Fitzpatrick 20 td 10 ints?

Ray Mickens 24

Hate to be an evil Nostradamus here but Petty will be behind center by half time of the cleveland game and we will be faced with a Genoaplooza the whole year.

Don't ask how i know.....just a queasy feeling...

Have you seen our protection?  Not worried at all unless Fitz decides to channel his inner Tyrod.  Fitz will have 3+ seconds to throw balls all game long.

Being limited by injury is part of the package a player brings to the table.  RG3 is immensely talented but can't stay healthy.  It's a man's game.  And Chad wasn't all that talented.  He didn't have a strong throwing arm even before his injuries, and was exposed by the Raiders in that 2002 season.  Dude was a check-down machine who played well against weaker opposition but struggled mightily (to say the least) the minute he faced a legitimate defense.

Ah, confusing talent with arm strength.  So Montana, Young, Brees aren't talented QBs?  Chad was a talented QB. He had a bad half against the Raiders.  After he lost his top two WRs for most of the half.  Who cares, no one cried he was exposed at the time.  Injuries ruined any chance he had.  The kill our own player mentality forgets he had back to back unreal games vs a 12 or so win Favre GB team and put up 41 against Mannings Colts with a perfect QB rating. 

We we all have opinions, I'm not going to try and convince you he had talent

Ah, confusing talent with arm strength.  So Montana, Young, Brees aren't talented QBs?  Chad was a talented QB. He had a bad half against the Raiders.  After he lost his top two WRs for most of the half.  Who cares, no one cried he was exposed at the time.  Injuries ruined any chance he had.  The kill our own player mentality forgets he had back to back unreal games vs a 12 or so win Favre GB team and put up 41 against Mannings Colts with a perfect QB rating. 

We we all have opinions, I'm not going to try and convince you he had talent

I was at the 41-0 Jets-Colts game, and even I recognize Chad was nothing special.  He was a dumpoff machine.  Doesn't take talent to do that.  Chad had much less arm strength than any of the supposedly weak-armed QB's you listed.  He couldn't throw a 15-yard out without a CB jumping the route.  Good defenses figured him out quickly.  He never once beat a good defense.

It amazes me more that you watched the games and actually believe Sanchez won those 4 playoff games, that the wins were on him more than team wins

I don't believe "he won" those 4 playoff games, I KNOW he was a big part of helping his team win those 4 playoff games.

If Fitz throws his average comp %, and has 20 TD's to 10 INT's, we are a playoff contender IMO.

Our biggest weakness the last few years, under Geno and Sanchez, was turnovers leading to opponents scores, either pick 6's, fumble-6's or set-up's deep in jets territory.

If we can avoid that, with this talent, we should be a borderline 9-10 win team.

I simply do not buy the 4-6 win theory.

I fully expect to be sorely disappointed holding such an "optimistic" viewpoint tho, I admit.

+1

I have not been optimistic with my PS predictions for the Jets for the past 4 years but this year I am.

I see a 9-10 win team also.

I don't think Fitz is going to throw the pick 6's that Sanchez and Geno would do once a quarter which killed us over the last 4 years.

If the defense holds up like I think it will, Fitz doesn't have to be Dan Marino and if he  just doesn't turn it over like his predecessors - we should be competitive.

My biggest concern is Special Teams.  As long as we don't get dominated there we'll be okay.

If Ftiz has a great year, we are in the playoffs.  If Geno comes back, I'll be worried.

He's thrown over 20tds 3x already on his career but the folks who know everything say he's worse  than Chad.

20tds 10 ints and 3,500 yards gets us to 9+ wins

You took half the story and ran with it. Yeah, Ryan threw for 20 or more TD's but he's never thrown for 20TD's while throwing for just 10INT's or less.  

The 3 times he threw for 20 or more TD's ( 23 and 24 twice) he threw 15, 16 and 23 ints. So yea, he was worse than Chad when it comes to turning the ball over and never, EVER making the playoffs. 

