Lose Mo AND Sheldon?

PCP63

Of course we'll have to get rid of one of them, but what about getting rid of both?

Mo is obvious. Coming off of a broken leg (which isn't close to as bad as a ligament issue, but still), will demand a huge contract. He's a great player, and he gets sacks, but doesn't provide the SPEED off the edge that we need. Not too informed on how transition tags and stuff work, so maybe there's a way we could get compensatory picks out of him. 

Sheldon? As much as I love his versatility at the 3, he obviously has character issues and may have a lengthy suspension next season. I think we should trade him for picks and spend money getting a solid edge rusher and an OLB in the draft.

Obviously re-sign Snacks. Won't command as much, no character issues, harder to find quality noses, etc.

Our great DL was supposed to change our defense. It didn't. With a solid edge rusher, and not having complete scrubs at LB, we should be solid on defense (once we rid ourselves of Cro as well, of course).

We have so many other issues to address. I love Mo as a Jet, but we simply cannot warrant that price tag when we have so many other needs. 

If we had an edge rusher, an OLB, a third WR, an OL, etc., I'd want to tag him. But we should save the cap space and let him go, IMO.

We have so many other issues to address. I love Mo as a Jet, but we simply cannot warrant that price tag when we have so many other needs. 

If we had an edge rusher, an OLB, a third WR, an OL, etc., I'd want to tag him. But we should save the cap space and let him go, IMO.

i remember posts like this about Revis in 2012.

agreed...we might miss the playoffs. Heaven forbid.:huh:

Fine, then you'll probably be the first one crying when the defense is sh*t, and wanting to fire everyone. Jets have to keep some talent from the guys they drafted. If you were expecting playoffs year one, I'm sorry. 

Just where do you want the money to go?

And it was just as true then. Our DBs were terrible due to sh*tty drafting. Nothing can make up for sh*tty drafting.

So when we draft good players, we should let them walk? ...

And then hope that 3rd round pick we get back we can turn into a good player?

And when he doesn't work out, fire everyone, Cuz that's how u build a winner.

No. We let them walk when their price tags become too high, they don't fit our scheme, and we have much more pressing needs with limited cap space.

No. We let them walk when their price tags become too high, they don't fit our scheme, and we have much more pressing needs with limited cap space.

12 sacks and he doesn't fit the scheme? i can see slapping the tag on him and trying to get market value in a trade.. but I'm not letting Mo walk for a 3rd round pick and cap relief.

Yeah, let's get rid of the only guy who can consistently get to the QB so we can draft another guy who might or might not be able to consistently get to the QB.

This is such a misnomer. We spent 100 millon on our secondary, our supposed GREAT players better get to the QB. I'm sorry but I guarantee if you go back & look at all 12 sacks more than half came against sh*tty backup Olineman, or coverage sacks. Very few are of the WOW he got shot out of a cannon variety. Mos a good player, he's also playing with Richardson & Snacks who every talking head said was a top 5 Dline. 

I watched a Monday night football game where Aaron Donald just dominated! Mo is not a DOMINATOR and disappears way too much for my liking in big spots. This "give him what he wants" Jet fan mentality makes me sick. Thank god we finally have a smart GM in Mac. He might Franchise him just so we don't ruin our future cap. We'll see.

I'd let Mo walk, buy more time with Sheldon (DT is a cheaper franchise tag too), and use the saved $15 million from letting Mo walk to sign 1 or 2 premium free agents.  Maybe make a run at Von Miller?

I agree with this, time to add speed & versatility to this LB core so our CBs can go to work. Our CBs are constantly covering our slow as sh*t LBs azzes. When's the last time this team could cover a back out of the backfield?

A f*cking nobody like White for the Pats jukes out our LB for an easy game tying TD...shocking! NOT!

Yes, let's gut the defense. And watch these guys haunt us for the rest of their playing careers in NE, Mia and Buffalo.

2 points.  First, we need to do what is best for the Jets, can't move forward if you are always worried about what a player will do when you release him; Okay, don't release him, maybe you trade him (and not within the division).

Secondly, these aren't absolutes.  It isn't sign him or don't sign him. SNY is always saying 'pay the man'; sure sounds great, but what it comes down to is this: 

What does the player want vs. what are you going to pay and what can you get for him?

