Juggling the roster

Gaffneycatch

With Owusu out, there's talk of promoting Powell from the practice squad.

With Mauldin still probably not ready to return, and word that Reilly is probably out Sunday due to a finger injury, there's talk of bringing up Barnes from the PS.

My question is, who would be cut from the 53 if either or both of these guys get brought up.

It seems like Owusu is a pretty big part of the offense (at least in week 1 he was), so it seems like it would be risky to subject him to waivers. On the other hand, he's slated to be out for 3 weeks, so that might dissuade another team from signing him to their active 53. Risky though.

So who might be the top candidates from the Jets 53 to make it through waivers and be available to be brought back in a couple of weeks when guys get healthy again? Maybe an OL?

I don't see why they wouldn't waive Owusu.  They waived him in August and nobody bit.  Sure he plays plenty of snaps, but I don't think his production rates anybody snapping him up, especially since he was just scoped.  The thing I wonder is if Powell would be taking Kerley's punt return duties.  I assume that Enunwa will get the majority of the boost.

I would have expected one of the ILBs, Henderson or Lattimore, to flex out to OLB in place of Reilly/Mauldin.  They both should be fast enough and I don't think Reilly is significantly bigger.  FWIW, if snap counts are to be believed, Harris and Davis don't come off field, so the snaps that Lattimore and Henderson have played should have been at OLB.  Reilly actually played less snaps by percentage week 2 than week 1.  With the pace and lack of running game by the Eagles there will probably more extra DB snaps in any event.  Probably more 3 safety looks with Jarrett or adding Williams to the other 3.

I would be more worried about is special teams.  I think that Owusu kick returns and plays on the coverage unit. If they bring up Powell he can return, not sure about the coverage and Reilly and Mauldin both play coverage.  The UDFA safety they picked up from the Seahawks has actually played a decent number of snaps on specials.  I was surprised that he was even active.

I would cut Geno :huh:, okay, maybe not, but it felt good to write.

I am not sure with his injury history (esp. concussions) that anyone would take Owusu (but this could be releasing danny for clowney all over again)

I think we have like 20 OL guys, probably could release one of them...

We are going to have to release someone long term after the bye for Richardson, so might as well make the tough call now...

I am not sure with his injury history (esp. concussions) that anyone would take Owusu (but this could be releasing danny for clowney all over again)

They cut him on September 5.  He cleared waivers and they signed him back the next day.  Maybe they put a waiver claim in on somebody else?  I don't know.  There is a pretty good chance they ride it out by moving him inactive, but I don't think it is a huge risk.  Stacy can return kicks and Smith should eventually be taking all of his WR reps anyway.

An ILB playing OLB is going to get torched all day long.

Torched by what? 

What makes an ILB an ILB and and OLB an OLB?  Henderson has played OLB in the NFL.  Both he and Lattimore have played defensive snaps for the Jets and Harris and Davis did not come off the field. In general with the Jets, OLB has been a bigger player to set the edge, but Reilly is not particularly big and I think Henderson is actually bigger.   PFF had Henderson as the 17th ranked OLB in 2012, but I think that was playing in the Vikings 4-3.  His coverage skills are questionable, but Coples and Pace are not exactly Everson Walls out there.  Lattimore is thinner and rangier, but he also came in as an OLB.  I actually thought they might have been considering moving Reilly inside, but they went out and signed almost every FA ILB available this year.  Henderson was chopped and caught inside on the Gore end zone fumble, but it did appear that Bowles had him playing ROLB at the goal. 

Besides, I'm not saying that it is optimal, I am just not sure there is any reason to think that an UDFA rookie is less likely to get torched than two guys who both have more than 5 years NFL experience, each with some at OLB.  You want to use a roster spot on Barnes because you think he will do that much better a job?  A lot of people liked Barnes in the preaseason, I guess I wasn't as high on him as some.

We are going to have to release someone long term after the bye for Richardson, so might as well make the tough call now...

I tend to agree that they probably aren't going to do anything, and will just ride it out. But was curious to see what others thought. And 10 OL is a lot, so that might be where they go. I know they cut Owusu before, but he had a good week 1, and there have been other injuries around the league. I'd be a little surprised if they cut him again. Not shocked, but slightly surprised.

I am just not sure there is any reason to think that an UDFA rookie is less likely to get torched than two guys who both have more than 5 years NFL experience, each with some at OLB.  You want to use a roster spot on Barnes because you think he will do that much better a job? 

Good point. Doesn't seem to make sense to bring up Barnes, unless they feel like they need him as a backup in case of injuries during the game. I did read speculation about it from some of the beats though.

