Some Options at each position of need for FA

CanadaSteve

Given that some choices like Von Miller will not be available, and that the QB market is quite bare (and the fact Fitz will probably be back), here are 5 ( or so) options at each position who are all under the age of 30 and their 2015 salary to gauge what could be available for some of our positions of need:

WR

1. Jermaine Kearse          $2.3 million
  2. Mohamed Sanu            $1.6 million
  3. Alshon Jeffrey               $1.4 million (probably not realistic given his price tag he will want)
  4. Travis Benjamin            $780K
  5. Marvin Jones                $700K

TE

1. Jermaine Gresham       $3.1 million
  2. Coby Fleener                $1.7 million
  3. Dwayne Allen                $1.7 million
  4. Rheit Ellison                  $1.6 million
  5. Ladarius Green             $770K

RT

1. Andre Smith                 $6.3 million (will probably command too much money)
  2. Joe Barksdale              $2.0 million
  3. Mitchell Schwartz         $1.6 million
  4. Don Barclay                 $1.5 million
  5. Bobby Massie              $1.4 million

GUARD

1. Alex Boone                $3.7 million
  2. Ted Larsen                 $2.4 million
  3. Brandon Brooks         $1.6 million
  4. Shelly Smith              $1.4 million
  5. Kelechi Osemele       $1.0 million

**Evan Mathis was $2.9 million and could possibly be had as a stop-gab for a year or two, but is on the wrong side of 30

OLB

1. Aldon Smith              $3.00 million
  2. Bruce Irvin                $2.8 million
  3. Nick Perry                 $2.3 million
  4. Courtney Upshaw     $1.6 million
  5. Sam Acho                 $550K
  6. Junior Galette           $413K

**Along with Von Miller, Lamarr Woodley, Chad Greenway, Tambi Hali, Dwight Freeney are all available as well. 

ILB

1. Sean Weatherspoon            $3.8 million
  2. Vincent Rey                         $3.1 million
  3. Rolando McClain                 $2.6 million
  4. Shea McClellin                     $2.6 million
  5. Sean Spence                       $816K

**We have Jamari Lattimore and Erin Henderson of our own in FA, but Erin will be 30 by the time the season starts.

CB

1. Sean Smith                 $7.0 million
  2. Prince Amukamara     $6.8 million
  3. Jerraud Powers          $5.3 million
  4. Morris Claiborne         $6.8 million
  5. Nolan Carrol               $2.9 million
  6. Josh Norman              $1.5 million
  7. Janoris Jenkins          $1.5 million

COMMENTS.....GO!

nice list, thanks for posting. I think Brandon Brooks could be one to watch, obviously has the Maccagnan connection having bee not rated when he was in Houston. Young, talented and long term starter experience, cost is the question. Would then look at trying to draft a RT 

Also really like Dwayne Allen at TE although would be interested if this years reclamation project could be Marcedes Lewis. An experienced and talented veteran off a couple of down years but still young enough to have something to offer, would either push or support Amaro. Anyone know what the deal was with him the last couple of years?

Same here.  Which makes his lack of usage in Week 17 even more maddening.  No reason whatsoever not to just run him into the ground in a win-and-in situation when you have little concern over his future. 

I don't think they trusted him that last game not to fumble, had a couple of drops during the winning run and I think that is the main reason for his lack of game time in Buffalo and why I don't think he's in the future plans. still maddening that he didn't get more carries especially after he busted that big run.

Bobby Massie.  If we end up with no one of significance in free agency EXCEPT this guy, I will give this offseason at least a B.  He's a bruising run-blocker we've needed ever since Damien Woody retired.

Bruce Irvin would be awesome, but Macc would have to do some serious trickery with the cap space to make that happen.  Basically it would require a tag & trade of Wilkerson to even think about being able to afford Irvin.

Since the Bengals are likely locking up Marvin Jones, I'd take a look at Mohamed Sanu.  Another nice tall (6-2) target that would fit Gailey's scheme. 

