We Have Finally Replaced Keyshawn Johnson

SoFlaJets

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had good receivers here since Keyshawn--maybe even better.  Chrebet, Coles, Cotchery, and even Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  

But, I agree that Brandon Marshall is the best receiver we have had here in a very long time.  Maybe since Don Maynard.

Not one  of those WR's was even remotely close to Keyshawn. Stats do not show how important Keyshawn was to this offense and yes its very similar to what we have now in Marshall only difference is Marshall IS better than Key. What these guys bring is the security that a QB can throw the ball in their vicinity and they WILL go up and fight for it with Huge height advantages and strength advantages. None of those other WR's had those abilities and when moving the chains and keeping drives alive that's the most important thing a WR can do. When Keyshawn left, Chrebet had a fairly large drop off in production and the entire offense was effected in a negative way. The next time Vinny Played he was not the same guy because that huge advantage was taken away from him. Fitz is now benifiting from that huge advantage and hopefully will continue too because he never had that type of player other than what most believe is a washed up Andre Johnson.

Even alluding that Wallace Wright isn't a playmaker is a bannable offense. Tread very lightly here.  :)

How about Lefty Larry's boy Windrell Hayes? I only made it up to 2009 because we had to take my mother shopping...I was going to edit the post and bring it up to date but got caught up over on YouTube where I found some guy who had a superb YT Channel of obscure treasures that I started posting over on a Facebook music page i belong to-busy as hell for somebody who's got nuttin' to do and nowhere to do it.

What?  So a RB shouldn't be expected to produce when his team needs him to?  We were counting on Curtis Martin that game and he responded with a 13 carry, 14 yard day, with a lost fumble.  On the other side, John Elway had an awful game, but Terrell Davis carried them to a comeback victory, with 167 yards on 32 carries.  Clearly Terrell handled the pressure of the moment just fine.

Bad games happen, even to the greats.  But that was a horrendous game, easily Curtis's biggest blemish.  And it helped cost us a Super Bowl appearance.  Hence why people have a case when they argue Curtis was overrated by Jets fans.  He was a great guy, did a lot of things well, and maybe even deserved the Hall of Fame.  But he cost us when it mattered most.  Sucks.

And after that who fumbled in the first game of the next season that Vinny blew out his Achilles trying to recover it ?? :P

Geez nyjunc tough crowd huh? Look, all I know is there was a big void after KJ split for Tampa Bay and it took all the way up until Braylon Edwards to come anywhere CLOSE to that type of receiver. Love him or hate him whatever you want but the truth is that we hadn't gotten another like him until now.

2010-Patrick Turner, Santonio Holmes

2011-Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Jeremy Kerley

2012-Clyde Gates, Chaz Schillens, Stephen Hill,

2013-David Nelson, Greg Salas

2014-Percy Harvin, Eric Decker, TJ Graham, Jalen Saunders, Walt Powell

WOW!!! That's all I can say

and you can see where it really comes through on the ProFootball Reference site that i use a lot with these kind of threads. It has how many times a receiver was targeted and how many balls he caught. Guys like Marshall and Decker this year alone....

Marshall                              Decker ....that's targeted catches yds avg and TDs

19 13 163 12.5 2  
14 10 134 13.4 2    

Hey 3.5 ypc and 8 td's was considered great in 1998, so if a fan loves a certain player any stat the player does will be great.. I always wondered if Cotchery was great like many Jet fans said what was Jerry Rice??

Thank you!!!

Folks are insane!!!  KJ was Great!!  The WR  of almost twenty years ago were facing much different rules than now.  

You let KJ play under these don't touch me rules of today you would see what he would do. 

We have had good receivers here since Keyshawn--maybe even better.  Chrebet, Coles, Cotchery, and even Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  

But, I agree that Brandon Marshall is the best receiver we have had here in a very long time.  Maybe since Don Maynard.

Do you happen to know who the last Jets WR who made the Pro Bowl was? I'll give you one guess....(cue the Jeopardy theme) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wi8Fv0AJA4  and your final answer please....

It has only taken us since the 2000 season but Brandon Marshall according to Ryan Fitzpatrick on Jets Open Mic "Always wants me to throw him the ball". Sort of reminds one of a certain book title doesn't it?

I thought we had done it when Braylon Edwards was signed but mysteriously the Rex Ryan/Mike Tannenbaum led Jets never saw the importance of having a dominant player who COULD deliver, instead opting for troublemakers who helped in destroying what was once an almost-there team. Here are some of the players who were brought in to try and make up for the chasm that KJ's departure left; (noting that we already had Chrebet, Coles, and Dedric Ward here)

2000-Vincent Brisby, Dwight Stone, Windrell Hayes (draftee)

2001-Mathew Hatchette, Kevin Swayne, Craig Yeast

2002-Santana Moss (non-factor in his rookie year due to injury)

2003- Curtis Conway, Jonathan Carter, Kevin Lockett

2004-Justin McCairens, Jerricho Cotchery

2005- Lav. Coles (brought back) Doug Jolley (hybrid crappy TE/WR/FB)<----ultimate failure

2006-Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

2007-nothing new

2008-Chansi Stuckey,

2009-Braylon Edwards, David Clowney,

Cool now all we have to do is replace Namath and Superbowl

Marshall is better than Keyshawn was. The only thing similar is that they are big targets, and that really helps a quarterback - you just throw the ball up and know there's a good chance your guy comes down with it. Eli has lived off that for years now. Geno never had it - his tall guys like Nelson and Hill weren't good enough, and the rest of his receivers were midgets.

