Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

If you've followed my posts you know by now I'm not a Fitz groupie although I would be OK with him coming back. I know there's a lot of Jets fans who have given up on Smith and at times I've almost thrown my beer through my 55" flat screen watching Geno. However I think coach Bowles is a straight shooter. I'm really impressed with his style of coaching and his demeanor on the sidelines. Remember what Coach said about Geno:                                                      Being in the system a year, he's light years ahead of where he was last year," Jets head coach Todd Bowles said today. "As far as being confident, operating the system and understanding the checks and running the offense, he's night and day where he was."

I don't see Bowles as a bullst$#er. I think he's confident Geno could do as good or better than Fitz hence the reason the pot hasn't sweetened for Fitz from the FO. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but if Coach is OK with Smith so am I. Smith definitely has something to prove and being in NY with our fan base we are brutal and intolerant to poor performance and losing. But being a Jet fan we are used to it. Go Jets.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Well, I WILL blame MacCagnan. There's no excuse for not getting the guy that played QB the best since Brett Favre was here. Especially when the going market rate for a veteran starting QB is around 18 million per season. Even more so no excuses when you consider Fitz was willing to play for less than 18 million per season. What will anger everyone even more is GENO starting. They'll see that stupid f*ck running out on the field, doing his best impression of a turnover machine, turning multiple positive plays into negative ones. They'll also be angry to begin with because they wanted so badly to see Geno Smith get cut altogether. Quite frankly, that's a pretty long list of reasons that are legitimate. Those are reasons just about everyone will see in the NY papers and it will make their blood pressure go through the roof.

Then he should have signed the only offer he's had; it's less than 18 million...

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Being a Jets fan has always been my thing. For you to question that shows how little you know. I always root for the team and YES, I tend to get very picky about the players. Don't like it? Don't read my posts. But most of all, I want what is best for the NYJ and under no circumstances will Geno Smith EVER be what is best for the team. Fitz on his worst day is far better than Geno could ever hope to be.

Hard to know a person with 452 posts that mainly show hate for Geno Smith and nothing but defending Ryan Fitzpatrick all the damn time. Great suggestion I wont miss your posts or your bad attitude. Fitzpatrick isn't good enough I want better for the team I root for my entire life. Ive seen what Fitzpatrick is and so have 5 other teams. Don't respond back because I don't give a rats ass about you or your opinion of the Jets or the QB situation.

19 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You make a good point. I always felt that he like a lot of football players have a certain figure in mind money wise. And if it's under that figure they won't play. He also has had two broken bones the past two seasons. So his leverage is then his willingness not to play. 

He has ZERO leverage until mid camp if Geno is playing poorly

46 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Then he should have signed the only offer he's had; it's less than 18 million...

He isn't asking for 18 million. Where did you get that? As for signing the only offer he's had. He's a free agent. He doesn't have to. You don't have to either in your job if you're a free agent. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets had a one year, $15.7(?)M offer on the table for Mo, and saved the team over $5M against the cap by signing him to a long term deal. Not to mention that he's a young, top five (or better) player at his position. 

Fitz is not, shall we say, a top five performer at his position. Also not young. And going from the three year deal on the table to the one year deal Fitz wants will almost certainly cost the team more -not less- against the cap this season. And even after Mo's cap cutting contract, the team is still tight against the cap with their first round pick still unsigned. 

So yeah, extremely different situations. 

The point that was being made was that Mac will not cave and that therefore the Jets will not pay above the team valuation on the player.

I imagine that Mo Wilkerson would have signed a deal @17M per year at any point during this lengthy process.  So Mac and the Jets did indeed come off their number in order to get the deal done.  (came off their number = caved).

You seem to be saying that since the pressures are different in Fitz's case that they would not do the same here.  Maybe so, maybe not, but the point I was responding to was the somewhat absolute declaration that the Jets/Mac simply does not and would not cave.

