Looking forward at our QB situation.

Patriot Killa

So let's say Fitz plays the remainder of the season. He is 32.. How much longer could he game manage for us? needless If that plays out, we can safely assume Geno is done as a Jet. Is Petty ready to go? Do we draft one of the top QB's and let Petty and said QB battle it out? Where do we go from next season on?

Fitz looks like he can be more than just a game manager for us. The 43 yard pass to Owasu and the TD pass to Decker can attest to that. I never saw Sachez make passes like that who is a true game manager QB type. They key with Fitz is him staying healthy. If he does, let him play as long as we see we are progressing/winning with him at the helm or until Petty is ready to start. Geno probably won't start again for us unless Fitz gets hurt or we start losing where it is clearly from the play of the QB position.

People have WAY more confidence in Fitz than is remotely warranted based on previous his previous history. I think it is very unlikely he starts the season for any of many reasons and Geno will get his shot..

Maybe the Browns or Texans or some CFL team. Fortunately not with the Jets.

Fitzpatrick, Petty, an offseason vet and a 2016 drafted QB will compete for the QB job next offseason

Geno will get his exit ticket punched in January

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Do we have a franchise QB, no.  There are only half a dozen of those on the planet so that is not a shocker.  Is our QB situation looking better than it has in some time, yes.

Fitz just might be the game manager were been asking all during the Rex era.

Petty gets to sit and learn which once again we've all been asking for.

Geno is the wild card.  He apparently was outplaying a leg weary Fitz during preseason.  Maybe Gaily saves his career as a starter or maybe not, the jury is still out.  He's still a credible backup QB so unless those wheels come off the tracks he's not being released by the FO any time soon.  BTW, when was the last time we had a credible backup, never.               

Geno is the wild card.  He apparently was outplaying a leg weary Fitz during preseason.  Maybe Gaily saves his career as a starter or maybe not, the jury is still out.       

That's it.  We don't know if Geno gets another shot or not.  The coach has said that Fitz is the QB as long as the Jets are winning games and the offense is doing all right, so that's that.  My guess is that Geno likely gets in there at some point, but if we're headed for an 11-5 or 10-6 season under Fitz, then Geno probably doesn't get in there.

The coaching staff was impressed enough with Petty's early development that they felt comfortable not carrying a veteran backup for the time that Geno remains sidelined. That tells me a lot. I expect him to challenge for the starting job next year. 

I hope Fitz sticks around for a few years in a backup/mentor role. He's an asset in that capacity. I think some conclusions are being drawn from a week one game against a team that will probably be in the running for the first pick in the draft next year. Jets had a ton of takeaways, one of which turned Fitz's own interception (a bad pass) into a positive play for the team. The defense isn't going to force a fumble and knock the other team's starting QB out of the game just before he crosses the goal line every week. The rest of the team enabled him to sit back and manage the game. That's not going to be enough most weeks. 

Also think it's way too early to completely write Geno off. He was their #1 QB from the moment the new regime took over the team, right up until IK connected with his jaw. They still may want to see him under center. 

The coaching staff was impressed enough with Petty's early development that they felt comfortable not carrying a veteran backup for the time that Geno remains sidelined. That tells me a lot. I expect him to challenge for the starting job next year. 

I hope Fitz sticks around for a few years in a backup/mentor role. He's an asset in that capacity. I think some conclusions are being drawn from a week one game against a team that will probably be in the running for the first pick in the draft next year. Jets had a ton of takeaways, one of which turned Fitz's own interception (a bad pass) into a positive play for the team. The defense isn't going to force a fumble and knock the other team's starting QB out of the game just before he crosses the goal line every week. The rest of the team enabled him to sit back and manage the game. That's not going to be enough most weeks. 

Also think it's way too early to completely write Geno off. He was their #1 QB from the moment the new regime took over the team, right up until IK connected with his jaw. They still may want to see him under center. 

I agree with most of this except the timeline for Petty.  I am thinking me may need two years seasoning before he is ready and that leaves the front office with some decisions about how to structure the depth chart for next year.  All of this assuming we stay relatively healthy from here on in at the position.

So let's say Fitz plays the remainder of the season. He is 32.. How much longer could he game manage for us? needless If that plays out, we can safely assume Geno is done as a Jet. Is Petty ready to go? Do we draft one of the top QB's and let Petty and said QB battle it out? Where do we go from next season on?

He wasnt a game manager a week ago, why start now?

Fitz looks like he can be more than just a game manager for us. The 43 yard pass to Owasu and the TD pass to Decker can attest to that. I never saw Sachez make passes like that who is a true game manager QB type. They key with Fitz is him staying healthy. If he does, let him play as long as we see we are progressing/winning with him at the helm or until Petty is ready to start. Geno probably won't start again for us unless Fitz gets hurt or we start losing where it is clearly from the play of the QB position.

asking fitz to be more than a game manager is asking too much. sanchez was not a game manager, he was a maddeningly inconsistent gun slinger who never developed into anything. he was a better prospect than petty but we didn't have the luxury of letting him sit for a year or two. I wish we could have resigned favre so sanchez could have gotten a better chance to develop before being thrown out there

Archived