Our playoff scenarios from the experts

Jetup

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If pats win and denver losses pats clinch 1st seed. Who knows maybe they shut brady down at halftime vs our Jets in a meaningless game. We would then only need the Broncos to lose one more time and we would have to beat the pats backups and then the bills.

there is no team Belichick likes beating more than the Jets.  He will never take his foot off the gas pedal against us.

I wouldn't say I was confident, but I sure have hope. I believe these other guys do too. They're trying to convince themselves that they don't, not realizing it's impossible to lie to yourself.

If they're watching the games, and they get mad when something goes wrong then they were not at peace with losing.

If they have truly given up at this point then they don't get sports. You need the lows to truly appreciate the highs. 

great point ...you do need the lows to experience the highs. Problem is for most Jets fans its been so long the high may lead to a coronary :)

I'm a Yankee fan and the team was so good in the late 90's the 3rd and 4th titles were no where near as fun as the first 2 so I can relate to what your saying. Although beating the Mets did add a ton of excitement to the 4th

At 4-1, the Jets had a 78% chance of making the playoffs.  What are they now?  

This is just like 2002 where a dumb loss to the Bears meant we had to beat the defending Super Bowl Patriots to avoid elimination and set up a three-things-must-happen situation the following Sunday to get into the playoffs.

This year's dumb loss was to the Bills.  The question is, can we beat an elite, winning team in the Patriots?  It's been beaten to death of course, but we've beaten nothing but scrubs so far.  Yeah, I know we can only play the schedule we were given, but we haven't beaten a quality football team in years.  I hope we beat Dallas so that next Sunday is for huge marbles, MetLife will never have rocked so hard.

SAR I

great point ...you do need the lows to experience the highs. Problem is for most Jets fans its been so long the high may lead to a coronary :)

I'm a Yankee fan and the team was so good in the late 90's the 3rd and 4th titles were no where near as fun as the first 2 so I can relate to what your saying. Although beating the Mets did add a ton of excitement to the 4th

I'm a Yankee and Devil's fan, and it did get a little ridiculous there for a while where I just expected to win championships every other year at least.

Most of the people here don't remember how much of a joke those two organisations were in the 80s, so have not experienced this change in perception.

If you're under 30, and a Met, Islander, Knick, Jet fan then you don't know what it's like to win a championship, much less having a perennial contender . I get that, but it can all change rather quickly and I think it will sooner than later. I love the new management.  

This is just like 2002 where a dumb loss to the Bears meant we had to beat the defending Super Bowl Patriots to avoid elimination and set up a three-things-must-happen situation the following Sunday to get into the playoffs.

This year's dumb loss was to the Bills.  The question is, can we beat an elite, winning team in the Patriots?  It's been beaten to death of course, but we've beaten nothing but scrubs so far.  Yeah, I know we can only play the schedule we were given, but we haven't beaten a quality football team in years.  I hope we beat Dallas so that next Sunday is for huge marbles, MetLife will never have rocked so hard.

SAR I

If you look at our wins / losses in detail, you can see how fine the margins are between winning and losing in the modern NFL :

Two of our wins were against teams that are currently 3-10

Three of our wins have been against teams that are 5-8

Three of our wins, and four of our losses, have been against teams that are 6-7

One of our losses was against a team that is 11-2

So 10 of our 13 games have been against 5-8 / 6-7 teams, and we're 6-4 in those. Any one loss to a 6-7 team changes the narrative - for both teams - as both would be 7-6 (and we wouldn't be talking playoffs). Conversely, any one win against one of those 6-7 teams and we're in a much stronger position down the stretch.

Of our 5 losses, 4 have been by a single score (only Oakland was a two-score loss). But of our 8 wins, only 2 have been by one score (Jax, Gints).

So we are what we our record says we are - good enough to be just a little ahead of the pack, but not good enough to be looking into January just yet. But just one, maybe two scores here and there and we could either be booking playoff tickets ... or all hanging out in the draft forum looking at next year already.

SAR I

The Bills, Texans, Oakland, Eagles - all losses vs. bad teams that are haunting the Jets right now.

It would be cool to beat the Patriots but what does it matter?  Just to say they beat a good team as its some type of moral victory?  It doesnt prove anything other than in the NFL, any given Sunday.  Dont get me wrong, I'd do back flips if we beat them because I hate them but who you beat in the regular season means squat.  The Patriots havent beaten a good team this season.  Are they complaining at 11-2?  No.  Get into the playoffs and then you get to prove yourself. 

The Bills, Texans, Oakland, Eagles - all losses vs. bad teams that are haunting the Jets right now.

It would be cool to beat the Patriots but what does it matter?  Just to say they beat a good team as its some type of moral victory?  It doesnt prove anything other than in the NFL, any given Sunday.  Dont get me wrong, I'd do back flips if we beat them because I hate them but who you beat in the regular season means squat.  The Patriots havent beaten a good team this season.  Are they complaining at 11-2?  No.  Get into the playoffs and then you get to prove yourself. 

^^  Sexy and smart.

Eagles beat New England in Foxboro. Are the Eagles a bad team?

Oakland just beat Denver in Denver. Are they a bad team?