ILB I'd prefer to address in the draft.  We can't really afford to put a lot money into the other ILB spot when we're already paying Harris handsomely and will likely need to let Demario Davis go.  Get younger and more athletic via the draft.  Add 2 ILB's if needed.

We will have $30 million or so when FA hits.

Pretty much any of these moves we make might require moving Wilkerson, unless we're dead set on letting go nearly all of our current UFA's.  You can't bring back Wilk on the franchise tag (without an extension) AND sign Bobbie Massie AND re-sign Fitzpatrick AND re-sign Chris Ivory AND re-sign Bilal Powell without some true wizardry out of Macc.

what do you think massie gets? 

If you use the June 1st cut, Kerley saves us $2,500,000 with only $600,000 in dead money. Cro is $8,000,000 with $0 in dead money, Breno on June 1st is $4,500,000 in saved money and $625,000 in dead money, and Brick on June 1st is $10,375,000 in saved money and $3,732,000 in dead money. That comes to $25,375,000 in cap savings. 

esch team is only allowed 2 June 1st designations a year just so you know 

Bobby Massie.  If we end up with no one of significance in free agency EXCEPT this guy, I will give this offseason at least a B.  He's a bruising run-blocker we've needed ever since Damien Woody retired.

Bruce Irvin would be awesome, but Macc would have to do some serious trickery with the cap space to make that happen.  Basically it would require a tag & trade of Wilkerson to even think about being able to afford Irvin.

Since the Bengals are likely locking up Marvin Jones, I'd take a look at Mohamed Sanu.  Another nice tall (6-2) target that would fit Gailey's scheme. 

ILB I'd prefer to address in the draft.  We can't really afford to put a lot money into the other ILB spot when we're already paying Harris handsomely and will likely need to let Demario Davis go.  Get younger and more athletic via the draft.  Add 2 ILB's if needed.

jets could have all the cap space , and I still don't think they would get Bruce Irvin.  he probably ending up with the Jaguars, Raiders , or Atlanta.( scheme similar with Seattle+ coaches he has relationship with)) 

Bruce Irvin has battled assortment of injuries this year( could care less how many sacks he had this year ) what he is is three down lb whose  very good in coverage.  One of those three team coaches will be all over him.( they know what he's capable of doing in their defense).

I am with you up until D'Brick.  We just can't toss away our starting LT who has pretty well never missed a snap.  There are two types of teams in this league, those with starting caliber LTs and those desperately looking for starting caliber LTs.  If we do let D'Brick walk then any and all of other other team needs get pushed down the list behind LT.

And yet I see that a$$ Brady playing behind a bunch of UDFA(due to injuries) and he doesn't get touched. Getting the ball out of your hand in under 2.5 seconds helps with that.

As does all those "Rub" routs to Edelman/Gronk.

Mostly "meh."  I like Dwayne Allen though.   Not a star but a well balanced TE that would upgrade both running and passing games.   His price tag should be fair and not Free Agent inflated.  

Also, he does the little things well unlike "knucklehead" Amaro.    

Ladarius Green is more flare than substance.  Doesn't fit Chan's offense and will probably be overpaid based on "potential. "

Given that some choices like Von Miller will not be available, and that the QB market is quite bare (and the fact Fitz will probably be back), here are 5 ( or so) options at each position who are all under the age of 30 and their 2015 salary to gauge what could be available for some of our positions of need:

WR

1. Jermaine Kearse          $2.3 million
  2. Mohamed Sanu            $1.6 million
  3. Alshon Jeffrey               $1.4 million (probably not realistic given his price tag he will want)
  4. Travis Benjamin            $780K
  5. Marvin Jones                $700K

TE

1. Jermaine Gresham       $3.1 million
  2. Coby Fleener                $1.7 million
  3. Dwayne Allen                $1.7 million
  4. Rheit Ellison                  $1.6 million
  5. Ladarius Green             $770K

