Quincy Enunwa

Villain The Foe

It's obvious the coaching staff like Enunwas upside compared to Amaro. I keep reiterating to you guys actual inside information regarding Amaros 1st camp. HE'S NOT A HARD WORKER! HE'S SOFT! Chubby soft. 

One thing Bowles did in camp was separate the guys based on who was in shape, and who was not. Amaro was send to the island of out of shape NFL players. Guys like Ertz & Eifert are athletic freaks compared to Amaro. He was a really bad pick in the 2nd round. We needed WRs. We could have had Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief or John Brown, enough said.

Like someone else pointed out this guy has been MIA since surgery, not one sighting, not one story? Could you imagine how Jarvis Landry would have lifted our special teams this year? Thank god Pryor is coming around (looks to be a leader too).

Enunwa reminds me of a poor mans Anquan Boldin, but who knows what Enunwas upside is? He's young, he's built beastly, someone likened him to Cotchery, Cothery is a peanut next to Quincy. Size wise, that's a formidable group out there with Brandon, Decker & Quincy. With Chung & McCourty banged up, they'll be a handful for the Pats CBs & backup safeties.

I don't know what Enunwa's speed is, but I will say as far as build/size is concerned he reminds me of Terrell Owens. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what Enunwa's speed is, but I will say as far as build/size is concerned he reminds me of Terrell Owens. 

WOW.  Glad you asked that question, it made me curious.  According to this http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107139&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR    he has top shelf speed.   Official time of 4.44.  That's 0.02 off Devin Smith, with a low of 4.34.  that's pretty good speed for a 6'2" 225# guy.

Quincy fooled me too. I was so pissed at him a few weeks back after 1 of his drops, I wanted him cut. Very glad I was wrong.

Yeah, me too.  I've been super hard on the guy just because he doesnt look fluid in anything he does.  Drops, missed blocks, he was doing it all at the being of the season and looking awful in the process.  But, he's played really well as of late and has had some crucial catches.

You have to catch the ball, it doesn't matter if you are a rookie or a 12 year vet.  Early on Enumwa did not catch the ball and whiffed on some blocks.

You have to catch the ball?  Really?  Everyone drops passes, even 12 year vets.  They even whiff on blocks; even Stevie Wonder can see he improved in both areas as the season progressed.  

You have to catch the ball?  Really?  Everyone drops passes, even 12 year vets.  They even whiff on blocks; even Stevie Wonder can see he improved in both areas as the season progressed.  

Every rookie or 2nd year guy that drops passes and keeps dropping them is gone.  When you are a late round pick you have to show something good early on to gt those additional chances, Enunwa obviously did show something to the staff because he kept getting chances even after looking pretty terrible in some of his early games.

Shaq Evans obviously did not.

WOW.  Glad you asked that question, it made me curious.  According to this http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107139&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR    he has top shelf speed.   Official time of 4.44.  That's 0.02 off Devin Smith, with a low of 4.34.  that's pretty good speed for a 6'2" 225# guy.

I remember reading an article about Owens back in the draft.  That was the year I think 5 guys were taken in the first round or something like that.  I remember one scout recounting that they were all so focused on the first round prospects, but yet here was this guy who was built like and ran like a thoroughbred horse, and how every single shred of the guy said that he would be a stud, but that because he was relatively unknown from a small school he just couldn't bring himself to take the chance. 

That does seem to be what happened.  Also early in the season on a few plays it seemed to me that Enunwa wasn't going after the ball aggressively.  Looking at that gif it sure seems to have been coached into him.   

QE is a player that has been developed by this staff. An Idzik pick at that. Shows that there may be hope for a few others besides Pryor and Winters. With The Turk visiting Coples, I would not put any money on Amaro

Every rookie or 2nd year guy that drops passes and keeps dropping them is gone.  When you are a late round pick you have to show something good early on to gt those additional chances, Enunwa obviously did show something to the staff because he kept getting chances even after looking pretty terrible in some of his early games.

Shaq Evans obviously did not.

I think Smith and Amaro being hurt worked out in his favor.  While he was inconsistent, he displayed enough skill (especially blocking) and talent to make the team.  If he had not shown any improvement than he would replaced at some point.   Shaq dropped WAY too many passes in camp and preseason and never really had a chance. 

