 
    Vertical jump: 33 1/2 inches 
    Broad jump: 10 feet, 1 inch

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Physical, box-safety linebacker. Plays through the whistle and relishes contact. Played as an additional linebacker against physical, run-based teams in Wisconsin and Arkansas. Disengages quickly in run support and will take on blockers to keep contain when called on. Can cover tight ends and shows adequate ball skills. Reacts quickly to throws in his area. Emotional leader on the field.

WEAKNESSES

Average athlete with average play speed. Has coverage limitations. Struggles when asked to match up with speed in space. He's a tick slow to get through his route recognition at times. Shows some reckless traits in open field as a tackler. Steams downhill at suspect angles. Short-area change of direction issues limit him as a tackler against running backs with shake.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE

Loves football and brings physicality and competitiveness to each snap. Limited in coverage and as a functional athlete. His best bet is to make it as a situational sub and core special-teamer.
    -Lance Zierlein

C
    GRADE TITLE
    9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
    8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro
    7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
    7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
    6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
    6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
    5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
    5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
    5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster
    5.00 50-50 Chance to make NFL roster
    4.75-4.99 Should be in an NFL training camp
    4.50-4.74 Chance to be in an NFL training camp
    NO GRADE Likely needs time in developmental league.

COMMENTS

How did guys like Powell Owusu and Miles not make the cut but our 7th rounder Simon did. Preseason games really don't mean anything. I trust Mac to put together the best 53 possible though. 

They all play different positions. What does Simon have to do with WRs and safeties? Also, Owusu is back. Miles was dropped for another safety. Getting upset over the 4th safety is kind of silly at this point. 

you don't understand the logic of a deep super bowl contending roster bubble player being better than a 4 win team roster bubble player?  Huh.  Makes sense to me.  

I went to a Seahawks fan page and seems like to me they were pissed when Martin was cut which tells me that Seattle's FO was trying to sneek Martin back onto their own practice squad and he got ... got......

Here is one Seahawk fan's take:

"Really, really strange that kept Terrill and Tukafu over Ronald Martin and Ty McGill. Don't agree, but I'm not watching them practice everyday like the coaches"http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112860&start=100

Here is another quote from another Seahawk fan:

"I like .....Ronald Martin, he arrives at the point of impact in a bad mood. Scheme can be taught, quickness, strength and instinct not so much."

Maybe that is why we got him that last comment is telling...

Interesting....

I'll help.  They don't have a hard on love affair for some of the scrubs fans do. Mother like the guy they picked up more than the guy who was cut.  

first we all scream loudly what how great it is to have a personnel guy as our GM but we question why he picks a different player over a Idzik guy.  Help me with that.  

They cut Miles after picking up Martin. Miles played very well in preseason, he deserves to be on the 53 man roster. Wish they would have picked someone else to cut. 

Their standards and the bar they are setting is pretty high.  Thats a good thing.  Sure it sucks cuz he played his heart out and did well but at the end of the day they are looking for something better, never satisfied.

Their standards and the bar they are setting is pretty high.  Thats a good thing.  Sure it sucks cuz he played his heart out and did well but at the end of the day they are looking for something better, never satisfied.

I don't think that you can overstate your point enough.

Doesn't everyone recall Idzik in his state of the team address saying that the team had "more than enough talent to win."

Is that what we want, a FO and coach that is boarderline delusional in their thinking and evaluation of their own roster?

A FO willing to keep marginal CFL players just prove that they are right?

Thank God we have moved beyond such a loser mentality. 

Will Mac get everything right? NO!!!!!

But we will know that he is always and constantly looking to upgrade his roster and not his portfolio of "his guys." 

Archived