RT

1. Andre Smith                 $6.3 million (will probably command too much money)
  2. Joe Barksdale              $2.0 million
  3. Mitchell Schwartz         $1.6 million
  4. Don Barclay                 $1.5 million
  5. Bobby Massie              $1.4 million

GUARD

1. Alex Boone                $3.7 million
  2. Ted Larsen                 $2.4 million
  3. Brandon Brooks         $1.6 million
  4. Shelly Smith              $1.4 million
  5. Kelechi Osemele       $1.0 million

**Evan Mathis was $2.9 million and could possibly be had as a stop-gab for a year or two, but is on the wrong side of 30

OLB

1. Aldon Smith              $3.00 million
  2. Bruce Irvin                $2.8 million
  3. Nick Perry                 $2.3 million
  4. Courtney Upshaw     $1.6 million
  5. Sam Acho                 $550K
  6. Junior Galette           $413K

**Along with Von Miller, Lamarr Woodley, Chad Greenway, Tambi Hali, Dwight Freeney are all available as well. 

ILB

1. Sean Weatherspoon            $3.8 million
  2. Vincent Rey                         $3.1 million
  3. Rolando McClain                 $2.6 million
  4. Shea McClellin                     $2.6 million
  5. Sean Spence                       $816K

**We have Jamari Lattimore and Erin Henderson of our own in FA, but Erin will be 30 by the time the season starts.

CB

1. Sean Smith                 $7.0 million
  2. Prince Amukamara     $6.8 million
  3. Jerraud Powers          $5.3 million
  4. Morris Claiborne         $6.8 million
  5. Nolan Carrol               $2.9 million
  6. Josh Norman              $1.5 million
  7. Janoris Jenkins          $1.5 million

COMMENTS.....GO!

Great thread Steve.  I haven't read any of the replies yet, but I will.  It would be cool if you up dated the thread as the players you recommended came off the board.   Leave your prediction of the cost, show new team, and cost.  

Personally if I were you I'd say "WTF"   I'm much to lazy to put that kind of commitment in.  :)

I kind of disagree with your 

"Andre Smith                 $6.3 million (will probably command too much money)" opinion.

If they dump Breno (and they should)  the Jets will save a bit under  $4 M. If your reasonably accurate with your 6.3 projection.  Simith will only cost 2 M against the cap  Smith might be worth it  

sanu and ladarius green would be a really good thing for the offense imo. we also need to draft a rb

Agreed.  They are both very underrated players that would blossom if they got a chance.  We need depth at WR because Decker and Marshall are going to keep taking a beating catching ducks from Fitz.

Great thread Steve.  I haven't read any of the replies yet, but I will.  It would be cool if you up dated the thread as the players you recommended came off the board.   Leave your prediction of the cost, show new team, and cost.  

Personally if I were you I'd say "WTF"   I'm much to lazy to put that kind of commitment in.  :)

I kind of disagree with your 

"Andre Smith                 $6.3 million (will probably command too much money)" opinion.

If they dump Breno (and they should)  the Jets will save a bit under  $4 M. If your reasonably accurate with your 6.3 projection.  Simith will only cost 2 M against the cap  Smith might be worth it  

Sorry dude, maybe this wasn't clear. Those are not predictions of costs, but rather what they earned in 2015, so as to get an idea of what they COULD command.

Sorry about that!

I really like the idea of signing Massie.  I think he should be the one big splash.

I think this FA season will be more about developing some solid second-level talent so there is not such a drop off from the 1st team.  By doing that, they can use the draft to pick the guys at positions like RB, OLB, and OT who are there when we pick.

I was on the Massie wagon train but he looked craptacular in the game yesterday.

Yes, he did not hold up well against that pass rush; but then again, neither did anyone on New England.  When you go up a pass rusher of that caliber, anyone would look crappy.

Yes, he did not hold up well against that pass rush; but then again, neither did anyone on New England.  When you go up a pass rusher of that caliber, anyone would look crappy.

I wouldn't want anyone from new england and they ran the ball like 3 times, they have more of an excuse.  Massie was not going up against von miller.

Archived