QE is a player that has been developed by this staff. An Idzik pick at that. Shows that there may be hope for a few others besides Pryor and Winters. With The Turk visiting Coples, I would not put any money on Amaro

Difference is Coples flat out sucked. Amaro just needs to stay healthy. 

I guess you win some and lose some.  

if they can re-sign Fitzpatrick, the Jets will pick up a QB and WR having Pro Bowl like seasons for 5th and 6th round draft picks.

But the Amaro, Milliner and Smith picks have the potential for disaster.

These WRs, and QBs, basically need a redshirt year.  Hopefully Amaro comes back in shape and focused.  They should have kept Walter Powell or that other guy and IR'd Devin Smith in 2015.  I think he may need to get IR'd in 2016-if he cannot get in a 6 months of hardcore strength training and conditioning before camp, save him for 2017.

I'm not sure where this coached up bullsh*t comes from, but after high school, college, a year on the practice squad and half a season Karl Dorrell did not suddenly teach this kid to catch.  There were plenty of times in 2014 camp when we read about Enunwa making tough grabs and no drops to my memory.  It isn't unusual for guys to have trouble adjusting to actual game speed and make mental mistakes, like drops.  Particularly guys who are playing out of position and having blocking as their primary function.  For some the game slows down and they become players.  Others remain inconsistent and end up out of the league.

Hopefully he continues to develop as a Tight End. Maybe then when Amaro comes back we can run double TE sets like Hernadez and Gronk. I really want to make the playoffs but a better reason is to continue to see our guys play this year. We have a few players on the come up that I'm not ready to wait till' next season to examine closer.

I don't think he will ever sniff being an NFL in-line TE.  I doubt he weighs more than 235.  He's about 30-40 lbs light for a real TE role.  Amaro is probably too small to take the Kellen Davis (ick!) role.

He's played really really well of late no question about it.  I had already called him a crappy jag thus I was wrong.  He has to keep catching the ball and he'll have a future long term.

I think I had this semantic argument before, but I like him and still consider him kind of a JAG.  Just not a crappy one.  He belongs on the field, but nobody is gameplanning for him.  I have less of a hate for JAGs and

True. I would have loved to see Amaro in this defense though. I know that the word on Gailey is that he doesnt really utilize TE's, I think its more about not really having quality at the position at the time, though I could be wrong. 

If Amaro has a unique ability I think Gailey is the man to utilize it. Our OC has Bilal Powell looking like a stud the last 3 weeks, especially in the receiving game. 

I thought Gailey was Mr. Use What I've Got?  He was WR coach at Pittsburgh when they had Eric Green, but they let Green walk before he took over.  He's gotten some nice seasons from journeymen.  LaFleur in Dallas, Bruener in Pittsburgh and Chandler in Buffalo.  I don't think Enunwa or Amaro are much TEs  so much as WR that can be used to block a bit. 

As FlaJetfan mentioned in an earlier post, he is like Richard Caster from years hence. Caster (88) also had the dropsies in his first year, eventually became a tight end...

Rich Caster was a top level athlete.  Enunwa has nice numbers, but Caster was much more polished to my memory..

Could be, but man would that be pretty wreckless to give up on a guy without even getting him on the field for some pre-season games.  Maybe they cut him in the offseason, I dunno.

Amaro seems like a pretty weird dude. I don't think it'd be surprising if he went all Johnny Mitchell on the team and just walked away 

Amaro seems like a pretty weird dude. I don't think it'd be surprising if he went all Johnny Mitchell on the team and just walked away 

He's one of those guys that makes everything seem like its most the difficult thing he's ever done.  

Giving an interview, getting up after being tackled, catching a football, putting on his pads, practicing, watching film - all these simple little things just seem like they are climbing Mt. Everest with him.  Weird dude, for sure.  I wouldnt be surprised if he retired in the offseason. 

True. I would have loved to see Amaro in this defense though. I know that the word on Gailey is that he doesnt really utilize TE's, I think its more about not really having quality at the position at the time, though I could be wrong. 

If Amaro has a unique ability I think Gailey is the man to utilize it. Our OC has Bilal Powell looking like a stud the last 3 weeks, especially in the receiving game. 

He used Scott Chandler quite a bit in Buffalo, particularly in the red zone.