With respect to the lower pressure from the Fitz contract negotiations because of him not being a top-5 player.  Very true but on the other hand there is far greater pressure IMO if the QB situation goes seriously south under Geno.  If Geno is not significantly better as in 16 or so QB ranking spots (up to mid pack) better at least then the Jets W/L record will be perceived as being bad because Mac screwed around on the QB situation.   As I have said before there simply is no political cover for this GM in that scenario.  You have a popular QB, clearly the better QB  based on performance who was allowed to get away over a measly few million.   Mac is new to the job and so he gets a few Mulligans. This would not be a firing offense for him at this point in his tenure.   Nevertheless it would be widely perceived as a big strike against him and a strike that he really does not need to take.

Does he really want to go out of his way to take an unnecessary strike when the real answer at QB between Geno and Fitz is almost certainly "none of the above"?  Does he he want to be the 2nd Jets GM in a row to lose his job in part or in the whole based on how poorly Geno Smith plays the QB position?

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly Macc is not throwing big money at Fitz unless he has no other choice.

He has already thrown what you describe as big money at Fitz and for precisely that reason.

On July 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM, MaxAF said:

Fitz or no Fitz the Jets are going to have a good season and make the playoffs. I've been a Jets fan longer than many of you have probably been alive, 1969. I have endured the "same old Jets" syndrome for a generation but I think it's gonna be different this year. Why? Good coaching staff, a top 5 NFL defense, much improved speed at LB positions, a great tandem WR package, Matt Forte who is gonna open the Offense up on many levels and keep defences on their heels. Yeah the QB issue. Not worried about it. O line, a little concerned. Special teams ??? An unknown. Even with the schedule I'm optimistic for the first time in a long time. Can't wait. 

Well I've been one since 1967. And your assessment on not being worried about the QB issue w/o Fitz negates any instrinsic knowledge you have to wistful optimism.  This ain't a Disney movie. It's the NFL. 

Geno is like the bride who is hoping to walk down the aisle with her man while all the time preying that his former girlfriend, who he prefers over her does not decide that she would rather have him after all.

Must be pretty sad for Geno to be the ugly chick hoping to get a chance at some Fitzpatrick sloppy seconds.

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Geno is like the bride who is hoping to walk down the aisle with her man while all the time preying that his former girlfriend, who he prefers over her does not decide that she would rather have him after all.

Must be pretty sad for Geno to be the ugly chick hoping to get a chance at some Fitzpatrick sloppy seconds.

You need a hobby dude

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly Macc is not throwing big money at Fitz unless he has no other choice.

It's big money for you and me. But you have to understand this is not big money for the starting Qb position. It's the NFL and this business is huge. And Qb is the most popular and recognizable position in all of pro sports. The backup for Philly is getting something like 21 million close to what the Jets are offering Fitz. The 12 he countered with is not unreasonable.

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Sadder and more pitiful is fans like you who continually post this sh*t on a message board where most of us are sick and tired of it.

You hate Geno Smith we get it.

Look Fitzpatrick isn't going to get more money. And nobody has to cave in even though the Jets caved in to Wilk. It went down to the final 30 minutes when they offered him that contract. Chances are that Fitz will accept less money than the 12 he countered with. Not because it's unreasonable but because there are no other starting jobs and even if one opens up in training camp or during the season.teams probably won't have anything close to that amount of money budgeted. The only way Fitz can market himself for next year is to play and start in 2016. He obviously does not want to be Hack's backup or start and get paid like one. No one can guarantee a player a starting position contractually. But a good salary is one way to protect yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Chances are that Fitz will accept less money than the 12 he countered with. Not because it's unreasonable but because there are no other starting jobs ...

Oh I see what you're doing...

The Patriots have won Superbowls.  Not because they cheat, but because they don't follow the rules.

Tebow isn't in the NFL anymore.  Not because he sucks, but because teams don't think he's any good.

Fitz can't throw a deep ball.  Not because he has a girly arm, but because he takes daily estrogen shots.

18 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Oh I see what you're doing...

The Patriots have won Superbowls.  Not because they cheat, but because they don't follow the rules.

Tebow isn't in the NFL anymore.  Not because he sucks, but because teams don't think he's any good.

Fitz can't throw a deep ball.  Not because he has a girly arm, but because he takes daily estrogen shots.

