Expectations and acceptance

UnitedWhofans

You don't accept failure?  What the **** are you doing about it?  I mean aside from the petition to sign Ray Rice, what steps are you taking to improve?

If not Rice we need another RB viable of taking over for Ivory if and when he goes down.  Stacey isn't the answer. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are emotional ninnies. The reaction is hilarious. We had a chance to win as time expired. Why the crying??

People want to win.  Crying? this is a Jet forum. We come to discuss the game and the Jets.  Do you want people to be all sunshine after a loss?

at 4-1 there was hope we could find a way to beat this team...and had we beaten this team we could have began to consider the Jets a legitimate contender.  

Frankly, I wasn't sure what the defense was - was it going to be good enough to shut down, or even slow down Brady? Was the offense good enough to keep up with Brady?  Neither were...

This post is correct, expectations are 8-10 wins, but 24 hours ago, there was hope expectations could go up measurably.

46 years and counting excuses dont win football games this organization needs to find a way to win journeymen QBs aren't the answer 

Yes, you're absolutely right!  My goodness why haven't the Jets gone out and gotten one of those 2 elite QB's in the league by now!?  It's been staring us in the face this whole time!

don't feed me dog food and tell me it's hamburger

Don't whine about things that can't be changed.  Go watch some college tape and find us the next Aaron Rodgers if you want to be productive.  You're repeating things that have been said 8,000 times every single week, and adding nothing new to the discussion.

People want to win.  Crying? this is a Jet forum. We come to discuss the game and the Jets.  Do you want people to be all sunshine after a loss?

at 4-1 there was hope we could find a way to beat this team...and had we beaten this team we could have began to consider the Jets a legitimate contender.  

Frankly, I wasn't sure what the defense was - was it going to be good enough to shut down, or even slow down Brady? Was the offense good enough to keep up with Brady?  Neither were...

This post is correct, expectations are 8-10 wins, but 24 hours ago, there was hope expectations could go up measurably.

What does this mean exactly, being considered a legitimate contender?  I mean, is there a trophy for that?  Wow, NE must have really been disappointed last year when they found out after week 4 that they couldn't be called a legitimate contender because they were 2-2 and got drubbed by KC 41-14.  It's a shame, I'm sure they would have like that legitimate contender trophy. 

What does this mean exactly, being considered a legitimate contender?  I mean, is there a trophy for that?  Wow, NE must have really been disappointed last year when they found out after week 4 that they couldn't be called a legitimate contender because they were 2-2 and got drubbed by KC 41-14.  It's a shame, I'm sure they would have like that legitimate contender trophy. 

Why the nasty attitude?

This is a thread about "expectations" (is there a trophy for that?)   What you "consider" a team is what you expect from that team.  Had they won this game my "expectations" would have gone up, beyond an 8-10 record.

This was a 4-1 team that has shown, at times, signs of a team that could be very good.  Yesterday they showed me what they were, a team better than the dregs of the league but a middle of pack - 8-10 win organization.  To me, that's disappointing.

Why the nasty attitude?

This is a thread about "expectations" (is there a trophy for that?)   What you "consider" a team is what you expect from that team.  Had they won this game my "expectations" would have gone up, beyond an 8-10 record.

This was a 4-1 team that has shown, at times, signs of a team that could be very good.  Yesterday they showed me what they were, a team better than the dregs of the league but a middle of pack - 8-10 win organization.  To me, that's disappointing.

No nasty attitude here at all.  I'm just intrigued by the idea that a week 7 (game 6) game has such an impact on some of you that the season expectations change so drastically.  We weren't going to be 15-1 this year.  We're probably not going to be 14-2 either.  A respectable loss to NE in their house sucks, of course.  But it does nothing to the long term outlook of this team.  We keep stacking enough chips to get us in the playoff picture and hope the team starts playing their best football at the end of December.  It's not like we just lost to JAX, now that's something to really be upset about.  My expectations haven't changed at all.  In my mind this is an 8-11 win team.  So at best they're going to lose at least 5 games.  I'm much more understanding that those 5 come against teams like NE than say JAX or HOU.  We made mistakes in this game, some coaching, some players.  All correctable.  Nothing about this game screamed that our talent wasn't there to win a game like this.  That would be depressing.  We beat ourselves with silly, yet correctable mistakes.  So no, the expectation doesn't change a bit for me and it shouldn't for anyone. 

