NE Observations

KRL

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets missed opportunities yesterday but so did the Pats.  

My biggest issue was coaching.  

On offense, Gailey has shown zero ability to take advantage of what the defense is giving him.  He's a scripted play caller and cant adjust.  They should have went for the jugular yesterday and instead he called safe plays.  

On defense, you make them one dimensional but had zero answers to stop the passing game.  They literally had no answer for Gronk, you let Amendola go off and they made no adjustments.  Bowles went soft.  He wasnt mixing it up at all.  Kept giving Brady the same looks over and over again.  He figured it out and got in the zone and the coaching staff did nothing different.  Very vanilla game plan taking no chances what so ever. 

ST's, anything related to punting is terrible.  People complain about Kerley but the blocking on punts is the worst in the league.  2 free guys every damn time they punted.  Killed the field position. Folk was money though.  Got to give him credit.  

Yesterday was the first real challenge this team faced. Regardless of moral victories I saw a team that stuck together and made some great plays. I am usually irate after a loss ( Philly i was screaming at the tv ) but against the pats I felt we played a great game and lost to a great team in the final 10 minutes.

I felt like Fitz had a solid performance. Fumbles happen, the ball bounces your way one time, it doesn't the other. Overall I would say he did a good job and has far exceeded my expectations for him this season. I give credit to NE on shutting down our running game. They keyed on the ball and were pounding Ivory every chance they got. BB coached them up and they performed, nothing else to really say about this.

The defense did an admirable job. We would all love to see consistent pressure and tons of sacks but Brady is so fast with the ball its hard to get to him. I believe we recorded 4 sacks, which is good against a HOF talent at home. We got lucky on a lot of dropped passes so their are communication issues to fix but overall I would say they did a great job containing offensive the talent oozing out of NE.

Special teams killed us. We need to find someone who can return a punt and punt the ball. This continues to be an issues week in and week out and gave the pats a lot of short fields to play with. It was no different than Fitz throwing a pick at the midfield multiple times.

The schedule overall looks favorable for the jets, I am seeing a 10-6 team, maybe 11-5 if we can beat the boys. Its one game at a time, one game does not make us, one game does not break us. There is a lot to look forward to this season.

On offense, Gailey has shown zero ability to take advantage of what the defense is giving him.  He's a scripted play caller and cant adjust.  They should have went for the juggler yesterday and instead he called safe plays.  

On defense, you make the one dimensional but had zero answers to stop the passing game.  They literally had no answer for Gronk, you let Amendola go off and they made no adjustments.  Bowles went soft.  He wasnt mixing it up at all.  Kept giving Brady the same looks over and over again.  He figured it out and got in the zone and the coaching staff didnt nothing different.  Very vanilla game plan taking no chances what so ever. 

ST's, anything related to punting is terrible.  People complain about Kerley but the blocking on punts is the worst in the league.  2 free guys every damn time they punted.  Killed the field position. Folk was money though.  Got to give him credit.  

One of the Jets best statistics this season has been their 2nd half adjustments.  They played the best team in the league and got beat by a TD and suddenly he's scripted and doesn't know how to adjust?  You realize sometimes good team just win games, especially in their own house. 

You people need to take a breath man, we're 4-2 and lost to the best team in the league by a TD in their own house.  Maybe you should go for a juggler too, it'll make you feel happy. 

One of the Jets best statistics this season has been their 2nd half adjustments.  They played the best team in the league and got beat by a TD and suddenly he's scripted and doesn't know how to adjust?  You realize sometimes good team just win games, especially in their own house. 

You people need to take a breath man, we're 4-2 and lost to the best team in the league by a TD in their own house.  Maybe you should go for a juggler too, it'll make you feel happy. 

Maybe you're referring to the D, but the Offense is scripted and Gailey doesnt adjust, he just sticks with the game plan no matter what. This wasnt the first time.  It's happened all season long. 

They should have put that game away.  The Pats had no answer for Decker because they were rolling coverage to Marshall.  He was seeing single coverage from small corners that couldnt handle him, all day long.  Him and Kerley should have went off.  Instead, you running Zach ******* Stacy twice, right up the gut for 2 yards instead of going for broke. It was stupid.  You dont beat the Pats playing conservative. 

And I dont appreciate you telling me to kill myself for being critical of the coaching.  They blew a 4th quarter lead.  This game as theirs for the taking and they took the foot of the gas.

You're good with losing to the Pats over and over again.  I'm not.  

The bad news is: We lost a winnable game against a team we hate.  That sucks.

The good news is: Brady was on top of his game yesterday, at home, and we still had a chance to win despite that.