Chad played for two teams and made the playoffs with both. Fitzpatrick has played with 5 prior teams before becoming a Jet and has never made the playoffs and has never won more than 6 games in a season. 

Speaking of Chad Pennington, the last two teams to win the AFC East division title "Not being the Patriots" were The Dolphins in 2008 and the Jets in 2002. Chad Pennington was the QB for both those teams. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt even comparable to Chad Pennington, and that's with the fact that Pennington had a weak arm. 

Lastly, the closest Ryan Fitzpatrick got to 20TD's 10INT's was last year (17TD's 8 INT's) and his record was 6-5 as a starter and 6 of those 17 TD's came in 1 game against the 2-14 Tennessee Titans. 

You can have your opinion about Fitz, but he's never been on Chad's level. When Fitz puts together 22TD's to 6INT, completing 70% of his passes, a rating of 104.2 while winning the AFCE division then torching Manning in the Playoffs 41 to 0 then we can talk

I was at the 41-0 Jets-Colts game, and even I recognize Chad was nothing special.  He was a dumpoff machine.  Doesn't take talent to do that.  Chad had much less arm strength than any of the supposedly weak-armed QB's you listed.  He couldn't throw a 15-yard out without a CB jumping the route.  Good defenses figured him out quickly.  He never once beat a good defense.

every season Chad was relatively healthy he led his team to the playoffs. Since Brady became the starter in NE the Pats have won every div title except 2- the other 2 Chad Pennington led his teams to div titles.

In 2002 he led us to a big win at Foxboro to prevent NE from winning  another div title.  NE wouldn't lose again at home for 3 years.

NE never had good Ds? GB? Mia? Ten? SD? Buf? etc...

it boggles my mind how unappreciated Chad was.  I get being frustrated that he was always hurt but on the field he continually gave us chance to win.

every season Chad was relatively healthy he led his team to the playoffs. Since Brady became the starter in NE the Pats have won every div title except 2- the other 2 Chad Pennington led his teams to div titles.

In 2002 he led us to a big win at Foxboro to prevent NE from winning  another div title.  NE wouldn't lose again at home for 3 years.

it boggles my mind how unappreciated Chad was.  I get being frustrated that he was always hurt but on the field he continually gave us chance to win.

For once and perhaps the 1st and only time I agree with you.  Pennington was a good QB, poor arm but he got the job done, was very smart and ran the offense crisply.  I'd take him at his best right now no questions asked.

Why does everybody think you have to suck to get a decent QB? Who are the top QBs in the NFL?

Top Tier: Brady - 6th round, Brees - 2nd round/FA, Rodgers -  bottom third of the first, Peyton - 1st overall/FA

Next Tier includes: Luck - 1st overall, Wilson - 3rd round, Romo - UDFA

Do you guys really condone intentionally losing so that you could get the next Kerry Collins or Carson Palmer?  Yeah, Eli won the super bowl.  Huzzah, so did Roethlisberger #11 overall and Flacco #18.

You were at different games than I was apparently.  Chad did throw downfield

And Montana etc had arms to better than Chad, before his arm was shredded

Why does everybody think you have to suck to get a decent QB? Who are the top QBs in the NFL?

Top Tier: Brady - 6th round, Brees - 2nd round/FA, Rodgers -  bottom third of the first, Peyton - 1st overall/FA

Next Tier includes: Luck - 1st overall, Wilson - 3rd round, Romo - UDFA

Do you guys really condone intentionally losing so that you could get the next Kerry Collins or Carson Palmer?  Yeah, Eli won the super bowl.  Huzzah, so did Roethlisberger #11 overall and Flacco #18.

I think the key is increase your chances by drafting all QBs in every round for next 10 years :)

I wish people would stop pointing out that "Average QBs have won before" and "Dilfer..." 

This version of the NFL is entirely different. Dilfer wouldn't win jack today. The modern NFL is entirely about two things: the QB and your ability to exploit the incompetence of the officals/NFL main office.

I can't remember on JI was it Chad or Martin?