You have to catch the ball, it doesn't matter if you are a rookie or a 12 year vet.  Early on Enumwa did not catch the ball and whiffed on some blocks.

No, there has always been a learning curve.  It's a lot more than just running out and catching the ball, this is pet HS football.

No, there has always been a learning curve.  It's a lot more than just running out and catching the ball, this is pet HS football.

Pro game is so much faster. Recievers and QB being on the same page 10 yard route is 10 yards not rounded to 11 or 12. QBs release the throw at or before the break is made. Being able to focus and anticipate you are being thrown to is crucial. In college you have more time to read and react to the throw. Few college players have had these traits demanded of them. Just the way it is.

Pro game is so much faster. Recievers and QB being on the same page 10 yard route is 10 yards not rounded to 11 or 12. QBs release the throw at or before the break is made. Being able to focus and anticipate you are being thrown to is crucial. In college you have more time to read and react to the throw. Few college players have had these traits demanded of them. Just the way it is.

exactly.  There are also a lot more options on every route in the NFL compared to the college game.  Amazing that people don't realize this and would think you just run around and catch passes as an NFL WR.  

FWIW, he does tweet "Go Jets!" or something to that effect every game day.  I saw it when I was trying to see if he posted anything about his rehab and if he was in NY/NJ with the team.  Seems like he is in Texas and doesn't mention his rehab much.

What if any proof do you have of this?

He was drafted by Idzik ahead of guys that should have been taken like Bryant/Robinson, therefore 90pct of this board will hate him (like Pryor) until he comes back and plays well  next year. That is how this board rolls. Jace played well last year for a rookie. Nothing about him reeks of being soft or like Johnny Mitchel. Nothing. In fact, I found Amaro to  be someone who wanted to be great. 

I remember a bunch of SOJF's bashing Amaro for not returning to practice from his "soft" injury, meanwhile he eventually needed surgery and  was put on Injured reserve ending his season. Last season, playing with Geno, Jace still managed 38 catches, which isn't bad for a rookie TE playing with a crappy QB. Meanwhile, everyone is going crazy for Enunwa and his 19 catches. Maybe he'll be better than Jace, but I am happy we will have both ready for next year. 

FWIW, he does tweet "Go Jets!" or something to that effect every game day.  I saw it when I was trying to see if he posted anything about his rehab and if he was in NY/NJ with the team.  Seems like he is in Texas and doesn't mention his rehab much.

The injury claim itself seemed a bit dubious. I recall Bowles seeming a bit exasperated every time he was asked about why Amaro wasn't practicing. 

He was drafted by Idzik ahead of guys that should have been taken like Bryant/Robinson, therefore 90pct of this board will hate him (like Pryor) until he comes back and plays well  next year. That is how this board rolls. Jace played well last year for a rookie. Nothing about him reeks of being soft or like Johnny Mitchel. Nothing. In fact, I found Amaro to  be someone who wanted to be great. 

I remember a bunch of SOJF's bashing Amaro for not returning to practice from his "soft" injury, meanwhile he eventually needed surgery and  was put on Injured reserve ending his season. Last season, playing with Geno, Jace still managed 38 catches, which isn't bad for a rookie TE playing with a crappy QB. Meanwhile, everyone is going crazy for Enunwa and his 19 catches. Maybe he'll be better than Jace, but I am happy we will have both ready for next year. 

I mean, we hope he wants to be great, or good, or whatever, but the early returns aren't encouraging. Ion saying this as a dude who wanted to use our first round pick on him.

What is he rehabbing again? Was it a back issue or did he tear something? 

What is he rehabbing again? Was it a back issue or did he tear something? 

Torn labrum.  He hurt his shoulder in the first preseason game.  I didn't hear about surgery or him getting IR'ed until the last game.  He was dealing with back issues earlier.  Could be telling that they didn't use the recall IR position on him.  They used that on Millner who is at a spot they are stacked at and they don't appear to like Millner much either. 

The rotoworld blurbs from Cimini are funny.  In May he says Amaro will benefit big time from Gailey.  The next blurb is that Cimini is underwhelmed and doesn't see Amaro as a "60 catch TE"  Guess he really sucked in practice.  If Cimini is citing a "lack of urgency" I would say the guy is too laid back.

Archived