Our playoff scenarios from the experts

Jetup

Bottom line is: don't worry about the playoffs -- worry about winning games. Our season will still be a vast improvement if we end with a winning record. That, we can control. 

I would also also be happy with a winning record after the debacles of the past three years. A 10-6 record (I'm kind of assuming we lose to the Pats) would be great. 

Lets just focus on winning the last three games, and see where the chips fall.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

The Jets haven't beaten the Pats in over 3 years and haven't beaten the Bills in over 2 years.

The Jets have already lost to both the Pats and Bills this year.

Other than delusional homerism, what possibly makes you think the Jets can beat those 2 teams?

1.  Rex Ryan is no longer our coach so your first point is irrelevant.

2.  Teams can, and do, split games between divisional opponents.  Not sure if you're aware of that.

3.  The Jets are 8-5 and are saving their best football for the end of the season.  Teams can, and do, improve over the course of a season.  It's not delusional homerism to suggest the Jets can win both of those games.  It's delusional homerism to deny that the Patriots never cheat.

Saying that all 3 teams are gona win out is borderline crazy. Especially with the jets. I think we need to just focus a game at a time. Im sorry if we win out and go 11-5, and dont make the playoffs, thats a hell of a damn season that absolutely nobody predicted offseason. Coming off a 4 win season id say were headed in right direction. But getting back to the point, its highly unlikely all 3 teams win out. This is the NFL were upsets happen every week. Idc how easy a schedule is, not 1 win is guaranteed. Absolutely should not be takin cowboys lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

The Jets haven't beaten the Pats in over 3 years and haven't beaten the Bills in over 2 years.

Other than delusional homerism, what possibly makes you think the Jets can beat those 2 teams?

Yes, because this Jets team is exactly the same one from two years ago and no team has ever split a divisional series. The Jets have no shot, it's science.

Why?

I choose to be a delusional homer on my own teams message board until they make it impossible.  So kiss my fat ass.

the thing different about this season is, if the jets don't make the playoffs it won't be b/c they choked.  it will be b/c there were 6 teams with better records than they had.  and i can't wait until mccags has another crack at reshaping the roster this offseason.  playoffs or not this team is headed in the right direction and fitz can be the qb for a few more years until they find someone else.  there's no desperation at qb anymore.  even with a tougher schedule next season, the jets should be able to hang with most good teams with this talent base, and another offseason to retool the entire offense.

so b/c we lost to both teams earlier this year means we cannot beat them now? how did you guys ever beat the rams in that 1st SB?

The Giants lost to the Pats last week of 2007 before beating them in the Super Bowl.  They also lost twice to the Cowboys and to the Packers during the season and beat them all to make the big game.  In 2011, the Giants beat the Pats in the regular season, but lost to the Packers and Niners who they had to beat to get back to the Super bowl.  That is why they play the games. 

The Jets are not playoff bound.  Get used to it.  It will be easier to stomach when they win 10 games and are watching a 7-9 AFCS team get blown out in the first round by the Chiefs in their own stadium.

I think the odds are better that we do make the playoffs than they were at the start of the season.

For me I'm okay as long as we're playing meaningful games right to the end of the season. I hate being out of it and playing for pride.

Your way none of our games are meaningful, because you are afraid of the bad feelings. Sounds like a boring way to look at the world. 

You guys act as if the Steelers and KC cant possibly lose a game and they most certainly can ...We are talking about 6 games here between the 2 teams ..Its not like its the last week of the season

I'm very confident KC for sure will find a way to lose 1 of their 3 remaining games, opening the door for us. 

I think the odds are better that we do make the playoffs than they were at the start of the season.

For me I'm okay as long as we're playing meaningful games right to the end of the season. I hate being out of it and playing for pride.

Your way none of our games are meaningful, because you are afraid of the bad feelings. Sounds like a boring way to look at the world. 

At 4-1, the Jets had a 78% chance of making the playoffs.  What are they now?  

I like preparing for the worst.  It makes the best that much better and the worst easier to stomach.  If you're different, cool man.  That's groovy.  

I remind myself that at halftime of the Giants game, just one week ago, I had completely written this team off.  The turnaround in optimism since then is remarkable but I cling to the negativity to keep myself safe from the deadliest of creatures - hope.

The best would be if the team in my back yard hosts a playoff game at 7-9 and the Jets miss at 10-6 or 11-5.  I might be suicidal that week.  

The remedy to all this would be to just stay in El Salvador and never return when I head down there in 2 weeks.

I hear ya, it just stings starting 4-1 with the losses they suffered - Bills, Texans, Raiders, Eagles - ugh.  They all suck and it just took 1 win from one of those bums.

exctly. Just one win out of that four and we would be in great shape.   Honestly we could be 10-3 right now. 

I already made my peace with it. It ain't happening. We aren't winning out and dropping at least one and in that case, KC or Pitt ain't losing twice. It is OK though. I liked what I saw from this team. If they told me 10-6 before the season, I would have signed up. 