No nasty attitude here at all.  I'm just intrigued by the idea that a week 7 (game 6) game has such an impact on some of you that the season expectations change so drastically.  We weren't going to be 15-1 this year.  We're probably not going to be 14-2 either.  A respectable loss to NE in their house sucks, of course.  But it does nothing to the long term outlook of this team.  We keep stacking enough chips to get us in the playoff picture and hope the team starts playing their best football at the end of December.  It's not like we just lost to JAX, now that's something to really be upset about.  My expectations haven't changed at all.  In my mind this is an 8-11 win team.  So at best they're going to lose at least 5 games.  I'm much more understanding that those 5 come against teams like NE than say JAX or HOU.  We made mistakes in this game, some coaching, some players.  All correctable.  Nothing about this game screamed that our talent wasn't there to win a game like this.  That would be depressing.  We beat ourselves with silly, yet correctable mistakes.  So no, the expectation doesn't change a bit for me and it shouldn't for anyone. 

I guess that's where we differ.  I went into the game thinking much like you, we are an 8-10 win team but had hope it could be more...I truly didn't know what this defense was yet.  They shut down Luck but after that didn't play anyone to get excited about.  Could this maybe be one of those defense that can win a Super Bowl with average yet solid QB play?  For me, that question was answered yesterday.

That's the disappointment, it's not about the record, it's not even about the loss....The team is what I thought it was, and not what I hoped it could have been.

I'm really intrigued by the fans that look at this loss and aren't disappointed.  Yes, they're still a good team and still a team that I believe will get a wildcard...but nothing more.

I guess that's where we differ.  I went into the game thinking much like you, we are an 8-10 win team but had hope it could be more...I truly didn't know what this defense was yet.  They shut down Luck but after that didn't play anyone to get excited about.  Could this maybe be one of those defense that can win a Super Bowl with average yet solid QB play?  For me, that question was answered yesterday.

That's the disappointment, it's not about the record, it's not even about the loss....The team is what I thought it was, and not what I hoped it could have been.

I'm really intrigued by the fans that look at this loss and aren't disappointed.  Yes, they're still a good team and still a team that I believe will get a wildcard...but nothing more.

Don't get me wrong I'm disappointed.  I'm always disappointed after a loss.  I just haven't made any changes on what I think this team is.  I expected a few losses this season, and frankly the Pats in their house would be a logical place to expect it.  So for that reason my outlook hasn't changed at all.  In fact I see some positives because like I said we made some mistakes, but all are correctable.  I didn't come away from this game thinking man we just don't have enough talent.  We have to bounce back.  Next week is a very tough game.  Traveling to the west coast is always difficult and OAK can play some solid football.  It's also an easy letdown game given we just played NE, but Bowles seems to keep things very level headed throughout the team so I don't expect the wide highs and lows that we have experienced in the past under Rex.

how do you this team isn't going to the super bowl?   i watched 2 of the top 3 teams in the AFC today and ours barely lost and hopefully learned from it.  this team is built to win in January and I like our chances.

One thing that gives me pause; want to see a team and CS that goes for the jugular every time. Pulling your horns before half, dropping an INT, brainfart blown coverage, lack of a pass rush hen it mattered,  all signs we aren't there yet. The end of half thing bothered me a lot. You aren't winning vs. the Cheaters unless you push the issue. And this CS may not grasp that. We've seen that game over and over and I'm tired of it. There are no moral victories.

One thing that gives me pause; want to see a team and CS that goes for the jugular every time. Pulling your horns before half, dropping an INT, brainfart blown coverage, lack of a pass rush hen it mattered,  all signs we aren't there yet. The end of half thing bothered me a lot. You aren't winning vs. the Cheaters unless you push the issue. And this CS may not grasp that. We've seen that game over and over and I'm tired of it. There are no moral victories.

Couldn't agree more.  It was concerning.  They must have (or certainly should have) known that you're going to need every point you can get.  You simply can't give away a possession.  

We've seen this from this team all year - when they are ready to put a team away they lighten up.  Let's see a team, for once, that doesn't play scared - keep pushing, keep scoring...It's okay to blow teams out. 

Agreed with the above.  We dominated the first quarter and came out of it tied 3-3.  That's nuts and is something that has to be looked at.

