Alternatives if Fitzpatrick walks

hawk

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Colgateman said:

Obviously Bowles, but I think taking into account what everyone says is important

I'd dismiss the writers completely, and as the GM, I wouldn't expect Mac (or any other GM) to come out and say a guy has no shot to play.  I'd love to think Petty is bright enough that he progressed more rapidly than expected and could start, but it's not even as if Bowles said he has the number two job.  He said he's ready to compete to possibly be the no. 2.  I want this to work out and don't want another QB to get rushed.  Whenever Petty does get his shot, I hope he's finally the answer.

If they don't re-sign Fitz it's because of money. So you'd think they will sign someone on the cheap like a Matt Moore. But I think that Mac will come thru on Fitz the way he did finally with Wilk. He's deliberate and waited till almost the last day to tag him. Mac isn't crazy enough to not sign his starting Qb because of money. If he is and things don't work out (like a 4-12) he could be getting coffee next year in the Jags War Room along with his predecessor.

I mean Geno was named the starter over Fitz last season.  How many less games would we have won with Geno, honest question - I say 0-2.  So is an additional $10-15 million a year worth 1-2 extra wins, I honestly don't think so but I'm also not a genie so I have no idea how Geno would have done or will do.

But Geno is cheap, under contract, has to be super motivated with his career in the balance, chastened from last year's punch, knows the offense, and frankly I don't see any free agent THAT much of a better option.

I like Fitz back at $8-10 mill/yr - if he says no I'm fine with going with Geno or Petty.  And by fine, I mean I don't see any other option being far superior.

I mean Geno was named the starter over Fitz last season.  How many less games would we have won with Geno, honest question - I say 0-2.  So is an additional $10-15 million a year worth 1-2 extra wins, I honestly don't think so but I'm also not a genie so I have no idea how Geno would have done or will do.

But Geno is cheap, under contract, has to be super motivated with his career in the balance, chastened from last year's punch, knows the offense, and frankly I don't see any free agent THAT much of a better option.

I like Fitz back at $8-10 mill/yr - if he says no I'm fine with going with Geno or Petty.  And by fine, I mean I don't see any other option being far superior.

With Geno starting we loose 4-6 more games.

With any other average QB we loose 0-2 more games.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

http://nypost.com/2016/02/25/jets-to-give-petty-chance-to-take-no-2-qb-job-away-from-geno/

Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated this week that Petty will get to compete with Geno Smith for the backup job behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom the Jets expect to re-sign.

assuming the deal gets taken care of with Fitz ... Todd Bowles himself has indicated that Petty will compete for the backup spot

Petty will compete with Geno for the backup position???

SOJ.

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

And I am quoting facts that Mac and other Jets beat writers said.

What you said was from Mac was "Mac said he is very excited to get to work with Petty this offseason"

... Was there something else as well? That certainly does nothing to dispute the HC being in charge of who his starting QB is.

thank you for the laugh at the beat reporters having more say than the HC 

21 minutes ago, funaz said:

With Geno starting we loose 4-6 more games.

With any other average QB we loose 0-2 more games.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

horsebleep... we would be no worse than even with either Petty or Geno under center rather than Fitz. Our offense was not OK because of Fitz but because of Gailey ans Marshall. Period. Fitz did ONE thing well. He got rid of the ball fast. Bowles is a veteran QB type of guy, and it may be his downfall. He may never be willing to play a younger player

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hopefully Fitz will return and this is a mute topic.  Other options:

RG III

Brock Osweilier

Chase Daniel

Drew Stanton

Geno Smith

Bryce Petty

Matt Hasselback

Colt McCoy

That list makes my stomach hurt.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

horsebleep... we would be no worse than even with either Petty or Geno under center rather than Fitz. Our offense was not OK because of Fitz but because of Gailey ans Marshall. Period. Fitz did ONE thing well. He got rid of the ball fast. Bowles is a veteran QB type of guy, and it may be his downfall. He may never be willing to play a younger player

You realize your anti Fitz bias is showing very strongly to say that Geno ... Or Petty in his first year playing as well ?!?!? There should not be any drop off ????

wow

you sound like Tex or his alter-ego Colgate took over your signon as well

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets will or have already offered him a lower number than you would expect.   

They will dare someone to offer him more.   