How good are you with the player vs. how good are you if you trade him and replace him with other players?

I would love to keep the DL together, but at what cost?  If you keep Mo and Sheldon is there money left over for anyone else? Are we better off with both, or with one and a FA/drafted player in the OLB?  I would say probably the later.  But it depends on who the OLB is and how much do you pay for him?

With that Cap, it isn't as simple as pay the man.  We have one defensive player taking up 15 million, how many more do you think we should have?  How are we better, 3 great DL and a great run-stopper or 2 great DL and a run stopper and a great OLB?

I agree with this, time to add speed & versatility to this LB core so our CBs can go to work. Our CBs are constantly covering our slow as sh*t LBs azzes. When's the last time this team could cover a back out of the backfield?

A f*cking nobody like White for the Pats jukes out our LB for an easy game tying TD...shocking! NOT!

The only 3-4 end that's better than Mo Wilk at getting to the QB is JJ Watt.... but clearly you already knew that. You have a great grasp of our defense and how it functions. You also understand the inadequacies of our LB corps and the correlation with pass rush and containment of said James Whites of the league... You just forgot momentarily when you were typing.. It's ok. It happens. 

First of all, if we wanted to lock up Mo for the long term, we should have done it 2 years ago. This year, he knew he was going to make a big pay day and now we have no leverage.

Also, I doubt we trade him for a 3rd.  Some may argue we can get a 1st if not more.  The point is you know what it will take to keep him you either pay for a long term deal, franchise tag him, or franchise tag him and let him walk.  Sure it is easy to say, pay him, but at what cost.

He is great and very professional, I would be okay signing him and trading Sheldon.  Or signing him, and trading Sheldon when he is ready to be signed, or Signing Sheldon (with some clauses about behavior) and trading Mo.  Just don't see how you can keep both for more than a year or 2.

First of all, if we wanted to lock up Mo for the long term, we should have done it 2 years ago. This year, he knew he was going to make a big pay day and now we have no leverage.

Agreed... but I think that's what it looks like when you gamble and it backfires. We've taken 4 Dlineman in the past 5 years and I'm assuming there was some dice rolling with Mo Wilk and the development of Coples, Richardson etc. 

Didn't pan out. Oh well. Eat it, pay the man and move on. 

Of course we'll have to get rid of one of them, but what about getting rid of both?

Mo is obvious. Coming off of a broken leg (which isn't close to as bad as a ligament issue, but still), will demand a huge contract. He's a great player, and he gets sacks, but doesn't provide the SPEED off the edge that we need. Not too informed on how transition tags and stuff work, so maybe there's a way we could get compensatory picks out of him. 

Sheldon? As much as I love his versatility at the 3, he obviously has character issues and may have a lengthy suspension next season. I think we should trade him for picks and spend money getting a solid edge rusher and an OLB in the draft.

Obviously re-sign Snacks. Won't command as much, no character issues, harder to find quality noses, etc.

Our great DL was supposed to change our defense. It didn't. With a solid edge rusher, and not having complete scrubs at LB, we should be solid on defense (once we rid ourselves of Cro as well, of course).

So youre brilliant idea is to devalue a player because he broke his leg?  A broken leg?  

And then trade him at that lowered value?

And its OBVIOUS?  LOL, Obvious to who?

Never ceases to amaze me how people undervalue Mo.  Smart teams dont trade their best player to grab a player they hope and pray may be as good as the one they had

Fine, then you'll probably be the first one crying when the defense is sh*t, and wanting to fire everyone. Jets have to keep some talent from the guys they drafted. If you were expecting playoffs year one, I'm sorry. 

Just where do you want the money to go?

I'm no GM, and dont pretend to be BUT, we have drafted DL since REX is here and we have SHLT to show for it.

How do the jets have no leverage on Mo? He's coming off an injury and they have the franchise tag to use. Sounds like leverage to me.

Franchise tag is a huge hit to the Cap, and Mo will not be happy with it.  And then next year you have even less leverage as the tag goes up by at least 20%.

Broken leg may lower price a bit, but will make Mo even more unhappy with a one year deal; he will want some guarantees.

Yes, we can franchise Mo for a year and then let him walk; can't afford to franchise again and risk not trading him.

Archived