The NFL is about peaking at the right time.  I don't think New England can get much better.  The Jets, however can.  They need to build off what they've done and get better, so when January comes they do win these types of games.  They're not far off.

The more battle-tested team won yesterday.  Bowles will learn from this as much as anyone.  but I think the Jets can improve off of this and can come back with a better shot later in the season and potentially in the playoffs.  Home-field advantage in the playoffs looks unreachable once again.  But if the Jets can win at Foxboro they can win anywhere.  And I think they have a chance to get better and win this matchup in January.

New England was predictable the entire game, was missing half its O line, its best back and Lafell dropped like 10 passes. Man how did they still score 30 and win? Fn Gronk!!! He is ridiculous. I will say that Brady audibled a ton. Cannot do that as effectively on the road. He is a maestro at home.

The good news is: Brady was on top of his game yesterday, at home, and we still had a chance to win despite that.

The NFL is about peaking at the right time.  I don't think New England can get much better.  The Jets, however can.  They need to build off what they've done and get better, so when January comes they do win these types of games.  They're not far off.

The more battle-tested team won yesterday.  Bowles will learn from this as much as anyone.  but I think the Jets can improve off of this can come back with a better shot later in the season and potentially in the playoffs.

Great post.  You're spot on. 

The more battle-tested team won yesterday.  Bowles will learn from this as much as anyone.  but I think the Jets can improve off of this and can come back with a better shot later in the season and potentially in the playoffs.  Home-field advantage in the playoffs looks unreachable once again.  But if the Jets can win at Foxboro they can win anywhere.  And I think they have a chance to get better and win this matchup in January.

NE was without Lewis and Sheard? They can be better. Amendola probably can't play much better though. Geez. 

On offense, Gailey has shown zero ability to take advantage of what the defense is giving him.  He's a scripted play caller and cant adjust.  They should have went for the juggler yesterday and instead he called safe plays.  

On defense, you make the one dimensional but had zero answers to stop the passing game.  They literally had no answer for Gronk, you let Amendola go off and they made no adjustments.  Bowles went soft.  He wasnt mixing it up at all.  Kept giving Brady the same looks over and over again.  He figured it out and got in the zone and the coaching staff didnt nothing different.  Very vanilla game plan taking no chances what so ever. 

Agree 100%

LaFell had a sh*tty game, but all those "drops" weren't drops.  He wasn't  catching the ball clean, but when you are hit or fighting for the ball it is not a drop.  Every time that you touch the ball and don't catch it is not a drop.  He had a ton, but I would bet it was well under double figures.

IDK the toughest one he DID catch. The others were gimmes as I saw them. Edelman dropped a gimme in the Endzone as did Marshall. Amendola caught everything as did Decker. It was certainly interesting.

IDK the toughest one he DID catch. The others were gimmes as I saw them. Edelman dropped a gimme in the Endzone as did Marshall. Amendola caught everything as did Decker. It was certainly interesting.

I assume the weather had something to do with it.  Some games both teams have a bunch of drops, others everybody catches everything.  Some of it is the personnel.  Lafell was just back and Marshall tends to drop some.  I think weather because I am not an inflation conspiracist.

You sir, are astute! Good post.

I assume the weather had something to do with it.  Some games both teams have a bunch of drops, others everybody catches everything.  Some of it is the personnel.  Lafell was just back and Marshall tends to drop some.  I think weather because I am not an inflation conspiracist.

Right!!! Except why didn't impact ED and Amendola? LOL maybe they just concentrate better? IDK. ED was outstanding. I'd play the race card but Edelman and Gronk had drops too. :)

New England was predictable the entire game, was missing half its O line, its best back and Lafell dropped like 10 passes. Man how did they still score 30 and win? Fn Gronk!!! He is ridiculous. I will say that Brady audibled a ton. Cannot do that as effectively on the road. He is a maestro at home.

I think that fatigue also played a role for the Jets D. Being in pass defense virtually the whole game wore them down and started to open up lanes. That and Brady's incessant quick release -- eventually he was going to connect... it just took until the fourth quarter. Not many QB's could pull that off and effectively stymy one of the strengths of their opponent - defense against the run. Answer: don't run the ball at all. Gotta give NE their due. That's a ballsy and ingenious game plan.

I think that fatigue also played a role for the Jets D. Being in pass defense virtually the whole game wore them down and started to open up lanes. That and Brady's incessant quick release -- eventually he was going to connect... it just took until the fourth quarter. Not many QB's could pull that off and effectively stymy one of the strengths of their opponent - defense against the run. Answer: don't run the ball at all. Gotta give NE their due. That's a ballsy and ingenious game plan.

Do you think the Jets coaches underestimated Amendola?