Texans are going to win the AFC South. Are they a bad team?

Bills........yeah they probably are bad.

As for the others, they are like us. Inconsistent.

Yes.  They are all bad teams.  

You're just proving my point that it doesnt mean anything.  Any given Sunday.

Yes.  They are all bad teams.  

You're just proving my point that it doesnt mean anything.  Any given Sunday.

Two of those 3 bad teams could be division champs. They are inconsistent teams. The Titans are a bad team. There is a difference.

An inconsistent team has the talent to be a good or great team but doesnt show it every week.

A bad team has little to no talent at all.

Two of those 3 bad teams could be division champs. They are inconsistent teams. The Titans are a bad team. There is a difference.

An inconsistent team has the talent to be a good or great team but doesnt show it every week.

A bad team has little to no talent at all.

So winning your division means you're a good team?  What if the division winner is 7-9?  They still a good team because they won the the division?

None of the teams you mentioned are even .500, playing in sh*t bag divisions (other than Oakland).  That's a pretty good indication they stink. 

So winning your division means you're a good team?  What if the division winner is 7-9?  They still a good team because they won the the division?

None of the teams you mentioned are even .500, playing in sh*t bag divisions (other than Oakland).  That's a pretty good indication they stink. 

Bad is different than inconsistent. I just explained the difference in my previous post. 

Remember the phrase 'any given Sunday'.  On any given Sunday, the Browns could beat either the Steelers or Chiefs.  The Ravens could beat either the Steelers or Chiefs. 

I wish it didn't come down to two of the worst teams in the NFL needing to pull of an 'any given Sunday' win, but there it is.

Look at it a different way.  Give KC and PIT a 75% chance of winning each of those four games.  and a 50% chance of beating the Broncos and Raiders each.  The probability of all six of those games turning out the wrong way for the Jets is 8%.  If you call all six games a 75% chance of the favorite winning, the odds go up to just 18%.  If the Jets win out, there is still a very, very good chance they will make the playoffs. 

SAR I

we are in much better shape than 2002

Remember the phrase 'any given Sunday'.  On any given Sunday, the Browns could beat either the Steelers or Chiefs.  The Ravens could beat either the Steelers or Chiefs. 

I wish it didn't come down to two of the worst teams in the NFL needing to pull of an 'any given Sunday' win, but there it is.

Look at it a different way.  Give KC and PIT a 75% chance of winning each of those four games.  and a 50% chance of beating the Broncos and Raiders each.  The probability of all six of those games turning out the wrong way for the Jets is 8%.  If you call all six games a 75% chance of the favorite winning, the odds go up to just 18%.  If the Jets win out, there is still a very, very good chance they will make the playoffs. 

Exactly.  The Eagles are a talented team, they just can't get out of their own way sometimes.  But when they're clicking they can beat anyone in the league.  Same goes for HOU, although they are really deficient at QB.  Sadly for them if the kept Fitz they'd probably be in a hell of a lot better shape.  Hoyer/Mallett/Yates is just plain hot garbage.  The parity in the NFL is such that you really can't be surprised at any team winning because frankly the difference between the worst team and some of the best teams are minimal.  Some teams have the talent and just don't know how to win.  Some teams don't really have the talent yet every week they seem to pull through.  There are so many factors to winning in the NFL.  Take CAR for example.  They're undefeated.  They're playing incredible football.  Would anyone, and I mean anyone, be surprised if they lose a game in the next 3 even fielding their starters trying to win out?  Short term history of this season alone shows they should in theory go undefeated.  Long term history shows they likely won't. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it's something I just realized.  The Jets could lose vs Dallas and still be in better shape than they are now come Monday.

Now, could finish 11-5 and miss playoffs.

Monday, hypothetically lose to Dallas and could be in control of our own destiny IF Pitt loses.  Basically Pitt losing makes our remaining NFC matchup meaningless.  

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it's something I just realized.  The Jets could lose vs Dallas and still be in better shape than they are now come Monday.

Now, could finish 11-5 and miss playoffs.

Monday, hypothetically lose to Dallas and could be in control of our own destiny IF Pitt loses.  Basically Pitt losing makes our remaining NFC matchup meaningless.  

Pitt aint losing rest of way, the key loss was Oak, that loss cost jets tybreaker with Pitt.

Or not the real deal ... pretenders. 

I'm a Yankee and Devil's fan, and it did get a little ridiculous there for a while where I just expected to win championships every other year at least.

Most of the people here don't remember how much of a joke those two organisations were in the 80s, so have not experienced this change in perception.

If you're under 30, and a Met, Islander, Knick, Jet fan then you don't know what it's like to win a championship, much less having a perennial contender . I get that, but it can all change rather quickly and I think it will sooner than later. I love the new management.  

Back when my family moved to NC in the 80s some kid at the neighborhood pool asked me what my favorite baseball team was. So I told him I am a Mets fan. His response, "You just like them because they win." OH YEAH WHERE ARE YOU NOW JOHNNY PEARSON? ;)

SAR I

Good post, and I totally agree. That Bills loss was an absolute killer -- we'll find out what this team is made of when they take on the Pats.

Archived