I would cut Quigley. I don't see the need for a punter, Fitz has this situation under control.

Sorry to quote my own post. But we might be able to figure out a way to bring back post of the week using rep. The top posts (based on rep) each week could be entered into a poll. What do you all think?

Trevor has a pretty bad infection in his finger. Not something to mess around with since infections can cause amputations or worse.

Ronnie Lott would have just cut it off to help the Jets beat the only team left in the NFL they haven't beaten. Who needs all ten fingers???

This is BULLSH*T!!!   :D

Torched by what? 

What makes an ILB an ILB and and OLB an OLB?  Henderson has played OLB in the NFL.  Both he and Lattimore have played defensive snaps for the Jets and Harris and Davis did not come off the field. In general with the Jets, OLB has been a bigger player to set the edge, but Reilly is not particularly big and I think Henderson is actually bigger.   PFF had Henderson as the 17th ranked OLB in 2012, but I think that was playing in the Vikings 4-3.  His coverage skills are questionable, but Coples and Pace are not exactly Everson Walls out there.  Lattimore is thinner and rangier, but he also came in as an OLB.  I actually thought they might have been considering moving Reilly inside, but they went out and signed almost every FA ILB available this year.  Henderson was chopped and caught inside on the Gore end zone fumble, but it did appear that Bowles had him playing ROLB at the goal. 

Besides, I'm not saying that it is optimal, I am just not sure there is any reason to think that an UDFA rookie is less likely to get torched than two guys who both have more than 5 years NFL experience, each with some at OLB.  You want to use a roster spot on Barnes because you think he will do that much better a job?  A lot of people liked Barnes in the preaseason, I guess I wasn't as high on him as some.

I think you answered your own questions here.  I am agreeing, it is not optimal.  Also, yes, I was thinking of Barnes.

I think you answered your own questions here.  I am agreeing, it is not optimal.  Also, yes, I was thinking of Barnes.

What did you think of Barnes?  I kept hearing he had a nice camp, but I didn't form much of an opinion on him from what I saw.  I didn't get to re-watch the preseason games much.  The girls cleared out the damn DVR because they knew I had already seen them..

FWIW, I think these guys are football players first, I think too much gets caught up in defining positions.  I don't think the Jets "OLB" positions are so identical anyway. Bowles and Gailey are both supposed to be good at maximizing the abilities of the players that they have, this is the perfect opportunity. 

I don't see why they wouldn't waive Owusu.  They waived him in August and nobody bit.  Sure he plays plenty of snaps, but I don't think his production rates anybody snapping him up, especially since he was just scoped.  The thing I wonder is if Powell would be taking Kerley's punt return duties.  I assume that Enunwa will get the majority of the boost.

I would have expected one of the ILBs, Henderson or Lattimore, to flex out to OLB in place of Reilly/Mauldin.  They both should be fast enough and I don't think Reilly is significantly bigger.  FWIW, if snap counts are to be believed, Harris and Davis don't come off field, so the snaps that Lattimore and Henderson have played should have been at OLB.  Reilly actually played less snaps by percentage week 2 than week 1.  With the pace and lack of running game by the Eagles there will probably more extra DB snaps in any event.  Probably more 3 safety looks with Jarrett or adding Williams to the other 3.

I would be more worried about is special teams.  I think that Owusu kick returns and plays on the coverage unit. If they bring up Powell he can return, not sure about the coverage and Reilly and Mauldin both play coverage.  The UDFA safety they picked up from the Seahawks has actually played a decent number of snaps on specials.  I was surprised that he was even active.

Willie Colon can do a better job fielding punts than Kerley

Willie Colon can do a better job fielding punts than Kerley

Except Powell couldn't.  Kerley averaged double the yards per return of Powell and Saunders.  We all say he fair catches everything, but he was like 21st in the league in fair catches last year as far as I can tell -  he had 13,  the guys at the top of the list were in the 30's.  Guys we would be happy with like Ginn (24), Landry (19) Cooks (23) all had significantly more.  Jalen Saunders had 10 to go with his muffs, bad attitude and stupid hair.  At least Powell only fair caught two, but he his 4 yard average is not one to write home about. 

Willie Colon is something I am actually worried about regarding the roster.  The run game could be a problem.  Ivory, Colon and Carpenter are all dinged enough to be missing or limited in practice.  I hoped they would run the ball down Indy's throat and they couldn't.  I want to run all over Philly to keep them off the field and slow the pace, but I'm not sure we will be able to do it.