On the other hand, this game could have turned on any of a number of single plays.  If Ivory wasn't hurt we probably win.  If we don't let Brady convert on 3rd and 19, we probably win.  If Weatherford didn't absolutely suck, we probably win.  It was really that close.  Next time we play, I'd give us close to 50-50 chance of winning depending on what happens between now and then.  Mistakes happen and we had some but not an embarrassing amount, and frankly, the other team had their share (LaFell, OMG!, catch the ball!).  I'm disappointed but not distraught.  If we go from here to 7-3, which seems reasonable, I'm fine with that.

Agreed 100%. They played not to lose and you cant play the Pats that way.  You have to go for broke.  

I would have been perfectly fine with going for it on 4th and Goal from the 2 on the second drive.  That's the type of sh*t you have to do vs. the Pats...especially in Foxborough. They got conservative and paid for it.  They should have won that game.

Regarding the tread topic; **** being good with losing.  That's bull sh*t.  They let this game go and it should not be accepted by anyone.  I'm sure the Jets dont feel that way.

Agreed 100%. They played not to lose and you cant play the Pats that way.  You have to go for broke.  

I would have been perfectly fine with going for it on 4th and Goal from the 2 on the second drive.  That's the type of sh*t you have to do vs. the Pats...especially in Foxborough. They got conservative and paid for it.  They should have won that game.

Regarding the tread topic; **** being good with losing.  That's bull sh*t.  They let this game go and it sound not be accepted by anyone.  I'm sure the Jets dont feel that way.

I think whatever was wrong with Ivory is what killed us on that first FG drive. If he was in the game I am pretty confident we punch it in there instead of settling for 3. Its a totally different game if we get 6 there. 

Regarding the tread topic; **** being good with losing.  That's bull sh*t.  They let this game go and it sound not be accepted by anyone.  I'm sure the Jets dont feel that way.

No one's good with losing a game.  Any game.  It's just that losing this game should have zero impact on the log term expectations of the team.  I didn't expect us to go undefeated, or 15-1.  I expect us to be a playoff team that could possibly win the division.  That hasn't changed.  NE won't be undefeated either.  In fact they'll probably lose more than one game.  Those losses won't change their expectations either. 

I think whatever was wrong with Ivory is what killed us on that first FG drive. If he was in the game I am pretty confident we punch it in there instead of settling for 3. Its a totally different game if we get 6 there. 

Agreed.  Ivory is key to this offense.  They need to find a back-up pronto because Zach Stacy is pathetically bad at Football. 

No one's good with losing a game.  Any game.  It's just that losing this game should have zero impact on the log term expectations of the team.  I didn't expect us to go undefeated, or 15-1.  I expect us to be a playoff team that could possibly win the division.  That hasn't changed.  NE won't be undefeated either.  In fact they'll probably lose more than one game.  Those losses won't change their expectations either. 

Reading this thread, apparently there are plenty of people good with it because its the Pats and the Jets arent supposed to win.  That's b.s.  The Jets let this one get away.  They looked like the better team for 85% of that game.  And I'm sick and tired of losing to that team.  Someone has to change the tides and the Jets had as good a chance as any yesterday.  

Expectations can and should change if you beat the Pats in Foxborough and you're sitting at the top of the division playing the way the Jets have played.  It 100% impacts the rest of the season.  It's the difference between playing for a wild card or competing for the division for the first time in forever.  

If you don't accept failure, you don't accept life. Life is about failures and how we can learn from them.

I didn't fail yesterday, the Jets did. 

I'm not learning jack sh*t from them failing. I'm disappointed. I've put enough into this team over the years to deserve being disappointed within 24 hours of a loss in a situation where we could have made our claim for the division lead.

You're whole narrative about acceptance is contrived pseudo-highroad nonsense, and ironically clashes with the subsequent cursing people out if they don't agree with it.

EAD.

Agreed.  Ivory is key to this offense.  They need to find a back-up pronto because Zach Stacy is pathetically bad at Football. 

Reading this thread, apparently there are plenty of people good with it because its the Pats and the Jets arent supposed to win.  That's b.s.  The Jets let this one get away.  They looked like the better team for 85% of that game.  And I'm sick and tired of losing to that team.  Someone has to change the tides and the Jets had as good a chance as any yesterday.  