You and a small contingent seem to want to drill this point home today.  Do you have an alternative?

I would play Geno. He was who the coaching staff selected going into training camp, was outplaying Fitz in training camp. and I believe the increased performance on offense is Gailey, scheme, better weapons, better head coach and not Fitz. If you really look at their numbers last year Fitz really was not much better than Geno. Geno can make plays and the offense would be tailored to his strengths. Devin Smith would have a couple touchdowns with Geno. I realize Geno might lay an egg, but Fitz is getting us no where, and we need to see what we have in Geno before moving on. I am not a Geno fan, but I cannot stand noodle armed "game manager" QBs that can only win games with a lead and with dominating defense and turnovers. The love for the incredibly average Fitz is sad, Jets fans seem so snakebit that they are so averse to any risk taking that they completely embrace and cherish mediocrity.

The OP is "sort of" right.  Fitz is limited.   His fumble was huge but he just is not explosive.  BUT... he didnt lose that game.

Not enough pressure on Brady

Not enough running game

Drops

and well, they have Tom Brady.

I am so tired of all the Fitz praising - he is more limited than Chad was - at least Chad was accurate.  Fitz is completely incapable of leading a team to victory - he is a below average game manager at his best. 

I am so tired of all the Fitz praising - he is more limited than Chad was - at least Chad was accurate.  Fitz is completely incapable of leading a team to victory - he is a below average game manager at his best. 

Right on with this post we won't win big games if the ball is in his hands 

kind of the point. He didn't really because the Jets didnt even TRY to stretch the field or run a 2 minute drill because he cannot. So everything was a dumpoff or seam/crossing route and he did that about as well as he can, but he is incapable of winning us a game

What about the go ahead TD to marshall that he dropped.

Well other than the fact that the team is 4-2.  He is a game manager who is limited, no question about it.  Something that we ALL knew coming into the year.  The big question is what is the alternative?  I find the majority of these anti Fitzpatrick threads are veiled, I want Geno threads.

Right now he has more completions than Carr, Bridgewater, Cutler, Newton

Has more yards than Carr, Luck, Bridgewater, Newton

Has more tds than Newton, Ryan, Brees

He has been sacked fewer than pretty well any starter in the leauge.

He's not a world beater, His arm is not good but the team is 4-2 under him and he played well enough for us to beat NE.

I think people are forgetting too fast just how terrible our previous QB's were in a number of key categories, sacks, fumbles, leadership, accuracy.

He is not going to be the one to lead this team to a super bowl but he is the best we have right now.

i was not happy that defensively

1. NO hands in the air by lineman....so many passes could have been batted ..drove me crazy (should have been a "pseudo"pass rush where it was about hands up to block passes when brady was to throw....everything was out within seconds)

2. why our dbs ALWAYS had back to brady. the ball was coming out fast...take a chance and play the ball not the receiver IMO. play center field

3. at 14seconds throw it in end zone!  PI is a possibility!

Not seeing it discussed much, but the end of the first half infuriated me. They had the ball with two minutes left and all of their timeouts and they didn't even try to execute a two-minute drill. To me, that just sent a loud message that they were playing scared. You know you're kicking off to start the second half there. You have to try to at least get in field goal range. With Folk, all they needed for that was about 35 yards. Drove me nuts. 

Not seeing it discussed much, but the end of the first half infuriated me. They had the ball with two minutes left and all of their timeouts and they didn't even try to execute a two-minute drill. To me, that just sent a loud message that they were playing scared. You know you're kicking off to start the second half there. You have to try to at least get in field goal range. With Folk, all they needed for that was about 35 yards. Drove me nuts. 

I hated this too. My big beef was with the playcalling. Fitzpatrick had already fumbled and had a couple of balls tipped, so I understand if they wanted to just run it out and get into the locker room with a 3-point deficit, but then they called two pass plays. Weirdly indecisive. Far and away Bowels's worst game.

that is the problem with a conservative defensive-minded head coach. they believe the defense will win it.

Fitz is a limited QB and that's why he has played on so many teams but you cannot get on him for yesterday. With the exception of the Philly game, the offense through Ivory AND Fitz have had some good scoring drives in the 2nd half  after an opponent has scored.

Fitz without a running game just threw a TD to put us up 8 points in the 4th q at NE.  Oh wait, Marshall dropped it.

Ivory and the defense is why we are 4-2. Fitz has contributed to those wins and I do not blame him for the 2 losses.  The Philly loss was just one of those all around bad games for the team.  Yesterday we were just another victim of the Brady 4th q show.     

yep and also why not let geno throw the hail mary at end?  we could have had 2 plays, their DB's are small and they suck

Archived