Except Powell couldn't.  Kerley averaged double the yards per return of Powell and Saunders.  We all say he fair catches everything, but he was like 21st in the league in fair catches last year as far as I can tell -  he had 13,  the guys at the top of the list were in the 30's.  Guys we would be happy with like Ginn (24), Landry (19) Cooks (23) all had significantly more.  Jalen Saunders had 10 to go with his muffs, bad attitude and stupid hair.  At least Powell only fair caught two, but he his 4 yard average is not one to write home about. 

This is the deepest analysis of punt returners I've ever seen.  Awesome.

This is the deepest analysis of punt returners I've ever seen.  Awesome.

It was a good post. Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but intelligent football talk with information that I haven't seen elsewhere is what makes coming to a message board worthwhile for me. Kerley is still not a dynamic punt returner -- but maybe he's not as terrible as we all think.

It was a good post. Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but intelligent football talk with information that I haven't seen elsewhere is what makes coming to a message board worthwhile for me. Kerley is still not a dynamic punt returner -- but maybe he's not as terrible as we all think.

Definitely a good post, hence why I repped it.

Sorry to quote my own post. But we might be able to figure out a way to bring back post of the week using rep. The top posts (based on rep) each week could be entered into a poll. What do you all think?

Shamelessly begging for rep!

Sure, sounds good to me.  The post of the week threads were usually good for a ton of laughs and some funny posts I missed would always come out of the woodwork.

I think I read somewhere that Bilal Powell was taking KO's in practice yesterday.  Makes me think Walt Powell isn't getting moved to active roster from PS.  Also figure Stacy will be active with Ivory hurting and he also has returned kicks. The Reilly/Mauldin issue seems like a bigger deal to me. I could see them promoting Barnes from the PS and waiving a guy like Stephen Bowen figuring he'd be waived in 2 weeks anyway when Richardson returns...

I think I read somewhere that Bilal Powell was taking KO's in practice yesterday.  Makes me think Walt Powell isn't getting moved to active roster from PS.  Also figure Stacy will be active with Ivory hurting and he also has returned kicks. The Reilly/Mauldin issue seems like a bigger deal to me. I could see them promoting Barnes from the PS and waiving a guy like Stephen Bowen figuring he'd be waived in 2 weeks anyway when Richardson returns...

Latest tweet was that Mauldin practiced in full and would play.  It's in another thread.  I'm surprised that Bilal Powell is returning kicks.  I would have expected Stacy who was active against the Colts.  Smith will likely be active, but Bowles said he would not return kicks.  FWIW, they say Reilly is not playing and neither is Darrin Walls.  That will open up three active slots with Owusu out.  I guess technically Walls wasn't active last week, so Smith for Owusu and Mauldin back for Reilly the rest of the squad the same?  That's my prediction.  Guessing more than one snap for Kerley Sunday.  Bowles presser should be up.  I think it was at 1:15.  Somebody will probably post what he said before I click submit.

Walt Powell (abdomen) did not practice. He is a PS player, likely won't be called up for KR duties. So that means B. Powell and/or Stacy.

Bowles: Decker, Ivory, Revis game-time decisions. Reilly, Walls are out. Mauldin will play.

Kerley has gotten a lot of reps in slot this week. Bowles pleased w/ how he’s looked. Expect him to see a lot of action with other injuries

Put up or shut up.

Kerley is a good to slightly better than that player. The issue Kerley has that will hold him back with Bowles is Kerley is not a practice guy. He has nagging little injuries and is not awesome in practice, but he is able to raise his game significantly on Sundays.

Kerley is a good to slightly better than that player. The issue Kerley has that will hold him back with Bowles is Kerley is not a practice guy. He has nagging little injuries and is not awesome in practice, but he is able to raise his game significantly on Sundays.

Also, as has been discussed before, it looks like Bowles / Gailey like their receivers either big or very fast.  The small but quick Welker / Kerley types don't seem to be exactly what they're looking for.

Willie Colon is something I am actually worried about regarding the roster.  The run game could be a problem.  Ivory, Colon and Carpenter are all dinged enough to be missing or limited in practice.  I hoped they would run the ball down Indy's throat and they couldn't.  I want to run all over Philly to keep them off the field and slow the pace, but I'm not sure we will be able to do it.

Dom I'm not so worried about Kerleys fair catches although that one fair catch in the indy game at the 5 freakin yard line was inexcusable. I'm more worried about him catching the ball and his crappy returns. He always looks shaky catching the football and quite frankly his vision stinks because he always seems to take the wrong direction . So it goes a bit deeper than just fair catches

Archived