Expectations can and should change if you beat the Pats in Foxborough and you're sitting at the top of the division playing the way the Jets have played.  It 100% impacts the rest of the season.  It's the difference between playing for a wild card or competing for the division for the first time in forever.  

This.

Had we beat the Pats yesterday, speaking only of season's expectations not of elation or disappointment of a loss or win, we both sit at 5-1.  The Pats are going to win 13 games this year most likely.  We're not.  We're not talented enough to be a solid 13 win team, we don't have the QB for that type of team, so winning the division just isn't a reality IMO.  What we are talented enough to do is be hot at the right time and win some games in bunches.  The key in my mind is for that to happen in December and into the playoffs.  Even in the loss I feel we beat ourselves to a great extent, and all the mistakes are correctable.  But we are the type of team that in going to have games that just leave you scratching your head against team that we are better than (ie PHI).  When Fitzpatrick is you're QB it's just bound to be that way (please don't take that as a Geno endorsement in any manner).  So yes, disappointed for sure.  But expectations long term haven't changed in my mind, and they wouldn't have if we won. 

I didn't fail yesterday, the Jets did. 

I'm not learning jack sh*t from them failing. I'm disappointed. I've put enough into this team over the years to deserve being disappointed within 24 hours of a loss in a situation where we could have made our claim for the division lead.

You're whole narrative about acceptance is contrived pseudo-highroad nonsense, and ironically clashes with the subsequent cursing people out if they don't agree with it.

EAD.

Perfectly said IMO.

Had we beat the Pats yesterday, speaking only of season's expectations not of elation or disappointment of a loss or win, we both sit at 5-1.  The Pats are going to win 13 games this year most likely.  We're not.  We're not talented enough to be a solid 13 win team, we don't have the QB for that type of team, so winning the division just isn't a reality IMO.  What we are talented enough to do is be hot at the right time and win some games in bunches.  The key in my mind is for that to happen in December and into the playoffs.  Even in the loss I feel we beat ourselves to a great extent, and all the mistakes are correctable.  But we are the type of team that in going to have games that just leave you scratching your head against team that we are better than (ie PHI).  When Fitzpatrick is you're QB it's just bound to be that way (please don't take that as a Geno endorsement in any manner).  So yes, disappointed for sure.  But expectations long term haven't changed in my mind, and they wouldn't have if we won. 

You're right.. but the loss still stings.  This is my 30th year watching this team every Sunday, and Brady's been a thorn in our sides for the last 14. It might not mean anything on Dec 27th either, but I still hope the Jets go out and break his face in our house..

You're right.. but the loss still stings.  This is my 30th year watching this team every Sunday, and Brady's been a thorn in our sides for the last 14. It might not mean anything on Dec 27th either, but I still hope the Jets go out and break his face in our house..

You bet your ass it does, and you bet your ass I hope they do too.  In fact I'm going out on a limb saying I think we will beat them in our house.  We're certainly good enough to do so. 

If you don't accept failure, you don't accept life. Life is about failures and how we can learn from them.

Was this supposed to be your trump card? How proud were you of yourself when you typed this?

Well, guess what? You're gonna love this because you failed. You failed to convince anyone. 

The Jets lost a football game yesterday.  A game they should have won. A game in which they outplayed all but two guys on the opposing roster. 

Who chalks up a football team losing to learning a life lesson? An insane person, that's who. 

Was this supposed to be your trump card? How proud were you of yourself when you typed this?

Well, guess what? You're gonna love this because you failed. You failed to convince anyone. 

The Jets lost a football game yesterday.  A game they should have won. A game in which they outplayed all but two guys on the opposing roster. 

Who chalks up a football team losing to learning a life lesson? An insane person, that's who. 

Three guys not two

You know what will change the tide? Us getting an elite QB of our own or Brady retiring. Neither of which is happening this year.

It's called living in reality.  Something that a lot of people don't like to do. Is it disappointing? Of course it is. But don't go overboard with it 

Couldn't agree more.  It was concerning.  They must have (or certainly should have) known that you're going to need every point you can get.  You simply can't give away a possession.  

We've seen this from this team all year - when they are ready to put a team away they lighten up.  Let's see a team, for once, that doesn't play scared - keep pushing, keep scoring...It's okay to blow teams out. 

I just don't think we have the personnel to blow people out. 

Archived