Jim Miller mock has Jets taking Jaylon Smith

AFJF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Until Jets get a real QB, the franchise isnt going anywhere fast. Spence is another Sheldon in making, if you cant play for Urban who can you play for?

The Big 10 actually threw him out, not Urb lol. I saw his interview at the Combine and I actually liked that he didn't stand there and spit out some agent-fed BS equating popping some E with killing someone, or how he's found God, etc. He said that he screwed up and knows he can't party with the same people if he wants to keep a job. If he's there at 20, the Jets can get the presumed/alleged best edge rusher in the draft and should do so. Hell, Von Miller was slamming Molly up until a year ago.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The Big 10 actually threw him out, not Urb lol. I saw his interview at the Combine and I actually liked that he didn't stand there and spit out some agent-fed BS equating popping some E with killing someone, or how he's found God, etc. He said that he screwed up and knows he can't party with the same people if he wants to keep a job. If he's there at 20, the Jets can get the presumed/alleged best edge rusher in the draft and should do so. Hell, Von Miller was slamming Molly up until a year ago.

Gawd if this kid turns out to be Vernon Part Deux, you may not ever be able to sign in at JN again. I did not watch Eastern Kentucky play. So I have not watched any gametape of him.  His Forty time wasnt great, but I do not weigh that as much as others. 

1 minute ago, afosomf said:

Gawd if this kid turns out to be Vernon Part Deux, you may not ever be able to sign in at JN again. I did not watch Eastern Kentucky play. So I have not watched any gametape of him.  His Forty time wasnt great, but I do not weigh that as much as others. 

I'm going off my memory of him at OSU and (God help me) draft experts, er, "experts." I only want to draft a QB or an edge rusher in the first.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If Darrin Walls, Jaylon Smith and Will Fuller were in a plane going down and Carl only had two parachutes to give out who would he choose?

He'd tie a parachute to each wing and then climb out onto the nose of the plane to absorb the impact with his body. 

In this scenario, Ezekiel Elliot would have to be a solid option. I know a lot of people don't like taking RBs in the first round, but to me it's a young man's position. If the kid is a stud, and they can draft him and get under contract for four years, $10M (a little more than last year's #20), that just seems like a win to me. With Ryan Fitzpatrick penciled in to start, and his backups being huge question marks, a stud RB would go a long, long way. 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who did Miller have us pick last year?

Year before?

It doesn't really matter. Mocking Carl is fun and all, but the real story here is that Jim Miller is one of the dumbest guys in football media. I know that's a high bar to clear, but we are talking about the only person who didn't vote Peyton Manning as MVP the year he set the single-season passing TD record.

21 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

This, unfortunately, is Marcus Lattimore part deux. I wouldn't touch Jaylon Smith. it would be a wasted pick.

Wasted pick? That's rich. Coming from a team that wastes picks on the regular. You have no idea what the future holds. Some team is going to get a fantastic value in the mid rounds. Wasted pick. Ha. Get real. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Wasted pick? That's rich. Coming from a team that wastes picks on the regular. You have no idea what the future holds. Some team is going to get a fantastic value in the mid rounds. Wasted pick. Ha. Get real. 

Smith is no wasted pick and SO WHAT A WASTED PICK WE HAVE WASTED SO MANY PICKS OVER THE YEARS WHATS ANOTHER?????????  

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It doesn't really matter. Mocking Carl is fun and all, but the real story here is that Jim Miller is one of the dumbest guys in football media. I know that's a high bar to clear, but we are talking about the only person who didn't vote Peyton Manning as MVP the year he set the single-season passing TD record.

Kind of my point.  Who is this  guy and why should anyone care who he mocks?  Its not even that, its how worked some get over a no nothing putting a player next to our team.  

4 hours ago, slats said:

In this scenario, Ezekiel Elliot would have to be a solid option. I know a lot of people don't like taking RBs in the first round, but to me it's a young man's position. If the kid is a stud, and they can draft him and get under contract for four years, $10M (a little more than last year's #20), that just seems like a win to me. With Ryan Fitzpatrick penciled in to start, and his backups being huge question marks, a stud RB would go a long, long way. 

Agreed here. If you're going to play the puny-armed QB, you better have guys that make plays for themselves. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Scott Zolak has to be the dumbest. I mean, Miller is stupid, but Zolak is certifiable. 

Agreed here. If you're going to play the puny-armed QB, you better have guys that make plays for themselves. 