Cool now all we have to do is replace Namath and Superbowl

true, the thing is the Jets have yet to draft a franchise QB in this generation. The last true franchise QB the Jets had (and I'm sure this could and deserves to be debated) was Kenny O'Brien. O'Brien was a Jets QB for 9 seasons and was a starter in every one of those seasons 106 games to be exact and his record as a starting Jets QB was 50-55-1. OK, not an earth shattering record.

Now the reason I'm going ahead and calling Kenny O'Brien a 'franchise quarterback' is because as a Jet he had 124 TDs  95 INTs  58.8 Comp% 25,000 YDs his number are much better than Richard Todd's who came before him and better than Chad Pennington's who came after him and wasn't even close; except of course, the one stat that we foolish homers hung our collective hats on in the Pennington vs Brady wars over at JetsInsider his 65.6 CMP% whoop dee doo. Then of course we also have Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Glenn Foley, Browning Nagle, All I have to say is how different would the 90's had been had the Jets kept and developed Troy Taylor who had a 60% CMP and also a 2 TDs  for every 1 INT...(FTR Troy Taylor was a 4th round DP in the 1990 Jets draft threw 20 passes over the 2 seasons and completed 12 of them had 2 TDs and 1 INTand never started a game)

What I meant to say after all of this schlock was that the New York Jets are DUE to find themselves another franchise QB, I have my hopes that it will be Bryce Petty, the kid looks pretty damn good from what I've seen.

Curtis was playing hurt in 1998, it was one of his worst seasons w/ us but he was still vital to our success.

Key in '99 had Rick Mirer, Ray Lucas and Tom Tupa throwing him passes.  he was GREAT in 1999, #s never tell the whole story.

and Keyshawn always said 1997 was his rookie year because he learned nothing in 1996. The guy only played for the Jets for four years. He personally won that Jacksonville playoff game and really kept his mouth shut and hustled and worked hard for 3 out of the 4 years. I liked Keyshawn.

blind #s, that's all you got.  36 carries is a lot and we did have a big lead and were trying to hold on to it(as the D was trying to blow it).  

I love that you never want to talk numbers but consider your impression of what you see as FACT. 

I have an easier time than savage.  I just blame Parcells that underbellied carpet bagger.

I love that you never want to talk numbers but consider your impression of what you see as FACT. 

I have an easier time than savage.  I just blame Parcells that underbellied carpet bagger.

I trust my eyes more than #s. to say Curtis wasn't good in that game just isn't being fair.  you want to bash him for the title game go ahead but again show me where he had any room to run?

I trust my eyes more than #s. to say Curtis wasn't good in that game just isn't being fair.  you want to bash him for the title game go ahead but again show me where he had any room to run?

Wait, what game are we talking about?  The title game when he had 13 carries for 14 yards?  A HOF RB should be able to do better than that playing 1 against 11.  I know, I know, it was windy.

Wait, what game are we talking about?  The title game when he had 13 carries for 14 yards?  A HOF RB should be able to do better than that playing 1 against 11.  I know, I know, it was windy.

first off he only had 13 carries, 2nd watch the game and show me where his yards were expected to come from?  he was hit in the backfield on every play.  Barry sanders once averaged minus yardage in a playoff game- did he suck?

Brayoln Edwards was a pretty close substitute for his good year he had with us.  He was pretty beastly.

Braylon was up there but remember in 2009 we got him after 4 games and he had a ton of drops.  in 2010 he was really good and sure handed. unfortunately he was gone after that.

first off he only had 13 carries, 2nd watch the game and show me where his yards were expected to come from?  he was hit in the backfield on every play.  Barry sanders once averaged minus yardage in a playoff game- did he suck?

In that game?  Yes, he certainly did suck.  Second off, when I said 13 carries for 14 yards, why did I have to be told "first off he had only 13 carries"?  Like I said, I blame Parcells.  That fat ****'s well coached machine spit up a 10 point lead in less than 2 minutes.  Right after my Giants fan cousin told me "This game is in the bag, Parcells and Belichick never lose with a double digit second half lead".  I don't have to watch that game again.  I have watched it enough times and each time I thought, JEEZ this guy ******* blows today.  I remember sarcastically cheering - "Yay!  Another one yard run"  I also remember watching Terrell Davis and saying "That is what a pro bowl RB is supposed to do" I cursed the offensive line too, but if you are just going to get what they give you then there is no use for a HOF RB

In that game?  Yes, he certainly did suck.  Second off, when I said 13 carries for 14 yards, why did I have to be told "first off he had only 13 carries"?  Like I said, I blame Parcells.  That fat ****'s well coached machine spit up a 10 point lead in less than 2 minutes.  Right after my Giants fan cousin told me "This game is in the bag, Parcells and Belichick never lose with a double digit second half lead".  I don't have to watch that game again.  I have watched it enough times and each time I thought, JEEZ this guy ******* blows today.  I remember sarcastically cheering - "Yay!  Another one yard run"  I also remember watching Terrell Davis and saying "That is what a pro bowl RB is supposed to do" I cursed the offensive line too, but if you are just going to get what they give you then there is no use for a HOF RB

show me where he had any room to run, was he supposed to magically run through the multiple defenders that were in the backfield on every play?  Curtis had a bad game, most of the offense outside of Vinny was bad too.

Archived