Agreed, whatever amount Mac offered ... Fitz & his agent are waiting for Monday to see if any other teams will offer a better deal.  Let's hope our Front Office executive of the year knew what he was doing with his offer!

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hopefully Fitz will return and this is a mute topic.  Other options:

RG III

Brock Osweilier

Chase Daniel

Drew Stanton

Geno Smith

Bryce Petty

Matt Hasselback

Colt McCoy

MARK SANCHEZ....................... :) 

9 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Acording to many on this board, Fitz is so bad that they could replace him and the offense would improve.

While some think he's better than Joe Namath ever was since, you know, he broke a million year old franchise passing TD record. 

Must be Gannon. 

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

While some think he's better than Joe Namath ever was since, you know, he broke a million year old franchise passing TD record. 

Must be Gannon. 

This is ludicrous, as ludicrous as your love affair with Rex Ryan. Nobody thinks Fitzpatrick is all that at all, everyone realizes he is nothing more than a couple of season stop gap at best, who just happened to play competent QB play for the first time in a long time for this franchise, and that there are not really any other realistic options. Its highly unlikely that Petty is going to be ready, and having another season or two of Fitzpatrick to help him, or a drafted rookie learn the ropes and better prepare them for the NFL, is not a bad thing, and far better than watching Geno, or anyone else who is realistically available. Some fans are just so hell bent on hating Fitzpatrick that they cannot come to grips with the fact that best option != very good, or great, or even good for that matter.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

This is ludicrous, as ludicrous as your love affair with Rex Ryan. Nobody thinks Fitzpatrick is all that at all, everyone realizes he is nothing more than a couple of season stop gap at best, who just happened to play competent QB play for the first time in a long time for this franchise, and that there are not really any other realistic options. Its highly unlikely that Petty is going to be ready, and having another season or two of Fitzpatrick to help him, or a drafted rookie learn the ropes and better prepare them for the NFL, is not a bad thing, and far better than watching Geno, or anyone else who is realistically available. Some fans are just so hell bent on hating Fitzpatrick that they cannot come to grips with the fact that best option != very good, or great, or even good for that matter.

Stop gap? While a top 3 defense gets older and slower. A QB must be acquired now not next year or the year after. If the coaching staff and the organization think we need a QB then DAMMIT go out and get one,trade the entire damn draft for one. 

47 years and counting ENOUGH OF NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

It would, under Gailey.

Give him a young QB with NFL skills, and watch what happens.

Jets are going nowhere with Fitz.

TX, just stop.   Stop.

You know better than this.  Or are you just throwing chum in the water?

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Stop gap? While a top 3 defense gets older and slower. A QB must be acquired now not next year or the year after. If the coaching staff and the organization think we need a QB then DAMMIT go out and get one,trade the entire damn draft for one. 

Maybe if you scream about it and whine about it enough, a franchise QB will magically become available? Is that your plan? 

My kids do that too, but they are 4 and 7, and amazingly it does not work for them either.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

Maybe if you scream about it and whine about it enough, a franchise QB will magically become available? Is that your plan? 

My kids do that too, but they are 4 and 7, and amazingly it does not work for them either.

47 years and counting ..............  dragging your children into this........

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Defense already getting old and slow. A top 3 defense does not allow Tyrod Taylor and the Bills to gobble up 41 minutes of the clock in a must win situation. This defense needs major upgrades at LB and also in the secondary. This defense also produced zero pick sixes and no returns for TD's, game altering points that top defenses typically produce (SEE Denver).

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wahhh, wahhhh, wahhhh, I want a QB, wahhhhh, go get a QB, wahhhhhhhhh.

I am so angry we don't have Aaron Rodgers.

WAHHHHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My point proven you are immature and have nothing go find a new hobby pestering real Jets fans on a message board is annoying. 

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Maybe if you just pretend that he is great, Fitzpatrick will magically become a good QB? Is that your plan?

Just now, joewilly12 said:

My point proven you are immature and have nothing go find a new hobby pestering real Jets fans on a message board is annoying. 

LOL, yeah, I am the immature one.

You are the one who makes it like its soooooooooo easy to find franchise QB's, and the Jets just don't want to because they think Fitzpatrick is one, give me a break, its ludicrous.

If there was a franchise QB available the Jets would be fighting along with 10 other teams to try to get him, you act like they just grow on trees. Its a joke.

Archived