Here lately its Mo :rolleyes:

That depends. According to Savage, it was Martin. According to CTM, Yellin, SAR, myself, and a plethora of others, it was Chad.

And Mo is an excellent player. He isn't J.J. Watt, but then again neither is anyone else.

Hope not.  Fitz just needs to stay upright this week.  Next week Flynn returns to the roster as the backup.

NFL players can only collect termination pay once, and Flynn has already collected his. If the Jets wanted him as a temporary backup, they could have him on the opening day roster without worrying about his entire year's salary being guaranteed. Maybe they'll look to sign Flynn after (if!) Fitzpatrick gets hurt, but they appear to be willing to run with Petty as the #2 until Geno gets back. 

I agree with this.

Chad's problem was not his talent and on-field ability.  It was his health and his post-multiple-injury arm strength,

I wish people would stop pointing out that "Average QBs have won before" and "Dilfer..." 

This version of the NFL is entirely different. Dilfer wouldn't win jack today. The modern NFL is entirely about two things: the QB and your ability to exploit the incompetence of the officals/NFL main office.

Did anybody say Dilfer?  The NFL is completely different?  That's nice.  DIlfer is the highest drafted QB not named Manning to win the super bowl since Elway.  Nobody is saying you don't need excellent QB play to win in the NFL, I am saying look at how the QBs were acquired.

Since Dilfer #6 overall signed as FA to back up Tony Banks you have Brady (6th round), Roethlisberger #11, Manning + Manning both #1 overall, Brees (2nd rounder signed as FA), Rodgers #24, Flacco #18 and Wilson (3rd round).  Runners up that never won the super bowl in the same time span include: 2nd rounder Kaepernick, UDFA Kurt Warner who signed as FA 2 teams removed from his super bowl win.  The Cards first signed him on a 1-year deal, Rex Grossman III #22, Matt Hasselbeck a 6th rounder acquired in a trade (#10 + 3rd for Hasselbeck + #17 + 7th), McNabb #2, UDFA and NFLEurope veteran Jake Delhomme who was signed from the Saints (who were happy with Aaron Brooks) to back up Rodney Peete, and Rich Gannon a 4th rounder of the Vikings who was traded to the Skins for a conditional 5th, then signed with the Chiefs to split snaps with Elvis Grbac, then back to FA to sign with the Raiders where he lost the super bowl.  The Mannings, McNabb and Dilfer are the only guys taken in the top 10.  

You need good QB play to win in the NFL.  The problem is that people seem to think that  you need #1 overall to get good QB play.

20/10-ish will be just fine, so long as the running game stays intact.  I think we are going just as far as Ivory can carry us, so long as there isn't a massive QB implosion (taking points off the board and giving opponents easy scores).  Ivory is the crux of the biscuit.

20 and 10 on the surface looks great to me but blindly seeing those #s doesn't mean a heck of a lot.  is he throwing mostly TDs when we are down big late? is he throwing back breaking INts in that group of 10? there's more to it than raw #s.

bro ... If every pick is a pick6 ...and every TD is a 1 yard screen pass .... It is still worlds better than what we've had the last 6 years

20 and 10 on the surface looks great to me but blindly seeing those #s doesn't mean a heck of a lot.  is he throwing mostly TDs when we are down big late? is he throwing back breaking INts in that group of 10? there's more to it than raw #s.

This same "analysis" also proves that Mark's 26 turnovers in each of 2011 and 2012 weren't really bad and he actually had two sparkling seasons, right, Junc??

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Increase your chances sure, but it is still no sure thing.  If Idzik couldn't find a WR last year, you can **** up anything.

Of course there are no guarantees, but QB is so ridiculously important taking one shot every 3 years is not very wise imho

Fitzy is what he is, an average nfl qb.  He could go 20 and 10.  But are 4 of thise picks backbreakers that lose games fo us.  Are 10 of those tds in garbage time that dont matter.

you cant just throw numbers out there and guess on if thats enough to get is to the playoffs.

average NFL quarterbacks don't get traded for 7th round picks

Archived