How good do you think a rookie RB will perform when every single opponent will have 9 in the box challenging Fitz to beat them deep with his cannon arm?

19 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

How good do you think a rookie RB will perform when every single opponent will have 9 in the box challenging Fitz to beat them deep with his cannon arm?

I see your point, but running backs have historically done pretty well playing with Fitzpatrick. Chad Pennington had a nine-in-the-box arm. Fitzpatrick has a roll-the-corners-up arm. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Well considering no one attempted it last year and that the injured Ivory lead the AFC in rushing, I think a stud rookie back would do well. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Slamming Molly?

17 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Love Jaylon Smith's talent but if he has significant nerve damage then it's just not smart to pick him in round 1. 

Agreed . I been pro Smith since the offseason started. But Nerve damage is different ball game .. But if he was to fall to 3rd round I would take the risk .. Maybe even the 2nd depending who is on board at the time .

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jaylon Smith might not even go in the 4th round. That's how messed up his knee is.

If the board falls like this I think the Jets will have a good running game next year:   Ezekiel Elliott, 

12 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

A rookie RB won't have to perform if the defense puts 9 in the box. The Jets will have Marshall, Decker and Amaro on the field. Putting nine in the box is going to be called a Jets touchdown.

20 hours ago, slats said:

I think the league has proved, a stud RB does very little for you.

Which is why spending a #1 on a RB is bad business and I dont think Mac would do that.  Looking at Houston's draft history (not that is the end all be all) they took Ben Tate in the 2nd and Steve Slaton in the 3rd and their bell cow as a UDFA.  I really really hope a team with as many holes as the Jets dont take a RB in the 1st.  

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the league has proved, a stud RB does very little for you.

Which is why spending a #1 on a RB is bad business and I dont think Mac would do that.  Looking at Houston's draft history (not that is the end all be all) they took Ben Tate in the 2nd and Steve Slaton in the 3rd and their bell cow as a UDFA.  I really really hope a team with as many holes as the Jets dont take a RB in the 1st.  

A stud RB helped Seattle win a Super Bowl, and probably would've helped them win another if they gave him the ball at the end of the game. 

I'm a BAP guy all the way, and if Elliot is the BAP at #20, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger because he plays RB. It would fill one of the biggest holes on the roster right now. A stud RB helps Fitzpatrick now, as well as any young, inexperienced QB the team throws in there in the (hopefully) near future. a player like that stabilizes the offense, keeps it moving in bad weather. I recognize the devaluing of the position over the years, which is why I point out that they'd have him in his prime for just $2.5M/year. Again, if the kid is a stud, I'd consider that a bargain and a solid move. 

17 minutes ago, slats said:

A stud RB helped Seattle win a Super Bowl, and probably would've helped them win another if they gave him the ball at the end of the game. 

I'm a BAP guy all the way, and if Elliot is the BAP at #20, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger because he plays RB. It would fill one of the biggest holes on the roster right now. A stud RB helps Fitzpatrick now, as well as any young, inexperienced QB the team throws in there in the (hopefully) near future. a player like that stabilizes the offense, keeps it moving in bad weather. I recognize the devaluing of the position over the years, which is why I point out that they'd have him in his prime for just $2.5M/year. Again, if the kid is a stud, I'd consider that a bargain and a solid move. 

No.  A stud QB helped Seattle win a SB.  Lynch was there 2 seasons prior to Wilson, running wild to the tune of 7 wins on one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

I'm going to challenge you on being a BAP all the way guy because I'm pretty confident you and I have both been very adamant you dont take Guards in the top 10 when we arguing against Sherf's, Womack's of the world. etc when the Jets had a top 10 pick.  Could be mistaking you but I'm pretty sure it was you.

I dont see Elliot as a cant miss prospect.  I see the difference between him and say, Booker, Perkins, Procise, are very minimal.  sh*t, I could see Keith Marshall pulling a Terrell Davis.  

Also, I see 4 cant miss prospects coming out next year that all could go 1st rounds.  And I see an insanely strong FA RB class and I see a league where the RB position means very little.  7 1k rushers fewest in NFL history, 1 of them made the playoffs, none of them were on a top 10 offense.

Even if he is a stud, his impact will be minimal.  1st round just isnt a place to spending picks unless you're taking Toddy Gurley or Leonard Fournette, or Nick Chubb, or Christian McCaffery or Dalvin Cook. 

Archived