With Bowles and Mac future looks bright. That's what matters. If those 2 guys are really what they look like they are then we will make the playoffs regularly in the next 15-20 years anyway. 

Agree 100% it has been fun to watch football again, 10 wins would be great, playoffs would be nice but not expected

You guys act as if the Steelers and KC cant possibly lose a game and they most certainly can ...We are talking about 6 games here between the 2 teams ..Its not like its the last week of the season

Waiting on the Cheifs to lay a couple eggs... Ravens/Oakland perhaps

Agree 100% it has been fun to watch football again, 10 wins would be great, playoffs would be nice but not expected

But Millennials told us that a year without a Super Bowl is a total waste and that 1 win is better than 11 for draft picks

why shouldn't we be confident and hopeful ? That's what sports is all about

I wouldn't say I was confident, but I sure have hope. I believe these other guys do too. They're trying to convince themselves that they don't, not realizing it's impossible to lie to yourself.

If they're watching the games, and they get mad when something goes wrong then they were not at peace with losing.

If they have truly given up at this point then they don't get sports. You need the lows to truly appreciate the highs. 

Why?

overall, because the jets are playing their best football right now, and are healthy.  

the jets typically play the pats tough.  the game is at home.  the pats don't have as much incentive as the jets do.  they aren't as healthy as the jets.

the bills will have been eliminated from the playoffs, and it will be basically be a playoff game for the jets.  the jets are playing better football right now than the bills are. 

Pats own the Steelers, especially in the playoffs.

That game would be nothing more than a warm-up game for the Pats heading into the AFCCG.

What do you think this years playoff cheating scandal will be?  We've got deflated footballs, headsets going out, spying on the sidelines, spying on practices... This year, I'm thinking Belichick finds a way to fill opposing teams Gatorade with laxatives.  Or, maybe drones?  Maybe he'll have drones.

Ya pats secondary will have no problem with Bryant  Wheaton and Brown lmao

Every time I see that kid, I'm still stunned that Idiotzik didn't have the one brain cell you'd need to draft Bryant.  Outside of OBJ, he is the best young receiver in the NFL.   Speed, hands, toughness, understanding of field presence; he has all the tools.  

And now that Wheaton comes out of nowhere playing at a high level, Pittsburgh is going to be a tough out for anyone.  That is if Ben doesn't get hurt or Tomlin sh*ts the bed again.

The Jets just need to win because any loss gives us basically slim to no chance. I just read this morning we are working out some players to replace D. Smith on the roster. Whoever we do sign, I hope will be an asset on the ST unit. It would greatly help our chances if that unit can pick it up over the next 3 weeks. As far as Pitt, they have their hands full w/ a stingy Denver D. Also the Chiefs will probably beat Baltimore, but still have to play Oakland. The Browns are my second favorite team at the moment, I am hoping Johnny Football can lead them to some wins, and Pettine's D shows up the next couple of weeks.

I remind myself that at halftime of the Giants game, just one week ago, I had completely written this team off.  The turnaround in optimism since then is remarkable but I cling to the negativity to keep myself safe from the deadliest of creatures - hope.

games/moments like that happen all the time. 

I am sure in 1968 Jet fans lost some hope when they lost to 1 win Buffalo

I am sure in 1981 when they were 0-3 they gave up hope

in 1982 when they got beat the final week of the reg season I am sure fans gave up

in 1986 on the 5 game losing streak I am sure no one thought we could compete in postseason

in 1991 losing to an awful Pats team at home in week 15 made us give up hope

in 1998 when we lost to an awful Colts team to fall to 6-4

2001 when we lost to a terrible Bills team in week 16

2002 when we were 1-4/2-5 then when we lost to a bad Chi team in week 15

2004 when we lost our last 2 games

2006 when we lost to Buffalo at home

2009 when we lost 5 of 6 then when we lost to Atl at home in week 15

2010 when we got crushed by NE then lost to a mediocre Miami team 6 days later

there are always moments in good seasons where the team isn't playing their best or may lose a game they are not supposed to.

The Jets just need to win because any loss gives us basically slim to no chance. I just read this morning we are working out some players to replace D. Smith on the roster. Whoever we do sign, I hope will be an asset on the ST unit. It would greatly help our chances if that unit can pick it up over the next 3 weeks. As far as Pitt, they have their hands full w/ a stingy Denver D. Also the Chiefs will probably beat Baltimore, but still have to play Oakland. The Browns are my second favorite team at the moment, I am hoping Johnny Football can lead them to some wins, and Pettine's D shows up the next couple of weeks.

realistically a loss doesn't hurt us too bad other than stopping momentum.  whether we win or lose we need Pitt or KC to lose(or Den to lose twice).  if we lose to Dallas and win our final 2 then Pitt loses a game we beat out Pitt.  if we win our last 3 and Pitt wins their last 3 they make it over us so either way we likely need Pitt to lose.  the only way we win out, Pitt and KC win out and we make it is if Den loses 2 and if we lose to dallas Den would need to lose all 3.

Archived