Actually he does have an average arm and can throw the moderate to deep ball as another poster showed statistically a few days ago. I watched a Jets program on NFLN a few days ago, maybe you watched it too. About the 2015 season. And he made all the throws. Funny his receivers don't think he's a rag arm. If he sucked the way you say he does they wouldn't want him back. Friend or no friend off the field. Marshall was quoted as saying Fitz was his all time favorite Qb. So was TO. The ultimate Qb killer of all time. You guys don't want to listen to players or coaches or even the FO. But you'll probably get your wish. Looks like no signing. 

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

But you'll probably your wish. Looks like no signing. 

Until that offer is officially pulled, I'd say odds are Fitz comes back.  Though I really hope you're right.  

Macc has already shown he doesn't mind having the QB speculation hanging over OTAs, and he'll wait 'til the last possible minute to strike a deal (e.g. Wilkerson).  So this dragging on well into camp seems pretty damn likely.  And Fitz will most likely take his best (aka only) offer, unless there's an injury opening somewhere in next few weeks.

Watching this as a fan, it's tough to judge who's more foolish here:  Macc or Fitz.

17 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I am new to American football but I am trying to catch up and are watching as many games from 2015 as I can. I have to say, and take it easy, watching this Fitz-dude vs Eagles last year, I am not overly convinced of his greatness.

Yes, admittedly it does seem pretty obvious that Fitz is not a very good QB to the untrained eye.

You must spend weeks reviewing stats and smoking large quantities of crack.  Only then will you be enlightened enough to see the true brilliance known as FitzMagic.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Yes, admittedly it does seem pretty obvious that Fitz is not a very good QB to the untrained eye.

You must spend weeks reviewing stats and smoking large quantities of crack.  Only then will you be enlightened enough to see the true brilliance known as FitzMagic.

Imagine those who bought Fitzpatrick jerseys or those Fitz Magic t-shirts and grew beards LOL they think hes the greatest but in all actuality hes an unsigned journeyman QB that no team wants.

24 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Until that offer is officially pulled, I'd say odds are Fitz comes back.  Though I really hope you're right.  

Macc has already shown he doesn't mind having the QB speculation hanging over OTAs, and he'll wait 'til the last possible minute to strike a deal (e.g. Wilkerson).  So this dragging on well into camp seems pretty damn likely.  And Fitz will most likely take his best (aka only) offer, unless there's an injury opening somewhere in next few weeks.

Watching this as a fan, it's tough to judge who's more foolish here:  Macc or Fitz.

First of all not his only offer. And smart people don't always jump at the first offer or agree to a bad deal. I'm sure in your business you're not going to sign a contract for low pay. If you take a below standard salary it lowers your value in the open market. You wait and see if things improve. And right now there are no starting jobs, something you guys refuse to acknowledge. All you talk about is this is his best offer so he has to take it. And if he doesn't he's stupid. No he doesn't. Actually Fitz is cool on and off the field.

3 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Do I understand it correctly if I say 27th July is the deadline? Letting this go on any longer is profoundly stupid and simply unprofessional.

Yes you are correct the fact that's it gone on this long is pathetic all bets are on Fitzpatrick not playing for the NY Jets ever again.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Imagine those who bought Fitzpatrick jerseys or those Fitz Magic t-shirts and grew beards LOL they think hes the greatest but in all actuality hes an unsigned journeyman QB that no team wants.

It's the new thing these days for the kids to celebrate losers.

Fitz is like the new Napoleon Dynamite.

ND24-Skills__36683__53607.1428431523.300

fitzGreen.jpg?04e1b4

Gotta admit though, that is a sweet shirt.  If Fitz is re-signed, I may order one.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I think the Jets have made it very clear. They do not want to start Geno Smith. There is no Qb competition. 

I think the Jets have made it very clear , they do not want to pay Fitzpatrick starter's money. There certainly won't be any QB competition if Fitz doesn't agree to the Jets offer. 

11 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Do I understand it correctly if I say 27th July is the deadline? Letting this go on any longer is profoundly stupid and simply unprofessional.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes you are correct the fact that's it gone on this long is pathetic all bets are on Fitzpatrick not playing for the NY Jets ever again.

Yup, Joe is definitely correct here.  Doesn't mean it won't happen though.  It was profoundly stupid and unprofessional for Macc and Bowles to say Fitz was the starter all offseason when he wasn't even on the roster.  So those two have already proven they're not exactly the brightest tools in the shed.

Archived